Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Saints 'cult' hero

Blog Entries

Default Your Saints 'cult' hero

There are a few obvious options for a Saints cult hero. Franny, Claus, a certain hero-esque Guernsey-man...

But who else stands out for you? A particular player who may not have been the most talented but always stuck in your mind due to commitment to the cause, a few specific moments or just something that you couldn't specifically pinpoint, you just always liked the guy!

I'll get the ball rolling with Richard Chaplow.

They called him 'The Crab' at Preston North-End. He would only move and pass sideways, yet when he came back to St Mary's in 2010 I was really quite pleased.

His appearance, as a sufferer of alopecia was striking, but it was memories of his first loan spell with us in 2005 which came back, thinking of the composed and promising midfielder who came to us briefly to keep us in the championship after 'he who must not be named's' reign.

With Morgan and Hammond as his competition for a place he quickly made himself at home. Playing a strong role in our promotion and scoring a wonderful goal against Peterborough (where he ended up in the back of the net after a surging run through the middle to volley in a cross) and his thunderous strike against Manchester United in the FA Cup.

He revealed himself to be hot-headed too, and deserved his red card at Barnsley in the Championship for catching an opposing player in the groin with a high foot (his; ‘What did I do?’ expression afterwards was rather priceless.)

As we rose up the leagues, Chaplow, like Hammond, Seaborne, Martin, Sharp, Dickson, Harding, Butterfield, Fox and a few more, found himself now out of his depth. A couple of Sub appearances in our first season back in the top flight were his last for us, and he moved onto pastures new. But I always enjoyed watching Chaplow play for us. A bit unconventional, now a little bit forgotten, but very important player for us during one of our best times.

Still only 32, and now playing in the American second tier.

I look forward to other people’s suggestions.
    Last edited by Colinjb; 05-07-2017 at 09:11 AM.

I think my username best identifies my choice...

During the time we rose up the leagues it was Guly for me. Think he made his debut against Tranmere and we won 2-0. It was quite exotic having a Brazilian playing for us in League 1 who contributed with goals in both that league and the Championship. From earlier times I´d go Michael Svensson. Great shift in the Prem and I was gutted when he had his injury. He made a brief and welcomed return for a few matches in the Championship which only confirmed the love we had for him.

4. Default

Heisenburg.

EDIT: sorry, misread, I see it says "cult"
    Last edited by OttawaSaint; 04-07-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: misread

Pahars all day long.

Soft spot for Dan Harding too after he told Portsmouth to **** off

Blog Entries

Ivan Golac.

Ronnie Ekelund.

Mark Dennis

9. Default

Apart from the obvious Le God it has to be Ron Davies, Mr reliability in front of goal.

It must be Bobby Stokes for THAT goal but Terry Paine played 800 times and got us from Div 3 to the top, yep I want two heroes

Hero - Golac, Bowyer & MLT.

Cult hero - Dennis.

Anders, Killer, Niemi, Jesus, Pahars, Papa Waigo. I loved them all at various times for different reasons.

Already, I think, people are missing the point of "cult hero". A cult hero is an individual within a field of endeavour who is not immediately recognisable as a prominent figure. He, or she, is known and celebrated by a minority of "informed" aficianados.

For example, in popular music The Rolling Stones are not cult heroes; Kevin Ayers is. In literature, James Joyce is not a cult hero, but Knut Hamsun is. Cult heroes would be considered secondary or tertiary figures to mainstream taste. So, in the realm of SFC Le God is NOT a cult hero. Pahars is not a cult hero.

Hope that clarifies the concept.

Mark Dennis

Always liked Vignal and Ostlund when we were in the Championship. Found it very irritating when Wright and Skacel played ahead of them.

TBH I found 90% of Burley's team selections infuriating in his final season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Saint View Post
    Already, I think, people are missing the point of "cult hero". A cult hero is an individual within a field of endeavour who is not immediately recognisable as a prominent figure. He, or she, is known and celebrated by a minority of "informed" aficianados.

For example, in popular music The Rolling Stones are not cult heroes; Kevin Ayers is. In literature, James Joyce is not a cult hero, but Knut Hamsun is. Cult heroes would be considered secondary or tertiary figures to mainstream taste. So, in the realm of SFC Le God is NOT a cult hero. Pahars is not a cult hero.

Do you have anyone in mind Hamilton?

Obvious from my username too.

Bally gave his whole heart and whole soul to any club he played for. And to his country. Certainly the greatest captain we ever had in my humble opinion.

There have been many greats in my 50 years of supporting. Players with huge skill and others who were great club players but Bally edges it for me.

Just love the guy.

A few cult heroes including; Terry Hurlock, Alexander Ostlund, Wayne Thomas.

David Armstrong and Mark Dennis from my younger days were cult players for me for very different reason, one a no nonsense midfielder with an impressive eye for goal (my god how we could do with a midfielder like him today)

And the other who always made me wince every time he went in for a tackle with his no holds barred attitude.....my god some of his tackles were later than British rail trains but often left the opposition feeling like they had been hit by a train!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    A few cult heroes including; Terry Hurlock, Alexander Ostlund, Wayne Thomas.
    Ken monkou, Jason Dodd and of course budgie were big ones for me.

But the biggest cult hero that doesn't get mentioned enough is david Armstrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Williams, Moran, Dennis

I'm a bit older than you lot, so my first cult hero was Eric Day, a centre forward (striker to you) who came to the Saints after the war from the Commandoes. He was hard as nails, and when kicked, which was often, just got up and got on with it.
    Another useless player that had a cult status and I remember fondly was called Fred Kemp. Would run all day for the team, and achieve virtually nothing. A bit similar to Tony Byrne.

Mark Dennis

Nick Holmes must be worth a shout.

Consistent, brave , scored some crackers and was very good at going in for 50-50's and leaving his oppo on the ground, although he did have a strange habit of catching the ball before the ref had chance to blow his whistle Aresenal away and Forest away I think.

Also, he bought my mates dayughter an Appletise the other week. Nice bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Ken monkou, Jason Dodd and of course budgie were big ones for me.

But the biggest cult hero that doesn't get mentioned enough is david Armstrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was going to put Monkou ... but actually he was pretty useful, unless I have tainted memories

Surprised Franny hasn't had a mention yet, actually. That tackle on Fashanu is worthy of cult status alone!

For people of my age group there can only be one John McGrath (RIP).

Blog Entries

Jhon Viafara was always good entertainment value - I remember him doing a simple 10 yard passing drill with George Burley before an away game and really struggling. But I loved how he drove us on in matches and his goals against Derby were certainly unexpectedly well executed. in hindsight probably should have cashed in on him after the play off semi - Derby were linked with a £5 or £6m move for him IIRC, must not have come forward with a proper bid as surely we would have taken that if offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Saint View Post

This is dead right and why most people's suggestions don't qualify. However, as farawaysaint suggests Papa Waigo comes close, although surely his full name was Papa Waigo - Offside.

I was there when Pancake went mad. 15/04/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
    There are a few obvious options for a Saints cult hero. Fanny, Claus, a certain hero-esque Guernsey-man...

But who else stands out for you? A particular player who may not have been the most talented but always stuck in your mind due to commitment to the cause, a few specific moments or just something that you couldn't specifically pinpoint, you just always liked the guy!

I'll get the ball rolling with Richard Chaplow.

They called him 'The Crab' at Preston North-End. He would only move and pass sideways, yet when he came back to St Mary's in 2010 I was really quite pleased.

His appearance, as a sufferer of alopecia was striking, but it was memories of his first loan spell with us in 2005 which came back, thinking of the composed and promising midfielder who came to us briefly to keep us in the championship after 'he who must not be named's' reign.

With Morgan and Hammond as his competition for a place he quickly made himself at home. Playing a strong role in our promotion and scoring a wonderful goal against Peterborough (where he ended up in the back of the net after a surging run through the middle to volley in a cross) and his thunderous strike against Manchester United in the FA Cup.

He revealed himself to be hot-headed too, and deserved his red card at Barnsley in the Championship for catching an opposing player in the groin with a high foot (his; ‘What did I do?’ expression afterwards was rather priceless.)

As we rose up the leagues, Chaplow, like Hammond, Seaborne, Martin, Sharp, Dickson, Harding, Butterfield, Fox and a few more, found himself now out of his depth. A couple of Sub appearances in our first season back in the top flight were his last for us, and he moved onto pastures new. But I always enjoyed watching Chaplow play for us. A bit unconventional, now a little bit forgotten, but very important player for us during one of our best times.

Still only 32, and now playing in the American second tier.

I look forward to other people’s suggestions.
    You consider Fanny a potential cult hero?

George Kirby - we hated him when he was with Plymouth but loved him when he joined us. Always up to no good!

David Armstrong, Ivan Golac and Steve Williams are 3 who come to the fore as I think this through.

Ostenstad

34. Default

We've got Brett Ormerod, we've got Brett Ormerod, we've got Brett Ormerod, we've got Brett Ormerod!

Chris Marsden....end of discussion

36. Default

Eklund and Pahars for me

Phil Boyer

Quote Originally Posted by saints1988 View Post
    Chris Marsden....end of discussion

Indeed

Ostlund... Jesus, jesus, jesus, jesus!!!

Jimmy Case and stomper Ruddock

My all time hero is Mick Channon but for some reason my cult heros come from when we were pretty sh!t. the likes of Neil Heaney. Neil Shipperley and Terry Hurlock.

Has to be Mick Channon, although I thought his replacement Phil Boyer was a great little player.

Frank Worthington

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Frank Worthington
    Good one

For me :

1960's - John McGrath
    1970's - Brian O'Neill, Jim Steele,
    1978-81 - Ivan Golac
    1980's - Mark Dennis

Danny Wallace! Also enjoyed Moran Steve Williams and even though he seems mocked a bit these days fabrice Fernandes was great to watch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toomer View Post
    For people of my age group there can only be one John McGrath (RIP).
    From the same era for me would have to be Eric Martin.

Big Crazy Hair, which gave he his Nickname of Harpo from The Marx Brothers and as becomes goal keepers quite eccentric.

His ritual of throwing the pre match kick about balls into the groundsman sack on the touch line and swapping positions with Channon and taking penalties whilst Mickey took up the keepers position,
    was often more entertaining than some of the matches that followed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman View Post
    Ostlund... Jesus, jesus, jesus, jesus!!!
    I think in that team we had Pele, Best and Jesus

Tim Flowers. That sprint down the line having beaten Man Utd at Old Trafford on pens.......

50. Default

Tommy Tommy Tommy Jenkins.
    On the wing. On the wing.