Sky Sports - No 'top' players leaving Southampton this summer.

Lallana's Left Peg

You can make your own mind up as to how solid 'Sky sources' are but potentially some good news:

‘VAN DIJK, SOARES TO STAY’

Sky sources understand Southampton will not sell any of their top players this summer after reassuring new manager Mauricio Pellegrino that the likes of Virgil Van Dijk and Cedric Soares would remain at the club.

Van Dijk has been linked with a move to Liverpool, while Soares is rumoured to be attracting the interest of Tottenham and even Barcelona.

However, SSNHQ also understands that Spurs have two top targets should Kyle Walker – a target for Man City - leave the club and Soares is not one of them.

One is believed to be Porto’s Ricardo Pereira.

If we get anything around the value of £70/£75m for VVD we will (rightly, IMO) sell.

Still fairly sure that Bertrand will be leaving, unless MP can somehow convince him to stay. I'd consider him a 'top player'.

Cedric wasn't happy at the end of the season and he wanted out (I assume all the links have come from his Agent). If that is still the case, or if we would consider selling, I don't know.

Other than the above, I can only see us off loading (Sell or Loan) JRod (certainly) and possibly Clasie, Targett, Tadic and Long or Austin (dependent on who we bring in).

I think Bertrand is a top player myself.

Yeah, pretty sure he'd be included in that statement. Hopefully.

I don't see where he's going to end up anyway, not many clubs available for him south of london (given the work he's just done on his Surrey place, not sure he'd want to ditch that to move north)

Les Reed live on Sky for about five minutes. said little, usual propaganda, strong squad, odd individuals may go suiting both parties, one or two first team players may be bought plus for the future. Puel good guy but needed a change to move forward over the next five years, where the club wanted to be and Pellegrino was the best man to do that. No Pellegrino targets but have taken him through the players that the club have been tracking.

Les Reed live on Sky for about five minutes. said little, usual propaganda, strong squad, odd individuals may go suiting both parties, one or two first team players may be bought plus for the future. Puel good guy but needed a change to move forward over the next five years, where the club wanted to be and Pellegrino was the best man to do that. No Pellegrino targets but have taken him through the players that the club have been tracking.

As predicted....didn't think it would be that quick though.

We can probably expect a major player sale in the next 48hours then....

All the way along since Liebherr took over, despite having the appearance of a selling club, when we've sold, it's been because we thought we could do better with the money rather than keeping the player to make us better on the pitch.

There's been a few reasons that have weighed it in favour of selling more often than not, usually down to not having long left on a contract or the player kicking up one heck of a stink, along with a decent amount of money being offered. There have been a few times when keeping the player made sense for us. Wanyama and Schneiderlin being the obvious examples. More often than not we've been right, our squad has been steadily getting stronger.

Looks like we're finally seeing a summer where it makes more sense to keep all of our best players than sell.

I'd imagine if someone offers us £75 million for Van Dijk he'd go, that is silly money.

I'd also reckon we'd be hard pressed to stop Cedric going to Barcelona as well, it's one thing not selling to Liverpool, club in your league, essentially rivals you want to challenge against, it's another not selling to one of the greatest clubs in the world.

I'd imagine if someone offers us £75 million for Van Dijk he'd go, that is silly money.

I'd also reckon we'd be hard pressed to stop Cedric going to Barcelona as well, it's one thing not selling to Liverpool, club in your league, essentially rivals you want to challenge against, it's another not selling to one of the greatest clubs in the world.

I can actually see players being reluctant to move to Spain, at least for a while, until the tax situation there settles down.

pathing the way for no new players coming in

What are you basing this ridiculous assumption on? Please tell me a recent summer transfer window when we haven't brought, at least 1, first team player in?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/10929681/southampton-to-keep-virgil-van-dijk-and-cedric-soares-after-agreement-with-mauricio-pellegrino

Executive director Les Reed told Sky Sports News HQ: "None of those players are for sale. I can't make it any plainer than that and that's the way we mean to go forward.

"We built this squad over some time and think we have a strong squad. We will fine-tune it but, other than that, we are looking forward to a very competitive season next year and we plan to go forward on that basis.

"There may be players that go on the basis it is the right thing for them and the club at that given time, but we don't expect that to be wholesale and this is simply doing sound business in the transfer window.

"We track players over years and when the new manager comes in like Mauricio, we take him through that process. He'd done his homework on our squad and we don't believe we need to turn over players every year just to freshen things up.

"We've got a strong squad now and it would be about adding players bringing more value and power. It's not broken so there is no need to bring in players just because of fashion or to get people excited in the transfer market."

Players will leave abd they will say something like "we had no intention of selling players but pellegrino has decided to let some go for squad harmony and to improve the squad." it would be naive to think otherwise.

"None of these players are for sale" is a VERY different message to the "we don't want to sell any of these players...but" message of previous summers. Though that does sound like he was responding to a list, so I'd like to know who was specifically mentioned.

As ever, we'll see what it looks like in September.

And FWIW, if we don't sell anyone significant, I'd have us down for a top 4 challenge. As I would have under Puel, FWIW, but no point talking about that any more.

Edited by The9

It would be great to have just 1 season (well more actually) where we kick on with the squad rather than lose 3/4 main players and have to replace them first.

Keep the "top players" and let Jay Rod etc.. leave to allow us to improve the squad. With a new CB our defence is well set, another defensive centre mid to play along side Romeu and a real creative midfielder and we should be set. 2 or 3 first teamers in and Jay Rod, Claise etc.. to go to (part) fund these roles.

"We've got a strong squad now and it would be about adding players bringing more value and power. It's not broken so there is no need to bring in players just because of fashion or to get people excited in the transfer market."

bit worrying I think we have several big areas of weakness in the squad namely central midfield, attacking options and the goal keeper...

All the way along since Liebherr took over, despite having the appearance of a selling club, when we've sold, it's been because we thought we could do better with the money rather than keeping the player to make us better on the pitch.

There's been a few reasons that have weighed it in favour of selling more often than not, usually down to not having long left on a contract or the player kicking up one heck of a stink, along with a decent amount of money being offered. There have been a few times when keeping the player made sense for us. Wanyama and Schneiderlin being the obvious examples. More often than not we've been right, our squad has been steadily getting stronger.

Looks like we're finally seeing a summer where it makes more sense to keep all of our best players than sell.

You are just repeating what Ralph Kreuger said a month or so ago.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Running a football club of our stature and means is no easy task, all things given, since our return to the Premiership I think we've got it pretty much right.

You are just repeating what Ralph Kreuger said a month or so ago.

I don't know off hand what Kreuger said, but my words have been the same for a while...

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50943-Lovren-joins-Liverpool-Official&p=1992546#post1992546

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57504-Virgil-Transfer-Rumours-Summer-17&p=2424095#post2424095

bit worrying I think we have several big areas of weakness in the squad namely central midfield, attacking options and the goal keeper...

It is....when you selectively quote half a sentence. And he's right, it isn't broken. With no sales, you could argue we only *really* need a DM. Replacing Forster is a luxury, not a necessity....not when we have McCarthy too.

Usual Les waffle though, which I don't tend to get too invested in these days.

Edited by Donatello

"there is no need to bring in players" is clearly complete ********.

We need a centre back, combative and energetic central midfielder and ideally a decent offensive player to jump above Long and Jay Rod in the pecking order. That's assuming no sales of any key players.

It is....when you selectively quote half a sentence. And he's right, it isn't broken. With no sales, you could argue we only *really* need a DM. Replacing Forster is a luxury, not a necessity....not when we have McCarthy too.

Usual Les waffle though, which I don't tend to get too invested in these days.

you could but you'd be wrong :p

"there is no need to bring in players" is clearly complete ********.

We need a centre back, combative and energetic central midfielder and ideally a decent offensive player to jump above Long and Jay Rod in the pecking order. That's assuming no sales of any key players.

".....just because of fashion/to get people excited"

What is it? Read half a sentence day? :D

Edited by Donatello

The bit in bold says it all,in other words,if the price is right you can have them,same **** different year,Les Reeds annual come and get them plea

Executive director Les Reed told Sky Sports News HQ: "None of those players are for sale. I can't make it any plainer than that and that's the way we mean to go forward.

"We built this squad over some time and think we have a strong squad. We will fine-tune it but, other than that, we are looking forward to a very competitive season next year and we plan to go forward on that basis.

"There may be players that go on the basis it is the right thing for them and the club at that given time, but we don't expect that to be wholesale and this is simply doing sound business in the transfer window.

"We track players over years and when the new manager comes in like Mauricio, we take him through that process. He'd done his homework on our squad and we don't believe we need to turn over players every year just to freshen things up.

A strong squad based on what though, last season which we arguably underperformed as far as points go. This season should see every team around us improve with the money available and with all 7 teams that finished above us likely to go hell bent on the top four we have to add quality not quantity.

Even if the new manager gets us playing in a more Southampton way we could be no better off so we do really need a couple of players who are better than what we already have.