What Makes A Captain?

paulwantsapint

With all the VVD uncertainty & last seasons Fonte problems what type of player makes a captain

Mr reliable vocal senior pro

Jimmy Case

Best player

MLT Lambert

Hard working covers every blade of grass

Steven Davies

Other qualities?

At times last season seemed Steven Davies was only in team because he was captain & there were no other options

Romeu is definitely a captain in waiting.

Problem with that is when receiving our captains armband recent tradition seems to be that six months later you have to act like a total bell piece.

Lallana, Fonte and now Van Dijk

I don't want the curse to happen to Oriel

A captain should be someone who is respected by all players and who has influence inside the squad.

But it doesn't matter who wears the armband, that's most times just a ego thing. The real leader/captain gets chosen by natural selection in the dressing room and on the pitch and not because a manager says so.

if done properly the captain, like any other leader in any other team situation, should be the one who lives and breaths the ethos of the club and is an extension of the manager. They will have strong 121 relationships with the rest of the squad and puts theirs and the teams needs ahead of their own. They lead by example, earn respect and ultimately in the heat of battle its the person the rest of the team will do anything for.

VVD has proven himself not be the right person. Romeu maybe but I would say JWP is emerging as a strong candidate.

The captain should certainly not be decided based on the best player.

Definitely Davis. Our longest serving player now. True professional. Nobody else in our team deserves it more.

EDIT: Double checked and technically Ward-Prowse is our longest serving player. I think he needs to gain more experience and maturity to get the captains band though. Also the armband seems to be a kiss of death as far as remaining at Southampton is concerned so I'd rather he didn't.

Edited by Disco Stu