Jan Bednarek

Pamplemousse

Hope he shows more promise than at euros

Wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw, very similar mould to Florin Gardos and personally felt there was better options in both the U20 and U21 tournaments.

Plenty of years ahead of him though to get his head down and work.

Hope this is more VVD than Forren/Gardos!

Don't know a thing about him. He's not even in my FM game FFS. Reed out.

Yeah, I'd rest a little easier if it wasn't quite as much cash. What the heck is happening with Gardos?

On the plus side, Semedo didn't look all that great when I saw him play either.

#BlackBoxMalware

Here's a Polish report:

8 million with bonuses - so it can get for Lech Poznan Jan Bednarek. So it is preparing the highest in the history of the transfer of the Polish league. 21-year-old defender will depart on Monday for medical tests to Southampton. If they fall out well, as early as this week sign an agreement with the eighth team of the Premier League last season.

Jan Bednarek flying to Southampton on Monday, and this means that the record signing comes on the final straight, and Lech earn on your money wycho****u fantastic. Poznan club also guaranteed a percentage of the next possible transfer. To date, the most expensive player from the Polish league was Adrian Mierzejewski from Polonia Warsaw, for which in 2011 the Turkish Trabzonspor paid 5.25 million euros, and the transfer record belonged to Kolejorz Roberta Lewandowskiego. Borussia Dortmund in 2010, paid to the account of the Poznań club 4.75 million euros.

In fact, our 8 million (over 32 million) is simply the sum of the space. But the English clubs, where watching the game nearly half a billion people around the world, receive huge amounts arising from television rights. They southampton the previous season will get well over 150 million euros, so be it for spending millions on transfers. In the last season of "Saints" on five new players they spent almost 80 million euros. Sofiane tasted so Boufał Manolo Giabbiadini, Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg, Nathan Redmond and Alex McCarthy. Jan Bednarek so it will be treated as an investment in the future, although it is said that if the left pillar of the defense Southampton Virgil van Dijk, is the way our youth representative to the basic composition of the Polish hard to be shortened. "Saints" are known, moreover, that are not afraid to put the young. This club was a springboard to the big teams for players like Sadio Mane, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren (Liverpool), Morgan Schneiderlin, Luke Shaw (ManU) and Calum Chambers (Arsenal).

Czytaj więcej: http://www.gol24.pl/ekstraklasa/a/transfery-lecha-poznan-w-tym-tygodniu-kolejorz-moze-zarobic-fortune,12210861/

If Gardos goes then we do have a vacancy for a Eastern European centre back brought in for circa 6 mil to never actually play. Florin performed that role with aplomb so this guys got quite the boots to fill.

So are we judging this boy who has played just 50 games for his club on one or two U21 matches for Poland ?

Oh dear :mcinnes:

Apparently so, and on that basis Ramirez was the new Le Tissier and Mane was as bad as Ali Dia. I am sure that the club have a better idea of what they are looking for then anyone on here.

Agreed with all who have said he didnt look particularly good in the couple of games at the u21's, but as is young should improve. Sounds like a Gardos, hopefully stays fit enough to actually be of use occasionally. Would much rather have Chambers back (proven at right and centre back) and get one of the other 'bigger name' centre backs we were linked with earlier in the summer to jump straight in if and when VVD goes.

We paid 11.5 million for Van Dijk to go straight into the first team as one of the first choice v pairing. So at half that we can surely safely assume that Bednarek comes in to challenge Stephens as the 3rd choice after Yoshida and Van Dijk. And will also be used to try and get the u21s back promoted at the first attempt.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Odd one this . Makes you wonder why we have bought this guy if no one can identify a single stand out skill .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

58 appearances for his club and 48 for his country(U-21s, U-20s, etc) and yet no one can identify a single stand out skill.

Can only assume he's well connected.

Thanks for identifying the obvious corruption endemic in Polish football.

Ah, the old patented Saintsweb "write them off before they've joined" thread. Good stuff.

He's obviously not going to be first choice, and in today's market that amount of money is peanuts in the Premier League, so even if he's not a hit, he's a fairly risk free investment. He's got the raw talents, tall, aggressive enough to get sent off the other day (!), and someone saw fit to pick him for Poland's U-21s so he can't be all bad. He'll likely be fourth choice behind VVD/new CB, Maya and Jack or even fifth choice if Gardos miraculously has a future so it's good for squad strength.

As long as we either keep VVD or replace him well, I can't see much wrong with this deal. And it gets the summer's transfer business started!

This has the appearance of a buy to improve the squad rather than a buy to improve the team. It would be nice to have gone for Chambers I guess but money comes into it.

Perhaps they still see Chambers as a possible replacement for Fonte?

I guess the scouts have seen something in him, because he didn't look any better than Alfie Jones during the U21 tournament.

I'm not writing him off before he has joined, just saying that it seems a strange signing: obviously not signed as a first team starter; young squad filler, blocking the path of home grown players.

Oh well, good luck to him. I hope he becomes our new Mark Wright.

I think this makes sense as a signing after the CB disaster we had in January, if one of VvD/Yoshi/Stephens gets injured/suspended (which is inevitable at some point in the season) then a half-decent fourth choice with potential to improve is important. I guess we've just got fed up with Gardos being permanently injured, expect to see him move along shortly.

We don't have a particularly good record for signing £5-6 million centre backs, Gardos and Forren being an example, but the guy is young, I doubt he's being bought for first team straight away and the club generally does their research on these players.

Also if you wrote of a player based on him having a poor summer tournament, then you'd basically have to say that pretty much every England player of the last 15-20 years is crap.

If JS and this bloke are the long term replacements for Fonte and Gardos I'm a bit disappoint TBH. Not saying Bednarek doesn't have potential as I've only seen his U21 game but I don't want half our CBs being kids next season.

Quite the team was second youngest in the league last season and we lacked leadership on the pitch after VVDs injury. I was hoping we might balance out the youth with a couple of older "captain" type players especially at the back were we needed an organiser for the back 5 unit.

If JS and this bloke are the long term replacements for Fonte and Gardos I'm a bit disappoint TBH. Not saying Bednarek doesn't have potential as I've only seen his U21 game but I don't want half our CBs being kids next season.

I suspect the club were surprised at how well Maya and Stephens did together last season. As was I.

Imo, this is how our CB cover has changed over the last year.

Vvd - Vvd

Fonte - Maya

Maya - Stephens

Gardos - Polish kid.

Spells the end for Gardos probably, but we have replaced him and Fonte with 2 young and likely to improve u21 international defenders. "The Saints way"

I suspect the club were surprised at how well Maya and Stephens did together last season. As was I.

Vvd - Vvd

Fonte - Maya

Maya - Stephens

Gardos - Polish kid.

Spells the end for Gardos probably, but we have replaced him and Fonte with 2 young and likely to improve u21 international defenders. "The Saints way"

Agree completely. And I would expect us to get in a 15-20 million replacement first choice if VVD leaves.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vvd - Vvd

Fonte - Maya

Maya - Stephens

Gardos - Polish kid.

This is what I'm afraid of.

Jack for Gardos I'm more than happy with but for me this is too much of a drop in quality and experience. If we get a couple of injures, would you really be happy with JS and JB playing together? Even as back up that's far too weak.

58 appearances for his club and 48 for his country(U-21s, U-20s, etc) and yet no one can identify a single stand out skill.

Can only assume he's well connected.

Thanks for identifying the obvious corruption endemic in Polish football.

48 games for the U21 side . Depending on the quality of the current U21 national side that means little .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This is what I'm afraid of.

Jack for Gardos I'm more than happy with but for me this is too much of a drop in quality and experience. If we get a couple of injures, would you really be happy with JS and JB playing together? Even as back up that's far too weak.

Yeah, that's not an ideal partnership you're right. But this time last year we'd have been equally as worried by a potential Yoshida/Gardos pairing.

The alternative would've been to sign Sakho or someone for big money and push Stephens down to 4th choice. He's done enough to prove he deserves better than that.

The report from Poland refers to this being an investment for the future but it's easy to see why there are questions about the size of the fee if Bednarek really does just slot behind Stephens as 4th or 5th choice. The press using this as an excuse to re-run the VVD rumours is to be expected but perhaps there is a connection if this is advanced planning for another season or two out of VVD. Being in the Poland u-21 team suggests a degree of quality and although he may be young for a Premier League CB, that is something he'll grow out of. We must assume his potential has been assessed by those whose job it is to do that.

Then there is the Gardos situation. When he joined Saints he was a 25-year old CB of international standard with a promising future but not many first team appearances followed, and then the knee injury. Now, three years later, he has less time to re-establish himself and if Bednarek signs, he faces more competition in the squad. Interesting to see if the club let Gardos go as it could indicate that VVD will not be leaving.

Certainly would be trying to sign a first choice CB to play alongside VVD, and a replacement for VVD if he leaves. Not sure we need this new bloke, which says to me we won't be signing a first choice CB.

VVD (NEW)

NEW

Yoshida

Stephens

The issue with the scenario you are putting forward is, what happens to Stephens? He came in second half of last season and arguably was one of the few shining lights to come out of it. Surely he needs more game time next season to progress further, not get shunted down to 4th choice.

If (and it's a big if) we can keep VVD, then I wouldn't mind seeing a VVD / JS partnership next season.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jan Bednarek