Will wood so far?

saints-til-i-die

Of the young players, Ive not heard of Will before. How has he done in the friendly matches so far?

I've seen him play centre back a few times in previous seasons, but Brentford was the first time I've seen him in defensive midfield. Did ok, showed the kind of enthusiasm all younger players should have for getting a go in the first team, but did make one error on the edge of the box that could have been a problem. Still, Bednarek got nowhere near his man for their first and looked like he'd been caught for pace (though Yoshida should have intercepted the cross near post as well), so it's not like Wood was on his own with the mistakes. There was another defensive mistake that caused a goal too, but I'm sure we've done that one to death by now. Awful, even given the wet conditions.

There was a moment towards the end of the game that caused me to raise my eyebrow, when he got burned for pace by one of Brentford's attackers who cut inside from the left flank. It led to decent a free-kick opportunity for the home side. I can't remember if he made the foul or if it was one of his teammates bailing him out.