Rome

mightysaints

Thinking of taking the other half to Rome for a 4 night break in Sept, can anyone recommend a hotel not to far away from the main attractions. BA doing good deals but all the hotels seem a long way out of the city.

Any advice on Rome would be handy

Thinking of taking the other half to Rome for a 4 night break in Sept, can anyone recommend a hotel not to far away from the main attractions. BA doing good deals but all the hotels seem a long way out of the city.

Any advice on Rome would be handy

I have exactly your idea, so might bump into you if we both take the advice given ;)

Last time I went with the family we stayed at the Crowne Plaza - St Peter's, near the Vatican. It's a couple of miles out of city centre but only a €10 taxi ride in, and much much better value than most hotels in the heart of the city.

We're staying again in August and paid about €130 a night. https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/gb/en/rome/romsp/hoteldetail

A friend of mine is staying at this place later tin the summer. Price seems good and couldn't get any more central. Can't comment on what it's like but tripadvisor reviews seem OK. http://www.boutiquehoteltrevi.it/en/

The bus routes in Rome are good. On some roads they have dedicated carriageways in the middle so always run promptly. There is also a decent metro.

I wouldn't fret too much about location if you're on decent transport links.

Main tips:

- if you're doing a guided tour of the Vatican (which you should do), and you have time, visit the area the day before and try to find a good English speaking guide and book with them for the following day. Seriously, a good guide will make a hell of a difference and someone with native language skills and a sense of humour will make it even better.

- same applies to the Coliseum etc. although I appreciate you won't have time to scope everything in advance. Just try to find a decent guide.

- If you plan on going out for nice meals, do plan in advance on Tripadvisor. Italy has some of the best restaurants in the world and, pound for pound, some of the worst!

- Go here: http://www.ristoranteadhoc.com/en/menu.html Have one of the tasting menus. One of the best restaurants I've been to.

- If you want to cross a road at a zebra crossing, you just have to step out in front of traffic. They won't stop otherwise.

- Try not to get run over.

I have been twice - love it and going again in January (2 nights) on route to Tokyo.

Stayed at Hotel Artemide last time I went and found the location very good.

Loads to do and food is great as you'd expect - book restaurants in advance.

I'm taking my 12yo & 10yo whilst me wife is in NYC with the 15yo.

We will AirBnB it.

Every time I've been I've found the buses and metro excellent but the Mrs just likes to do it all on foot. It'll be a bit **** not being able to take in a game this time though as I've previously been able to match a break in Rome with the Rome derby.

A day ticket on the metro will take you quite a long way for very little money - for example the seaside resort of Ostia. a bit further inland Ostia Antica - is the metro stop for the excavated old roman port of Ostia, which is great if you like roman ruins. The city centre sights are walkable, but bear in mind it can get very hot in Rome if you are going in early September. I never had a problem, but Rome does have a bad reputation (especially the buses between the main station and the Vatican) for pick pocketing gangs, so be vigilant.

A day ticket on the metro will take you quite a long way for very little money - for example the seaside resort of Ostia. a bit further inland Ostia Antica - is the metro stop for the excavated old roman port of Ostia, which is great if you like roman ruins. The city centre sights are walkable, but bear in mind it can get very hot in Rome if you are going in early September. I never had a problem, but Rome does have a bad reputation (especially the buses between the main station and the Vatican) for pick pocketing gangs, so be vigilant.

We were there several years ago on a cruise and visited from Civitavecchia. A Lazio day pass cost around €9 and included all trains (not expresses 'Freccie'), buses and metro. You can buy in tourist offices and outlets but you must remember to validate them on the little yellow wall-mounted printers.

I lived in the Rome area for the last 2 years and can reinforce everything Benji said (post #4). Other things I can think of:

Getting from the airport - the best way is the direct Fiumicino Express train but for half the price you can buy a standard train ticket which stops on the way. Depends if you want speed or money saving. If you go by taxi it's a fixed rate and still expensive in my view and (of course) vulnerable to traffic hold-ups. There are coaches which take you to the main station in Rome - cheap but can be crowded and again vulnerable to traffic.

Agree completely on the need to find a "skip the line" operator with English speaking guide for Vatican and possibly Colosseum too. Worth paying the extra as the queue can easily by 2 hrs. Big time.

I don;'t think it really matters where you stay in the city because transport really is easy (Metro and buses are good but metro only has two lines, A & B). Public transport is generally busy before 0930 and again after 4pm with commuters.

. Just use Google Maps to plan your travel by either/both. Either buy a "number of days unlimited" pass or buy single tickets for only 1.50 Euros (buy in tabacchi shops). At your start of journey point the ticket needs to be stamped (or passed through the gate machine of the metro) and then you have 100 minutes on bus/train withn the ticket price. Note that the train to Ostia/Ostia Antica IS included and Ostia Antica is a good day out. Ostia itself is lovely place (beach) to go in the evening and also to eat out - prices much better than Rome. However from 4pm trains will be packed with commuters going home from Rome. Trains to Osia depart from Piramid/Porta San Paulo station - get off Metro at Piramid, cross to PSP by foot. Get on any train at PSP as they all go to Ostia and only Ostia.

Take an umbrella with you and expect to use as a parasol but will be useful if heavens open too!

We went on November for the weekend. It's a brilliant city, loads to see and do

We stayed at the hotel romantica which despite its two stars was really nice, although we did upgrade to a suite which was a cracking room with a jacuzzi. Think it was about £700 for the weekend including flights and transfers. it was about 10 minutes from the Spanish steps which are a bit of a disappointment but the only one.

The metro is good and cheap, worth taking to see Vatican City but we walked most places

Had a bit of weird experience when we were walking to the coliseum a guy in a car pulled up asking for directions to the coliseum, which was right In front. He claimed to be visiting for a fashion show and was a big name in the industry, he then tried giving me the most hideous leather jacket you've ever seen to thank me for my help, naturally I declined and he drove off in a huff.

All in all though a great city, food and wine as you'd expect it top notch, loads to see and do.