Yann Karamoh

I know he's already been mentioned on the main transfers thread but, if media and Twitter rumours are correct, he could be winging his way to SMS pretty soon and I thought he deserves his own thread. Here's what the Metro thinks, for starters:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/04/southampton-target-8-75million-transfer-for-arsenal-target-and-rising-french-star-yann-karamoh-6753398/

The next Mbappe? Let's hope so...

I saw some references to an article in the printed version of Le Parisien earlier (apparently stating we were frontrunners for his signature) but unclear if that article itself is a re-hash of the Sun article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know he's already been mentioned on the main transfers thread but, if media and Twitter rumours are correct, he could be winging his way to SMS pretty soon and I thought he deserves his own thread. Here's what the Metro thinks, for starters:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/04/southampton-target-8-75million-transfer-for-arsenal-target-and-rising-french-star-yann-karamoh-6753398/

The next Mbappe? Let's hope so...

He's older than Mbappe.

Another read about him.

http://saintsmarching.com/2017/07/04/caens-yann-karamoh-good-fit-southampton/

Contains this:

His position and style is somewhat similar to that of Nathan Redmond, who has now established his place in the first XI. Like the England under-21 international, Karamoh is known for his dribbling and for cutting inside from the wing.

He has ample pace and the ability to use both feet, having occasionally been moved across to the left flank. His biggest weakness is his composure in front of goal, a failing that Redmond has also worked hard to shrug off.

Another read about him.

http://saintsmarching.com/2017/07/04/caens-yann-karamoh-good-fit-southampton/

Contains this:

His position and style is somewhat similar to that of Nathan Redmond, who has now established his place in the first XI. Like the England under-21 international, Karamoh is known for his dribbling and for cutting inside from the wing.

He has ample pace and the ability to use both feet, having occasionally been moved across to the left flank. His biggest weakness is his composure in front of goal, a failing that Redmond has also worked hard to shrug off.

So he's the French version of the English version of Thierry Henry.

He actually reminds me of Antonio tbh. Pace and power, looks to get forward and runs into the box. Not much to write home about technically. But then we have a squad of technical players and not much power and pace. I like him.

Looking at Squawka, I would question this description of him: "Karamoh is a genuine winger who loves to dribble past his opponents with great ease."

(He only successfully completed 50 of the 123 take-ons he attempted in Ligue 1 last season).

Edited by beavis17

Looking at Squawka, I would question this description of him: "Karamoh is a genuine winger who loves to dribble past his opponents with great ease."

(He only successfully completed 50 of the 123 take-ons he attempted in Ligue 1 last season).

Thats not actually bad for a winger. The entire saints team combined probably amounted to 123 take ons last season!

Redmond 72 - 14th highest in the Premier League

Boufal 76 - 10th highest in the Premier League

Redmond 72 - 14th highest in the Premier League

Boufal 76 - 10th highest in the Premier League

Ah, but those stats don't tell you that Redmond failed to come inside on all but five of those take ons & Boufals were against three different defenders whom he decided to try and beat repeatedly before he then lost the ball to them. So can Karamoh beat players on the inside and then cut in directly after beating his man?

Thats not actually bad for a winger. The entire saints team combined probably amounted to 123 take ons last season!

Agreed. I wouldn't say that only completing 50/123 attempted take-ons shows that he "dribbles past his opponents with great ease" though.

another wide player?

Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, Sims.

unless we are intending to play some weird setup.....

Who do we get rid of ???

All those options and yet it was Ward-Prowse that played out wide in the second-half of the season.

At the moment the weirdness of Puels system and rotations have to be eradicated such that the likes of Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, JWP, Sims and even Davis know exactly what job they're supposed to do and how to it with best effect. Often last season we played so deep and wide that the central midfield was a ghost town waiting to be overrun. To be honest it's difficult to know under these circumstances exactly what other players we need, other than ones who are not scared to take a shot from further out than 6 yards.

Why do we need him?

another wide player?

Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, Sims.

unless we are intending to play some weird setup.....

Who do we get rid of ???

You guys don't think that if we find a really young, talented winger that we shouldn't go for him?