Steve McCarthy

Noodles34

Passed away

obviously famous for that boxing match but a young kids in town during the 90's him and his brothers repuatation proceeded them.

anyone know what they were really like, obviously not the Krays but they did have a rep for sure.

Jason is a top bloke. Runs a very successful security company managing 100's of doors from here up to Birmingham and also owns the Stage Door club (used to be the Soul Cellar or the Wagon for you old boys). Think his business partner is his brother Paul (there's a lot of them) and father of our own (ex) CB Jason McCarthy.

I believe a few of the other brothers had some problems which were widely reported in the Echo 10 years ago or so.

Is Southampton the worst city in the whole of the UK for producing good boxers?

Matty Barney still done Tony "cokey" Oakey in his own Pompey back yard a few years back... God they hated that!

Apart from Colin (Jeff's brother and Saints match going regular) Kenna there haven't been too many to get excited about? Obviously there's Tom "Kong" Watson on the MMA front, who may or may not have been involved in Lee Barnard's tear up in Town all those years ago. Southampton ABA clubs have an excellent reputation on the youth circuit but it's hard work going from regionals/ nation championships to fighting for belts.

Passed away

obviously famous for that boxing match but a young kids in town during the 90's him and his brothers repuatation proceeded them.

anyone know what they were really like, obviously not the Krays but they did have a rep for sure.

Until a couple of years ago I knew Mick reasonably well, he lived in Oz for a good few years, the rumour was that he moved away to escape the family reputation, he returned 6-7 years ago, used to run the Kingsland Tavern & The Juniper Berry (it was known as the Bosuns Locker & IIRC he changed the name back to the JB). He's a decent bloke, fairly quite & understated, I never knew he was one of the famous McCarthy tribe until I'd known him for a couple of years, that said I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him, he's a big lad.

My condolences to the family.

Matty Barney still done Tony "cokey" Oakey in his own Pompey back yard a few years back... God they hated that!

Apart from Colin (Jeff's brother and Saints match going regular) Kenna there haven't been too many to get excited about? Obviously there's Tom "Kong" Watson on the MMA front, who may or may not have been involved in Lee Barnard's tear up in Town all those years ago. Southampton ABA clubs have an excellent reputation on the youth circuit but it's hard work going from regionals/ nation championships to fighting for belts.

Joey Pigford looks promising. Will be competing for national belts soon.