Matt Le Tiss

benjii

Those of us old enough to have seen his career were truly lucky.

God knows how many cr_ap northern away games I endured in the hope of some Matty magic.

Was there from his debut to his testimonial (still one of the most emotional nights I've experienced at a football ground). Utterly privileged to have experienced it and he's a credit to the game with the way he spent time with fans and never got ahead of himself or gave into ego.

How England never built a side around him I'll never know. The season with Bally in charge he was completely unplayable and the best I've ever seen in the flesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was genunely an absolute one off. All the talk of 'megastars' now... Barkley, Alli, Sterling, Rooney pale into comparison to Le Tiss.

Was so annoying that in front of him lesser talents got on ahead of him, some of them half-decent, some of them not; Merson etc...

8 caps.

Criminal, really.

Still my hero now, aged 29. I remember watching him in utter awe in the Junior Saints block at the dell. So so lucky to have witnessed that man with a football. There should be a statue of the man or a stand named after him, because we wouldn't be at St Mary's if it wasn't for him and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves sometimes.

Complete genius.

You always knew there was a chance with Le Tiss in the side no matter how bad things were. No saints player since has even come close to having his ability on the ball. Infact very few have anywhere and certainly none that have pulled on an England shirt.

Just how much would he be worth today?

Another good collection of his goals

including a few rarely seen ones.

Watched it again. I hated football when I was a kid, decided to go again when I was 14 because some mates asked me to go along. Matty magic made me a lifelong footy obsessive that day til now.

May be controversial to say but the next player that has had that effect on me is Ricky Lambert, had that same magic quality for us that whenever he got the ball, free kicks, penalties, open play, even in a defensive midfield position he could pull out something magical that would change the game for the better. My enduring memory of Lambert isnt the countless goals we celebrated but it is a long almost impossible diagonal crossfield ball on the turn that he played to schneiderlin if I recall correctly. Think Ricky would have a much higher status amongst fans now if he'd not gone but you can only say fair enough he had to give it a go at Pool for his own sake.

hopefully i get to see another player of their quality again in a saints shirt.

Watched it again. I hated football when I was a kid, decided to go again when I was 14 because some mates asked me to go along. Matty magic made me a lifelong footy obsessive that day til now.

May be controversial to say but the next player that has had that effect on me is Ricky Lambert, had that same magic quality for us that whenever he got the ball, free kicks, penalties, open play, even in a defensive midfield position he could pull out something magical that would change the game for the better. My enduring memory of Lambert isnt the countless goals we celebrated but it is a long almost impossible diagonal crossfield ball on the turn that he played to schneiderlin if I recall correctly. Think Ricky would have a much higher status amongst fans now if he'd not gone but you can only say fair enough he had to give it a go at Pool for his own sake.

hopefully i get to see another player of their quality again in a saints shirt.

Matt was in a different league to Lambert.

he was a special talent, especially for 3 or 4 seasons in the 90s, but the flipside of all that magic were games where he drifted and it was like were playing with 10 men.

It is a shame he wasn't more dedicated in his fitness and physical strength - he's a big guy who could have truly dominated midfield and would have broken into the england side as a regular if he showed more commitment to this side of his game.

he was certainly a great player but fell along way short of fulfilling his potential.

I asked him once...how it affected him when he wasn't included in the England '98 squad...he replied quite candidly.."a loss of form". When Beckham got sent off against Argentina, and it was all or nothing...no Gazza either...what must have been going through Hoddle's mind...I need one player that can single handedly turn this game on its head...and I've left him at home. In his best seasons...the best player in the world.

I've always wanted the club to get him on the training ground to coach the players the art of dead ball kicks.

If you look at his top ten goals...yes some were dead balls...but he had this knack in a counter attack...he was lightning quick for 2-3 seconds when it mattered...and he had the accuracy of that great Austrian striker...William Tell!

I asked him once...how it affected him when he wasn't included in the England '98 squad...he replied quite candidly.."a loss of form". When Beckham got sent off against Argentina, and it was all or nothing...no Gazza either...what must have been going through Hoddle's mind...I need one player that can single handedly turn this game on its head...and I've left him at home. In his best seasons...the best player in the world.

That is why Hoddle never made it as a manager. Matt scored that hat trick for England B and still didn't get picked. For anybody who supports England it was one big crying shame.

That is why Hoddle never made it as a manager. Matt scored that hat trick for England B and still didn't get picked. For anybody who supports England it was one big crying shame.

That decision to leave MLT at home in '98 cost England the World Cup...not Beckham getting sent off. Am I alone in thinking that?

It's the sheer accuracy of his finishes that never ceases to amaze me.

His placement of a shot or penalty into the inside of the side netting, out of reach of the keeper, is uncanny.

So glad he stayed loyal to the club after the disgraceful treatment handed out to him and Franny by Cortese.

I started going to games in '92 as a 5 year old. For a long time I never knew a Saints team without MLT and completely took him for granted.

It's great watching all his goals. Just think of all the near misses and brilliant assists too though. He was unbelievable.

He was obviously loyal (although nearly moved to Spurs) but I just don't think he would have worked in many other sides like he did at Saints.

It's the sheer accuracy of his finishes that never ceases to amaze me.

His placement of a shot or penalty into the inside of the side netting, out of reach of the keeper, is uncanny.

So glad he stayed loyal to the club after the disgraceful treatment handed out to him and Franny by Cortese.

Yeah, some of those long range goals - Coventry away, Villa away, Blackburn away, Liverpool at home - are incredible. Just look up and place it in the corner with power. None of the modern day "smash it and hope it wobbles" crap.

Le Tiss and The Dell had an almost psychic link, and that day when he drew all the last reserves of magic out of both himself and The Dell for one last incredible moment...

It still feels like there was something supernatural happening that day.

I started watching Saints in the mid 1950's so I watched Paine, Sydenham, Davies, Chivers and Channon etc, but MLT is the best player that I have ever seen in a Saints shirt....and that includes Keegan! I went home with a smile on my face so many times after watching him....win or lose! I have met him a few times and he is such a nice bloke and very down to earth....there will never be another to touch him.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My first game at The Dell was as a 7 year old in 87 and against Sheffield Wednesday, I think. I was well poised to appreciate the magic of Le Tiss. What a man. Great memories watching with my grandfather, old man and his mates. I think a favourite match of mine was last day of the season against West Ham at Upton Park. Relegation looming, pitch invasions, absolutely electric atmosphere, end result 3-3, Saints are staying up! Le Tiss scored from a free kick that day. Still admire the man, an inspiration. Many great memories.

My favourite goal is actually the free kick against Wimbledon. Ball rolled to him, flicked it up and volleyed it into the top corner. No effort required at all, absolute genius.

Yeah this for me too. The sheer nonchalance of it, as if he was just messing around on the training ground. He was almost insulting the Wimbledon players with it. You would never see somebody attempting that in the PL these days.

Yeah this for me too. The sheer nonchalance of it, as if he was just messing around on the training ground. He was almost insulting the Wimbledon players with it. You would never see somebody attempting that in the PL these days.

Hans Segar the Wimbledon goalkeeper had been in the press that week saying Le Tissier wasn't good enough for England. The goal was about making him look stupid.

Mission accomplished,

There was an artistic creativity about the way he played. Looking at things in a different way and coming up with ideas that work and can be physically accomplished by the 'artist' - that's where the physical ability comes in. Not trained (eg. most professional players), not 'practiced' (eg. Beckham), but a natural ability to think differently.

Unfortunately, a moody nature is the side-effect (however it manifests itself: temper, apathy, obsession, etc).

Very few people have it, let alone footballers.

I'm sure someone will make a list of other footballers they think have/had it (and probably for another thread), but allow me to sow the seed:

Pele, Best, Cantona, Platini, Cruyff, Bergkamp, Zidane and ... controversial one coming up ... Di Canio.

That's pretty amazing company. Le Tissier is definitely 'one of those'.

Was the era I started going down the Dell on my own with a few mates, in for a quid on the Milton.

Of all the great memories that man and team gave me during that period, an innocuous midweek league cup game? against Norwich stands out... Le Tiss hattrick with the third being a run just inside Norwich's half, a bit of luck as he ran into the last covering defender before advancing to the corner of the penalty box before picking out a curler past a deflated Bryan Gunn... Milton went batsh*t crazy before it hits the net...

EDIT: Jaysus, I'd forgotten how good his second that night was...

The third was also much better than I remember/described above.. damn you getting old!!

Edited by jasonb

I wish they had all the multi angle cameras back then. Many of those goals' date=' especially at the Dell, I've only seen from one viewpoint unless I was there which fortunately I was for a few. Would love to see behind the goal views, close ups but alas 'twas a different time.[/quote']

I went to a midweek rearranged fixture at the tail end of one season v Palace. Sat in the Milton Road end, first half Matty boots one up to the moon from outside the box up it went miles into the sky, then gravity took over and down it came you could see the keeper going I've got this, its mine, the ball drops just out of his reach behind him into the net.

As for the behind the goal view, second half Matty gets the ball diagonal to me, sat in the stand, just inside the box then he seemingly just strokes the ball goalwards (and straight at me), as we sat there the initial thought was damn and blast keepers got this, next thing you know the net is bulging,

I swear everyone on the line of the shot in the Milton Road End momentarily just sat there like me stunned at what we had just seen, before joining the celebrations.

I also remember a December MOTD when Matt was in his prime, they had a montage of the season so far and all the great goals scored by everyone......... except - hang on a minute - Matty!!!! Might well have been early days of Lineker - "Some of you will have noticed that there was one man missing from that, that's because he has a film of his own" " Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Matthew Le Tissier" and away we went, Oppo players being turned inside out, up side down, being sat on their bum, goalies flapping at fresh air as the ball whistled past them...........superb.

One of the best goals to watch, not for Matts skill but crowd reaction, is the one away against Liverpool, Mark Wright (?) led a merry dance, bang! back of the net, watch it again except look at the Liverpool fans in the Kop behind the goal, they too have been hypnotised and are applauding a goal en-masse against their own team.

To sum Matt up when Sky were saying to him about being the first 100 Premier League goalscorer from midfield.............. His reply "Just imagine if I could run"!

While watching those videos I was wondering what it would feel like for a player like this to come through the academy now (especially if we got an Alan Shearer at the same time!) My first game was as a 5 year old in 1990 - Le Tissier got the second in a 2-1 win - so for me Matt was always there. Not sure if that meant in some ways I took it for granted quite how lucky I was to watch him every week, and how lucky we all were to have someone so talented prepared to stick with us, especially the way things have gone now with the game.

I could watch videos of his goals/skills all day - and the more you watch the more you see an amazing goal you didn't even know about! Just watched a "6 minutes of Le Tissier" video with goals from 90-92, and there is an amazing overheard/scissor kick against Forest - would be most players' best ever goal yet may not even get in Le Tissier's top 20, ha.

Was the era I started going down the Dell on my own with a few mates, in for a quid on the Milton.

Of all the great memories that man and team gave me during that period, an innocuous midweek league cup game? against Norwich stands out... Le Tiss hattrick with the third being a run just inside Norwich's half, a bit of luck as he ran into the last covering defender before advancing to the corner of the penalty box before picking out a curler past a deflated Bryan Gunn... Milton went batsh*t crazy before it hits the net...

EDIT: Jaysus, I'd forgotten how good his second that night was...

The third was also much better than I remember/described above.. damn you getting old!!

His second in that game is my all-time favourite goal of his. Ever.

I went to a midweek rearranged fixture at the tail end of one season v Palace. Sat in the Milton Road end, first half Matty boots one up to the moon from outside the box up it went miles into the sky, then gravity took over and down it came you could see the keeper going I've got this, its mine, the ball drops just out of his reach behind him into the net.

As for the behind the goal view, second half Matty gets the ball diagonal to me, sat in the stand, just inside the box then he seemingly just strokes the ball goalwards (and straight at me), as we sat there the initial thought was damn and blast keepers got this, next thing you know the net is bulging,

I swear everyone on the line of the shot in the Milton Road End momentarily just sat there like me stunned at what we had just seen, before joining the celebrations.

I also remember a December MOTD when Matt was in his prime, they had a montage of the season so far and all the great goals scored by everyone......... except - hang on a minute - Matty!!!! Might well have been early days of Lineker - "Some of you will have noticed that there was one man missing from that, that's because he has a film of his own" " Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Matthew Le Tissier" and away we went, Oppo players being turned inside out, up side down, being sat on their bum, goalies flapping at fresh air as the ball whistled past them...........superb.

One of the best goals to watch, not for Matts skill but crowd reaction, is the one away against Liverpool, Mark Wright (?) led a merry dance, bang! back of the net, watch it again except look at the Liverpool fans in the Kop behind the goal, they too have been hypnotised and are applauding a goal en-masse against their own team.

To sum Matt up when Sky were saying to him about being the first 100 Premier League goalscorer from midfield.............. His reply "Just imagine if I could run"!

No offence, but that first goal against Palace had nothing to do with MLT's talent and was 100% just a keeper howler....

No offence, but that first goal against Palace had nothing to do with MLT's talent and was 100% just a keeper howler....

............. offence taken!!!!! Wash your mouth out with soap young man!! :D

Without a doubt keeper error, poor bloke couldn't even blame the sun getting in his eyes as it was at his back, just a ball dropping out of a blue sky giving no perception of speed just coming at him, adjust one step back, two, three - all senses gone........... I would like to think that Matt just thought that he would pull the pin out and just toss an awkward ball into the box for everyone to fight over, not expecting it to go in.

My point was more his second.......... just wow! I was stunned enough to still be seeing it now!