The Pre Season 2017 Thread

Wimborne_saint

So, 48 hours into pre-season and still no interview with the captain. Something's not right. (Said trousers stating the blindingly obvious)

No interview with the manager about how it's been so far, little mention of the players, few games announced, this must be the most secretive pre season we have had. Anyway I trust the club they know what they are doing and looking forward to seeing more videos and pictures of the pre season.

Squad are heading to Austria on Monday for a week which will be an intensive training camp with one game planned. Then returning for the Brentford game on 22nd July, before going to France two days later. 'Saints will be revealing friendly matches for their trips to the continent imminently.' - http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15389768.Saints_set_to_announce_Mauricio_Pellegrino_s_backroom_team__with_Eric_Black_staying_on/?ref=rss

Fairly long video on Saints twitter site of the first proper pre-season session.

MP seems very hands on. He is directing all the outfield player drills on his own.

No sign of Eric Black. Kelvin and Dave Watson coaching the goalies.

No sign of Virgil. Perhaps they don't want to risk him in a practice match yet??

Charlie scores a nice dinky goal at the end.

No sign of Virgil. Perhaps they don't want to risk him in a practice match yet??

I'm normally an optimist, but I can't help feeling his lack of appearances in front of camera so far this week has all the hallmarks of him having had a clear the air meeting with 'the management' first thing on Monday and put in 'solitary confinement' thereafter due to failing to clear said air. Alas, my gut feel now is that he won't be a Saints player come the start of the season :(

I'm normally an optimist, but I can't help feeling his lack of appearances in front of camera so far this week has all the hallmarks of him having had a clear the air meeting with 'the management' first thing on Monday and put in 'solitary confinement' thereafter due to failing to clear said air. Alas, my gut feel now is that he won't be a Saints player come the start of the season :(

I don't think that's the case.

It's a bit like playing "Where's Wally" but if you look closely at yesterday's videos where the players were doing bleep tests he is standing out of focus in the background. He was also in the first day video when thy were having breakfast and seemed to be smiling when he was at the table chatting ti the club photographer and kitman.

Still an optimist....(which being a Saints fan is perhaps a contradiction in terms!)

I don't think that's the case.

It's a bit like playing "Where's Wally" but if you look closely at yesterday's videos where the players were doing bleep tests he is standing out of focus in the background. He was also in the first day video when thy were having breakfast and seemed to be smiling when he was at the table chatting ti the club photographer and kitman.

Still an optimist....(which being a Saints fan is perhaps a contradiction in terms!)

Yep, I know he's had a couple of cameo/background appearances on camera, but surely he would have been the focus of attention if all was tickety-boo? Cripes, I'm starting to sound like Alps and Batman now... ;)

Let's face it, if VvD had declared to Les & Co that he was happy to stay another season, the club's social media department would have been all over him like a rash by now. Shirley?

Don't think they're bothered if he's happy with it, he'll have to get used to it.

Yep, I know he's had a couple of cameo/background appearances on camera, but surely he would have been the focus of attention if all was tickety-boo? Cripes, I'm starting to sound like Alps and Batman now... ;)

I'm probably clutching at straws but I interpret the lack of attention as a good sign. If the official club position is that Virgil never intended to leave, and that the whole thing was cooked up by Liverpool to unsettle him, then the fact the are not 'showcasing' him may be the club trying to create the illusion that it is just business as usual. If they felt they had to make a big deal about him still being here then perhaps it would be a tacit admission that all was not well.

Anyway, I am absolutely not ITK so this is all wishful thinking and Trousers may well be reminding me in a few weeks that I was a t wat for being naive.

I'm probably clutching at straws but I interpret the lack of attention as a good sign. If the official club position is that Virgil never intended to leave, and that the whole thing was cooked up by Liverpool to unsettle him, then the fact the are not 'showcasing' him may be the club trying to create the illusion that it is just business as usual. If they felt they had to make a big deal about him still being here then perhaps it would be a tacit admission that all was not well.

I like that theory. I'm going back to being positive again. Apologies for my momentary lapse of reason :)

At the end there, I thought Long was going to get reflective and admit that he was disappointed with his pathetic goal return last season, but instead he whinged about not playing enough.

Here's a clue, Shane: if you had put a sixth of the chances you buried into the crowd into the net, then you would have played more regularly.

I mean, honestly, what did he expect when he didn't score during the first half of the season? A pay rise?

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

In Austria or at their ground in Switzerland?

"On the 15th of July, we will be playing a test match against Southampton on the Kellen Sportanlage.

On Saturday, July 15, 2017, our team will play a test against Southampton FC. The match against the club from the English Premier League will be played at the Kellen sports facility in Tübach / Goldach. The kick-off is at 4.30 pm, the opening is at 3 pm. For the Giorgio Contini team, this game is also the last test before the start of the 2017/18 season, which takes place one week later.

Against Southampton, our team will play for the first time in their new jersey. This can also be purchased directly on the spot - our fanshop team is represented with a merchandising stand on the sports facility Kellen.

entrance fees

There is no presale for the match FC St.Gallen 1879 - Southampton FC . Tickets will be available on the following day at 15.00 h on the Sportanlage Kellen:

Children under 12 years: free of charge

12 - 15 years: 5.-

From 16 years / adults: 10.-

Use public transport

Since only a limited number of parking spaces are available near the sports facility Kellen, we ask all fans to travel by public transport."

http://www.fcsg.ch/news/news/news/testspiel-gegen-southampton/ca/news/single/

What happened to our annual pre-season game against Eastleigh? We haven't had it for a few years now, used to be quite enjoyable. Did we fall out with them or did they just rise up the non leagues a bit so there could be a rivalry?

What happened to our annual pre-season game against Eastleigh? We haven't had it for a few years now, used to be quite enjoyable. Did we fall out with them or did they just rise up the non leagues a bit so there could be a rivalry?

In reality, probably neither. We tend to go away for the early part of pre-season and play lower level teams abroad rather than at home.

Just been asked who Saints home friendly is on Aug 5th?

Saints SouthWest are offering all their development kids a coach trip to St Marys to see a pre-season friendly against Spanish opposition...

OK, I've been through this list, and these are the teams that it could be...

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/laliga/pretemporada-2017-2018-todos-los-equipos-primera-laliga-6143850

Real Madrid (have a date free between 2nd August in Chicago and 8th August in Macedonia but unlikely, unless it's a reserve team)

Real Sociedad (have nothing after 2nd August)

Athletic Bilbao (play in Dublin on the 8th August, so they could squeeze in a game possibly)

Las Palmas (nothing between 29th July and 11th August)

Málaga (nothing between 23rd July and 11th August)

Betis (nothing after 26th July)

Girona (Playing in England 25th and 27th July, would they stick around for over a week?)

If I was to guess, Real Sociedad seems the most likely.

Edited by Pamplemousse

We've always done that though and still fitted in Eastleigh.

I think the last time we played Eastleigh was when Tommy Forecast inexplicably let in 3 goals in the first 15 minutes. We've only ever really sent reserve players and kids in recent times.

I think the last time we played Eastleigh was when Tommy Forecast inexplicably let in 3 goals in the first 15 minutes. We've only ever really sent reserve players and kids in recent times.

Eastleigh managed to have their game v Wimbledon called off by the visitors yesterday because they weren't happy with the pitch after its replacement. Eastleigh also have a couple of free slots for a friendly as I know for a fact they're not playing Newport on 22nd as claimed on their website (because Newport's website said it was 29th and I tweeted the County to sort it out, which they did by scheduling Northampton instead). :D