Steven Caulker

twopintsnilnil

A sad tale and unfortunately we will see a lot more of in everyday life as people struggle to cope with reality be it footballers or 20yr old secretaries people struggle to deal with their realities.

Read a good general article on blaming in humans, worth a read not that I am saying Caulker did this but it's a relevant article in its own right.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/what-would-aristotle-do/201207/stop-playing-the-blame-game

The blokes a d*ckhead. The reason he never got a chance with us was because he sparked some lad out over town, for practically no reason.

A suspension and a handsome fine to pay the victim off shortly followed.

Mental illness is a horrible thing and one that needs much more attention, however this is not the reason he was sh*te for us.

That explains a lot. It was bewildering how bad he was for us when you think of how good he was for Spurs, Swansea and Cardiff. Literally everyone was wondering WTF happened to him.

I see the scumbag scouse people evidently saw an opportunity in him by attmepting to blackmail him. Is there a more detestable city? Seems like a city full of complete c()nts, with two tosspot football clubs. Horrid.

Except Nigel Adkins of course. And Rickie.

Get well soon Steven.

The blokes a d*ckhead. The reason he never got a chance with us was because he sparked some lad out over town, for practically no reason.

Mental illness is a horrible thing and one that needs much more attention, however this is not the reason he was sh*te for us.

Sorry? What?

You're claiming that the reason he was sh*te for us was that he had a scrap in town?

And you're dismissing the idea that his suicidal thoughts may have impacted his performances?

A sad tale and unfortunately we will see a lot more of in everyday life as people struggle to cope with reality be it footballers or 20yr old secretaries people struggle to deal with their realities.

Read a good general article on blaming in humans, worth a read not that I am saying Caulker did this but it's a relevant article in its own right.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/what-would-aristotle-do/201207/stop-playing-the-blame-game

And there's the two ends of the spectrum right there. Not saying either of you are right or wrong, I don't know, just contrasting attitudes.

Sorry? What?

You're claiming that the reason he was sh*te for us was that he had a scrap in town?

And you're dismissing the idea that his suicidal thoughts may have impacted his performances?

That may have been the case, I can't confirm nor deny that. However, I know the facts and the facts are he was suspended for assaulting someone in town. I suspect that this had a major impact, as well.

And there's the two ends of the spectrum right there. Not saying either of you are right or wrong, I don't know, just contrasting attitudes.

I've had family members who suffer with this exact illness. I have friends who have lost relatives to this exact illness. I know people who know him (Caulker) and trust me, the bloke is a tw*t.

If he is suffering from this illness, which I have no reason to doubt he is, then I hope he beats it. However I'll never have any respect for him as a person.

That may have been the case, I can't confirm nor deny that. However, I know the facts and the facts are he was suspended for assaulting someone in town. I suspect that this had a major impact, as well.

But you did deny that. You clearly stated that although "mental illness is a horrible thing", "it is not the reason he was sh*te for us".

I don't claim to know Stephen Caulker, but he is clearly a very troubled individual. His behaviour, the resulting suspension, his poor form, they are all highly likely to have been attributable to his illness.

I don't think branding those people brave enough to speak out about their mental health issues as "d*ckheads" brings the right sort of attention to the problem.

Some harsh comments from fellow fans. Presumably some mental illnesses are more 'fashionable' than others. I understand why it is difficult to look at the consequences and show sympathy but I guess you have to experience deep depression to understand the torture of the condition.

I know people with mental illness who are not dickheads, and people with mental illness who are dickheads.

I also know people without mental illness who are not dickheads, and people without mental illness who are dickheads.

The two are not mutually exclusive and one condition very rarely begats the other.

Although, obviously, not a trained psychologist, I suspect that if you are already a dickhead, having a mental illness will likely exacerbate your dickheadedness.

I've kind of lost where I was going with this.

But you did deny that. You clearly stated that although "mental illness is a horrible thing", "it is not the reason he was sh*te for us".

I don't claim to know Stephen Caulker, but he is clearly a very troubled individual. His behaviour, the resulting suspension, his poor form, they are all highly likely to have been attributable to his illness.

I don't think branding those people brave enough to speak out about their mental health issues as "d*ckheads" brings the right sort of attention to the problem.

The reason that he never played was due to him receiving a suspension for said incident. That is a fact. If his mental health played a part in this, I guess we will never know, but of course that is a possibility. I suspect, again we will never know, the fact he hadn't played for months, also played a major part in that woeful performance against Liverpool (he generally wasn't that bad up until that point).

I'm branding him a di*khead because from what I've been told (from a number of people), and the fact provided, he is. It has nothing to do with his mental illness, which credit to him for coming out and taking the first steps admitting it, I hope he beats it.

I know people with mental illness who are not dickheads, and people with mental illness who are dickheads.

I also know people without mental illness who are not dickheads, and people without mental illness who are dickheads.

The two are not mutually exclusive and one condition very rarely begats the other.

Although, obviously, not a trained psychologist, I suspect that if you are already a dickhead, having a mental illness will likely exacerbate your dickheadedness.

It's a very fair point mate - and thinking about it, I know a trained psychologist who is a right dickhead

:adore:

Best post on thread.

The reason that he never played was due to him receiving a suspension for said incident. That is a fact. If his mental health played a part in this, I guess we will never know, but of course that is a possibility. I suspect, again we will never know, the fact he hadn't played for months, also played a major part in that woeful performance against Liverpool (he generally wasn't that bad up until that point).

I'm branding him a di*khead because from what I've been told (from a number of people), and the fact provided, he is. It has nothing to do with his mental illness, which credit to him for coming out and taking the first steps admitting it, I hope he beats it.

Yes - but don't you think that the people who labelled him a dickhead probably had no concept that he was suffering from the mental illness which was leading him to that behaviour. And may I say that, as someone who claims to know a lot of people with mental illness, you demonstrate a profound lack of understanding of it. He deserves praise for speaking out about his problems which is the first step to recovery. I wish him well.

I've had family members who suffer with this exact illness. I have friends who have lost relatives to this exact illness. I know people who know him (Caulker) and trust me, the bloke is a tw*t.

If he is suffering from this illness, which I have no reason to doubt he is, then I hope he beats it. However I'll never have any respect for him as a person.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/05/steven-caulker-sierra-leone-charity-trip-qpr?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

You could be doing this sunshine but a lot easier to sit and judge eh

I've done charitable work, not in Sierra Leone, closer to home in the UK. I've also never been arrested for assault, nor knocked someone out in the middle of town for absolutely no reason (honestly, it was for no reason). Oh and FWIW, neither have people that I know are suffering from the illness.

I'm not judging him, honestly.

• 9 months later...