Forster - new 5 year deal...

mcbendy

Then you know nothing about football. It wasn't 'straight at him'. It flew past him at 50mph or more, over 70 ft/s. Human reaction times are such that it was past him before he could begin to move his arms. In order to make a save from that distance you have to anticipate the direction of the ball which is possible to some extent with a swing of the leg but a header can go in any direction and is not predictable. The only way that such headers are 'saved' is if they actually hit the keeper.

I couldn't agree more; the only way any keeper saves that is if they get lucky and it hits them.

I'm not Forster's biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination but anyone who thinks he "should" have saved Zlatan's header is a moron.

Then you know nothing about football. It wasn't 'straight at him'. It flew past him at 50mph or more, over 70 ft/s. Human reaction times are such that it was past him before he could begin to move his arms. In order to make a save from that distance you have to anticipate the direction of the ball which is possible to some extent with a swing of the leg but a header can go in any direction and is not predictable. The only way that such headers are 'saved' is if they actually hit the keeper.

Amen (and I'm a 'keeper... :D)

I don't judge him on his mistakes. Everyone makes those. For me it's more about the lack of world class saves. The sort that you think are in, but somehow the keeper saves them. Low shots going into the corner that you get a nick onto the post or balls that look like they are almost past the keeper.

For Saints fans the name Niemi is synonymous with unbelievable saves. Forster offers a greater physical presence, but I don't think he is in the same class at all.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. There has to be better out there unless good keepers are becoming an endangered species.

Bit baffled by that - plays terrible majority of the season and gets rewarded like this? Having said that he has shown he can be a great 'keeper on his day so fingers crossed he's more consistent this season.

Agree - poor season last year but if he returns to form this year this will be looked upon as good business. Shrewd move I think

I don't judge him on his mistakes. Everyone makes those. For me it's more about the lack of world class saves. The sort that you think are in, but somehow the keeper saves them. Low shots going into the corner that you get a nick onto the post or balls that look like they are almost past the keeper.

For Saints fans the name Niemi is synonymous with unbelievable saves. Forster offers a greater physical presence, but I don't think he is in the same class at all.

I still prefer Niemi, but:

https://youtu.be/Z33ztVxmDhw

Edited by Faz

Plenty better out there. Forget clean sheets, look at saves made. When do you ever think " how did he save that". If it's on target, it's a high % chance it's in. How many points has he won us since he's been here, not many. Can count his great games on one finger, Arsenal away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The point he saved us against the victims, and the way he did it, was worth a contract extension in itself. Pure comedy gold.

Three worldies in there meeting my pre mentioned criteria, but all whilst he was at Celtic. Lots of decent positioning though and I guess that's half the battle.

As usual you are spot on - Forster has many limitations as a GK and often it's his bulk and height which does the job, rather than reflex and agility. Niemi was different class; it's a while since we had a quality keeper, although Boruc was pretty damn good before Koeman took a dislike to him.

Chez, about the only time I can recall having disagreement with your opinions/reviews etc was when you rated Hoiveld as a better CB than Fonte - remember that? Keep up the good work.

Sorry Chez, but perhaps you missed this one.......

As usual you are spot on - Forster has many limitations as a GK and often it's his bulk and height which does the job, rather than reflex and agility. Niemi was different class; it's a while since we had a quality keeper, although Boruc was pretty damn good before Koeman took a dislike to him.

Chez, about the only time I can recall having disagreement with your opinions/reviews etc was when you rated Hoiveld as a better CB than Fonte - remember that? Keep up the good work.

I certainly did like to stick up for Hoiveld against the tide. Returning to Forster, the question is could we do better and importantly who would take him off our hands. He was on a monster contract already. Cutting our losses is not an option and we certainly can't afford for him to be a second choice. That's one area I think Saints falter. If a player comes in, does ok, but not great, we don't move them on. Classie is a case in point. Maybe he will come good this season and I will look like a fool, again, but he has done nothing since he was here and we should be replacing him with better, but we are unwilling and/or unable to do that. He will be here the length of his contract, as will Gardos.

Edited by Chez

Sorry Chez, but perhaps you missed this one.......

He stuck his arms out and ball went to hand, which was slightly fortune, but very good keeping. I guess it's a great save, all be it two season's ago now, and it's foolish of me to try and argue otherwise. He does that well, but other types of saves he does less well. He did almost none of that last season, so hopefully the good positioning/fortune will return.

I certainly did like to stick up for Hoiveld against the tide. Returning to Forester, the question is could we do better and importantly who would take him off our hands. He was on a monster contract already. Cutting our losses is not an option and we certainly can't afford for him to be a second choice. That's one area I think Saints falter. If a player comes i, does alright, but not super great we don't move them on. Classie is a case in point. Maybe he will come good this season and I will look like a fool, again, but he has done nothing since he was here and we should be replacing him with better, but we are unwilling and/or unable to do that. He will be here the length of his contract, as will Gardos.

Re: Clasie, it depends if he's rated by the new manager or not. Certainly was out of favour with the previous. LeG seemed to be hinting that Clasie might have a different role in a new formation in return for improving his stamina. With FF, need to get the defensive screen back to near the standard it was, De Gea would be exposed last season let alone FF. Towards the end of the season Fraser looked fitter and was coming off his line better. Romeu is covering a stupid amount of ground in midfield and urgent priority to sign quality help/partner.

I certainly did like to stick up for Hoiveld against the tide. Returning to Forster, the question is could we do better and importantly who would take him off our hands. He was on a monster contract already. Cutting our losses is not an option and we certainly can't afford for him to be a second choice. That's one area I think Saints falter. If a player comes in, does ok, but not great, we don't move them on. Classie is a case in point. Maybe he will come good this season and I will look like a fool, again, but he has done nothing since he was here and we should be replacing him with better, but we are unwilling and/or unable to do that. He will be here the length of his contract, as will Gardos.

With you on Hooiveld, Fonte looked no better in our first season back up. Never got the chance to see him play between Bertrand, Forster, Virgil and Wanyama, rather than Kelvin, Fox, Fonte and JWP

I didn't realise how bad Jones was until I rewatched some games from that era. Good shot stopper but everything else was awful

What we could afford at the time though. Similar to Kelvin in some respects. Niemi was quality but didn't dislodge Jones straight away. In fact, remember Wales v Finland just after Antti signed, was a save festival. A bit like Flowers v Southall in an end of season 0-0 in the early 90s with some saves that were bordering on arrogance they were that good.

I didn't realise how bad Jones was until I rewatched some games from that era. Good shot stopper but everything else was awful

Thanks for the heads up. Went and watched some vids of Niemi and Shilton. Seems shameful to put FF in the same sentence, tbh. Was interesting to see how many long shots there were against Shilton; wonder how we'd do if we did that more often (and on target).

id agree with that. More worldies, but both offering the odd unthinkable howler.

I think that's a bit unfair on Forster. He doesn't make unbelievable howlers like AB does. He's actually pretty consistent, but consistently average. Boruc actually saves stuff you're convinced is in. His kicking is far far superior, he talks and organises more & actually makes saves.

I think that's a bit unfair on Forster. He doesn't make unbelievable howlers like AB does. He's actually pretty consistent, but consistently average. Boruc actually saves stuff you're convinced is in. His kicking is far far superior, he talks and organises more & actually makes saves.

How many absolute howlers did Boruc make for us? Arsenal away? Nothing else immediately comes to mind, though I'm sure there are examples. Forster's errors at Palace and Villa were pretty atrocious and on a par.

How many absolute howlers did Boruc make for us? Arsenal away? Nothing else immediately comes to mind, though I'm sure there are examples. Forster's errors at Palace and Villa were pretty atrocious and on a par.

Not for us so much, but his career is littered with them. He's made 2 or 3 for Boscombe. I think he's a better keeper, & Koeman made a mistake binning him. But some managers prefer knowing what they're getting, rather than have puddled blokes like Boruc

A fair few of us have been saying we need a new keeper for a while instead of that big lump who flatters to deceive. This will come back again and again until it's fixed.

Forster gets preferencial treatment because he's English. If he was foreign he'd be out already instead of getting a contract extension. Has no competition, guaranteed starting spot, super long contract so no need to improve. Club F'd up.

Edited by Ultimatt

Good news. He's a good keeper and I am sure he will want to kick on and improve on last year's efforts.

Always tough being a keeper, problem is you will always be remembered for the cock-ups or mistakes, much more so than any other position on the field. Arguably even tougher nowadays with the continued expansion of televised football and social media.

He's not quite at the brilliance of Niemi at his peak, but I would put him not far behind.

Thats an unbelievable post, it really is.

FF is probably one of the worst keeper technically that has played for us. He has the odd good game like Arsenal, good shot stopper people will say, all goalies are good shot stoppers, that's their job!

The difference is when they come out and dominate their area and their defence etc. Their positioning as well.

Pits no comincidence that the loss of VVD exposed Forster last season, which would suggest how well he has been protected over the last couple of seasons.

Frankly uts it's an amazing decision by the club. God, if he was any good we would have sold him by now.

Was at the game (though the goal was at the other end). It was a genuine fluke.

It was, but Borucs overly casual style contributed. I'd still take him over Forster. Bournemouth have upgraded, which is exactly what we should have tried to do. Forster is not bad. Nor are any of the players we have, but a team generating the income do should have two top notch players in every position. All that money means there are no reasons to settle for second best anywhere.

Edited by Chez
S

Wow some really clueless people in here that know very little about keeping, have to laugh at some of the completely stupid comments being made. Granted he didn't have his best season last year but he's a quality keeper and we'd need like £30 million to find a better one.

Personally I trust the club and all the managers that have picked him.

I like Forster, I think we could do a lot worse. But for those that don't agree, signing a new 5 year deal is the best indication yet that he's on his way out very soon.

He'll be off next summer for sure either way. Gets back to his best and puts in a fantastic season? Sell him to Liverpool for £30million. Is ****ing awful and makes mistakes left right and centre? Sell him to a newly promoted side for £10million and get a replacement in. Win win for me, personally.

He'll be off next summer for sure either way. Gets back to his best and puts in a fantastic season? Sell him to Liverpool for £30million. Is ****ing awful and makes mistakes left right and centre? Sell him to a newly promoted side for £10million and get a replacement in. Win win for me, personally.

How is it a win if he plays badly and presumably concedes goals this season? You seem to have fallen into the trap of thinking that all that matters is the end of year financial results. I am the first to suggest we need to be financially prudent, but shouldn't the first question be, what would make us better and the second, can we afford it?

Can we find a better centre midfield than Classie? Can we reshape (sell) our squad to afford that player?

Wow some really clueless people in here that know very little about keeping, have to laugh at some of the completely stupid comments being made. Granted he didn't have his best season last year but he's a quality keeper and we'd need like £30 million to find a better one.

Not 'clueless' at all actually.....Odd thing to say given how poor Forster I undoubtedly was last year.

Good question. Think it just a 6 month contract, wasn't it? Bit like the Cacares one. But no comment from the club either way. Is he still around?

He was with us on loan, unlike Caceres. His loan ended, went back to Nice and now he has been loaned to Chateuaroux.

Let's have a look at his saved to shots ratio.

Let's also have a look at all the highlights of his **** ups since he's been here, of which there have been many too.

You don't need to spend 30m to find a decent GK and one that exceeds Forsters terrible level of competency. Dan Bentley at Brentford, there you go... 5m tops.