Black keeps his job

patred44

Pelligrino announced his backroom staff today..and Black remains

"Meanwhile Eric Black – who was appointed alongside Claude Puel last summer – will remain at the club whilst taking on the role of Senior First Team Coach. Despite controversies during his maiden season on the south coast, it’s believed that Black was kept on due to his popularity with the players and staff.

The Scot was linked with a bribing scandal late last year but claims have since simmered down, meaning the former Aston Villa assistant will remain a vital part of Southampton’s coaching team for the foreseeable future.

http://saintsmarching.com/2017/07/15/southampton-officially-announce-new-coaching-staff/

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-07-15/mauricio-pellegrino-southampton-coaching-staff-confirmed

Edited by patred44

So funny this, don't get the hate towards the bloke, how does anyone know that he has a negative effect!?

I have no insider knowledge and he might be a total **** but think it's funny how some of our fans moan about him like hes the only reason we were sh!t last season!!!

As a player of course he knows about winning both European competitions - he even scored in the final - as well as winning a National Cup with a relatively small club. He is also a very well regarded coach (which is I believe what the club are employing him to be) and in his only real managerial job (I am discounting his brief spell at Motherwell who were falling apart at the time following a spell of 'management' by Billy Davies) was very popular with the fans because of the attractive style of play Coventry adopted under him.

Don't see what in his cv justifies him for a role for a top half premier league club.

It may be that his coaching far outstrips the mediocrity of achievement clubs he's been involved with have produced but it's worrying that something not very important such as popularity is being used as justification for keeping him rather than bigging up his skills.

Don't see what in his cv justifies him for a role for a top half premier league club.

It may be that his coaching far outstrips the mediocrity of achievement clubs he's been involved with have produced but it's worrying that something not very important such as popularity is being used as justification for keeping him rather than bigging up his skills.

SFC " So Mr Black, we are a top half premier club, what justifies you for a role as our Senior First Team Coach?"

EB "Well, let's see, how about last season I was Assistant Manager at a club that finished in the top half of the Premier League"

SFC "You're re-hired"

Ah the Terry Paine - Lawrie McMenemy syndrome strikes!

You could say the same about Mourinho bit of a playing career in Portuguese lower divisions then not much else till he turns up as Bobby Robsons interpreter at Sporting........... and the rest is history.

I always thought of him as a dour miserable unispiring bloke, but seeing as overall the club aren't a bunch of numpties and they have worked with him for the past year, then I will happily trust their judgement on this.

Why is it not very important? If the players enjoy working with him and the new management staff are happy for him to stay, then what's the problem?

Or, why is his unpopularity amongst fans (for some reason) of any significance at all?

Ah the Terry Paine - Lawrie McMenemy syndrome strikes!

You could say the same about Mourinho bit of a playing career in Portuguese lower divisions then not much else till he turns up as Bobby Robsons interpreter at Sporting........... and the rest is history.

But Black was a bloody good footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a full time clown to entertain them?

Keep him as hes best qualified and best ee could possibly hire... Not because he's friends with the players.

Depends how much you charge.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a full time clown to entertain them?

Keep him as hes best qualified and best ee could possibly hire... Not because he's friends with the players.

That presumably is how you would run a football club: clowns plus no doubt beer and videos. Plus crisps and peanuts. Oh, don't forget the McDoanlds.

Everyone is happy! Yay! We're going to win the league!

I dont think that is the way it works.

The usual suspects are out with their negative posts based on nothing because they have no access to any facts. The retention of Ian Black isn't fresh news because it was known some time ago that he was changing roles from assistant manager to senior first team coach with the reasons for the decision being continuity, experience of the Premier League and a good relationship with the players. This looks like a good move because it has also allowed Pellegrino to have his two trusted coaches from Alaves to work with him.

Just in case Ralph Krueger and Les Reed don't take advice from this forum (however remotely unlikely that is) perhaps those who know better how to run the club should send their advice directly to the Board instead of boring we fans with their opinions.

Can you explain what black has done wrong whilst being at saints, I'm interested in where he's failed to do his job. Thanks.

Was he part of the Puel failure?

I have nothing against Black just felt after last season a clean slate was required.

Felt like Mope deserved to pick his own team not inherit some of Puels crew.

V popular with the players plus his knowledge of British football are two good reasons to keep him.

Oh come come - A 'knowledge of British Football Its not bloody rocket science !!!!!

Popular with the players is also no reason to keep him....

New manager should intimate that something was wrong with previous set up..

why keep any part of it .... ???

A bad decision unless you want last year's philosophies to be a part of this year's.....

Old management team still around after brining in new management team doesn't make any sense at all...

Oh come come - A 'knowledge of British Football Its not bloody rocket science !!!!!

A bad decision unless you want last year's philosophies to be a part of this year's.....

Old management team still around after brining in new management team doesn't make any sense at all...

Continuity.. British... Experience... Player knowledge...Popular..

Not all was bad last year, why chuck the baby out with the bathwater ?

Most companies would see this a very sensible succession plan, why not you and the king troll ??

Have to agree on this, I remember him coming here and the villa fans laughing saying he'll help take us down, I don't know but there has to be something in it

Have to agree on this, I remember him coming here and the villa fans laughing saying he'll help take us down, I don't know but there has to be something in it

They got that wrong then, why should we listen to prats from other (lower division) teams !

Continuity.. British... Experience... Player knowledge...Popular..

Not all was bad last year, why chuck the baby out with the bathwater ?

Most companies would see this a very sensible succession plan, why not you and the king troll ??

Please keep your personal insults to yourself. If you can't have an opinion without throwing abuse around to other legitimate posters then take yourself off the forum.

Please keep your personal insults to yourself. If you can't have an opinion without throwing abuse around to other legitimate posters then take yourself off the forum.

:lol: he did`nt insult you, dont get so prissy, he just stated a sensible view, you should try it

V popular with the players plus his knowledge of British football are two good reasons to keep him.

That is not actually a fact, that he is popular with the players. It is an opinion not backed up by any actual fact. When I see 4 players tweeting how they are pleased he is staying, I might

change my view that he is Les Reed's "spycam".

That is not actually a fact, that he is popular with the players. It is an opinion not backed up by any actual fact. When I see 4 players tweeting how they are pleased he is staying, I might

change my view that he is Les Reed's "spycam".

You appear to have a Les Reed fetish.