Les Reed Doesn't Make £70 Million Pound Decisions

Gemmel

Regardless of whether VVD has or does move, the initial reaction and backlash has been aimed at Les Reed.

But the reality is that for a company valued at £210 million, he will not be the decision maker (or even an influencer if KL wants to sell) on a deal that represents a third of the total value of the club.

There will be those that quote his "quiet summer "no players leaving" etc.......... but if KL decides to cash in then his hands are tied and perhaps the lesson is to say nothing.

Regardless of whether VVD has or does move, the initial reaction and backlash has been aimed at Les Reed.

But the reality is that for a company valued at £210 million, he will not be the decision maker (or even an influencer if KL wants to sell) on a deal that represents a third of the total value of the club.

There will be those that quote his "quiet summer "no players leaving" etc.......... but if KL decides to cash in then his hands are tied and perhaps the lesson is to say nothing.

KL isn't even on the club board any more is she. So the order would have to come down from the parent company to the football company in that case.

I'm sceptical that VVD is now sold, but at the end of the day if he doesn't make decisions he shouldn't come out and say players are not going to be sold. Kruger also as they are influencing people buying s/ts on the strength of a full squad

KL isn't even on the club board any more is she. So the order would have to come down from the parent company to the football company in that case.

Of course the order will come from the parent company this is £70 million quid we are talking about! ....... but that's just semantics. It will come directly from KL.

I'm pretty sure he will be an influencer at the very least. If he says "don't sell, he is worth £80m at least" or "keep him for a year, we will get at least £65m for him next year" or "we simply can't replace him this year, we'd risk tumbling down the league if you sell him"....well, I think those sort of comments would influence KL.

Of course, ultimately, just like any company, the owner can do pretty much whatever they want. If she decides to offer Liverpool £10m to take VVD off our hands, that's her prerogative, I guess.

I'm pretty sure he will be an influencer at the very least. If he says "don't sell, he is worth £80m at least" or "keep him for a year, we will get at least £65m for him next year" or "we simply can't replace him this year, we'd risk tumbling down the league if you sell him"....well, I think those sort of comments would influence KL.

Of course, ultimately, just like any company, the owner can do pretty much whatever they want. If she decides to offer Liverpool £10m to take VVD off our hands, that's her prerogative, I guess.

Agreed - But given the takeover situation and the loan secured against her estate, it might be the perfect opportunity to pay everything off and still have the club up for sale. If and obviously a big if, that's her mind set and her decision Uncle Les won't have any say in the matter.

Les is in charge of everything. I genuinely believe he is empowered to run the club how he likes. Buy n sell who he likes. Kat takes very little interest from what i can tell.

He probably does the best he can while remaining sustainable.

I wouldn't think he had total control over transfers for a second. It is his field though and I'd imagine that he is listened to and regarded highly. The only reason that he gets a hard time is because he can't help himself when there's a camera and a mic. A grumpier, less obliging Less would be seen as a bit of a hero. He has had a massive influence in the coming and going of players and that has had a massive influence on where we are now, pretty solid as a club but on the edge of achieving more. I know the last twelve months have been a bit stagnant but the "Take Over/Finding a Buyer" must hold sway on decisions.

On the VD tip I don't think Less will be to blame in the slightest. Fk me it wouldn't surprise me if he went to a European club for a good price and ended up at lfc on loan for a year

Les is in charge of everything. I genuinely believe he is empowered to run the club how he likes. Buy n sell who he likes. Kat takes very little interest from what i can tell.

He probably does the best he can while remaining sustainable.

Just like Nic Cortese did, before he was fired?

I reckon we are worth closer to £400m than £200m

Players value alone will be above £200m in this market.

And no one would listen to the actual owner of the club on a major decision unless she is on each and every board of directors in the entire chain of ownership.

No...all loans were settled as far as I am aware by Marcus. £400mill is probably right...shocking when you think the club was bought for £12mill cash! Cash is the King everytime!

As of June 30, 2016, the club owed about 53 million pounds, but had almost 24 million pounds of cash.

Get real mate, Les Reed is directly controlling the clubs strategy. To say otherwise is to be a ******* ostrich...

As of June 30, 2016, the club owed about 53 million pounds, but had almost 24 million pounds of cash.

Thanks, that being so, I'd think £200m is a snip. As mentioned up thread, you could get much more than that by simply selling all the players and you'd still have a stadium, club, brand name etc.

I wouldn't read too much into that...all accounting smoke and mirrors. Who is the money owed to? One of her subsidiary companies? She is just way off the scale when it comes to personal wealth and influence. The empire has no doubt been steadily built up since the end of WW2. She has her advisers and experts and the question really is does she actually care enough beyond turning up on the odd Saturday afternoon? I think she probably views the club more as a sentiment as it was her late fathers favourite boy-toy.

I wouldn't read too much into that...all accounting smoke and mirrors. Who is the money owed to? One of her subsidiary companies? She is just way off the scale when it comes to personal wealth and influence. The empire has no doubt been steadily built up since the end of WW2. She has her advisers and experts and the question really is does she actually care enough beyond turning up on the odd Saturday afternoon? I think she probably views the club more as a sentiment as it was her late fathers favourite boy-toy.

Aside from the fact that you seem to be accusing the club of filing fraudulent accounts, you are gravely mistaken if you think the Liebherr's are one unified family in financial matters. Markus Liebherr removed himself from ownership in the family holding company in 1994. I assume he got money for doing that but here is no reason to think his daughter is connected back to that business. Admittedly, she is way off the scale when it comes to personal wealth but the typical person's standards, but current reports suggest that she is Mitt Romney rich, not Beyoncé and Jay Z rich.

As for whether she cares, all we can judge her by is her actions and her words and they both suggest that she does.

Aside from the fact that you seem to be accusing the club of filing fraudulent accounts, you are gravely mistaken if you think the Liebherr's are one unified family in financial matters. Markus Liebherr removed himself from ownership in the family holding company in 1994. I assume he got money for doing that but here is no reason to think his daughter is connected back to that business. Admittedly, she is way off the scale when it comes to personal wealth but the typical person's standards, but current reports suggest that she is Mitt Romney rich, not Beyoncé and Jay Z rich.

As for whether she cares, all we can judge her by is her actions and her words and they both suggest that she does.

Let me clear that up..by using the phrase "smoke and mirrors" I was not accusing or implying that the club were "filing fraudulent accounts". Far from it. If that gave anyone else that impression then I would would wish to catagorically retract that.

The point I was making was that if the figures as mentioned by yourself...looking at it simplistically...£53-£24 would state that the club is in the red to the tune of £29mill. Accounts are made up to 9 months after year end, and that would likely not reflect the enhanced current value of VVD. Similarly, looking at the period when the club went into administration, the debt figure was far less. What I am saying is, that the £53-£24mill figure, would not necessarily reflect a true assessment of where the club is at in terms of needing to sell VVD, and to stay on the original topic whether Les Reed actually has a say in that process. You are right in querying whether KL is on every board or not as that would have an implication on those matters. I think it goes without saying, if you want to narrow the question down to whether Les Reed makes £70mill decisions or not...he has pretty much exceeded all expectation in player trading...and I suspect the board acknowledge that. I am sure they will be asking the question as to if the club sell for that figure, what has he got up his sleeve vis a vis a replacement.

Depending on how the season ticket money is accounted for it is likely that the cash includes the season ticket money, and so does the liabilities. It could be that the liability is reduced after each match by that amount. Sales cannot be pre-booked, so the weekly sales will include a proportion of the season ticket money after each home game. It has already been stated that the owner has made loans to the company, nothing wrong with those showing up in the accounts.

Les Reed is part of the board, the board all have fiduciary duties for the company, so I would expect that he has a great say as the director of football, and as now as vice-chairman of football. No board of directors can let the owner make all the decisions, that is why you have a board to run the company.

Macquarie bank I think. Nothing to do with KL aND KL has nothing to do with LIEBHERR Group.

Yes it is Macquarie Bank, but is everything to do with KL - It is secured against her personal estate.

Maybe you have more in depth information than I do. All I've seen is the charge registered at companies house. a deed between Southampton football club limited and Macquarie bank limited. No personal guarantees that I've seen.

given that I reckon the football club comprises the lions share of her estate, I'd be nit picking if I disagreed with you.

Maybe you have more in depth information than I do. All I've seen is the charge registered at companies house. a deed between Southampton football club limited and Macquarie bank limited. No personal guarantees that I've seen.

given that I reckon the football club comprises the lions share of her estate, I'd be nit picking if I disagreed with you.

How can it be cheaper to go to a Bank for finance when the family are loaded? I thought they were all so flush that they would never need to borrow a pfennig from any Bank? She inherited all of Markus' Mali group...where the hell has all the money gone?

How can it be cheaper to go to a Bank for finance when the family are loaded? I thought they were all so flush that they would never need to borrow a pfennig from any Bank? She inherited all of Markus' Mali group...where the hell has all the money gone?

Do you really think she inherited a bit pot of gold?

All loans have to be at a commercial rate.

Do you really think she inherited a bit pot of gold?

All loans have to be at a commercial rate.

Basically...yes! I know they gave shares back etc and all that is in the public domain, but the Liebherr Group in Germany and Switzerland are major players in the German economy, along with Bosch...BMW..Siemens etc. All I am saying is...that its coming to something when a Liebherr has to go to a Bank or Hedge Fund for money...just an opinion...observation.