Forster - new 5 year deal...

mcbendy

Not sure why this was deemed necessary with 4 years left but hey ho.

Anyone who thinks FF is a liability clearly has memory issues when it comes to Kelvin and Gazza. He may have the odd mistake in him but unlike the others I don't evacuate my bowels whenever the ball goes back to him.

Yeah but that's like saying we should be happy to play Targett LB because he's better than Danny Fox.

Pretty happy that saints have England's 3/4 choice keeper. If McCarthy gets fit gk is a position I'm happy with.

Yes he didn't have his best season but before that he'd been good, especially coming off the back of a serious injury.

no doubt got a lot to prove to ensure he gets to World Cup too.

If ever a player had such a two sided game. He either rocks it or faffs it. He has made many superb saves and kept us in a fair few games. Then there's the other side where he falters regularly. He said himself that he was tish this season. He is certainly better than last season.

Not convinced by this one to be honest, didn't have the greatest season last year. Just doesn't command his box, gambles and stays on his line. I just wish he would come for the ball more and at least affect the play. A goalkeeper of his size should be clearing a lot more out, before the ball drops.

Perhaps next season will be better for him, I hope so.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

But just as when you posted this last time, his shots to saves ratio suggested that he did in fact have a terrible season. By the same token, those stats also don't tell the whole story, but they do support more what I saw with my own eyes. He did go on a particularly bad run where he failed to make any saves and was questionable for a lot of goals.

He's so slow to get down, which is perhaps understandable for a big guy, but surely on the flip side someone of his size should offer MORE in terms of coming out for crosses, commanding his area etc which he, frankly, does not do at all well.

Spot on. Should have saved both Zlatan goals in final. He is a poor Joe Hart imo

He was playing most of the season with an injury, is that correct? Hopefully he'll be back to his best this season, because he was below par for much of last season.

Yes; played most of the season with a hip injury which prevented him pushing off on one leg with as much power as usual and also meant he struggled to get down. Without him playing through the injury and pain last season our options would have been absolutely dire so don't really get all the stick he is getting. He is a very good keeper.

Davinson Sanchez, Joel Veltman are the two from Ajax who I remember being linked to in the past.

But initially i thought this thread was a bump from last year, odd to give him yet another contract.

If it is Sanchez then it's bye bye VVD.

Or hello to the best (and possibly largest) CB partnership in the Prem?

Would love to say that we would have those two, Stephens, Yoshida and Bednarek as our centre-back options next year (time for Gardos to go), but it isn't very likely.

Or hello to the best (and possibly largest) CB partnership in the Prem?

Van Dijk and Sanchez as our CB partnership, with Bertrand and Cedric at the left and right, would be a nightmare for all opposition. Forster would have very little to do and could have games not having to make a single save.

The chance of having Van Dijk and Sanchez sadly is next to zero.

Yes; played most of the season with a hip injury which prevented him pushing off on one leg with as much power as usual and also meant he struggled to get down. Without him playing through the injury and pain last season our options would have been absolutely dire so don't really get all the stick he is getting. He is a very good keeper.

Source?

A tad surprised he has signed a new deal as I had heard he was likely to leave this summer, but his injury and subsequent poor form meant that went out of the window.

Perhaps the market going up like it has means that whatever was in the previous contract was needed to be removed in case his form reverts back to normal.

Impeccable.

Compelling lol. Unusual that something like this didn't leak out if that were the case.

Strange, given his performances throughout the season that we didn't give someone else a go. Not that we we blessed in that position but a two-legged average 'keeper would have often performed better than he did on many occasions.

Don't be stupid. He had no chance with their third.

Straight at him. A top draw keeper would have saves it for sure.

Forster has had the luxury of wanyama and Morgan shielding him making him look better than he really was. Romeu and a decent partner in the middle can make him look half decent again.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Van Dijk and Sanchez as our CB partnership, with Bertrand and Cedric at the left and right, would be a nightmare for all opposition. Forster would have very little to do and could have games not having to make a single save.

The chance of having Van Dijk and Sanchez sadly is next to zero.

We'd just have to hope he doesn't score any own goals for the national team.

Compelling lol. Unusual that something like this didn't leak out if that were the case.

Strange, given his performances throughout the season that we didn't give someone else a go. Not that we we blessed in that position but a two-legged average 'keeper would have often performed better than he did on many occasions.

There were times last season when you could see he was struggling. Maybe if McCarthy was fit he would have played. Makes you wonder what the point of "one year extension" Taylor is though!

Forster has had the luxury of wanyama and Morgan shielding him making him look better than he really was. Romeu and a decent partner in the middle can make him look half decent again.

The moat he had on the team when he came back from injury tells you how highly his colleagues regard him. Strange that so many in here do not see what he offers, only what he does not. In truth, all players have their strengths and weaknesses.

There were times last season when you could see he was struggling. Maybe if McCarthy was fit he would have played. Makes you wonder what the point of "one year extension" Taylor is though!

I think it Taylor is a year so Lewis can come back next year from his loan and replace him

Plenty better out there. Forget clean sheets, look at saves made. When do you ever think " how did he save that". If it's on target, it's a high % chance it's in. How many points has he won us since he's been here, not many. Can count his great games on one finger, Arsenal away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liverpool away too in the 0-0 draw...

As I said earlier a Columbian with no internationals wouldn't get a work permit...wluld we?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

forgive my ignorance, but how did he get one to play in Holland or do they have less stringent rules?

An unnecessary extension for one of our weakest links in the side is obviously a cause for concern. We're either planning for a relegation scrap this coming season or a promotion push in 2018/19, so at least we're forward thinking which Les and the board do deserve credit for to be fair.

Good question. You'd think the rules would be the same since England and Holland are both EU countries (for now).

I guess eu countries must be able to set different criteria for those coming from outside the Euro. Either way, he is a tremendous player from what I saw, but I can't see him giving up CL football for Saints, although no doubt we can boost his wages should we choose to.

absoluteoy, if Forster was injured but Taylor was still deemed not good enough to replace him, then why have him on the books.

New contracts like these, where the player gets a big old wage rise for one more year are not things to overly celebrate IMO.

absoluteoy, if Forster was injured but Taylor was still deemed not good enough to replace him, then why have him on the books.

New contracts like these, where the player gets a big old wage rise for one more year are not things to overly celebrate IMO.

Agreed look at the FA Cup game to crucify poor Lewis with that defence was a disgrace.

I have never understood this signing surely it would have been better getting someone you have faith in playing?

Forster deal makes no sense surely we should be using that money better?

Good question. You'd think the rules would be the same since England and Holland are both EU countries (for now).

http://www.reevaldo.com/story/2016/9/15/football-work-permit-premier-league-fa-foreign-players this may help he may get the points on games played and age and ranking That is if it's him.

Then you know nothing about football. It wasn't 'straight at him'. It flew past him at 50mph or more, over 70 ft/s. Human reaction times are such that it was past him before he could begin to move his arms. In order to make a save from that distance you have to anticipate the direction of the ball which is possible to some extent with a swing of the leg but a header can go in any direction and is not predictable. The only way that such headers are 'saved' is if they actually hit the keeper.

As always with a news story about any of our players, sadly, the usual suspects are quick with their predictable slagging off of the player, the Assistant Chairman or the coaching staff. It's not just opinion, to which people are entitled but how some seem to think they are better informed than the decision makers in the club and in the England set-up. Others on here are pleased when a key member of the squad shows the commitment that is evident in Fraser's quote. We are lucky to have him and it's a good move by Les Reed to increase Fraser's value by the extra year on his deal.

Good news. He's a good keeper and I am sure he will want to kick on and improve on last year's efforts.

Always tough being a keeper, problem is you will always be remembered for the cock-ups or mistakes, much more so than any other position on the field. Arguably even tougher nowadays with the continued expansion of televised football and social media.

He's not quite at the brilliance of Niemi at his peak, but I would put him not far behind.

Forster gave a fairly glowing reference of MoPo - maybe that had something to do with him extending.

"I think he has been awesome, his whole demeanour and the sessions he puts on, he knows exactly how he wants us to play and how he wants the team to work and how he wants individuals to work within the dressing room. He's been fantastic, a real breath of fresh air and something the lads have really brought into and are looking to move forward."

Forster gave a fairly glowing reference of MoPo - maybe that had something to do with him extending.

"I think he has been awesome, his whole demeanour and the sessions he puts on, he knows exactly how he wants us to play and how he wants the team to work and how he wants individuals to work within the dressing room. He's been fantastic, a real breath of fresh air and something the lads have really brought into and are looking to move forward."

That's good to hear. Though I think we should all just stick to Pellegrino to avoid any confusion...

A tad surprised he has signed a new deal as I had heard he was likely to leave this summer, but his injury and subsequent poor form meant that went out of the window.

Perhaps the market going up like it has means that whatever was in the previous contract was needed to be removed in case his form reverts back to normal.

He was, he didn't like Puel (do you think that shows in his interview :lol: ) and was one of those that wanted out.

I find him a very frustrating keeper. Sometimes I find myself thinking that he just doesn't save anything, then other times he'll have an amazing game (usually 2 or 3 a season), but they are generally shots that are straight at him.

I also look back at the season before last and the impact he had when he came back from injury.

He's not as bad as people make out and I'm not sure if we could do better, sensible to extend for a year as it'll add value to him, should we wish to sell.

Strange extension. Can't help but feel he wouldn't get such preferential treatment if he wasn't British. When he was signed he was told he was guaranteed to start and Boruc was shoved out and he hasn't had any competition for his spot since. Now he gets a contract extension on the back of an abysmal season by his standards? Where's the shot of him sipping a cup of tea by the pool because it seems like he can do that and still get rewarded.

He was, he didn't like Puel (do you think that shows in his interview :lol: ) and was one of those that wanted out.

I find him a very frustrating keeper. Sometimes I find myself thinking that he just doesn't save anything, then other times he'll have an amazing game (usually 2 or 3 a season), but they are generally shots that are straight at him.

I also look back at the season before last and the impact he had when he came back from injury.

He's not as bad as people make out and I'm not sure if we could do better, sensible to extend for a year as it'll add value to him, should we wish to sell.

Dissatisfaction with Puel in the squad keeps being heard from different sources. I even heard it from a good source in London who is a Spurs fan. Looks like the reason for the sacking is becoming clearer. Players like Forster work with a lot of different coaches through their career and are well placed to judge the effectiveness of a manager, so not only is this a reflection on Puel, it suggests Fraser is already content with Pellegrino.

Good news.

Always tough being a keeper, problem is you will always be remembered for the cock-ups or mistakes, much more so than any other position on the field.

He's not quite at the brilliance of Niemi at his peak, but I would put him not far behind.

I don't judge him on his mistakes. Everyone makes those. For me it's more about the lack of world class saves. The sort that you think are in, but somehow the keeper saves them. Low shots going into the corner that you get a nick onto the post or balls that look like they are almost past the keeper.

For Saints fans the name Niemi is synonymous with unbelievable saves. Forster offers a greater physical presence, but I don't think he is in the same class at all.

Interesting. One of the posters on Sotonions mentioned yesterday that a new defender was incoming, and FF was getting a new contract.

If we sign another centre back it would indicate VVD is as good as gone! Maybe Liverpool have bid £70m?