How would you feel if no one left but we didn't sign anyone else?

Bad Wolf

We are being linked with plenty of players in the media. Ok, 95% of the rumours are BS but I don't think we need worry about no further transfer activity inwards for a while yet.

Most of the players linked have gone to have clubs.

Underwhelmed. We have an obvious lack of mobility, physicality and creativity in the midfield, and it's hard to imagine the quality of football is likely to be any more dynamic than under Puel unless that is addressed.

A new keeper and some real pace out wide wouldn't hurt either.

Agreed. No reason we can't be looking to bring in one or two players of real quality to improve our team in the weak areas.

Underwhelmed/Slight grumble/Content...ish.

If we can't afford to go out and buy a CM (~£10m or less) without having to finance it through sales, then my eyebrow would certainly be raised. We'd probably have to lose Clasie though, for numbers sake.

I wouldn't be devastated but I'd still like to see 3 out 3 in personally.

Clasie to be replaced by a more physical, mobile midfielder

Long to be replaced by an attacking midfielder. Someone with pace but more talent.

Gardos out, another CB in. I'm not happy that Bednarek seems to have replaced Fonte

See how he bounces back this season - if he continues as he did last season, then I agree it could become a problem. For now, don't think its a priority. A DM, CB, AM are my priority areas in that order.

I would agree - think Fraser was carrying a niggling problem in the groin/hernia area and due to two dreadful windows, the midfield apart from Romeu was horribly power-puff. So FF's protection was heavily reduced from his first 3 seasons. PEH was managed poorly last year and should be better, JWP improving but have to work to his strengths and limitations. Would perhaps say AM slightly ahead of CB, but didn't quite get the Bednarek signing unless Saints were taking a promising player off the market. DMC definitely top of agenda although take Cartman's point that athleticism and stamina are equally as important as height.

Long to be replaced by an attacking midfielder. Someone with pace but more talent.

Gardos out, another CB in. I'm not happy that Bednarek seems to have replaced Fonte

Totally agree on Clasie, decent player but unless MP changes the system quite considerably we won't see the best of him. Agree also on point 3 about CBs. Less sure on point 2 - Long is 30 so club may sell if interest but Shane was another poorly managed last year and could have an 8-12 goal league season if played to his strengths, rather than being obsessed with playing one way as Puel was.

Doubt we will see movement until late in the Window, i expect that the new manager is being given time to assess his squad before signing off on potential purchases.

Could be some truth in this although the club have always said that transfer strategy happens with some managerial input (Tadic and Martina clearly had the input of Koeman/s) but largely independently. Doubt if MP knew much about Bednarak for example.

I'd be gutted if we never bought anybody else in. If we are going to keep up with Everton we need at least another 6 or 7 stellar players, buy, buy, buy I say.

I know you are being ironic but I actually don't think Everton's signings would be right for us anyway and they've lost Lukaku. We are lacking in different areas - power/stamina/athleticism in midfield, giving Romeu and FF helping with screening the back 4 and possibly CB. Want to give Gallagher a proper chance and for MP to implement his system before strikers are considered, if they are in Jan at all.

I know you are being ironic but I actually don't think Everton's signings would be right for us anyway and they've lost Lukaku. We are lacking in different areas - power/stamina/athleticism in midfield, giving Romeu and FF helping with screening the back 4 and possibly CB. Want to give Gallagher a proper chance and for MP to implement his system before strikers are considered, if they are in Jan at all.

You are correct all round. I was being ironic - hard not to around here.

But I also totally agree with your assessment. Another DM is priority as far as I am concerned. If we kept everybody else I'd be happy - but if we lose Romeu for any amount of time we could be in trouble.

You know our goalkeepers don't have to be english or signed from english clubs right? And so what if Forster is homegrown, we have more than enough. He's crap and we need better.

I am aware of that yes, you are aware that we have to have a certain number of homegrown players in the squad, and a certain number of goalkeepers? Guessing our data-crunchers have worked out that it makes the most sense to buy in homegrown talent in the cheapest positions when we need to do that.

Bit annoyed sure you want to keep your best players together however at least lay down some money and sign a world class def mid or top signing to get the place buzzing and show a bit of ambition...

"Get the place buzzing"

"Show a bit of ambition"

West Ham's reasons for signing players, everyone.

I would agree - think Fraser was carrying a niggling problem in the groin/hernia area and due to two dreadful windows, the midfield apart from Romeu was horribly power-puff. So FF's protection was heavily reduced from his first 3 seasons. PEH was managed poorly last year and should be better, JWP improving but have to work to his strengths and limitations. Would perhaps say AM slightly ahead of CB, but didn't quite get the Bednarek signing unless Saints were taking a promising player off the market. DMC definitely top of agenda although take Cartman's point that athleticism and stamina are equally as important as height.

I'm fairly sure not adding a midfielder was to give Ward-Prowse, Clasie, Reed, Hojbjerg and any academy prospect the chance to develop. That said, Davis is getting on a bit and will start to lose effectiveness other than his awful shot conversion rate soon, so we're going to be looking around for someone.

Disappointed - you don't progress by staying still, and we always position ourselves as a progressive club.

Concerned - every team in the Prem has plenty of cash, so why aren't we using some. Don't need to see us smashing out huge sums.

Interested - is MP better than CP. Would make a direct comparison very easy.

Ultimately though, I'm sure there will be a couple of more additions. We haven't done much business so far and we are never noisy about our targets, but that really has no bearing on what has happened by the time the window closes

Disappointed, we never seem to actually invest in the team, just replace players we've flogged with cheaper ones. I'm not surprised ST seals have not been great, I think a summer where we actually improve the squad would give everyone a bit of a lift.

At the very least we need a replacement for Jay Rod.

Disappointed, we never seem to actually invest in the team, just replace players we've flogged with cheaper ones. I'm not surprised ST seals have not been great, I think a summer where we actually improve the squad would give everyone a bit of a lift.

At the very least we need a replacement for Jay Rod.

Gabbiadini is the replacement for Jay Rod.

Don't think thats the case. Think Yoshida has replaced Fonte, and Stephens & Bednarek have replaced Yoshida and Gardos - don't need any more than 4 CB's.

Agree on the other two though, Don't forget we have lost J-Rod so even if we kept Long, then I'd want another wide man / winger in.

Forster, McCarthy, Taylor

Cedric, Pied

Bertrand, McQueen, Targett (one to probably leave)

VVD, Yoshida, Bednarek, Stephens

Romeu, NEW, Hojbjerg, JWP, Davis

Boufal, Tadic, Redmond, NEW

Gabbiadini, Austin, Long, Gallagher

Would be a pretty decent squad to go into the season with....bearing in mind it felt that we under performed last season with the squad we have.

Provided we have to fit in 6 extra games before Xmas for some reason and a trip to a different continent midweek for the lolz, yes. This season should be in no way considered comparable to last, which stretched the club's playing resources to their limits. This season's benchmarks for Premier League position should be much higher, just from not having the burden of Europa League games alone.

Don't think thats the case. Think Yoshida has replaced Fonte, and Stephens & Bednarek have replaced Yoshida and Gardos - don't need any more than 4 CB's.

Agree on the other two though, Don't forget we have lost J-Rod so even if we kept Long, then I'd want another wide man / winger in.

Cedric, Pied

Would be a pretty decent squad to go into the season with....bearing in mind it felt that we under performed last season with the squad we have.

Yep, I agree with that and would be pretty happy if we made the 2 signings that you have suggested, and offload Clasie, who would then be surplus to requirements. I still would rather we had signed a higher calibre CB to replace Fonte, especially given the possible issues we may have with Van Dijk, but I get that the club are obviously hoping that Stephens and Bednarek will keep developing and get better. Regarding left backs, if we were to lose Bertrand, I would expect us to sign another contender for 1st choice position, rather than be left with McQueen/Targett, which for me would look like a weak link. At present, I rate McQueen slightly higher than Targett and think he has more versatility in other positions, so would rather see us keep him and possibly loan out Targett?

In my opinion our midfielders are all too similar and we need one who can create chances and/or run beyond the front players. Without that I fear a season of lots of tidy possession but too few chances for the front players to create.

We created as many chances as Arsenal last season. The quality of those chances (same number of chances but in more difficult positions to score), and taking them (add to that that we were worst in the league for goals from chances created after 5 months of the season) were the problems. For instance, Redmond took lots of shots from positions he wasn't likely to score from, whilst Long took lots of shots from positions he should have scored from and didn't.

In my opinion our midfielders are all too similar and we need one who can create chances and/or run beyond the front players. Without that I fear a season of lots of tidy possession but too few chances for the front players to create.

We have what we can afford to have is the short answer. If we want better, more efficient, players then we need to find more money from somewhere or other. Both to keep the rare talents that we do find and obtain new ones. Isn't it strange that the clubs who have the most money have all the luck in finding efficient strikers and creative midfielders. We need to get the takeover done and move forward.

I wouldn't be surprised at all as that is probably what is going to happen anyway. There maybe isn't enough time now for Pellegrino to get to know all his players , their S & W's and to find acquisition targets to replace any current players he feels will not cut the mustard in his set up.

We created as many chances as Arsenal last season. The quality of those chances (same number of chances but in more difficult positions to score), and taking them (add to that that we were worst in the league for goals from chances created after 5 months of the season) were the problems. For instance, Redmond took lots of shots from positions he wasn't likely to score from, whilst Long took lots of shots from positions he should have scored from and didn't.

And half our chances, we surely crossing in to Long, JRod, Austin and Gabbiadini, who clearly aren't particularly great in the air!

We could do with signing a midfielder who can pick out the runs of Gabbiadini far earlier than we did last season. That was my main hopes for signing this summer but they are few and far between and expensive.

If we don't sign anyone of note, but don't sell anyone then perhaps we've done better than recent windows but not to buy anyone of note would be an interesting choice for the club to make.

Correct in principle, but not in practise. They'll be a load of pony about style & goals scored, points below the team above & points above the relegated teams etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was already here.

We could name players that are already here as replacements all day long, don't make the squad any better.

We didn't sign Austin and Gabbi for fun. Both were obviously signed with a view to someone else leaving at some point. With Austin it was Pelle and Gabbi it was JRod.

We clearly have enough strikers, whether they are good enough is another question but we wont be getting another without somebody leaving.

We could do with signing a midfielder who can pick out the runs of Gabbiadini far earlier than we did last season. That was my main hopes for signing this summer but they are few and far between and expensive.

If we don't sign anyone of note, but don't sell anyone then perhaps we've done better than recent windows but not to buy anyone of note would be an interesting choice for the club to make.

Dusan Tadic is more than capable of this. He certainly has weaknesses in his game, but passing (and creating chances) is not one of them.

I think we will sign the utility Alaves guy we are linked with and possibly Armstrong from Celtic and that will be it. If we do that and ship out maybe Clasie I'd be happy enough. Obviously if we sold VVD or Bertrand I'd expect replacements for them.

Cedric, Pied

What if our inept manager was only part of it, what if last season was exactly the season you would expect from that squad.

Dusan Tadic is more than capable of this. He certainly has weaknesses in his game, but passing (and creating chances) is not one of them.

He can do it but he often hold s on to the ball for too long. But maybe the new coach will encourage him to release the ball earier as Gabbiadini begins to make his runs.

We didn't sign Austin and Gabbi for fun. Both were obviously signed with a view to someone else leaving at some point. With Austin it was Pelle and Gabbi it was JRod.

We clearly have enough strikers, whether they are good enough is another question but we wont be getting another without somebody leaving.

Whatever way you cut it, if we don't replace Jay Rod we start this season weaker up front than last. And we struggled to score big time.

Whatever way you cut it, if we don't replace Jay Rod we start this season weaker up front than last. And we struggled to score big time.

A maturing, more experienced Sam Gallacher has taken JayRod's place in the sqaud (for now at least). At this stage who knows whether he will be stronger/weaker/equal to the version of JayRoad we saw last season - who, whatever way you cut it, was a shadow of his former self.

He can do it but he often hold s on to the ball for too long. But maybe the new coach will encourage him to release the ball earier as Gabbiadini begins to make his runs.

Possibly. I think he holds on to it more when he plays wide, but to be fair to him he oftens turns a defender inside out before eventually getting a cross in. When he plays centrally he's better at releasing the pass, but I'm not sure if his all round game is good enough to play that position. Perhaps with JWP on the right he could do.

Perhaps you're thinking of someone like Danny Drinkwater (not saying he should be a target), who was excellent in pinging those balls over the top for Vardy, and looking for that pass was almost the first port of call. That being said, when you have someone with Vardy's pace, you can build your game around it. Gabbiadini doesn't have that, and although Shane Long does, I don't think we're going to adapt our whole system to play that way, especially with his profligacy.

Who knows, perhaps Ward-Prowse could be the man with such a skill?

We're stronger than we were at the beginning of last season. In MG and CA we have two very capable goalscorers and in Gallagher a promising young player. If we're playing 1 up front, that's enough; if anything I believe we have a surplus in Shane Long. If you're expecting us to have 5 strikers on the books come the end of August, you are likely to be highly disappointed.

Creating decent chances, that's a different matter.

Austin is Pellè's replacement

Huge fan of Austin but he isn't someone who is always fit. Has played less then 20 pl games in 3 years. If our plan is to assume he will play 20+ games this season then it's crazy imo. I think if we go into next season with the squad as it is we will struggle.

We're stronger than we were at the beginning of last season. In MG and CA we have two very capable goalscorers and in Gallagher a promising young player. If we're playing 1 up front, that's enough; if anything I believe we have a surplus in Shane Long. If you're expecting us to have 5 strikers on the books come the end of August, you are likely to be highly disappointed.

Creating decent chances, that's a different matter.

I'd be happy with 4 if we traded Long in for someone who can actually score. If we go into the season as it is we will be way too reliant of Gabbi IMO. Austin is always injured, Long is not prolific enough and Gallagher is unproven at this level. Our scoring record was abysmal at he end of last season, it would be playing a dangerous game to go into the next season with a weaker forward line.

Huge fan of Austin but he isn't someone who is always fit. Has played less then 20 pl games in 3 years. If our plan is to assume he will play 20+ games this season then it's crazy imo. I think if we go into next season with the squad as it is we will struggle.

You what? In the last 3 years he's played 54 times in the Prem plus 16 times in the Championship.

You what? In the last 3 years he's played 54 times in the Prem plus 16 times in the Championship.

Has he? He started 11 games last season (4 subs) started 2 games the season before (5 subs). Last I checked the championship isn't the pl no? But if we include the championship he played 16 games. By my maths that's 13 pl starts and 9 subs in the pl over past 2 seasons. And if we include the championship that's 29 games in 3 seasons?

Has he? He started 11 games last season (4 subs) started 2 games the season before (5 subs). Last I checked the championship isn't the pl no? But if we include the championship he played 16 games. By my maths that's 13 pl starts and 9 subs in the pl over past 2 seasons. And if we include the championship that's 29 games in 3 seasons?

Last season he was with us. The season before he was with us for 6 months and qpr 6 months (in the champ), the season before that he was with qpr in the prem (35 games and 18 goals). Thats 54 prem games and 16 championship games in the last 3 years/seasons. You're either ignoring the year in the prem with qpr or you actually meant 2 years/season and not 3.

I'd be happy with 4 if we traded Long in for someone who can actually score. If we go into the season as it is we will be way too reliant of Gabbi IMO. Austin is always injured, Long is not prolific enough and Gallagher is unproven at this level. Our scoring record was abysmal at he end of last season, it would be playing a dangerous game to go into the next season with a weaker forward line.

So can you name a club that would swap one then?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Would be delighted if we didn't sell anyone. I know people get bored on here and some would rather lose VVD just to sign 5 or 6 £10m players, but come on, you'd have to be an idiot to think holding onto all our players for once wasn't a great thing.

Look at the market now, there's no value. Unlike teams like West Ham and Stoke, Saints focus on young players who can develop. Keeping our team together isn't standing still, because we'll see players getting better with experience. Many expected VVD, Bertrand, maybe Cedric to leave and they're all still here. We have a big squad with plenty of options.

We came 8th being rubbish, without VVD half the season, without Gabbiadini most of it, without Austin most of it, and with a poor manager IMO. With an extra year's experience, VVD back and some more attacking football I think we can get an extra 15 points with this squad. Is it worth spending fortunes on players who might not be better than we have? Aren't Stephens, Sims, Gallagher and some others worth a go?

The way transfers have gone, looking to the academy makes more sense than ever. An average squad player will quickly be £10-15m so what's the point? Might get the occasion bargain, invest heavily on one of two but ultimately improve players and give academy lads a chance.

Really don't get the obsession with wanting to be like West Ham, Palace or Stoke each season. They waste fortunes and finish below us.

This