SSN: Southampton want to sign Luciano Vietto

SuperSAINT

Had a feeling we were looking to replace Jay, this would be a good signing. I remember before he got his big move to Atletco he was really highly rated, think he was at Villarreal. He's a good age, quick as **** and tricky.

Can he play in one of the wider positions, or is he just an out and out striker?

Was hoping for a CM first, or an AM... but maybe I'm just being a bit precious.

Can play - and has played - across the front 3. I remember him at Villarreal most fondly, forced Atletcio into shelling almost £30m on him. He's a talent for sure.

Another amazing black box coincidence. We've got an Argie Manager who last managed in Spain and we're trying to sign an Argie who is playing in Spain.

I also just read he was dubbed the new Sergio Aguero due to his determind playing style, I'd suggest more the Argentine Shane Long.

You know managers also get scouted, not just players? Pochettino & Pellegrino were both at Spanish clubs.

Oh dear, it seems Saints were scouting a player when they saw Pochettino. they weren't scouting him.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/revealed-how-scouting-philippe-coutinho-paved-the-way-for-mauricio-pochettinos-arrival-at-tottenham-a3240441.html

latest?cb=20090713110933

Another amazing black box coincidence. We've got an Argie Manager who last managed in Spain and we're trying to sign an Argie who is playing in Spain.

I also just read he was dubbed the new Sergio Aguero due to his determind playing style, I'd suggest more the Argentine Shane Long.

Judging by the video you could be on to something there - let's hope he doesn't sing!...

Isn't Long the Irish Marian Pahars?

So is this player more like a David Silva type, can anyone confirm? Over on 606 they seem to think so.

More of a poor's man Dybala. A quick and direct player, ideal for a counter-attacking style.

I'm concerned about his frame though. Could be pushed around easily by big defenders on the Prem.

Seems OK. I'd quite like some real quality this window as well though like Wanyama, Mane etc rather than just potential or a bit of a gamble.

Given that Mane was from the Austrian league and Wanyama was from the Scottish league... to say you want players like both of them who don't come as gambles or who are just potential is pretty hilarious.

Given that Mane was from the Austrian league and Wanyama was from the Scottish league... to say you want players like both of them who don't come as gambles or who are just potential is pretty hilarious.

Not at all, the league they come from is fairly irrelevant. Wanyama was obvious quality and had been MOTM in the champions league against Barcelona. Mane too had rave reviews with many commentators and fans commenting on what a talent he was. It's not "hilarious" to suggest that both had a fair bit more going for them than simply potential. All signings are a gamble to an extent but some clearly represent less of one than others.

Not really, as we just lost JRod, and I'd back this lad to get a couple more goals than Jay did last season if given the same amount of game time this year.

But Gallagher has just signed a new contract as well. If we are keeping him in the squad then I can't see us keeping Austin, Gabbi, Vietto, Long and Gallagher happy. I reckon Long will leave.

More of a poor's man Dybala. A quick and direct player, ideal for a counter-attacking style.

I'm concerned about his frame though. Could be pushed around easily by big defenders on the Prem.

my first thought was : small. way small.

but what do I know?

But Gallagher has just signed a new contract as well. If we are keeping him in the squad then I can't see us keeping Austin, Gabbi, Vietto, Long and Gallagher happy. I reckon Long will leave.

Is Vietto capable of playing in a wide/wing position? Saint's lacked a genuine fast, tricky wide player last season - apart from Redmond and perhaps Sims.

JWP may have had an improved season but he didn't look effective played wide right.

In discussions doesn't mean will sign. We are probably in dicussions with stacks of clubs/players.

Exactly. I'm surprised this has been leaked from the club, if indeed it has. We're usually pretty good at keeping our cards close to our chest. "Saints want to sign..." is a West Ham-type announcement. Although they'd need their own channel for announcing who they're after. :lol:

Never heard of Vietto, so rather than instantly writing him off, I'll wait and see until a) we've actually signed him and b) I've seen him play.

Adam Blackmore saying this story is "wide of the mark".

Good. We don't need a striker who doesn't score goals, a player in the final third who has little physical presence and a player who is competing for a spot in the team in an area we already have good players.

We desperately need a central midfielder who has the ability to carry the ball past a player (power and stride, not skill) to break the line of a bank of five opposition midfielders and open things up for us.