Sky Sports - No 'top' players leaving Southampton this summer.

Lallana's Left Peg

All the way along since Liebherr took over, despite having the appearance of a selling club, when we've sold, it's been because we thought we could do better with the money rather than keeping the player to make us better on the pitch.

There's been a few reasons that have weighed it in favour of selling more often than not, usually down to not having long left on a contract or the player kicking up one heck of a stink, along with a decent amount of money being offered. There have been a few times when keeping the player made sense for us. Wanyama and Schneiderlin being the obvious examples. More often than not we've been right, our squad has been steadily getting stronger.

Looks like we're finally seeing a summer where it makes more sense to keep all of our best players than sell.

Except sadly that's not true, the summer of Poch and the rest we HAD to sell because of the state that the mad midget had left our finances, in fact that hangover has been ongoing right up to this season and the club have even alluded to it in interviews.

I'm regularly stunned by how few people actually get the damage he did, the facts are right in front of most people's eyes, from loans taken out; player sales; club finance reports and the rest, he was successful to get us to where we were but did it on mountains of debt and we had to clear that as the Leibherrs wouldn't live with it.

This summer we're finally in a position where comments like that have a bit more credence, but the truth is if the money's right, or the player is unsettled, then we will still sell.

Another benefit of holding off on selling VvD to Liverpool is that they really really need him. I'm struggling to think of a single alternative they could go for.

There's every chance that without him, they won't have Champion's League football to offer after next season and they'll find it even more difficult to get him.

This summer we're finally in a position where comments like that have a bit more credence, but the truth is if the money's right, or the player is unsettled, then we will still sell.

By definition, any player that wants to move is "unsettled", ergo, by that measure, nothing will have changed this close season compared to previous close seasons. In other words, if a player wants to go then we'll sell (at the right price).

Another benefit of holding off on selling VvD to Liverpool is that they really really need him. I'm struggling to think of a single alternative they could go for.

There's every chance that without him, they won't have Champion's League football to offer after next season and they'll find it even more difficult to get him.

But it's not just the pull of the Champions League. It's getting the opportunity to run and hug Klopp. That's what any player dreams of.

you could but you'd be wrong :p

That's me assuming we're signing Jan Bednarek, mind.

And note the condition "no sales"....I'd quite happily see Forster sold/replaced...but it isn't Christmas yet.

Edited by Donatello

Its very easy to selectively pick and choose his words, and that's how the press spins things. As far as I make out the intention is not to sell anyone except those who it is best for both parties, so open season. I would rather he said one of two things.....1) yeah we will sell X,Y, and or Z if we get these amounts for them; or 2) we categorically will not sell X,Y, and Z. He has not stemmed possible rumour-mongering and his words are open to any interpretation. Poor leadership. What's worse is that when you listen to him saying those words I get the impression that even he does not believe himself. He stutters, and does not come across at all confident. Poor leadership.

He does himself no favours and has the arrogant attitude displayed by so many of our politicians, saying what he perceives to be what people want to see but also towing the party line, without actually saying anything. Poor leadership.

I've never been more sure that he has to stand down and appoint his successor.....because he must have a list of who that will be in his master succession plan?!

".....just because of fashion/to get people excited"

What is it? Read half a sentence day? :D

Fair point but I'm not sure what those words are supposed to mean! When have we ever signed a player for "fashion" or purely to "get people excited"?

"there is no need to bring in players" is clearly complete ********.

But that is not what was said ! People seem to find the words they want to back up their point of view. He actually said this......

"We've got a strong squad now and it would be about adding players bringing more value and power. It's not broken so there is no need to bring in players just because of fashion or to get people excited in the transfer market."

He clearly says that bringing players in would be about value and power, ie players that can make a difference.

He also says there is no need to bring in players just because people want to get excited.

Seems perfectly reasonable. Don't just highlight extracts out of context to back up your view. Look at the whole statement.

Mark SFC since we came back to the premier league we have had ever improving finishes pretty much. We established ourselves in the top ten and are generally regarded as the best of the rest.

Had we booted out Les Reed a few years ago can you tell me what you think we would have achieved that was better than what we actually did ?

Lol what's going on here?...trolled?

Best thing you can hope for is this club being sold or you're gonna lose players in the summer.

Owner won't pay wages, board will sell you down the river in a heartbeat.

Like making players sign contracts then the clubs up for sale.

Just saying. Who to believe more? Les or AR10?

Mark SFC since we came back to the premier league we have had ever improving finishes pretty much. We established ourselves in the top ten and are generally regarded as the best of the rest.

Had we booted out Les Reed a few years ago can you tell me what you think we would have achieved that was better than what we actually did ?

You miss my point totally, that's not what I am saying. Players and Managers have come and gone in order to take the club forward and Reed has overseen that. NOW is the time for Reed to be succeeded to help us progress further. True leaders know when its time to move on.

I read the article in a positive way,reed says that the squad will be fine tuned in terms of players coming in which is all we need then says that there may be players going if it suits us,surely he is talking about players such as jay rod,gardos etc

You miss my point totally, that's not what I am saying. Players and Managers have come and gone in order to take the club forward and Reed has overseen that. NOW is the time for Reed to be succeeded to help us progress further. True leaders know when its time to move on.

I've seen some nonsense on here, really I have, but this exceeds most of it.

"None of these players are for sale" is a VERY different message to the "we don't want to sell any of these players...but" message of previous summers. Though that does sound like he was responding to a list, so I'd like to know who was specifically mentioned.

As ever, we'll see what it looks like in September.

And FWIW, if we don't sell anyone significant, I'd have us down for a top 4 challenge. As I would have under Puel, FWIW, but no point talking about that any more.

4th ? With Puel ??

Comedy gold ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I read the article in a positive way,reed says that the squad will be fine tuned in terms of players coming in which is all we need then says that there may be players going if it suits us,surely he is talking about players such as jay rod,gardos etc

Before Sky interviewed Reed they were quoting that Saints had told Pellegrino that none of our top players would be sold such as VVD specifically and eg Soares. In the interview the first question was that statement which Reed immediately confirmed those players would not be sold.

The bit in bold says it all,in other words,if the price is right you can have them,same **** different year,Les Reeds annual come and get them plea

feels more pointed towards the probable Rodriguez departure

Except sadly that's not true, the summer of Poch and the rest we HAD to sell because of the state that the mad midget had left our finances, in fact that hangover has been ongoing right up to this season and the club have even alluded to it in interviews.

I'm regularly stunned by how few people actually get the damage he did, the facts are right in front of most people's eyes, from loans taken out; player sales; club finance reports and the rest, he was successful to get us to where we were but did it on mountains of debt and we had to clear that as the Leibherrs wouldn't live with it.

I have always maintained the dwarf did a good job until 2/3rd of the way through our championship season then it all went to sh*t. His ego ran away with him. I warned time and time again on here what he was doing and was shouted down for being a troll, having an agenda against Cortese etc. Some of the things like the spoon incident, getting banned from a city centre restaurant and his own, private toilet were funny but also a measure of what the crazy dwarf was like. Then there were his transfer dealing as well as treatment of existing players, the decreasing commercial revenues despite two promotions, the revolving door of senior back office staff who just couldn't work under him and of course the debt and the loans the list goes on. Yet people wouldn't have it.

I have always maintained the dwarf did a good job until 2/3rd of the way through our championship season then it all went to sh*t. His ego ran away with him. I warned time and time again on here what he was doing and was shouted down for being a troll, having an agenda against Cortese etc. Some of the things like the spoon incident, getting banned from a city centre restaurant and his own, private toilet were funny but also a measure of what the crazy dwarf was like. Then there were his transfer dealing as well as treatment of existing players, the decreasing commercial revenues despite two promotions, the revolving door of senior back office staff who just couldn't work under him and of course the debt and the loans the list goes on. Yet people wouldn't have it.

Don't forget his own house he was having built and his love of a lawyer for slightest affront (and some that weren't an affront at all, and would've just wasted the clubs money and time had he pursued them)...

To be fair i do remember you bringing them up at the time, the problem here is that people are almost religious in their belief the club can do no wrong and even in the face of evidence refuse to accept the truth.

Without him, we can hope they won't have Champions League football after the end of August. Everyone assumes they are going to qualify.

Fair play to Les Reed.

He's got rid of a very unpopular manager. Recruited one who likes to play the sort of football we all love to watch. He has clearly stated that our top players aren't going to be sold this Summer.

Good enough for me.

bit early to proclaim that after what? zero matches played under the new guy...

What an arsehole. Troll MarkPFC

Its very easy to selectively pick and choose his words, and that's how the press spins things. As far as I make out the intention is not to sell anyone except those who it is best for both parties, so open season. I would rather he said one of two things.....1) yeah we will sell X,Y, and or Z if we get these amounts for them; or 2) we categorically will not sell X,Y, and Z. He has not stemmed possible rumour-mongering and his words are open to any interpretation. Poor leadership. What's worse is that when you listen to him saying those words I get the impression that even he does not believe himself. He stutters, and does not come across at all confident. Poor leadership.

He does himself no favours and has the arrogant attitude displayed by so many of our politicians, saying what he perceives to be what people want to see but also towing the party line, without actually saying anything. Poor leadership.

I've never been more sure that he has to stand down and appoint his successor.....because he must have a list of who that will be in his master succession plan?!

Mate, you told me it is strong leadership to sack a manager early into his tenure if performing poorly to appoint someone better which is what it looks like we have done.

Mate, you told me it is strong leadership to sack a manager early into his tenure if performing poorly to appoint someone better which is what it looks like we have done.

True, I did!!

That's aside he still comes across poorly and weak to me. I never find him very sincere. Do you think the decision to get rid of Puel was solely his decision? I don't. It will of been a group decision by Kruger, him et al, and I suspect he was convinced rather than convincing them.

But when you put yourself out there as the clubs main spokesman you need to sound far more in control, sincere, confident, believable and motivational than he ever does.

Time for retirement....

"We've got a strong squad now and it would be about adding players bringing more value and power. It's not broken so there is no need to bring in players just because of fashion or to get people excited in the transfer market."

bit worrying I think we have several big areas of weakness in the squad namely central midfield, attacking options and the goal keeper...

I'd be interested to see if MP came make use of Hesketh, Sims, Boufal and Tadic in the advanced space.

We also have JWP, Højbjerg, Clasie, Reed and Davis for other midfield slots so I'm hopeful MP can solve the midfield conundrum we have.

I'm sorry you can't come to terms with the sacking of Puel.

Give the Samaritans a call.

But he's spot on. How on earth can you proclaim MP plays the football we all love to watch when you have likely never seen a game he has managed? Can I remind you that Alaves finished 9th and got to a Cup Final and scored very few goals?

He may be brilliant - and I truly hope he is - but to make the statement you made without anything to back it up is purely nonsense.

Funny how MP is getting the benefit of the doubt from people on here whereas Puel never got that same treatment.

But he's spot on. How on earth can you proclaim MP plays the football we all love to watch when you have likely never seen a game he has managed? Can I remind you that Alaves finished 9th and got to a Cup Final and scored very few goals?

He may be brilliant - and I truly hope he is - but to make the statement you made without anything to back it up is purely nonsense.

Funny how MP is getting the benefit of the doubt from people on here whereas Puel never got that same treatment.

Read up on the Spanish experts and how Alaves played. He prefers a pressing game, and unlike Puel, will tailor his tactics depending on the opposition.

F*ck me, it's like saying if Allardyce became our manager how do you know he'll play hoofball until we've played a match. Coaches preferred tactics are in their DNA. It's not rocket science.

I'm sorry you can't come to terms with the sacking of Puel.

Give the Samaritans a call.

LOL behave its got nothing to do with Puel and every thing to do with you talking ****e. That would be a fine statement to make once he has managed a few games and got us playing like Brazil in their pomp but its a complete load of bollix to spout before a ball has been kicked in anger we haven't even had a friendly yet...:mcinnes:

So they leave next summer? Whats the point he's with that?

Always funny to see comments like these, like he would say that the top players are for sale.

In other words, water is wet.

I think the vast majority of us are OK with Van Dijk leaving next summer, bar a miraculous top 4 finish or a top 6 +cup win.