Premier League at 25: best goal – Matt Le Tissier v Manchester United, 1996

John B

That should mean he has 3 or 4 more to go...!

Edit: Just read the article, very good, and captures the reasons why those early Premier League years will always be the best, and it clearly wasn't just because I was about 10 years old, when everything seems brilliant, especially with the benefit of nostalgia!

Edited by mrfahaji

I was behind the goal (level with the crossbar) in Milton Road end for that game. I can make out my Dad's bald dome (in the yellow jumper) in the photo used in the Guardian article. I'm sat to his left, aged 10, face obscured by the crossbar. Still the best game I've ever watched as a Saints fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was behind the goal (level with the crossbar) in Milton Road end for that game. I can make out my Dad's bald dome (in the yellow jumper) in the photo used in the Guardian article. I'm sat to his left, aged 10, face obscured by the crossbar. Still the best game I've ever watched as a Saints fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front row, right where the ball landed for me. If you watch the video I jump up just after everybody else as I was convinced it was hitting the crossbar

Just celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary where we listed best footie matches attended. This match plus the same fixture in the previous season (Man U changing shirts at half time!) were both in the top 5. However, I don't agree with the article that the PL was better in the early days - IMO the standard of football and players is much now than 20 years ago. eg I love Benali to bits but he wouldn't get near any current PL 1st team.

Strange choice. Great goal but it was a very slight deflection. Was right behind it and it took a slightly odd trajectory from the way he hit it. Still my favourite match ever though.

Nothing comes close to his goal at the Dell v Newcastle though. Never seen one similar since.

His goal vs liverpool I think it is.