How would you feel if no one left but we didn't sign anyone else?

Bad Wolf

If we hold onto all our players like VVD with the vultures circling, that would be a result. It would also send a message to teams like Liverpool, Man U, and Arsenal who have previously cherry-picked some outstanding talent from the club. My concern would be with the DM position. What happens if we lose Romeu to injury?

Last season he was with us. The season before he was with us for 6 months and qpr 6 months (in the champ), the season before that he was with qpr in the prem (35 games and 18 goals). Thats 54 prem games and 16 championship games in the last 3 years/seasons. You're either ignoring the year in the prem with qpr or you actually meant 2 years/season and not 3.

Yes I forgot he was with QPR in the PL in 2014. My bad!

Either way my point was do we think we can keep him fit for the whole season? Personally I am unsure. If we can then that would be great. If we can't then it will put pressure on young Sam to get goals.

I'm fairly sure not adding a midfielder was to give Ward-Prowse, Clasie, Reed, Hojbjerg and any academy prospect the chance to develop. That said, Davis is getting on a bit and will start to lose effectiveness other than his awful shot conversion rate soon, so we're going to be looking around for someone.

Going on Les's comments about the midfield options last summer this is probably on the money as an assessment of club thinking. Fast forward a summer and: JWP rose to the challenge in his new position and developed; Clasie I don't think got a fair rap from Puel but going by LeG's cryptic comments stamina was an issue and if MP wants to reintroduce a higher tempo he'll need to work on that; Reed out on loan and whilst I've liked him when he's played the club feel he has stagnated; PEH - started well but lost not only his place but a bit of his identity by season end (and was as out of favour as Clasie). MP hopefully can help him find what he is really good at again and develop his strengths. Davis; Mr Reliable and the Kelvin of this era (and a very fine player). I agree that he is starting to fade which is why my priority would be DMC and AMC (latter for Davis) for incoming transfers. Another DC if there's something decent left in the kitty but not absolutely essential if VVD stays AND we buy another DMC with stamina and ability to screen the back 4 to help Romeu.

I will be reasonable happy IF our main lot stay but having said that I would have liked

to see a change in the goal keeping coaching department. I feel we need someone who

can get FF to leave his goal line and really boss the penalty area. He is a big lad and having

him in their face would make a few attackers a bit more concerned and give them far less time

to try and score. A bit more coaching on how to stop low shots would also help a great deal.

Would be delighted if we didn't sell anyone. I know people get bored on here and some would rather lose VVD just to sign 5 or 6 £10m players, but come on, you'd have to be an idiot to think holding onto all our players for once wasn't a great thing.

Look at the market now, there's no value. Unlike teams like West Ham and Stoke, Saints focus on young players who can develop. Keeping our team together isn't standing still, because we'll see players getting better with experience. Many expected VVD, Bertrand, maybe Cedric to leave and they're all still here. We have a big squad with plenty of options.

We came 8th being rubbish, without VVD half the season, without Gabbiadini most of it, without Austin most of it, and with a poor manager IMO. With an extra year's experience, VVD back and some more attacking football I think we can get an extra 15 points with this squad. Is it worth spending fortunes on players who might not be better than we have? Aren't Stephens, Sims, Gallagher and some others worth a go?

The way transfers have gone, looking to the academy makes more sense than ever. An average squad player will quickly be £10-15m so what's the point? Might get the occasion bargain, invest heavily on one of two but ultimately improve players and give academy lads a chance.

Really don't get the obsession with wanting to be like West Ham, Palace or Stoke each season. They waste fortunes and finish below us.

This all makes perfect sense and I agree with it. However, I would like to see Clasie replaced by a different midfielder. Reason being: we have four midfielders of a similar ilk, in that they play a 'general' midfield role without standing out in one particular area - Davis, JWP, Clasie & Hojbjerg. Due to Davis' age, I can't see us getting much money for him, and his standing as club captain probably means he stays. Of the other three, none have really stepped up to be an obvious first choice. That means that no matter who plays, there's a potential weakness. Given the age and performances of all three, I think there is less chance of Clasie developing into the obvious first choice than the other two, and therefore I'd prefer to move him on and take a chance with a different player.

If that other player doesn't work out, we're not really in a worse position, but if they do our team is starting to look very good. Risk worth taking? I'm not even talking about spending silly money in this silly market, it could just be another young player we've been keeping tabs on from abroad.

Looks a bit moot now, though it will depend what the club decides to do with Van Dijk.

Tbf he's got 5 years on his deal remaining, we could basically ruin his career if we wanted to. It'll cost us though...