Jan Bednarek signed from Lech Poznań on 5 Year Deal

Wimborne_saint

Would indicate Gardos is on his way out as he's not even mentioned amongst our defensive options.

I think our 4 centre-backs next year are going to be VVD, Yoshida, Stevens and Bednarek. Presuming VVD stays of course, so looks like they are confident that Stephens/Yoshida can step up to replace Fonte.

Would indicate Gardos is on his way out as he's not even mentioned amongst our defensive options.

Maybe he will get loaned out? Can't see too many buyers for him.

I think our 4 centre-backs next year are going to be VVD, Yoshida, Stevens and Bednarek. Presuming VVD stays of course, so looks like they are confident that Stephens/Yoshida can step up to replace Fonte.

I think you're right. Lets hope VvD stays - I'm sure we shall find out more about this next week when he (in theory) should return to training.

I'm still aware Liverpool aren't being linked with many other centre-back moves - Until they sign another one, I'm going to assume they are still lurking

Good luck to the lad , but what message does this send to Van dyke and our top players ? Another gamble ? Need to start investing in some proven premiership players and show some ambition!

We are unlikely to heavily invest in players without selling 1st.

History shows us that.

makes me a bit more confident VVD will stay. Can't see us signing another cb now with Stephens' new contract. Welcome Jan! Now to shift J Rod and getva striker replacement in

Why do you think Gallagher has signed a new, long contract ?

As long as VVD stays, we might already be done....

Good luck to the lad , but what message does this send to Van dyke and our top players ? Another gamble ? Need to start investing in some proven premiership players and show some ambition!

You're right, we need to sign someone proven in this league, like we did when we signed Van Dijk.

Presumably he's on decent wages so perhaps he'll just run down his contract and take the money.

Doubt he's on a massive contract and it's only got a year left. If I were him I'd take a short term pay cut if there was a decent offer on the table. Another year playing for our kids and he'll be largely forgotten about, even back home.

The website I write for, St Mary's Musings, have done a Q&A with a Polish football expert and it definitely sounds like what we expected; he's one for the future, not to go straight into the team.

https://stmarysmusings.sbnation.com/2017/7/1/15907870/transfer-lowdown-jan-bednarek-southampton-lech-poznan

An improvement on the earlier report on him. He seems to have gone from the 'Polish Aaron Martin' to the 'Polish Jack Stephens' (as JS was in January perhaps).

An improvement on the earlier report on him. He seems to have gone from the 'Polish Aaron Martin' to the 'Polish Jack Stephens' (as JS was in January perhaps).

At least he's not the Polish Alan Bennett

Heard that Bednarek is definitely one for the future but is expected to be the Polish centre back in the not too distant future.

Stylistically he's a bit like Rio Ferdinand or John Stones but at the beginning of their journey.

He currently makes too many mistakes to be considered ahead of Maya or Jack but the potential is there so maybe see him in some of the cups.

For my part I would love to see VVD and Jack as our first choice pairing next season. Thought Jack came on massively last season and overtook Maya. Looks a really exciting prospect and would love to see him alongside Virgil.

I'm surprised he's still at the club to be honest.

Why would he not be ? He has a no doubt well paid contract for another year so unless we can find him another club that he fancies and are willing to subsidise the obvious monetary shortfall he's going nowhere. He's been here 3 years I think and has hardly played, it obviously suits him that way.