Your Saints 'cult' hero

Colinjb

There are a few obvious options for a Saints cult hero. Franny, Claus, a certain hero-esque Guernsey-man...

But who else stands out for you? A particular player who may not have been the most talented but always stuck in your mind due to commitment to the cause, a few specific moments or just something that you couldn't specifically pinpoint, you just always liked the guy!

I'll get the ball rolling with Richard Chaplow.

They called him 'The Crab' at Preston North-End. He would only move and pass sideways, yet when he came back to St Mary's in 2010 I was really quite pleased.

His appearance, as a sufferer of alopecia was striking, but it was memories of his first loan spell with us in 2005 which came back, thinking of the composed and promising midfielder who came to us briefly to keep us in the championship after 'he who must not be named's' reign.

With Morgan and Hammond as his competition for a place he quickly made himself at home. Playing a strong role in our promotion and scoring a wonderful goal against Peterborough (where he ended up in the back of the net after a surging run through the middle to volley in a cross) and his thunderous strike against Manchester United in the FA Cup.

He revealed himself to be hot-headed too, and deserved his red card at Barnsley in the Championship for catching an opposing player in the groin with a high foot (his; ‘What did I do?’ expression afterwards was rather priceless.)

As we rose up the leagues, Chaplow, like Hammond, Seaborne, Martin, Sharp, Dickson, Harding, Butterfield, Fox and a few more, found himself now out of his depth. A couple of Sub appearances in our first season back in the top flight were his last for us, and he moved onto pastures new. But I always enjoyed watching Chaplow play for us. A bit unconventional, now a little bit forgotten, but very important player for us during one of our best times.

Still only 32, and now playing in the American second tier.

I look forward to other people’s suggestions.

Edited by Colinjb

There are a few obvious options for a Saints cult hero. Franny, Claus, a certain hero-esque Guernsey-man...

But who else stands out for you? A particular player who may not have been the most talented but always stuck in your mind due to commitment to the cause, a few specific moments or just something that you couldn't specifically pinpoint, you just always liked the guy!

I'll get the ball rolling with Richard Chaplow.

They called him 'The Crab' at Preston North-End. He would only move and pass sideways, yet when he came back to St Mary's in 2010 I was really quite pleased.

His appearance, as a sufferer of alopecia was striking, but it was memories of his first loan spell with us in 2005 which came back, thinking of the composed and promising midfielder who came to us briefly to keep us in the championship after 'he who must not be named's' reign.

With Morgan and Hammond as his competition for a place he quickly made himself at home. Playing a strong role in our promotion and scoring a wonderful goal against Peterborough (where he ended up in the back of the net after a surging run through the middle to volley in a cross) and his thunderous strike against Manchester United in the FA Cup.

He revealed himself to be hot-headed too, and deserved his red card at Barnsley in the Championship for catching an opposing player in the groin with a high foot (his; ‘What did I do?’ expression afterwards was rather priceless.)

As we rose up the leagues, Chaplow, like Hammond, Seaborne, Martin, Sharp, Dickson, Harding, Butterfield, Fox and a few more, found himself now out of his depth. A couple of Sub appearances in our first season back in the top flight were his last for us, and he moved onto pastures new. But I always enjoyed watching Chaplow play for us. A bit unconventional, now a little bit forgotten, but very important player for us during one of our best times.

Still only 32, and now playing in the American second tier.

I look forward to other people’s suggestions.

Edited by Colinjb

During the time we rose up the leagues it was Guly for me. Think he made his debut against Tranmere and we won 2-0. It was quite exotic having a Brazilian playing for us in League 1 who contributed with goals in both that league and the Championship. From earlier times I´d go Michael Svensson. Great shift in the Prem and I was gutted when he had his injury. He made a brief and welcomed return for a few matches in the Championship which only confirmed the love we had for him.

During the time we rose up the leagues it was Guly for me. Think he made his debut against Tranmere and we won 2-0. It was quite exotic having a Brazilian playing for us in League 1 who contributed with goals in both that league and the Championship. From earlier times I´d go Michael Svensson. Great shift in the Prem and I was gutted when he had his injury. He made a brief and welcomed return for a few matches in the Championship which only confirmed the love we had for him.

Already, I think, people are missing the point of "cult hero". A cult hero is an individual within a field of endeavour who is not immediately recognisable as a prominent figure. He, or she, is known and celebrated by a minority of "informed" aficianados.

For example, in popular music The Rolling Stones are not cult heroes; Kevin Ayers is. In literature, James Joyce is not a cult hero, but Knut Hamsun is. Cult heroes would be considered secondary or tertiary figures to mainstream taste. So, in the realm of SFC Le God is NOT a cult hero. Pahars is not a cult hero.

Hope that clarifies the concept.

Already, I think, people are missing the point of "cult hero". A cult hero is an individual within a field of endeavour who is not immediately recognisable as a prominent figure. He, or she, is known and celebrated by a minority of "informed" aficianados.

For example, in popular music The Rolling Stones are not cult heroes; Kevin Ayers is. In literature, James Joyce is not a cult hero, but Knut Hamsun is. Cult heroes would be considered secondary or tertiary figures to mainstream taste. So, in the realm of SFC Le God is NOT a cult hero. Pahars is not a cult hero.

Do you have anyone in mind Hamilton?

Do you have anyone in mind Hamilton?

Obvious from my username too.

Bally gave his whole heart and whole soul to any club he played for. And to his country. Certainly the greatest captain we ever had in my humble opinion.

There have been many greats in my 50 years of supporting. Players with huge skill and others who were great club players but Bally edges it for me.

Just love the guy.

Obvious from my username too.

Bally gave his whole heart and whole soul to any club he played for. And to his country. Certainly the greatest captain we ever had in my humble opinion.

There have been many greats in my 50 years of supporting. Players with huge skill and others who were great club players but Bally edges it for me.

Just love the guy.

David Armstrong and Mark Dennis from my younger days were cult players for me for very different reason, one a no nonsense midfielder with an impressive eye for goal (my god how we could do with a midfielder like him today)

And the other who always made me wince every time he went in for a tackle with his no holds barred attitude.....my god some of his tackles were later than British rail trains but often left the opposition feeling like they had been hit by a train!

David Armstrong and Mark Dennis from my younger days were cult players for me for very different reason, one a no nonsense midfielder with an impressive eye for goal (my god how we could do with a midfielder like him today)

And the other who always made me wince every time he went in for a tackle with his no holds barred attitude.....my god some of his tackles were later than British rail trains but often left the opposition feeling like they had been hit by a train!

A few cult heroes including; Terry Hurlock, Alexander Ostlund, Wayne Thomas.

Ken monkou, Jason Dodd and of course budgie were big ones for me.

But the biggest cult hero that doesn't get mentioned enough is david Armstrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few cult heroes including; Terry Hurlock, Alexander Ostlund, Wayne Thomas.

I'm a bit older than you lot, so my first cult hero was Eric Day, a centre forward (striker to you) who came to the Saints after the war from the Commandoes. He was hard as nails, and when kicked, which was often, just got up and got on with it.

Another useless player that had a cult status and I remember fondly was called Fred Kemp. Would run all day for the team, and achieve virtually nothing. A bit similar to Tony Byrne.

I'm a bit older than you lot, so my first cult hero was Eric Day, a centre forward (striker to you) who came to the Saints after the war from the Commandoes. He was hard as nails, and when kicked, which was often, just got up and got on with it.

Another useless player that had a cult status and I remember fondly was called Fred Kemp. Would run all day for the team, and achieve virtually nothing. A bit similar to Tony Byrne.

Nick Holmes must be worth a shout.

Consistent, brave , scored some crackers and was very good at going in for 50-50's and leaving his oppo on the ground, although he did have a strange habit of catching the ball before the ref had chance to blow his whistle Aresenal away and Forest away I think.

Also, he bought my mates dayughter an Appletise the other week. Nice bloke.

Nick Holmes must be worth a shout.

Consistent, brave , scored some crackers and was very good at going in for 50-50's and leaving his oppo on the ground, although he did have a strange habit of catching the ball before the ref had chance to blow his whistle Aresenal away and Forest away I think.

Also, he bought my mates dayughter an Appletise the other week. Nice bloke.

I was going to put Monkou ... but actually he was pretty useful, unless I have tainted memories :)

I was going to put Monkou ... but actually he was pretty useful, unless I have tainted memories :)