Austin or Gabbi?

JoeShmoe

Assuming both are fit ... who starts the season as first choice, esp if we play with the 1 striker?

*need to know for my fantasy football team as much as anything!

So Austin = great finisher, poor mobility

Gabbi = more mobile, clever etc

Or will they both play?

Assuming both are fit ... who starts the season as first choice, esp if we play with the 1 striker?

*need to know for my fantasy football team as much as anything!

So Austin = great finisher, poor mobility

Gabbi = more mobile, clever etc

Or will they both play?

If we don't sign an out and out No.10 and as it currently stands, I would be tempted to play with both, in a formation something like the below:

---------OR-----------

-----JWP---SD-------

MG----------------SB

----------CA---------

Something very interesting would be Gabbi on the left, Austin in the middle and Redmond on the right in quite forward positions with Tadic behind.

However, I'd go with Austin over Gabbi for fantasy- little bit cheaper(if you're worried about that) and imo will start.

Interesting competition up front this season!

Something very interesting would be Gabbi on the left, Austin in the middle and Redmond on the right in quite forward positions with Tadic behind.

However, I'd go with Austin over Gabbi for fantasy- little bit cheaper(if you're worried about that) and imo will start.

Interesting competition up front this season!

Can Gabbi play wide ? Austin cant (we know from last year!)

---------OR-----------

-----JWP---SD-------

MG----------------SB

----------CA---------

Don't like it, there's nobody in there to create chances. I'd have at least one of Tadic and Redmond on the pitch, probably both from our current options.

From Gabbi's goals so far, I'd say he's most effective playing off the last man. His runs and movement are excellent.

- - - - OR - - - PEH - - - -

JWP - - - - - DT - - - - - NR

- - - - - - - MG - - - - - - -

IMO

If we don't sign an out and out No.10 and as it currently stands, I would be tempted to play with both, in a formation something like the below:

---------OR-----------

-----JWP---SD-------

MG----------------SB

----------CA---------

I like your idea of the attacking three, though Redmond and Tadic would be cranky about it, but a midfield pairing of Davis and JWP to support Romeu is likely to see us carved up even if VVD stays.

I'd like to play both, they are easily our best scorers. I think this may be the thinking in the 4-2-3-1. If Gabbi can play a wing on the 3 then both are on the field. I would also like to see a standard 4-4-2 with Austin and Gabbi. I think they can complement each other. Austin is better in the air and the box, Gabbi is more mobile and can stretch the defense. By the way, I think some here are overstating Austins "immobility". Sure he can't play outside or midfield, but given that he stays upfront he gets on the ball a lot. He is pretty good at holding up the ball and then dishing it, and does come up with some nice passes (like the cross to Long last game). I much prefer this to a guy who plays striker but just runs around a lot and never scores.

If forced to choose, I'd likely choose Austin to start. His finishing and ability to find the back of the net is something this team desperately needs. The guys has proven he can score 15-20 in the PL if put in the right setup.

Don't like it, there's nobody in there to create chances. I'd have at least one of Tadic and Redmond on the pitch, probably both from our current options.

From Gabbi's goals so far, I'd say he's most effective playing off the last man. His runs and movement are excellent.

IMO

That looks a bit imbalanced, don't think that IMO guy (whoever he is) needs to play so far wide.

I'd also say that so far I believe Mauricio has only used a bigger striker upfront in the 1, either Austin or Gallagher. Gabbi has played outside. This may be the way he sees that position, if he sticks with this formation.

In the end I think that we are fairly good at striker, especially with Long and Gallagher on the bench. We have much more pressing issues like CB and AM. Plus the fact is its a long season and people will get nicked up or tired, so I expect both to play quite a bit.

Don't like it, there's nobody in there to create chances...

If we persist in playing non-winger Ward-Prowse in a wide position, we'll persist in creating and scoring bugger all.

I'd like to play both, they are easily our best scorers. I think this may be the thinking in the 4-2-3-1. If Gabbi can play a wing on the 3 then both are on the field. I would also like to see a standard 4-4-2 with Austin and Gabbi. I think they can complement each other. Austin is better in the air and the box, Gabbi is more mobile and can stretch the defense. By the way, I think some here are overstating Austins "immobility". Sure he can't play outside or midfield, but given that he stays upfront he gets on the ball a lot. He is pretty good at holding up the ball and then dishing it, and does come up with some nice passes (like the cross to Long last game). I much prefer this to a guy who plays striker but just runs around a lot and never scores.

If forced to choose, I'd likely choose Austin to start. His finishing and ability to find the back of the net is something this team desperately needs. The guys has proven he can score 15-20 in the PL if put in the right setup.

Exactly. People make out he's just a big lump. I saw him last season chasing down defenders, having some nice touches and bringing other into play. He's also pretty good at getting that first yard on the defender, which is crucial in his position.

I like the idea of playing both, because I think both are good enough to start - if one were injured, I wouldn't be at all worried about the other playing - and if they both played it would probably be one of "meh" central midfielders that would be dropped.

Whether or not they can play together and get the team structure to fit is another question. Gabbiadini seems better at playing deeper AND playing on the shoulder, and we'd probably have to have our wide midfielders as slightly more defensive. That suddenly means putting Tadic, Redmond and Boufal into positions they're not naturally suited to.

If we're going to play an attacking 4231 at home (which seems to be the plan as far as anyone can tell) then I would favour this:

Gabbi-------Boufal-------Redmond/Tadic

--------------Austin---------------

Whilst Gabbi might be better centrally than out wide, we need players on the pitch who can take chances.

Obviously the supporting three can interchange during the match. Personally, though, I think we should be aiming to get Boufal on the ball in central positions as much as possible. I think Tadic is much better out wide than he is central and building the team around Tadic at number 10 would be a mistake.

If we want to play tighter away from home then you probably stick Davis or JWP in on the right or central and leave out Gabbi or Austin (probably start with Gabbi and leave Austin as a sub).

The only way you can really play both Gabbi and Austin as a front two is if you go 4-4-2 (including diamond variation) or 3-5-2 but then you probably leave out two of Redmond, Tadic and Boufal.

Rather play players in their proper positions where possible. Something along these lines especially at home vs a team who comes and sticks 11 behind the ball. Options to play Clasie alongside Romeu, JWP or Davis further forward, Austin to replace Gabbi.

-------Romeu JWP

Redmond Boufal Tadic

--------Gabbiadini

If we persist in playing non-winger Ward-Prowse in a wide position, we'll persist in creating and scoring bugger all.

His is a decent crosser and can link up well with Cedric on the overlap. If there's anywhere I think he fits, it's AMR and definitely not DM as some seem to be suggesting.

Incidentally why is Boufal in so many people's starting line up? I've seen little of him other than being a show pony with a crap attitude. A couple of screamers against dogsh*t opposition isn't enough to warrant a starting place.

His is a decent crosser and can link up well with Cedric on the overlap. If there's anywhere I think he fits, it's AMR and definitely not DM as some seem to be suggesting.

Incidentally why is Boufal in so many people's starting line up? I've seen little of him other than being a show pony with a crap attitude. A couple of screamers against dogsh*t opposition isn't enough to warrant a starting place.

I expect it's for what he might bring, what people are hoping/expecting from him. Having a player who can beat a man and drive at the opposition's defence is a valuable asset, as we saw with Mane. I agree that to date he hasn't shown enough though.

As for JWP, agree that DM is not his position. He's had a few decent games on the right, and think AMC could be his best position, but he's far from convinced me he deserves to be starting in either of them.

Tadic, PEH, and Boufal need to up their games from last season to get anywhere near the starting lineup.

And yes, both Austin and Gabbiadini gets the nod for me, with Gabba as the wide player or just behind Austin.

No more 'Puel like' isolated lone striker.

We need to show we are a threat

Does it have to be 4-2-3-1?

Would love to see a 4-4-1-1

Kinda like:

Cedric - CB - VVD - Bertrand

Tadic - Hoj - Romeu - Redmond

----------Gabi

----------------- Austin

CB = Stephens or Yoshi depending on form. Hoj can come out for Davo or JWP. Boufal can come in for Tad or Redmond. Long for Gabi. Galli for Austin Etc etc.

Edited by OttawaSaint

---------OR-----------

-----JWP---SD-------

MG----------------SB

----------CA---------

Something like this.

I also think the Brentford game was the poorer without JWP in midfield.

He had some of his best games in a Saints shirt last season on the right of a 4-2-3-1

Creating chances was not our major problem last year. Converting them was.

Kinda like:

----------Gabi

----------------- Austin

CB = Stephens or Yoshi depending on form. Hoj can come out for Davo or JWP. Boufal can come in for Tad or Redmond. Long for Gabi. Galli for Austin Etc etc.

This is what I would play at home but with boufal instead of Tadic except they'd be on left with Redmond on right

Would love for both to play together at times, if not worse case they will rotate them every few games and both will play 30 plus games should they both stay fit.

Austin and Gabba could be the new Lambo and Jay Rod combo that worked really well.

Kinda like:

----------Gabi

----------------- Austin

I like this idea, but push Tadic and Redmond forward and essentially you are playing the 4-2-3-1. Are they good enough and disciplined enough to play as midfielders rather than wingers? How will that affect our shape/options during the game? E.g. I think we'd miss Tadic's creativity were he not in the side, but if he's going to spend half the game in his own half, perhaps JWP should be there.

Don't get this at all.

A fit Austin all day long has to start.

How the team around him is arranged, to get a good balance of link up play, pace and creativity, is up for discussion.

My preference is for JWP, Romeu, Gabbiadini, Tadic and Redmond to start alongside Austin. I would drop this season Davis as a starter in favour of JWP.

I suppose it would be a 2-3-1 given that's what the team is used to. This:

--------Romeu----JWP----------

Redmond---Tadic---Gabbiadini

------------Austin---------------

Don't get this at all.

A fit Austin all day long has to start.

How the team around him is arranged, to get a good balance of link up play, pace and creativity, is up for discussion.

My preference is for JWP, Romeu, Gabbiadini, Tadic and Redmond to start alongside Austin. I would drop this season Davis as a starter in favour of JWP.

I suppose it would be a 2-3-1 given that's what the team is used to. This:

--------Romeu----JWP----------

Redmond---Tadic---Gabbiadini

------------Austin---------------

Tbh I don't think there's much between Austin and Gabbiadini in terms of pure finishing ability, they're both excellent at it - but I think Gabbiadini's general workrate makes him much more suitable overall, so I'd pick Gabbiadini if it was a straight choice between him and Austin for one spot.

Austin clearly doesn't enjoy working back and isn't particularly good at it, whilst Gabbiadini happily chases around and presses without looking uncomfortable and without raising questions whether he'll be able to get in the box at the end of it. Austin needs to be absolutely at the top of his game to appear ok with that requirement, and he was growing into it during last season.

I'd love to be able to say Gabbiadini is less injury prone too, but so far that's not the evidence we've had, as his layoff wasn't a contact injury. But if both of them are asked to work back as well as score goals, Austin also looks more likely to get injured doing that than Gabbiadini does.

All this means that if it comes to trying to fit both of them into a team, you'd stick Austin in the middle where his running is more likely to be 5 yard sprints to find room to stick the ball in the net, and Gabbiadini somewhere else in the final third making a nuisance of himself.

For games where we need a stronger midfield in front of the defenders, such as against the bigger teams, I'd play Hojbjerg alongside Romeu and JWP. And drop Redmond.

The problem you have then is the lack of pace on the counter - Redmond is an excellent outlet to stretch the opposition from a quick outlet ball (as is Long). Getting someone up for them to pass to so they're not shooting from daft positions or just running out of options is also part of the problem (Long to Sims was the most obvious success last season, not likely to be a regular occurrence).

I think that'll be a lot more difficult this season.

Attacking, pacey fullbacks and ball playing centre backs are the 'in thing'.

My guess is that means chances to outplay the opposition of stronger teams on pure pace is more limited that it was five years ago.

Unless you play them on the counter attack - but to do that we need excellent midfielders who can quickly take a touch and pass. Plus Southampton like to have the ball which doesn't help as there's not as much space in behind.

Playing counter attacking football wasn't our style last season at least, bar a few games. Wouldn't you say?

Not sure why we're not looking at a 3 at the back system in that with Cedric and Bertrand (at the moment!) we have some of the best wide options in the league, also means Stephens can continue to play and develop and he's earned that opportunity.

...........3 at the back............

CEDRIC ROMEU PEH (or JWP) BERTRAND

........... GABBI .... REDMOND ........

................AUSTIN ...................

Rotations and bench available: JWP / TADIC / BOUFAL / DAVIS / (LONG, love him to bits but I can't see him getting a lot of pitch time this year if GABBI + AUSTIN keep fit and we want to keep Tadic and Boufal sweet too).

Basically keep all our players and we are a solid mid-table side, we don't have the extra games this year, we should be better prepared for league games and hopefully have fewer injuries. To break into the top 6/7 we would IMO need to add 2 or 3 'starters' and upgrade the keeper too. If the window closed yesterday I reckon we would finish 7-8-9 and get to one of the cup finals, plus ca change? Hopefully we will see a few more goals this season, particularly at home!

In terms of a fantasy footie team I wouldn't have Austin or Gabbi - too big a risk they'll be on the subs bench or get subbed until we know what the 1st XI is. Plus from last season saints defenders were much better fantasy points gainers than strikers/ creative players. For team selection equal goal scorers then it's toss up between Gabbi's movement vs Charlie's hold up play. That depends on formation and style of play.

Austin is a proven scorer and needs to be on the field. Gabbi and Redmond also have shown they can score, and have a lot of mobility, so they need to be out there too. Romeu for DM is a must. After that just fill in the pieces to support these guys. Who and where I don't really care, just set up whats best for the team.

Useless but fun article today comparing Austin to Gabbi. I hope they find a way to play them both together. One thing to note in this article is the theory that Austin has no mobility. The article points out that Gabbi is definitely more mobile away from goal, however Austin has good movement around the box and plays hold-up very well.

http://readsouthampton.com/2017/07/30/austin-v-gabbiadini-the-big-debate/

I'm sure we were told when Gabbi joined that he couldn't play through the middle, and was more suited to coming off the left. Obviously for us he has demonstrated he definitely can play through the middle, but would still be interesting to see him on the left of a three to cater for Charlie.

We looked so much better against St. Etienne when we went back to playing with just one up front. The lone striker has to be Gabbiadini if we want to play a pressing game. Save Austin for the latter stages of matches when everyone is to knackered to press already.

We looked so much better against St. Etienne when we went back to playing with just one up front. The lone striker has to be Gabbiadini if we want to play a pressing game. Save Austin for the latter stages of matches when everyone is to knackered to press already.

Is there any signs we do want to play a pressing game? In our pre-season games so far I wouldn't say we have seen a big increase in pressing. Little spells of it during games but not a high energy high press type of style through out.