Where is the ambition?

ally_uk

I wish we were like Huddersfield and Bournemouth

It's just an observation and should not be read as a negative.

There is a significant uplift in TV revenue this year, so there's no reason why we should not be spending more than we usually do (in terms of net spend). However, if takeover talks are at a critical stage, then any investment decisions (both in and out) could be potentially delayed.

Not sure many of our players would get into a top 6 team and play regularly do you.

We are a provincial club which is performing the best it has in the 55 years or so since I started following them despite not having that many top class players who I saw when I was younger.

Like Terry Paine Ron Davies Martin Chivers Peter Osgood Kevin Keegan Dave Watson Mark Wright Alan Ball Alan Shearer MLT .

But we were relatively better in the 80s than we are now. But in those days money was far less important than charisma.

Oh and you forgot David Armstrong, one of the most underated players that we've ever had.

So presume you believe the manager should have already assessed his squad given Les the positions he wants to improve on and we should already be buying Said players ?

He's been here what 3 weeks and has no experience of English football, well apart from playing UK teams in Europe I suppose and then not a lot. Needs time although he does have Black and Watson to help him. I'd bet some of his needs come from his old team as per usual.

And here lies the problem. We take ages to decide to sack puel, ages to appoint his replacement, and end up playing catch up. Every time we change manager it's the same. The black box and all that is pure b.s. and most of us know that. Else we won't always appoint (amazingly conveniently) an out of work manager. We'd just go get our man and get on with it as we've known for 2 years who the replacement is :)

And then against Swansea we'll be ****e, people will make the excuse it's early days blah Blah, manager only here 4 weeks blah blah and we will make excuses just like last season when we were dog ****e against Watford and Sunderland.

Happy claps can see no wrong, but us dragging our feet sets us back weeks every manager change. Amateurish.

Part of the reason I've not renewed my season ticket, plus back on shift so I'll pick and choose my games.

We were ****e at home last season, even more ultra defensive after vvd was injured still let goals in but couldn't score. If we play more openly with our monopace midfield, we'll get taken apart by decent sides. If vvd goes we will really struggle. We have to improve the first 11, ditch the squad fillers and sign quality. Else standing still is what happened after the fa cup final under Lowe.

Football is about winning and entertainment. It seems some on here just want to go along, sing he's one of our own to the opposition, and go home happy afterwards after their foreign stars whoop our asses. But hey, ours are homegrown, so we are better run than you, and even though we lost again, we will have the last laugh

Home grown? Don't care. Quality is what counts, good enough for first 11 is what counts. No more buying ones for the future, first team ready is required. I can see it, others can see it, I hope les and the management can see it.

Edited by vectraman

He's been here what 3 weeks and has no experience of English football, well apart from playing UK teams in Europe I suppose and then not a lot. Needs time although he does have Black and Watson to help him. I'd bet some of his needs come from his old team as per usual.

Apart from playing and being assistant at Liverpool under Rafa ?

And here lies the problem. We take ages to decide to sack puel, ages to appoint his replacement, and end up playing catch up. Every time we change manager it's the same. The black box and all that is pure b.s. and most of us know that. Else we won't always appoint (amazingly conveniently) an out of work manager. We'd just go get our man and get on with it as we've known for 2 years who the replacement is :)

And then against Swansea we'll be ****e, people will make the excuse it's early days blah Blah, manager only here 4 weeks blah blah and we will make excuses just like last season when we were dog ****e against Watford and Sunderland.

Happy claps can see no wrong, but us dragging our feet sets us back weeks every manager change. Amateurish.

Part of the reason I've not renewed my season ticket, plus back on shift so I'll pick and choose my games.

We were ****e at home last season, ultra defensive, yet after vvd was injured still let goals in but couldn't score. If we play more openly with our monopace midfield, we'll get taken apart by decent sides. If vvd goes we will really struggle. We have to improve the first 11, ditch the squad fillers and sign quality. Else standing still is what happened after the fa cup final under Lowe.

Football is about winning and entertainment. It seems some on here just want to go along, sing he's one of our own to the opposition, and go home happy afterwards after their foreign stars whoop our asses. But hey, ours are homegrown, so we are better run than you, and even though we lost again, we will have the last laugh

Home grown? Don't care. Quality is what counts, good enough for first 11 is what counts. No more buying ones for the future, first team ready is required. I can see it, others can see it, I hope les and the management can see it.

Spot on with all of this.......

Some people seem not understand the realities that the club has to live with. Mane, like other players who moved to top 4 clubs, was allowed to leave because he was not willing to extend his contract. He was sold for £34m, a price that would have reduced to zero if he had been allowed to run his contract down. That money was used to strengthen the squad which it could not have been if it had been spent on a single replacement. The days when owners could put massive sums into a club ended soon after the purchase of Man City. Financial Fair Play (there's a mis-description if there was one) requires a club's spending to be limited according to their earnings. This gives a huge advantage to clubs with world-wide sources of income. Until you see Southampton shirts on sale in airports alongside shirts of Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea etc, we will have no ability to compete for players worth £20m, £30m or more even if the owner were willing to put up the money.

Some people seem not understand the realities that the club has to live with. Mane, like other players who moved to top 4 clubs, was allowed to leave because he was not willing to extend his contract. He was sold for £34m, a price that would have reduced to zero if he had been allowed to run his contract down. That money was used to strengthen the squad which it could not have been if it had been spent on a single replacement. The days when owners could put massive sums into a club ended soon after the purchase of Man City. Financial Fair Play (there's a mis-description if there was one) requires a club's spending to be limited according to their earnings. This gives a huge advantage to clubs with world-wide sources of income. Until you see Southampton shirts on sale in airports alongside shirts of Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea etc, we will have no ability to compete for players worth £20m, £30m or more even if the owner were willing to put up the money.

I dont recall seeing bournemouth shirts for sale at foreign airports, yet they signed Ake for £20 million without selling anyone. So how could they do that then?

Yet we couldn't?

Our income has to be greater than theirs. Please explain this oddity?

I dont recall seeing bournemouth shirts for sale at foreign airports, yet they signed Ake for £20 million without selling anyone. So how could they do that then?

Yet we couldn't?

Our income has to be greater than theirs. Please explain this oddity?

They are bank rolled by a rich Russian

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We can compete in the £20 million bracket as other clubs like West Ham have done. You are right about income but FFP does not bar any owner investment. Moreover, we have already sold a player for £12 million this summer, we have huge TV money and bigger crowds and income than other clubs who have spent £30 million already.

Ambition is about moving forward and we are yet to do so this summer.

They are bank rolled by a rich Russian

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes they are.

But the professor said that is irrelevant and a rich owners wealth would have no bearing on things....wouldn't help us be able to sign anyone... mmm

I totally agree. Our business model is not going to turn us into a Top 4 club - All that talk is just spin from Les. The annual sale of our best players has become boring and we're just seen as a feeder club these days. Our signings feel like downgrades on the players they're replacing. Even the way we replaced Puel was comical and feels like we settled for second best.

How anybody can see this as progress is completely beyond me. Clubs like Bournemouth look to be showing more ambition than we do and that's very disappointing.

We were ****e at home last season, even more ultra defensive after vvd was injured still let goals in but couldn't score. If we play more openly with our monopace midfield, we'll get taken apart by decent sides. If vvd goes we will really struggle. We have to improve the first 11, ditch the squad fillers and sign quality. Else standing still is what happened after the fa cup final under Lowe.

Exactly.

I totally agree. Our business model is not going to turn us into a Top 4 club - All that talk is just spin from Les. The annual sale of our best players has become boring and we're just seen as a feeder club these days. Our signings feel like downgrades on the players they're replacing. Even the way we replaced Puel was comical and feels like we settled for second best.

How anybody can see this as progress is completely beyond me. Clubs like Bournemouth look to be showing more ambition than we do and that's very disappointing.

man-with-head-on-desk.jpg

The day Bournemouth start signing players as good as Mane and Van Dijk, then holding on to them when Liverpool are interested, is the day I'll start believing that.

The day Bournemouth start signing players as good as Mane and Van Dijk, then holding on to them when Liverpool are interested, is the day I'll start believing that.

Exactly.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

At least they are strengthening their team, at the moment we are going into the new season with a weaker squad than last year.

At least they are strengthening their team, at the moment we are going into the new season with a weaker squad than last year.

Yep. I look at some of our recent 'one for the future' purchases and all I can think is. One for the future where? In the Championship? As others have said, it's all very well buying for the future but that's not much use to you now. Particularly when we have so many average players.

I raised this subject a couple of months ago. We have a split fanbase. Some fans think we can buck the trend and just bring youth through and others think we need to invest in the market. Ambition is about improvement and growing. A youth system cannot do this alone as only a very few players make the grade at Premier level. No side thrives without transfer spending and we are no exception. We finished 8th but only a few points more than 16th and we sacked the manager. In my view therefore, there is plenty of room for external talent to join and help us grow. Wanting mediocrity after tasting 6th is a lack of ambition and some of our fans prefer this. Without investment we struggle as we did the year we went down. Pure and simple!

Even on this website of weird opinions, I do not remember anyone calling for mediocrity or preferring a 'lack of ambition' !

Sure, there are differing views on how we should be run etc.. but nobody is striving for failure or have I completely lost the plot ??

They've signed Ake and Begovic, both good signings. On top of that they've signed a proven striker who's performed at every club he's been at. Who cares about his age? If you get 2 seasons out of him and he gets 15 - 20 goals each season then that's great business. Add in the effect that a player like Defoe will have on the young strikers at the club and it's hard to see any issue with his signing.

They've signed Ake and Begovic, both good signings. On top of that they've signed a proven striker who's performed at every club he's been at. Who cares about his age? If you get 2 seasons out of him and he gets 15 - 20 goals each season then that's great business. Add in the effect that a player like Defoe will have on the young strikers at the club and it's hard to see any issue with his signing.

Good post that!.

Yep. I look at some of our recent 'one for the future' purchases and all I can think is. One for the future where? In the Championship? As others have said, it's all very well buying for the future but that's not much use to you now. Particularly when we have so many average players.
You've always been a 'kin idiot. Good to see you intend to carry on in the same manner.

Not really. We've lost a massively inconsistent, 3rd/4th choice striker, who was basically surplus to requirements anyway.

Basically, compared to the start of last year we are plus Stevens, Gabbi and Gallagher and minus Fonte and J Rod. All that without any European football to worry about.

Really? I can think of about 3 or 4 I don't want in the squad. The rest all have a role to play.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Defoe wont reach 15 goals in either of the next 2 seasons and that Gabbi will outscore him across the same period.

Talent isn't transfer through osmosis. What magic effect will he have on their other strikers, that Gabbi and Austin wont have on Gallagher?

Due to the fact that other teams in our league have strengthened, while we haven't. Ergo, weaker squad than last season in relative terms. HTH.

They've bought, that doesn't mean they've strengthened. Look at Leciester, haven't they now sold all the players they splashed out on last summer?

I would like a couple more in but it's still only July, there's another 3 weeks before any points are handed out.

And here lies the problem. We take ages to decide to sack puel, ages to appoint his replacement, and end up playing catch up. Every time we change manager it's the same. The black box and all that is pure b.s. and most of us know that. Else we won't always appoint (amazingly conveniently) an out of work manager. We'd just go get our man and get on with it as we've known for 2 years who the replacement is ... :)

It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose; but we sacked Puel on June 14th and signed Pellegrino on the 23rd. That's only 9 days. I wouldn't call that "ages".

Due to the fact that other teams in our league have strengthened, while we haven't. Ergo, weaker squad than last season in relative terms. HTH.

Tottenham haven't bought either.

Funny how the two youngest teams in the league haven't "strengthened" over the summer. It's almost as if young players might improve with age and good coaching.

Funny how the two youngest teams in the league haven't "strengthened" over the summer. It's almost as if young players might improve with age and good coaching.

Good point but you do fear Spurs will hold on to theirs while we can't.

Lallana, Chambers and Shaw for starters.

Except only one of those teams progressed last season, while the other went backwards.

The correlation between showing ambition and spending lots and lots and lots of money is flawed. Ambition can be shown in many other ways. I'd say the works done at Staplewood show an enormous amount of ambition, more so than a £30m signing would show me.

Seems like fans these days need to be appeased by ££££, and it's just wrong. It shouldn't be what it's about.The fact you've suggested Defoe says it all for me.

Quite. Staplewood was £40 million in round numbers. That's ambition.

Osvaldo was a statement of intent signing, and look how that went. £25 million + wasted in wages, pay off and fees. Gaston ate up massive money too. There's ambition right there, just a bad end result.

Buying the unknown Mane. Developing him and making a huge profit. Replacing him with the up and coming Redmond. Sure he's not yet as good as Mane was for us but the intent there was to be creative in the market and make some money.

Developing and retaining Stephens, and having the balls to ditch Fonte and to play Stephens over Caceres, that's ambition to grow and develop our own.

Ambition comes in different flavours. We've developed ourselves, by measured ambition, as an established top 8 club whilst developing one of the best training grounds in the world and growing some great talent along the way. I prefer that kind of ambition over and above casting our academy products to one side and buying in bus loads of eastern European players and Carlos kick a balls. Oh, then there is FFP.

Well put. But needless to say... you're still going to need your steel hat on in this place.

Quite. Staplewood was £40 million in round numbers. That's ambition.

Osvaldo was a statement of intent signing, and look how that went. £25 million + wasted in wages, pay off and fees. Gaston ate up massive money too. There's ambition right there, just a bad end result.

Buying the unknown Mane. Developing him and making a huge profit. Replacing him with the up and coming Redmond. Sure he's not yet as good as Mane was for us but the intent there was to be creative in the market and make some money.

Developing and retaining Stephens, and having the balls to ditch Fonte and to play Stephens over Caceres, that's ambition to grow and develop our own.

Ambition comes in different flavours. We've developed ourselves, by measured ambition, as an established top 8 club whilst developing one of the best training grounds in the world and growing some great talent along the way. I prefer that kind of ambition over and above casting our academy products to one side and buying in bus loads of eastern European players and Carlos kick a balls. Oh, then there is FFP.

Great post. I'd argue it is far more ambitious to try and build a top-half premier league club from the bottom up than it is to just spend big money on short-term, high-risk solutions with a limited life-span.

Ambition isn't a West Ham tombola spunkathon... but I do believe we're still clutching the purse strings tightly because of the uncertainty over the clubs ownership.

That said, a decent goalkeeper, a non-mental Virgil and defensive midfielder to play alongside Romeu should be a minimum requirement come 12th August.

You've always been a 'kin idiot. Good to see you intend to carry on in the same manner.

Oh give it a rest you ****ing tit. It's a forum for people to express their views and opinions. Just because you don't agree with them it doesn't make somebody a ****ing idiot. I don't agree with some of your posts but that doesn't make you a ****ing idiot.

Not really. We've lost a massively inconsistent, 3rd/4th choice striker, who was basically surplus to requirements anyway.

Basically, compared to the start of last year we are plus Stevens, Gabbi and Gallagher and minus Fonte and J Rod. All that without any European football to worry about.

Really? I can think of about 3 or 4 I don't want in the squad. The rest all have a role to play.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Defoe wont reach 15 goals in either of the next 2 seasons and that Gabbi will outscore him across the same period.

Talent isn't transfer through osmosis. What magic effect will he have on their other strikers, that Gabbi and Austin wont have on Gallagher?

I hope you're right, but you can't argue with Defoe's track record. He's a proven goal scorer at this level. As I said, if he gets 15-20 goals a season he's done a great job for them. For what it's worth, I'm sure Gabbi & Austin will have a positive effect on our younger players in the same way Defoe will for Bournemouth. I think he's a good signing for them. I wouldn't have been disappointed if he'd come to us, but I don't think we need him. All I'm saying is that I think they've made 2 good signings that are certainly better than the ones we've made... so far.

Do we need to go through it every season? I know it's not just Saints fans but christ, it's like everyone hits reset every summer and all lessons go out the window.

Firstly, what exactly are Saints supposed to do about the sales? They offer new contracts, want people to stay but ultimately if they're wanted by big clubs it becomes untenable. We can talk about letting them rot in the reserves but it just doesn't happen, they're valuable assets. We're in a unique position for being the best smaller club around, with a regular supply of quality players the top clubs want. That's because we recruit younger players on the way up, usually without PL experience. It has worked really well, means we get some outstanding players, make big profits and keep growing as a club. Yet many seem jealous of West Ham or Palace who waste fortunes, throw massive wages at players who've peaked and ultimately still finish below us.

I like our strategy, it's the only way forward for us and with transfer fees going as they are, it's even more sensible to give young players a chance to develop. Hopefully we'll hold onto some longer as we get better but ultimately Dortmund and Monaco can't. If you have players as good as Wanyama, VVD, even Clyne and Lallana, they're going to go eventually. We've reinvested, you have to ignore the accounts to pretend we're stockpiling money. We have a big squad, plenty of big earners, have given big new contracts, spent big on Boufal, Gabbiadini and reasonable fees on a few others. It all adds up. Just because we don't throw money around doesn't mean we won't go for the right player at the right time.

Every year fans assume every other club has improved, all their amazing signings. Yet every year clubs underperform, some signings don't work out. If your young squad is improving, gaining experience and you have a new manager and coaches you'll hoping will get more out of them, you aren't standing still by not signing players. I fully expect us to be a much better side this season. We came 8th despite being rubbish last year. I would expect Forster, Stephens, Hojbjerg, Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, Gabbiadini, Austin and Long to all be better this season. That would make a huge difference. We'll probably still come 8th, but if it's on 58 points and a lot more goals, so be it.

Yep, agree.

Do we need to go through it every season? I know it's not just Saints fans but christ, it's like everyone hits reset every summer and all lessons go out the window.

Firstly, what exactly are Saints supposed to do about the sales? They offer new contracts, want people to stay but ultimately if they're wanted by big clubs it becomes untenable. We can talk about letting them rot in the reserves but it just doesn't happen, they're valuable assets. We're in a unique position for being the best smaller club around, with a regular supply of quality players the top clubs want. That's because we recruit younger players on the way up, usually without PL experience. It has worked really well, means we get some outstanding players, make big profits and keep growing as a club. Yet many seem jealous of West Ham or Palace who waste fortunes, throw massive wages at players who've peaked and ultimately still finish below us.

I like our strategy, it's the only way forward for us and with transfer fees going as they are, it's even more sensible to give young players a chance to develop. Hopefully we'll hold onto some longer as we get better but ultimately Dortmund and Monaco can't. If you have players as good as Wanyama, VVD, even Clyne and Lallana, they're going to go eventually. We've reinvested, you have to ignore the accounts to pretend we're stockpiling money. We have a big squad, plenty of big earners, have given big new contracts, spent big on Boufal, Gabbiadini and reasonable fees on a few others. It all adds up. Just because we don't throw money around doesn't mean we won't go for the right player at the right time.

Every year fans assume every other club has improved, all their amazing signings. Yet every year clubs underperform, some signings don't work out. If your young squad is improving, gaining experience and you have a new manager and coaches you'll hoping will get more out of them, you aren't standing still by not signing players. I fully expect us to be a much better side this season. We came 8th despite being rubbish last year. I would expect Forster, Stephens, Hojbjerg, Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, Gabbiadini, Austin and Long to all be better this season. That would make a huge difference. We'll probably still come 8th, but if it's on 58 points and a lot more goals, so be it.

Good post sir

After the horrendous last eight games of the season and the team booed off the park at the last match the idea we can go into this season without strengthening the squad is ridiculous. The total silence as usual from the club is an insult to the fans.

Truly an insult Les and the rest will be gone we the fans are in for the long haul

The management team are unable to sell the club in the greatest boom football has ever seen

Neither it would appear can they fund the buying of players

Nor have they courtesy to engage with the fans in a meaningful way

These idiots will take us down eventually. The dogs in the street know you can't sell your best players year after year and survive

The season hasn't even started and many fans feels we could be in trouble

As a season ticket holder more football like last season and I won't renew ever again

Saints takes its fans for mugs.

After the horrendous last eight games of the season and the team booed off the park at the last match the idea we can go into this season without strengthening the squad is ridiculous. The total silence as usual from the club is an insult to the fans.

Truly an insult Les and the rest will be gone we the fans are in for the long haul

The management team are unable to sell the club in the greatest boom football has ever seen

Neither it would appear can they fund the buying of players

Nor have they courtesy to engage with the fans in a meaningful way

These idiots will take us down eventually. The dogs in the street know you can't sell your best players year after year and survive

The season hasn't even started and many fans feels we could be in trouble

As a season ticket holder more football like last season and I won't renew ever again

Saints takes its fans for mugs.

Nukes incoming !!

I am a betting man and I am willing to bet that he doesn't score 15 in the two seasons added together. He had his swansong season last season and fair play to him but from now on in the niggles get harder to throw off; Bournemouth aren't set up the way Sunderland were; etc etc.

Confuscious says:-

He who keeps looking backwards can never see where he is going...

Quite! Ambition then is not ambition now. How can somebody who has put the club up for sale have any ambition other than to get top dollar and move on. Once she's gone, she's gone!

Does anybody on here give a hoot about a company they used to work for once they've taken a new job elsewhere?

There really are some very gullible people on here... and its from them the mindless abuse will come inevitably

I hope you're right, but you can't argue with Defoe's track record. He's a proven goal scorer at this level. As I said, if he gets 15-20 goals a season he's done a great job for them. For what it's worth, I'm sure Gabbi & Austin will have a positive effect on our younger players in the same way Defoe will for Bournemouth. I think he's a good signing for them. I wouldn't have been disappointed if he'd come to us, but I don't think we need him. All I'm saying is that I think they've made 2 good signings that are certainly better than the ones we've made... so far.

They needed to make those signings though, they had one of the worst defences in the League. They already had Ake in the first half of last season and Begovic isn't much of an upgrade on Boruc, the latter is just getting old.

They don't have Yoshida, Bertrand, Virgil (sic), Cedric, Stephens and Forster. We're still far better in that department.

### Pragmatic post on Saintsweb Forum klaxon ###

Red-Siren-Animated.gif