Jack Stephens

Tom28

I know today was just a pre season friendly but thought Stephens looked superb today in every single aspect of his game. He just seemed to pick up and improve upon where he left off last season. He seems to read the game quicker than everyone around him. Assuming we get a top quality starter to replace VVD (or keep VVD which is highly unlikely given what I've heard today), Stephens has to be the other first choice in my opinion. Wouldn't surprise me if he got an England call up this season and starts to get a lot of media hype.

I know today was just a pre season friendly but thought Stephens looked superb today in every single aspect of his game. He just seemed to pick up and improve upon where he left off last season. He seems to read the game quicker than everyone around him. Assuming we get a top quality starter to replace VVD (or keep VVD which is highly unlikely given what I've heard today), Stephens has to be the other first choice in my opinion. Wouldn't surprise me if he got an England call up this season and starts to get a lot of media hype.

He hit the ground running today & looked excellent.

Couple of lovely forward passes, plus looked cool & calm in possession.

Puel deserves credit for blooding him last season.

Ok, I'll bite....what have you heard today?!

He hit the ground running today & looked excellent.

Couple of lovely forward passes, plus looked cool & calm in possession.

Puel deserves credit for blooding him last season.

Puel...Credit?! What a whacky idea!

But yeah Stephens looked alright.

VVD has met personally with LR twice in the last two days (disclaimer: one of those could have been a phone call). Fairly amicable meetings by all accounts given the circumstances and the fact that they basically hate each other. LR apparently is open to the idea of selling VVD providing a) the offer meets our valuation (sorry, I don't know what that is) and b) the deal is done with at least three weeks of the transfer window remaining to give us enough time to get a top quality replacement. In light of VVd's stance, we have stepped up our monitoring of the CB targets on our list and starting informal discussions with clubs. LR and VVD discussed Liverpool; both parties recognise that selling him to Liverpool would be a hugely unpopular move with our fanbase, even though Saints believe they will get the most money from Liverpool. Apparently, VVD has softened a little and would consider moving to another top club besides Liverpool. He's totally hell bent on leaving though. Interesting development - apparently Chelsea have indicated to VVD's agent that they no longer have an interest. He was definitely talking to them a few months back but he picked Liverpool over them so perhaps understandable that they've moved on but when you consider they've lost Terry, Zouma and Ake, they are short at the position. As things stand, there are no bids for him at all but the feeling is that won't be the case for long now the news is out.

Sorry, nothing groundbreaking or solid today but seems the club are open to the idea of selling him privately, if not yet publicly.

VVD has met personally with LR twice in the last two days (disclaimer: one of those could have been a phone call). Fairly amicable meetings by all accounts given the circumstances and the fact that they basically hate each other. LR apparently is open to the idea of selling VVD providing a) the offer meets our valuation (sorry, I don't know what that is) and b) the deal is done with at least three weeks of the transfer window remaining to give us enough time to get a top quality replacement. In light of VVd's stance, we have stepped up our monitoring of the CB targets on our list and starting informal discussions with clubs. LR and VVD discussed Liverpool; both parties recognise that selling him to Liverpool would be a hugely unpopular move with our fanbase, even though Saints believe they will get the most money from Liverpool. Apparently, VVD has softened a little and would consider moving to another top club besides Liverpool. He's totally hell bent on leaving though. Interesting development - apparently Chelsea have indicated to VVD's agent that they no longer have an interest. He was definitely talking to them a few months back but he picked Liverpool over them so perhaps understandable that they've moved on but when you consider they've lost Terry, Zouma and Ake, they are short at the position. As things stand, there are no bids for him at all but the feeling is that won't be the case for long now the news is out.

Sorry, nothing groundbreaking or solid today but seems the club are open to the idea of selling him privately, if not yet publicly.

I still think you talk a load of old rubbish mate. No offence

We played a championship side and I fully expect him to look decent agaist them, he needs to this in the prem more regularly before I am convinced he's a starting CB for a team wanting to finish top 8.

**** me. He came in & got better & better, what more do you want. He can't do anymore than he's already done. What do you want, someone stepping out of the ressies and lookimg world class from day one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough coming on here with snippets, you obviously have some sort of contact.

But I cannot help but get incredibly suspicious when someone starts going into the level of detail you just did.

Don't get carried away.

**** me. He came in & got better & better, what more do you want. He can't do anymore than he's already done. What do you want, someone stepping out of the ressies and lookimg world class from day one

Never said that, I said I need more convicing before I rate him as highly as others do on this board.

He got better & better last season the more he played. If he continues his improvement, he'll be next pre season's transfer saga. Yes, credit to Puel for playing him, the majority on here didn't want him to.

It's great to see him developing so well. If you mean the majority wanted a more experienced player to come in to replace Fonte then you are probably right but once the options became either Jack or Caceres then I think the majority could see no sense in playing the later.

Looking forward to watching his progression next season as I think that he, McQueen and Sam will all get plenty of game time next season. I agree with those that would like to see him alongside Oriel. Still think that Puel and Yoshida have really helped him, that and Less's gamble. None of our big buys have paid back but a fair few of the others have. The turn over is getting a bit quick for my liking. I would prefer at least a three year cycle of a year getting settled and improving, a year shocking the league and a year showing respect. Additional years are acceptable.

Cheers for that - Makes sense to me ......unfortunately.

*thumb up*

I again, for the 2nd time, back this poster.

Cheers but Les Reed has to walk if VvD signs for Liverpool. It will be yet another example of him talking utter **** to Saints fans.

He got better & better last season the more he played. If he continues his improvement, he'll be next pre season's transfer saga. Yes, credit to Puel for playing him, the majority on here didn't want him to.

Yes including you who said you can't have 'nippers' as CB I recall.

I still think you talk a load of old rubbish mate. No offence

You cynic.

You're obviously forgetting the brilliant ITK scoops of our signing of Danny Ings and Clyne's definite sale to Arsenal.

And the Saints Alan Curbishley glory years must have completely past you by.

This info is clearly right up there in credibility, just below the the bloke down the pub.

So basically we will be starting the season with a sub standard defence. Absolutely ridiculous. Wish the transfer window would close just before season starts to force clubs get players in before then.

Little different from what I've been told but by the looks of the detail you've gone too, you have a better source than me.

You cynic.

You're obviously forgetting the brilliant ITK scoops of our signing of Danny Ings and Clyne's definite sale to Arsenal.

And the Saints Alan Curbishley glory years must have completely past you by.

This info is clearly right up there in credibility, just below the the bloke down the pub.

Here's an idea. When you see one of my posts, don't read it. Simple!

It was worrying that Stephens looked lightyears ahead of Bednarek. I like Jack but he's not a top 8 CB just yet and it showed how far away our only new recruit is from Prem quality. We will get murdered if we play Bednarek at the moment.

It was worrying that Stephens looked lightyears ahead of Bednarek. I like Jack but he's not a top 8 CB just yet and it showed how far away our only new recruit is from Prem quality. We will get murdered if we play Bednarek at the moment.

Bednarek hasnt been bought as a first team regular this season though has he ? He will likely play some U23 games then go out on loan. Considering he only played less than 50 games for his Polish club side he hasnt come here for Prem League football just yet.

Cheers but Les Reed has to walk if VvD signs for Liverpool. It will be yet another example of him talking utter **** to Saints fans.

I am pretty sure we had some indication from another reliable source on here, that we were asking for something like £70m, all paid up front, no add-ons, before we would discuss a transfer.

I have said before that if VVD stays whether he'd be an option next to Romeu? Could see him thriving there.

IMO he has not got the quickness of thought for that position.

He has improved a lot, and there's not a lot to choose between him and Yoshida in the pecking order.

But he does need at least a season with a good partner. I thought that a season with VvD would do him well, but alas!

Against big physical strikers, he still has problems, particularly in the air.

He really struggled against Carrol, Ibrahimovic, and Deeney of Watford last season

As for England call up..no way..not yet

And Puel can take no credit for bringing through, he had no other option, you might as well give more credit to Ratboy Vardy for giving him his chance!

I wouldn't feel confident of a Stephens/Yoshida duo for this season we really need a good quality central defender in this window, to me, this is our absolute number one priority

I really dont understand you guys sometimes ......how many of you watched the Brentford game in full ? Firstly its a pre season the result to an extent is irrelevant.

Jack Stephens for me was the stand out player on the pitch , his performance was VVD like calm and assured , he also distributed the ball faultlessly for the half he was on .

He is now and will be much better than Yoshida by miles , and dont forget the club rate Alfie Jones potential higher than Jacks .

Sell VVD dont care anymore ........buy a DM a good one to sit alongside OR (who was superb yesterday when he was on ) and we are sorted .

Jack Stephens will the first pick CB this season alongside who dunno

I really dont understand you guys sometimes ......how many of you watched the Brentford game in full ? Firstly its a pre season the result to an extent is irrelevant.

Jack Stephens for me was the stand out player on the pitch , his performance was VVD like calm and assured , he also distributed the ball faultlessly for the half he was on .

He is now and will be much better than Yoshida by miles , and dont forget the club rate Alfie Jones potential higher than Jacks .

Sell VVD dont care anymore ........buy a DM a good one to sit alongside OR (who was superb yesterday when he was on ) and we are sorted .

Jack Stephens will the first pick CB this season alongside who dunno

So on one hand you are saying it's only a pre season friendly and the result etc is irrelevant which is correct of course. Then on the other hand you are basing on that performance the confidence that Stephens is good enough and will be first choice this season ?

Dont get me wrong, I don't dislike Stephens but he showed a fair degree of inexperience at key moments last season and still has plenty to learn. He isn't particularly dominant in the air either. I'm sorry but I still see him as back up and not the replacement for Fonte and nowhere near replacement for VVD.

If we are happy with Stephens as a first choice player then we are going to be happy with surviving in the league and little else,

So basically we will be starting the season with a sub standard defence. Absolutely ridiculous. Wish the transfer window would close just before season starts to force clubs get players in before then.

I have always felt the transfer window should close 31st July. It's crazy to have the season in play with the prospect of having key players leaving over the next month.

He has improved a lot, and there's not a lot to choose between him and Yoshida in the pecking order.

But he does need at least a season with a good partner. I thought that a season with VvD would do him well, but alas!

Against big physical strikers, he still has problems, particularly in the air.

He really struggled against Carrol, Ibrahimovic, and Deeney of Watford last season

And Puel can take no credit for bringing through, he had no other option, you might as well give more credit to Ratboy Vardy for giving him his chance!

I wouldn't feel confident of a Stephens/Yoshida duo for this season we really need a good quality central defender in this window, to me, this is our absolute number one priority

I think this is a good point, he's very composed, is a good quick decision maker, good at positioning, is good on the ball and is decently quick for a centre back, but he lacks physicality I could see him getting bullied by some players like Lukaku etc. Luckily though there aren't that many strikers like that around.

Plus we should remember Fonte got pretty easily bullied by Imbrahimovic.

Quite simply there are not many defenders around like VVD, there are a few brutes but they tend to me more like Morgan and Huth, bad on the ball, slow and have a tendency to struggle with quicker more agile players. Most big imposing centre-backs are basically big lumps. VVD is a big lump that is also quick and is good on the ball so he's basically the complete package. Hence the £70 million.

VVD is a unique talent. Stephens looked good and seems to be coming along well, he has a good future. I wouldn't have any reservations starting him, but would expect some growing pains especially early in the season. I think he'd be a solid, but unspectacular, cb this season, with his best days ahead of him.

And Puel can take no credit for bringing through, he had no other option

What a load of pony.

Who was that Caceres on the bench, a goal keeper?

After re-watching the Bentford game,and yesI know its a friendly only, I think Stephens/Yoshida will be fine once we get Bertrand and Cedric back there too. Most of the issues seemed to be because of Pied and Bednarek, who I thought were both pretty shaky.

After re-watching the Bentford game,and yesI know its a friendly only, I think Stephens/Yoshida will be fine once we get Bertrand and Cedric back there too. Most of the issues seemed to be because of Pied and Bednarek, who I thought were both pretty shaky.

Disagree while I'm perfectly happy with yoshi/Stephens alongside a top drawer centre back like van dijk, I don't particularly want to have a significant period with them as a pair when facing much better opposition.

Some proper mentalists on here - anyone who cannot see that Stephens is developing into a top, top CB is mad. As soon as he came on yesterday the whole back line improved - he was marshalling the defence, reading the game superbly and his passing was sublime. He has come on such a long way and really looking forward to seeing how much more he improves this year.

And Puel deserves a LOT of credit for playing him rather than taking the easy option and playing Caceres (as so many on here were pleading for).

That the manager has told the club he want's to keep Van Dijk and that Reed has told Van Dijk bluntly that he is not for sale. We'll see I suppose.

I don't see any contradiction. Not for sale never literally means "not for sale" but rather "we don't expect anyone to give us what it would take for us to let the player go". If we take what you heard, what Tom28 heard and what the poster with contacts high up at City and Stoke heard then, assuming it's all legit and not ITK wannabe BS, other clubs have less than 3 weeks to come up with at least 75m up front or Van Dijk stays, and even that might not be enough if that club is Liverpool, given that the club are well aware how hostile our fanbase are towards them.

When we sell him next season he'll bring the club a healthy profit, which is the primary aim for Southampton Football Club. There's only one reason we exist and that's to sell players at a huge profit, and we'll do just that with Jack so a big thumbs up to the club for pushing him into the first team and right into the shop window.

Didn't we just finish in the top 8 with Stephens as centre back for half the season, which would mean that he is by definition a top 8 centre back.

Considering how he seems to be developing so well, I see no reason why like other 24 year olds (Micheal Keane & Ben Gibson) he couldn't also get an England call up with continued regular playing time and consistent performances.

Didn't we just finish in the top 8 with Stephens as centre back for half the season, which would mean that he is by definition a top 8 centre back.

Considering how he seems to be developing so well, I see no reason why like other 24 year olds (Micheal Keane & Ben Gibson) he couldn't also get an England call up with continued regular playing time and consistent performances.

PL Games with VvD (21) = 29 points (I think) PL games without VvD (17) =17 points so we average 0.39 of a point more per game with VvD than without. Difference would have made up about 7 points over the 17 games he missed so we would have still been 8th I think. So like the participation of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, his presence actually changes nothing at the end of the day. League Cup might have been different though and that was a ticket to Europe that Utd didn't need anyway..

PL Games with VvD (21) = 29 points (I think) PL games without VvD (17) =17 points so we average 0.39 of a point more per game with VvD than without. Difference would have made up about 7 points over the 17 games he missed so we would have still been 8th I think. So like the participation of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, his presence actually changes nothing at the end of the day. League Cup might have been different though and that was a ticket to Europe that Utd didn't need anyway..

It was Everton's ticket to Europe and they did need it.

It was Everton's ticket to Europe and they did need it.

That's as maybe but we could have obtained it with VvD perhaps. Everton might have played a bit better at the end of the season if they didn't already have their ticket in their pocket. I believe Koeman spoke of it in an interview. Might have even ousted the Arse and I would have loved that.

Agreed

Maybe if we hadn't stopped scoring goals at the end of the season, this tally up would have looked much different and in reality given the chances we squandered f they had been converted might have made more people think that we should send VVD on his way with the message "don't let the door bang on your backside on the way out". Centre Backs aren't employed to score goals, when they do it's a bonus. Your equation on a Premier league rookie being in defence versus an established many years under his belt player, just shows the volume of rose fertiliser that is posted from some quarters on here.

Some proper mentalists on here - anyone who cannot see that Stephens is developing into a top, top CB is mad. As soon as he came on yesterday the whole back line improved - he was marshalling the defence, reading the game superbly and his passing was sublime. He has come on such a long way and really looking forward to seeing how much more he improves this year.

And Puel deserves a LOT of credit for playing him rather than taking the easy option and playing Caceres (as so many on here were pleading for).

100% this

Interestingly the club saw JS's potential very early on decided to hold him back from the PL limelight until he was a little older. They didn't want 'another Luke Shaw situation'. The club have played it very well with Jack IMO and they have given him time to not only mature as a person, but as a player as well.

Interested to have this expanded on a little if thats possible. I dont disbelieve you at all etc just am interested. From the outside it feels as though CB is a position you need to be slightly older/more experienced to be sensible to chuck in to prem level whereas at full back you can probably be excused a little less physicality and a few more small errors? Accordingly a couple of years on loan feels more appropriate for the position not just the person. What did they do wrong with Shaw? I thought he was just a cut above when younger than Jack and sensible to blood him. A year in the championship wouldve maybe kept him with us a year longer but not really changed alot? Feels as though the club are embracing loans more over the recent years (following the statement they dont believe in them) which is a great move in my opinion. Love to know more on what they feel they did wrong with Shaw and what the different approach is now (especially if another Shaw came along).