Olomola loaned to Yeovil (6 months)

SuperSAINT

Good opportunity for him. Also a bit of a reality check for some fans. He is the main striker from the U23s last season and has been sent to League Two.

Shows how good you have to be to move from U23 football to PL.

Good opportunity for him. Also a bit of a reality check for some fans. He is the main striker from the U23s last season and has been sent to League Two.

Shows how good you have to be to move from U23 football to PL.

Just a good move for him to get some competing minutes.

I assumed Seager would go out again, but maybe we will keep him around.

A reality check for who? Was someone calling for Olomola to play? It just shows you probably need a loan move or two to go well before you can progress, unless you're a ridiculously rare talent. Few academy strikers burst on the scene in the premier league without a loan somewhere first. Can only think of Rashford in recent years.

Exactly. A prime case in point being that Harry Kane was out on loan at L.Orient, Millwall and a totally goalless spell at Norwich before he played for Spurs and banged them in.

Not sure this is good news for the lad. If he was to have any future here surely he'd have gone with the 28 man squad to Austria. The fact that he hasn't is a sign that the Club had already made up their mind about him and Pellegrino wasn't going to be given the chance to change their minds. Very unlikely he'll be coming back.

Having seen him in action quite a few times with the U23's and in the odd run-out with the grown-ups he came across to me as pretty much a one dimensional traditional centre forward where energy was amongst his strongest suites.

Not sure this is good news for the lad. If he was to have any future here surely he'd have gone with the 28 man squad to Austria. The fact that he hasn't is a sign that the Club had already made up their mind about him and Pellegrino wasn't going to be given the chance to change their minds. Very unlikely he'll be coming back.

Having seen him in action quite a few times with the U23's and in the odd run-out with the grown-ups he came across to me as pretty much a one dimensional traditional centre forward where energy was amongst his strongest suites.

Surely it being a 6 month implies he's got time while on loan to impress? If it was a year, we're much more likely to offer the chance to buy. I think this is a good move for him.

Good luck to him, remember he was out for most of the second half of last season which can't have helped his progression.

I see loan moves as the next step from playing U23 or going on the pre-pre-season trip. More competitive against seasoned pros. The difference in skill level is not as vast as some people make out and the physicality is pretty much the same.

He has always come across as having a bit more savvy than your average teenager/footballer; so I would imagine he has thought hard about his options and chosen to prove himself in regular competitive games.

Having seen a bit of Olomola and a fair bit of L2 football he's got every chance of scoring 15 goals before January in his spell there, and Yeovil aren't much cop. The Newport-supporting bit of me is a bit annoyed they weren't in for him.

• 5 weeks later...

Only just realised his strike partner is Francois Zoko. Really experienced player from the lower leagues. Pretty sure he was playing for Carlisle when we were in league one. Good player for Olomola to be learning from.

He's doing reasonably well, 4 goals in 307 minutes so far, basically a goal a game. Should be on target for the predicted 15 by January if his injury isn't serious. He did get called "OLL-oohfulla" rather than "Oller-fella" on Channel 5 last week, however.

Don't get too carried away though, Frank Nouble has a fairly similar 5 already for Newport in 429 minutes of L2/EFL Cup/Checkatrade so far, and that's as many goals as Nouble's EVER scored in a season in a career that took in 4 appearances for West Ham before 8 loan deals and 6 free transfers in the subsequent 8 seasons, mostly at Championship and League One level. Scoring goals in L2 is no kind of indicator of future Premier League success. Though if he wants to go and make himself properly famous I'm all in favour as we've got his match-issued Europa League shirt (from a game he wasn't in the squad for).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good goal which I've seen on Westcountry News but the sending off was something else! Not quite the Oscar Gobern kung fu at Bournemouth but very close and about 10 red cards, not just one. Mass brawl followed as well.

Recall him - a few of our big time Charlies need the 'Hartson/Berkovic' treatment as well..

Good goal which I've seen on Westcountry News but the sending off was something else! Not quite the Oscar Gobern kung fu at Bournemouth but very close and about 10 red cards, not just one. Mass brawl followed as well.

Recall him - a few of our big time Charlies need the 'Hartson/Berkovic' treatment as well..

Just did a search for it and the first thing that came up was "Yeovil to appeal Olomola red card"... ?

Also read this in a local match report: "The bigger risk is that the appeal will be deemed frivolous by the FA and lead to Olomola being banned for an additional game. Given his importance to the team, and the difficult run of fixtures that Yeovil have through November, it seems that this could just be an unnecessary gamble by the club.

Many who have gone on to become top players fell foul of their hotheadedness as youngsters, and Saturday’s dismissal should do nothing to take away from how impressive the Southampton trainee’s time at Huish Park has been until now."

Edited by mrfahaji

What are you on about?

It was not that bad, debatable that is even a yellow

Saw him play a few weeks ago v Cambridge. Powerful player but technically he is going to have to improve a lot if he is to make it at Premiership level, poor first touch and didn't link up well with his teammates. However he clearly knows where the goal are and 6 in 11 for a poor Yeovil side is very impressive.

I think you were watching Zoko get Yeovil's 2nd red card.

Olomolo should certainly appeal his.