Checkatrade Trophy

saint si

Dear F.A.,

Please, please, pretty please could you make sure you keep that mean club Southampton (who we call the Scummers lol) away from us in the Checkatrade draw. They will smash us to pieces and make our fans cry, including our club pin-up Mr Westwood. Then they will laud it over us for years because the chances of us playing them again in a higher league are slim. If you could oblige, we will send you all our pocket money (£3.46p), our Panini album from 2006 (when we were good) and our entire collection of Lego cards. All will be wrapped up in a brown, nondescript envelope because that's what we're used to. Plus dirty Tracy will show you her FooFoo if that's what you want. Don't let the the scummers know that's why we're out the draw, please lie and say it's for policing issues.

Thanks! Lots of love,

Iain McInnes :mcinnes:

Our ball was purposely removed when they drew the teams from Pompey's group to avoid a 'high-profile clash' :lol:

Bristol Rovers vs Swindon is far bigger than our U23's vs some 3rd tier relegation contenders that are about 5years old as a club. They need to get some serious perspective!

Dear F.A.,

Please, please, pretty please could you make sure you keep that mean club Southampton (who we call the Scummers lol) away from us in the Checkatrade draw. They will smash us to pieces and make our fans cry, including our club pin-up Mr Westwood. Then they will laud it over us for years because the chances of us playing them again in a higher league are slim. If you could oblige, we will send you all our pocket money (£3.46p), our Panini album from 2006 (when we were good) and our entire collection of Lego cards. All will be wrapped up in a brown, nondescript envelope because that's what we're used to. Plus dirty Tracy will show you her FooFoo if that's what you want. Don't let the the scummers know that's why we're out the draw, please lie and say it's for policing issues.

Thanks! Lots of love,

Dear Iain,

You should probably address your letter to the EFL.

Regards,

The FA.

Got relegated last season i think

All our academy sides play a class up. Also, the U23s are the Premier League 2 side which effectively constitute our reserves, this is an U21 team due to the Checkatrade Trophy rules.

Blimey Spurs got a plumb easy draw with hardly a late night getting home to be seen, will their oppos be getting a night out at Wembley too (can't remember how this new format works)

All of the U21 sides play all their games away.

All of the U21 sides play all their games away.

Still Spurs have easiest travel agenda of the lot, at final whistle nowt is more than an hour away, all of those balls must have been in the oven for at least an hour too!

Chelsea nippers have a bit of a hike - Yeovil - Exeter - Plymouth. Leicesters are a bit of a pig too - Morecambe - Fleetwood - Carlisle.

Dear F.A.,

Thanks! Lots of love,

It's 'lord it over'.

HTH.

(I'll assume it was deliberate as you were copying McInnes who unfortunately didn't eat his hat this year).

How do we end up in an almost East Midlands group?

Because all of the groups were regionally placed last week, with the U21 teams drawn into one of those groups yesterday.

I'm quite pleased because Newport are away to Forest Green which is within 2 hours' drive of Southampton in midweek, and if I do that I don't need to go to Forest Green v Newport in the league, which frees me up for Saints v Newcastle without needing it shifted for tv. However, as they're announcing the Prem tv games for October before the Checkatrade game is played, I can wait and see anyway.

Edited by The9

• 2 months later...
@SouthamptonFC: Here's how #SaintsFC's youngsters line-up for tonight's #CheckatradeTrophy tie away to #CamUTD at Abbey Stadium:

DLOmYZfXoAMpEiG.jpg

Surprised one or two more of the fringe first team squad aren't included (assuming the rules for over aged players is the same as league games).

We clearly aren't remotely interested in progressing in this competition, putting out much weaker sides than we did last season. Another cup competition exited at the first hurdle? Thought about going tonight but decided against it.

We clearly aren't remotely interested in progressing in this competition, putting out much weaker sides than we did last season. Another cup competition exited at the first hurdle? Thought about going tonight but decided against it.

Good, it's a disgrace Premier League reserve teams are allowed in it. We shouldn't be trying to progress.

This victory was impressive. A behind closed door friendly meant that this was a very young size against a very physical Cambridge team.

Yes Saints we're lucky that Cambridge couldn't finish, but a lot of credit has to Jaidi for the way he organized his team, for Thor discipline and determination to find a way to win. The goal came from Saints only chance on target and some great resilience from Ollie Cooke and O'Driscoll meant Saints weathered the storm.

Outstanding players tonight were Slattery (big future), Barnes (held up the ball excellently and challenged for everything), both centrebacks and Alex McCarthy who really showed excellent handling. Will Wood did well against some tough opposition.

I do question if Alfie Jones is mobile enough for holding midfield. He is a strong lad, but does lack pace.

All in all a great evenings entertainment and it was a real treat to watch Jaidee Coaching from the sideline. Very impressed and no bad language. Model professional.

Heard today that VVD is really enjoying being back and regrets having had to alienate himself during his transfer disagreement. It appears he was under instruction by his management. I may well leave in January, but there won't be a repeat of the stand off.

You mean the sulking kid has come out of his bedroom after realising he was missing out on the fun the others were having.

This victory was impressive. A behind closed door friendly meant that this was a very young size against a very physical Cambridge team.

Yes Saints we're lucky that Cambridge couldn't finish, but a lot of credit has to Jaidi for the way he organized his team, for Thor discipline and determination to find a way to win. The goal came from Saints only chance on target and some great resilience from Ollie Cooke and O'Driscoll meant Saints weathered the storm.

Outstanding players tonight were Slattery (big future), Barnes (held up the ball excellently and challenged for everything), both centrebacks and Alex McCarthy who really showed excellent handling. Will Wood did well against some tough opposition.

I do question if Alfie Jones is mobile enough for holding midfield. He is a strong lad, but does lack pace.

All in all a great evenings entertainment and it was a real treat to watch Jaidee Coaching from the sideline. Very impressed and no bad language. Model professional.

What do you mean behind closed doors friendly, it was open to all and £10 admission, at least 20 Saints fans I saw in attendance.

Was a good nights entertainment and agree generally with your view of Saints standout players, although felt Alfie Jones was good in defensive midfield role

What do you mean behind closed doors friendly, it was open to all and £10 admission, at least 20 Saints fans I saw in attendance.

Was a good nights entertainment and agree generally with your view of Saints standout players, although felt Alfie Jones was good in defensive midfield role

Sounds like Saints had organised a behind closed doors friendly - thats what im taking from it (couldnt choose from 1st team squad as all involved there to try and stop us being rubbish)? Be good to know more about that if there is any info.... did we score?

Good to see some resilience and promise in the kids though and pleased Jaidis coaching is impressing - nice to have some more positives

Good, it's a disgrace Premier League reserve teams are allowed in it. We shouldn't be trying to progress.

I think it is a reasonable compromise. Gives youngsters a taste of real football to help their development while being a million miles away from the horror of having B sides competing in the actual league.

• 1 month later...