Sam Gallagher signs 4 year deal

Wimborne_saint

Convinced he's going to be really good. Needs games and some patience but there's a good striker in there. Far more exciting and worthwhile IMO giving someone like Gallagher time to develop and prove himself than signing a £10m back up and paying huge wages to Rodriguez etc.

For me he is the Rodriguez replacement, no one else is needed. Gabbiadini, Austin, Gallagher are three good options. If Long stays and gets fit then we're fine for options. Only other useful signing would be a forward who likes to play wide perhaps. Far more important to get Tadic/Boufal/Redmond firing but that doesn't excite fans pre season does it! For many however many seasons they watch they just seem frustrated unless it's 6 or 7 signings every summer. All we need is fine tuning. Not selling VVD would be amazing, not something I expected. Stephens with VVD, Gallagher as striker competition, all positive moves IMO.

Biggest signing for me is a quality partner for Romeu. Get that right and we'll be hard to beat anywhere.

Good post. I'm curious how MP will line us up? We're probably 1 striker heavy if we are going to go with 1 up top & will certainly be another departure if the French lad from Italy turns up.

Certainly agree with the partner for Romeu bit. Will be keeping tabs on if there's anymore rumblings of Clasie going to Italy - If that happens, we will definitely get another one in.

He's earned that with his form on loan.

Be interesting to see if he can carry that through into form for us now.[/QUOT]

Sorry to be ignorant, but did he do well last season? Blackburn were relegated and he didn't score that many. He always looked like he had something about him though when MoPo gave him a run for us though.

Sorry to be ignorant, but did he do well last season? Blackburn were relegated and he didn't score that many. He always looked like he had something about him though when MoPo gave him a run for us though.

He didn't get much good service in a poor Blackburn team, but he scored some absolute corkers and showed that he can strike the ball better than most of the other players in our squad and knows where the net is. I think he can do a good job for us this season.

He didn't get much good service in a poor Blackburn team, but he scored some absolute corkers and showed that he can strike the ball better than most of the other players in our squad and knows where the net is. I think he can do a good job for us this season.

This is good news - Sam even when he was raw first time around had a rare combination of assets - height but athletic with a turn of pace. Losing his father set him back as it would any of us at that age and strikers of that height take longer to mature (Crouch, Niall Quinn). Scored some good goals last season in a struggling side where chances were at a premium and got glowing reviews and quite a few suitors. Good bit of business and hope he's allowed to compete for a first team place next term whereas I think Bednarak has a loan to the Championship written all over him but Saints wanted him off the market.

Some of the goals he scored were really excellent. I know it's only the Championship but looks to have something about him. Would much rather he got game time than a shot JRod and glad the club see it the same way.

Mrs JBS is very happy, said it umpteen times - when it comes to football she knows her onions. She will call it right on a player pretty much every time. Very rarely has to eat her hat.

When she has seen Sam playing, she has come away from the game saying "I hope we don't let him slip through our fingers".

i have Ice cream, custard, and squirty cream on standby, no doubt once again it won't be going anywhere a hat.

My Brum supporting housemate just told me about this and as I said to him, as much as I have nothing against Blues (Always preferred them to Villa) I just can't abide with us helping out that ****. And even though the debacle was a long time ago now it's still somehow fresh in the memory and I dare say the board (even though they took over many years later) will know all about it.

Besides anything else, I was hoping he'd be a bit of a squad player for us this season, taking over J-Rod's role.

Agreed- he needs to stay now- I want to see him as cover for Gabbi and Austin.

Sell Schlong- he's not prolific enough.

Depends how strong he is. He's 6'4", same as Pelle, so if he has the strength to hold off players, then he might be alongside Gabbi/Austin rather than cover for them.

Can you see Harry giving the youngster a fair crack of the whip?

I can't.

But he should get that here. He has been sent out twice now, it's about time he was shown his future is here at Southampton.

A bit of work on his physical side, and a little pace work, and we have the target man we have been seeking since Pelle upped sticks.

Depends how strong he is. He's 6'4", same as Pelle, so if he has the strength to hold off players, then he might be alongside Gabbi/Austin rather than cover for them.

He might even be first choice if Gabbi moves on, as the whispers suggest. Talk is that he can't settle here and having a problem with English. Roma seem keen.

Being considered for a loan move by Birmingham according to Birmingham Mail. Find it hard to believe that he or Saints would consider working with Arry.

I read that too on the bbc sport gossip section. I don't understand why we'd sign him on a long term deal just to loan out again. I'd assumed he was being earmarked to replace JayRod as an impact player off the bench with occasional starts.

He might even be first choice if Gabbi moves on, as the whispers suggest. Talk is that he can't settle here and having a problem with English. Roma seem keen.

"As the whispers suggest" - your post is the first I (and I expect anyone) has heard of it. Are you ITK?

"As the whispers suggest" - your post is the first I (and I expect anyone) has heard of it. Are you ITK?

Me ITK? Not in the slightest. Just passing on comments from two social contacts, both have contacts at the club and have been correct on other Saints gossip. Seems this has been on Twitter, which I don't use. Might be total rubbish.