Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jan Bednarek

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Shout out to this lad the last two games. I saw him at Fulham and thought he was dreadful, but he's been pretty decent since coming into the side. Twice the player Stephens is would be surprised if Stephens comes straight back in
    Stephens will come back in, the dreadful Hoedt will be rightfully dropped. Hoedt will be good one day, but has a lot to do to get there. Stephens is infinitely better than Wesley.

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Stephens will come back in, the dreadful Hoedt will be rightfully dropped. Hoedt will be good one day, but has a lot to do to get there. Stephens is infinitely better than Wesley.
    Canít agree with that. IMO Wes is considerably the best of the 4...

Hoedt > Yoshida > Bednarek > Stephens IMO

I would put Yoshida first as he plays for the shirt and doesn't just wear it as a fashion statement.
    Jan has done well for his first two games but the semi could be harder as the pitch is wider.

Blog Entries

Canít agree with that. IMO Wes is considerably the best of the 4...

Despite the continuing mistakes he makes, costing us goals directly by his casual play. Also gives next to nothing goals wise. He will be a good player eventually but needs to cut out the mistakes. Stephens gets panned on here by some, yet makes very few mistakes, reads the game better, provides a threat up front, people also say he does not head the ball, which h is a complete myth.

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Despite the continuing mistakes he makes, costing us goals directly by his casual play. Also gives next to nothing goals wise. He will be a good player eventually but needs to cut out the mistakes. Stephens gets panned on here by some, yet makes very few mistakes, reads the game better, provides a threat up front, people also say he does not head the ball, which h is a complete myth.
    It is one thing heading the ball, it is another to head the ball before the person he is supposed to be marking.

Quote Originally Posted by SFC Forever View Post
    I would put Yoshida first as he plays for the shirt and doesn't just wear it as a fashion statement.
    Jan has done well for his first two games but the semi could be harder as the pitch is wider.
    Not a lot in it.

St Maryís 105 x 68 metres
    Wembley 105 x 69

Funny I thought it was a fair bit bigger. So maybe one less thing to fret over.

Thanks WG

Funny I thought it was a fair bit bigger. So maybe one less thing to fret over.

Thanks WG
    Youíre very welcome.

There has been a drive for standardisation over the last few years and most PL stadium pitches are the same size which is 105 x 68.

https://www.interestingfacts.org.uk/...remier-league/

Tottenham wanted to reduce of the Wembley pitch to match their old one at White Hart Lane but were refused permission.

A Category 4 stadium (the highest) is needed for international matches:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

Turning into our best centre back ?

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Looking that way. Was marshalling the defence today. Positionally good, and made some good blocks and tackles. I missed the first goal though so not sure if he could have prevented that.

Another really bad game from Hoedt, thought Bendarek and Yoshida were both alright, with Bednarek being the better of the two.

12. Default

One of the few bright moments in recent weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    I missed the first goal though so not sure if he could have prevented that.
    He tried to get to Giroud but tripped over McCarthy.

Still nowhere near good enough to start week in and week out in the Championship. We need two CBs to start next season.

He was very poor at Fulham and I criticised him. He's been fairly decent the past couple of games and he played well today. Certainly a lot better than another CB who played today.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    He was very poor at Fulham and I criticised him. He's been fairly decent the past couple of games and he played well today. Certainly a lot better than another CB who played today.
    I remember him having a good game at Fulham, out of position against Ryan Sessegnon too

I sincerely hope he isn’t dropped for Stephens next week.

Done alright. Better than Stephens.

Stephens red card might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Stephens red card might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
    I'd still rather Stephens than Hoedt!

I'd still rather Stephens than Hoedt!
    Itís depressing that we donít have better than either of those!

Bednarek should be starting for us next season if we go down so it makes sense to keep playing him. A solid season in the Championship, we get promoted and he goes on to be a Saints legend, captaining us to our eventual Champions League win in 2022.

Stephens is perhaps a choice for rb rather than cb though he does not instil me with confidence yet
    Last edited by SFC Forever; 25-04-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Played well against Bournemouth I thought

Quote Originally Posted by niceandfriendly View Post
    Played well against Bournemouth I thought
    He is highly rated by the Polish F.A.

Might be off to the world cup apparently...
    http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampto...ld-cup-chance/

The gloom around Southampton has turned into a nervous optimism ahead of the final games of the season.

Escape from relegation doesn’t seem impossible and whilst fans will be trying to stay calm and prepare for the worst, these are the days when football takes over a part of the stomach and turns it into a knot.

It’s also an exciting time for Jan Bednarek. Joining Southampton in the summer transfer window, the defender made his Premier League debut against Chelsea last month and scored a goal.

That, and Bednarek’s subsequent inclusions, has gained attention in Poland.

Fakt is one of the major daily newspapers in Poland and they report Bednarek has now earned himself a place in the 35 man extended squad for the World Cup. His hard work in silence has been noted, and there’s a pleasure at him now getting some time on the pitch for Southampton.

That the 22 year old has been able to withstand the huge pressure at his club is another tick for Fakt, and they state, as fact, that he’ll be in that squad.

Bednarek has ‘accelerated like a Ferrari’ at the end of this season, explains the Polish newspaper, and is clearly gaining new fans.

He has definitely done better than expected since he csme into the side, especially as he was fairly average for the U23s.

Good physical build and seems to do the simple things, and actually has played some nice passes, especially into Tadic.

Would be interesting to see him in a back four at some stage (next season) to really judge him.

I would like to see him paired with Jack Stephens next season as I still think Hoedt and Yoshida are both liabilities, playing 442 or 433

Can’t agree with that. IMO Wes is considerably the best of the 4...

I'd say he's our worst !

Bednarek has great potential.

He has found his feet and is performing really well in a pressure situation.

I think he is much more than a squad player now and a really realistic first team contender.

A fashion statement? You gotta be kiddin'. Fat lot of good this retro shirt has done us!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    A fashion statement? You gotta be kiddin'. Fat lot of good this retro shirt has done us!
    The shirt is fine .... it's some of the donkey's wearing it (and the clown choosing who to wear it and the tactics to play) that has been the problem!!

I haven't really noticed much of Bednarek in the last couple of games and I think that shows he is doing a decent job. Compare that to Hoedt, who seems to do quite a few noticeably good things, but also has the odd heart-stopping or obviously poor moment.

Just seen him in Winchester - appeared to be hobbling a bit.

Another solid display!

36. Default

Looks alright to me. Certainly our best available CB for Tuesday.

Years ahead of Hoedt and Stephens

Scary that this lad is now our best CB available for the next game after Yoshida's **** up...

Quote Originally Posted by vivasadio View Post
    Years ahead of Hoedt and Stephens
    And where has he been all season? We have had to suffer Stephens and Hoedt when we could have played him.

40. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    And where has he been all season? We have had to suffer Stephens and Hoedt when we could have played him.
    Pellegrino obviously didn't rate him and that's about the surest sign he's a good player you're ever likely to get.

Default Jan Bednarek

Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    Pellegrino obviously didn't rate him and that's about the surest sign he's a good player you're ever likely to get.
    And a sure sign that Pellegrino is not a judge of a good player.

42. Default Defender opens up about his personal journey through a rollercoaster first season...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    That was a very good read

JAN BEDNAREK INCLUDED IN POLAND’S 23-MAN WORLD CUP SQUAD

Fair play to him, he did well the tail end of the season.

45. Default

Quote Originally Posted by magnet View Post
    JAN BEDNAREK INCLUDED IN POLAND’S 23-MAN WORLD CUP SQUAD

Fair play to him, he did well the tail end of the season.
    Nice one! What a decent last few month he's had!

Give him a couple of years and the top 6 will be fighting to get him on their books.

Chuffed for the lad, and his inclusion will be to our benefit too.

He looks like a good acquisition now he has had his chance.

My favourite ever Saint ^_^

Gotta say well done to the lad. When I first saw him against Augsburg at the start of the season I thought he looked woeful. But he's obviously worked hard to improve and fit in, and now got his just rewards. Just goes to show, initial impressions can be misleading. (Hoping Carrillo shows the same improvement levels next season).

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk