Football/sports Autobiographies

stug76

Anyone got any recommendations for football/sports autobiographies? It's for my son, 15yrs. Nothing too deep, something easy going preferably from someone a 15 year old would know. He has read and enjoyed Rio Ferdinands and Howard Webbs book, so keen to keep him interested.

Cheers

Anyone got any recommendations for football/sports autobiographies? It's for my son, 15yrs. Nothing too deep, something easy going preferably from someone a 15 year old would know. He has read and enjoyed Rio Ferdinands and Howard Webbs book, so keen to keep him interested.

Cheers

Sam Allardyce? Quite a range from player, club manager and England manager. Bit of history to the game for your 15 to read about whilst still being reasonably contemporary. Got good reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Sam-My-Autobiography-Allardyce/dp/1472232674

Cheers

Two that I've enjoyed the most are 'Red' by Gary Neville and Roy Keane's.

Both really well written, but Red is stand-out, very very good.

Le Tiss' autobiography was bloody awful - basic, poorly written, no real insight, quite poor - he should do another and start again.

But there are loads of good ones out there.

One of the best books I've ever read is "Grovel" the story of Clive Lloyds WI tour of England in 76. It maybe for blokes of a certain vintage, but it's a great story highlighting the second best sports story that long hot summer.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1157640.Grovel_

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Pele's autobiography was a brilliant read in my opinion. Even though he was before my time, he's still a football legend and really enjoyed it.

Also, I quite enjoyed the secret footballer books. Understand these aren't to everybody's liking, but some fascinating stories.

Pele's autobiography was a brilliant read in my opinion. Even though he was before my time, he's still a football legend and really enjoyed it.

Also, I quite enjoyed the secret footballer books. Understand these aren't to everybody's liking, but some fascinating stories.

Secret footballer books are quite interesting - perfect holiday reading actually as you don't need to take too much notice of what's written.

Secret footballer books are quite interesting - perfect holiday reading actually as you don't need to take too much notice of what's written.

I particularly enjoyed the bits about how he went after pompey to get the money he was owed after the chairman at the time was slagging him off from the stands. I was trying to work out which chairman it would have been given they've had so many. Storrie?

Zlatan's was a great read.

I've read some crackers and some crap:

The Secret Footballer 9/10

The Nowhere Men 7/10

Zlatan 9/10

Pirlo 8/10

Being Iniesta 4/10

Cryuff - my turn 6/10

Inverting the pyramid 6/10

Harry Redknapp 5/10

Robert Enke 8/10

Soccernomics 8/10

Pep confidential 8/10

Pele 2/10

Das Reboot 6/10

The secret agent 7/10

Barca 7/10

Alex Ferguson 6/10

Living on a volcano 9/10

The Mixer 7/10

Marcelo Bielsa - Revolution 8/10

Still to read that I've brought or been brought:

No Hunger In Paradise

Carlo Ancelotti - Quiet Leadership

Joey Barton

Read a long time ago but Gazza - My Story was a good read for me, entertaining and tragic.

If you like your boxing I've recently read Barry McGuigan's Cyclone and also Dark Trade by Donald McRae who followed a number of fighters around and got in close and personal. Starts off with his early life in a tough area of South Africa growing up with Ali as a hero before moving to London. Great insight into the worlds of the likes of Tyson, Tomey in the US and good sections on Watson, Benn, Eubank and others. Both good reads.