Josh Sims

benjii

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Anyone know if hes fit yet? Would be nice to see him get a chance! Although I can’t actually see MP dropping his beloved Tadic or Redmond.

He did co-comms for the U23's match a few weeks ago & wasn't even back running then.

So I'd imagine he's out for some time yet, still, as LeG indicated above.

• 3 weeks later...
Great news...exciting player….play him anytime over Redmond

I really like Sims, he would be a great addition to the bench once fully fit. I just don't get the Redmond hate, seriously the boy has ability and talent but has been suffering with lack of confidence this season. Hopefully the pep talk and his assist against Bournemouth will go along way to shutting the haters up, but I doubt it as they seem to have made their minds up! :rolleyes:

I just don't get the Redmond hate

You need to watch him play then ;)

Seriously though, aside from a 1/2 month purple patch last season when he was called up to the England squad he has been woeful. Can't shoot, can't dribble, dubious passing ability and his anticipation/movement off the ball is non-existant, not to mention his constant berating of team-mates for his own shortcomings.

I would love him to prove me wrong but let's be honest, it's not like he hasn't been given plenty of opportunities under both the previous and current managers.

Anyway great news about Sims, hopefully the injury hasn't affected him too much as I think he has a very bright future. Look forward to seeing him in matchday squads soon.

• 2 weeks later...
I basically agree with what you say except that, since his decision-making is poor, he is only potentially a decent player.

No - Sims has already shown skills and attributes that mark him as good enough to make an impact at Prem level. That moment at Anfield alone, with his run, speed and perfectly weighted assist, was something you can't fluke.

This isn't a particularly good video, but go to 1.48 and watch for about 10 seconds and you'll see a good execution of intelligent play and skill.

More of this from him would be much appreciated and as has been said, he's happy to use both feet although his right is clearly the stronger so he's not properly two-footed.

We need to keep ourselves well grounded as far as this young man is concerned. The Academy must be pretty desperate to produce a star to salvage what's left of its reputation but overhyping Sims and heaping impossible expectations on his young shoulders is not a very good idea at all. It may end only in tears if he fails to deliver which will not be fair on him at all. Young lads like Sims need to be protected and nurtured slowly not thrown in at the deep end without a life jacket.

We need to keep ourselves well grounded as far as this young man is concerned. The Academy must be pretty desperate to produce a star to salvage what's left of its reputation but overhyping Sims and heaping impossible expectations on his young shoulders is not a very good idea at all. It may end only in tears if he fails to deliver which will not be fair on him at all. Young lads like Sims need to be protected and nurtured slowly not thrown in at the deep end without a life jacket.

We need less ex-PE teachers and more ex-footballers involved in the Academy set-up.

Coaching badges are all well and good, but I would rather have experienced players with badges than experienced teachers.

The fact is that we have excellent facilities and are well set up to produce stars of the future, however it is not an exact science and inevitably you will have good periods and less good periods !

Our track record suggests that although there is nobody ready at this moment for a PL baptism, it will come again sometime soon !

Keep the faith, the grassroots are sprouting, just not right now !!

The main purpose of a good academy is to attract the best young players, they are not a magic factory that turn useless kids into Prem footballers. I expect it’s just a case of other clubs catching up or getting better than us. Or more likely the big 6 hoovering everyone up within miles.

Sims is a decent prospect but the way some are talking about him its like he is the next Walcott.

Personally would be suprised if he is a PL player in 5 years time, and don't think he will make a telling first team impact this season.

Sims is a decent prospect but the way some are talking about him its like he is the next Walcott.

Personally would be suprised if he is a PL player in 5 years time, and don't think he will make a telling first team impact this season.

He's young, hungry and from the Academy, so therefore 100% guaranteed to improve.

On a serious note, he is a decent player (quick and direct, something we currently lack) and if fit, would improve us this season (Same goes for Hesketh). Id have them both over Redmond every day of the week.

My only worry is if he will be physically up to the demands of the PL - only time will tell.

I doubt he is going to make it now. Looking back, Steve Moran was banging in the goals at his age.

He's had bad luck with his recent injury, but he plays in a position where the truly gifted tend to break through earlier than anywhere else on the pitch. I wouldn't write him off yet, but he'll need to start having a decisive influence on games by the end of this season/early next.