Bradley Lowery

Micky

Lost his battle today after a brave, brave fight. His story is one of uniting fans and clubs through his love of football.

When you think that things aren't going so well at the club, think of Bradley, get some perspective - it's a game.

RIP Bradley Lowery - inspiration to all fans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39883344

Really hate when people say that. The two are completely exclusive, nobody has ever compared a dying child to the problems of a football club.

RIP Bradley and all the others lost too soon.

Really hate when people say that. The two are completely exclusive, nobody has ever compared a dying child to the problems of a football club.

RIP Bradley and all the others lost too soon.

Apologies for any insensitivity - none was meant - you're probably right - when I heard the news I struggled for words.

How as a parent do you ever come to terms with that?

I've got a son a year younger than Bradley and even just reading some of the Facebook messages had me welling up.

I supppse at least they have lots of pictures and memories of his brave, smiling face and the knowledge that whilst what he went through was horrific at least the short life he had was as good as it could have been.

Let's just hope the family are not forgetten and they get the support they need.

Rip , I couldn't comprehend losing one of mine. I don't know how people cope. My mums best friend lost her daughter at 15, the lady in question is 78 now . She told mum that not a day has gone by the past 40 years where she hasn't thought of her & shed a tear. It's just heartbreaking .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been so sad to follow over the last year, but he has had one hell of a ride in a positive sense - getting close with his Sunderland players, leading England out - so many amazing lifelong memories for his family to carry away from something very tragic, no one should ever have to deal with what he went through - especially not someone that young.

RIP little dude.

What sad news, his smile whenever you saw him was a ray of sunshine despite the discomfort he must have been in.

That "penalty" he scored against Chelsea, when you see someone like Diego Costa (who many would consider a nasty whatsit) encouraging young Bradley to take it was a nice moment.

Even as a parent you cannot begin to think what his parents have been through, aside from there but for the grace of God I have not had to experience what they have.

and in these cynical times where footballers seem out of touch with reality, hats off to Jermaine Dafoe who was not only Bradley's hero but became his best mate, that photo of him asleep on Jermaine in hospital must have touched even the hardest of souls.

RIP Bradley

Defoe is my favourite Skate. The bloke deserves a Knighthood and SPOTY. He's gone above and beyond. His friendship with Bradley reminds me of Daniel Bryan from WWE's with Connor "The Crusher" a feyRw years ago. Goes to show not all famous people are arrogant tossers.

True inspiration.

Edited by Instant Classic

Defoe is my favourite Skate. The bloke deserves a Knighthood and SPOTY. He's gone above and beyond. His friendship with Bradley reminds me of Daniel Bryan from WWE's with Connor "The Crusher" a feyRw years ago. Goes to show not all famous people are arrogant tossers.

True inspiration.

Defoe does seem like a good chap and what he's done seems nice, in what is a very sad situation. But knighthood? Really? There are thousands, if not millions of people in the country more deserving than him. This to me seems like the bare minimum people like footballers should be doing for fans who see them as their idols.

RIP Bradley , find some rest now little fella you played a full 90 minutes and extra time

Lost my brother 31 years ago today in an RTA so it was unexpected, my parents have never recovered truly, I think of him everyday

Defoe has proven he's a real gent , he wont need a gong or a medal to show hes a good guy, Bradleys parents will know the joy he brought Bradley and thats all that will ever mean anything

Defoe does seem like a good chap and what he's done seems nice, in what is a very sad situation. But knighthood? Really? There are thousands, if not millions of people in the country more deserving than him. This to me seems like the bare minimum people like footballers should be doing for fans who see them as their idols.

I understand your point but is Fergie really more deserving of one?

Sad news indeed, but this isn't Saints-related is it?

It's odd to me how some tragic cases like this capture the public imagination, there are many such cases but only a few seem to grip us.

That said, maybe it's a way for us to think about sadness and mortality overall, through the example of one magnetic and engaging boy.

Of course it is all very sad

But as with all deaths these days, the desire to be more upset on social media than the next man leaves me feeling a bit uneasy.

Surely grief is a personal thing , not judged by who says it the most and loudest .

Yes, far more. Are you familiar with the concept of what knighthoods are supposed to be for/represent?

Alex Ferguson does not deserve his knighthood. Nor does Defoe deserve to get one. In fact, the majority of knighthoods given out these days are completely undeserved. It's just a thing you get for being a big celebrity for a few years...

True inspiration.

Yes, indeed! The gift he gave to Bradley at the end of his tragic young life is inestimable.

But as with all deaths these days, the desire to be more upset on social media than the next man leaves me feeling a bit uneasy.

Surely grief is a personal thing , not judged by who says it the most and loudest .

Sums up how I feel about it. It's terrible and tragic, but I can't help thinking that were it my daughter I wouldn't want the whole saga played out in the public eye. Let's face it, kids/families all over the country/world are in the same predicament. I just hope the family get some privacy - if that's what they want.

Alex Ferguson does not deserve his knighthood. Nor does Defoe deserve to get one. In fact, the majority of knighthoods given out these days are completely undeserved. It's just a thing you get for being a big celebrity for a few years...

If you're not going to give SAF a knighthood, then nobody in sport would get one. In fact nobody in entertainment, music or the arts would get one . You may not like the bloke but if his achievements don't merit one, what does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with this. It's tragic but I hate how it's become almost a soap opera in the media. The number of people on social media talking about how devastated they are and in tears all night, over a boy they've never met, is getting a bit silly.

Agree with this. It's tragic but I hate how it's become almost a soap opera in the media. The number of people on social media talking about how devastated they are and in tears all night, over a boy they've never met, is getting a bit silly.

It's a common modern day phenomena and is why I tend to avoid threads like this in general. I totally understand if this sort of story affects people but personally I only really get affected if it's someone I know and even then I tend to discuss it with people privately rather than plaster it all over social media. Anyway, as someone else said if this is the sort of thing people want to do and his family is happy with it and it brings them some comfort then I don't suppose it's necessarily doing any harm.

If you're not going to give SAF a knighthood, then nobody in sport would get one. In fact nobody in entertainment, music or the arts would get one . You may not like the bloke but if his achievements don't merit one, what does?

Yes, I'm suggesting people shouldn't get a knighthood for simply working in the entertainment industry. For the record, I actually quite like Ferguson but I can't see that he's done anything exceptional for this country in any meaningful way.

Yes, I'm suggesting people shouldn't get a knighthood for simply working in the entertainment industry. For the record, I actually quite like Ferguson but I can't see that he's done anything exceptional for this country in any meaningful way.

Slightly bizarre thing to say in my opinion. English football as an export has had an amazing influence all over the world and SAF is the most successful manager ever. Of course he has had an exceptional impact whatever you think of Manchester United. It's the same with famous entertainers who can have enormous impacts and are just as deserving of knighthoods as others who have had notable impacts in other professions.

Can you imagine if social media had been around when Diana died? We'd have crashed every computer system in the galaxy.

Honours don't have to be about service to the country, they're also given for achievements in public life. But when it comes to benefitting the country we should look at the Premier League's global influence and what that means for British soft power and the economy.

Thoughts go to Bradley's family. Glad I sent a christmas card to the little fella even though he never replied.

Personally don't believe there should be honours list anyway - far too subjective and open to abuse (I'm talking to you, Lloyd George!). Besides which the acts for which people are being "rewarded for" should be enough in themselves. Neither do I like the deference that goes with a title - I'm quite capable of choosing who I give respect to without being told.

Anyway, Bradley seemed to be a smashing kid and glad he had the joy being mascot and making friends with his heroes.