Jan Bednarek

Pamplemousse

Can’t agree with that. IMO Wes is considerably the best of the 4...

Hoedt > Yoshida > Bednarek > Stephens IMO

Despite the continuing mistakes he makes, costing us goals directly by his casual play. Also gives next to nothing goals wise. He will be a good player eventually but needs to cut out the mistakes. Stephens gets panned on here by some, yet makes very few mistakes, reads the game better, provides a threat up front, people also say he does not head the ball, which h is a complete myth.

Despite the continuing mistakes he makes, costing us goals directly by his casual play. Also gives next to nothing goals wise. He will be a good player eventually but needs to cut out the mistakes. Stephens gets panned on here by some, yet makes very few mistakes, reads the game better, provides a threat up front, people also say he does not head the ball, which h is a complete myth.

It is one thing heading the ball, it is another to head the ball before the person he is supposed to be marking.

Funny I thought it was a fair bit bigger. So maybe one less thing to fret over.

Thanks WG

You’re very welcome.

There has been a drive for standardisation over the last few years and most PL stadium pitches are the same size which is 105 x 68.

https://www.interestingfacts.org.uk/which-club-has-the-smallest-pitch-in-the-english-premier-league/

Tottenham wanted to reduce of the Wembley pitch to match their old one at White Hart Lane but were refused permission.

A Category 4 stadium (the highest) is needed for international matches:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

Turning into our best centre back ?

Looking that way. Was marshalling the defence today. Positionally good, and made some good blocks and tackles. I missed the first goal though so not sure if he could have prevented that.

He was very poor at Fulham and I criticised him. He's been fairly decent the past couple of games and he played well today. Certainly a lot better than another CB who played today.

I remember him having a good game at Fulham, out of position against Ryan Sessegnon too

Might be off to the world cup apparently...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-player-accelerated-like-ferrari-will-given-world-cup-chance/

The gloom around Southampton has turned into a nervous optimism ahead of the final games of the season.

Escape from relegation doesn’t seem impossible and whilst fans will be trying to stay calm and prepare for the worst, these are the days when football takes over a part of the stomach and turns it into a knot.

It’s also an exciting time for Jan Bednarek. Joining Southampton in the summer transfer window, the defender made his Premier League debut against Chelsea last month and scored a goal.

That, and Bednarek’s subsequent inclusions, has gained attention in Poland.

Fakt is one of the major daily newspapers in Poland and they report Bednarek has now earned himself a place in the 35 man extended squad for the World Cup. His hard work in silence has been noted, and there’s a pleasure at him now getting some time on the pitch for Southampton.

That the 22 year old has been able to withstand the huge pressure at his club is another tick for Fakt, and they state, as fact, that he’ll be in that squad.

Bednarek has ‘accelerated like a Ferrari’ at the end of this season, explains the Polish newspaper, and is clearly gaining new fans.

He has definitely done better than expected since he csme into the side, especially as he was fairly average for the U23s.

Good physical build and seems to do the simple things, and actually has played some nice passes, especially into Tadic.

Would be interesting to see him in a back four at some stage (next season) to really judge him.

I would put Yoshida first as he plays for the shirt and doesn't just wear it as a fashion statement.

Jan has done well for his first two games but the semi could be harder as the pitch is wider.

A fashion statement? You gotta be kiddin'. Fat lot of good this retro shirt has done us!

I haven't really noticed much of Bednarek in the last couple of games and I think that shows he is doing a decent job. Compare that to Hoedt, who seems to do quite a few noticeably good things, but also has the odd heart-stopping or obviously poor moment.

And where has he been all season? We have had to suffer Stephens and Hoedt when we could have played him.

Pellegrino obviously didn't rate him and that's about the surest sign he's a good player you're ever likely to get.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gotta say well done to the lad. When I first saw him against Augsburg at the start of the season I thought he looked woeful. But he's obviously worked hard to improve and fit in, and now got his just rewards. Just goes to show, initial impressions can be misleading. (Hoping Carrillo shows the same improvement levels next season).

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jan Bednarek