Saints v Saint-Étienne

Pamplemousse

No wonder we are all the experts favourites for relegation this season. It's a shame that we've fallen so far in such a short space of time, but providing we can keep most of the squad together we should be able to get at least play-offs in 2018/19

Are you Alpine in disguise :)

it won't work with austin and gabbi up front. need to put tadic or boufal up there to play around one of them and replace the other with another midfielder.

we desperately need someone in midfield who can win the ball, break down oppo play and set up attacks - we seem to have players who do one of the other.

This truly is utter garbage. Only one Saints player has even looked in the slightest bit hungry/dangerous: Boufal. Davis as slow as ever, no attacking intent and zero threat. We seem to have subbed one defensive manager for another.

We bring in an equally pragmatic manager as Puel So we shouldn't be too surprised with how ponderous we are.

Still, it's only pre season... who knows what we'll dish up come the first game.

Definitely pressing at the front though, then 11 men behind the ball in the final third followed by more pressing from that base.

We bring in an equally pragmatic manager as Puel So we shouldn't be too surprised with how ponderous we are.

Still, it's only pre season... who knows what we'll dish up come the first game.

Definitely pressing at the front though, then 11 men behind the ball in the final third followed by more pressing from that base.

Still its an attacking line up. Just don't think we have the midfield dominance to accommodate all those attacking players. The last thing I want to see is Austin dropping deep.

Not seeing much difference from last season so far where is this 100% high press game the new manager was supposed to be bringing in? Nice passing around at the back no real threat upfront so far.

Maybe the personnel aren't capabale of playing the high press game. We were already short on quality going in to last season and not much has changed so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise if that is the case.

Maybe the personnel aren't capabale of playing the high press game. We were already short on quality going in to last season and not much has changed so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise if that is the case.

Exactly.

Slow, disjointed, unbalanced rubbish.

Romeu and Davis doesn't work as a partnership. Never had. Tadic and Boufal have never worked when both are on the pitch - they both take too many touches and stop the flow of any rare attacking breaks. One or the other can play, not both.

Is Austin playing as a 10? Probably our least technically gifted player in a key creative position - makes no sense at all. Gabbiadini has had no service at all.

High press? No. High energy? No. Attacking, flowing football? No. Any signs of progress from the Puel era? Non.

Only a friendly, of course, but nothing so far this preseason has even hinted that we'll be any better than last term.

Boufal has looked all right, mind you.

Austin looks way sharper this pre-season, passing the ball well and shielding very well.

Finally a good shot on goal, well done, Gabby.

The team is defending well without the ball and getting a lot of players into the opossition box for crosses. Those are the things that jump out to me compared to Puel's tactis.

There is still a long way to go, obviously.

Tactical genius. Brilliant the way we are disguising our new attacking and pressing game from the scouts watching from our early season opponents. They will report back that we are still playing the way we did in the last five games of last season. Then we will show em

I said the same when MoPe came in and people said he was Poch's mini -me that I wasn't sure we had the personel for a high press game.

Gabbi had a chance or two, Austin played a lot of hold-up play and had some nice passes out of them. I don't think I like the center mid with Davis and Romeu, didn't seem to have control or creativity. We need Tadic back in the middle not on the wing. At times it looked like a 4-4-1-1 with Austin behind Gabbi holding up the ball and dishing it.

Austin looks way sharper this pre-season, passing the ball well and shielding very well.

The team is defending well without the ball and getting a lot of players into the opossition box for crosses. Those are the things that jump out to me compared to Puel's tactis.

I must be watching a different Austin to you.

I agree with all this. We need to get more of a push in center mid. It seems the only way we got it down field was to loft long passes and have Austin hold and distribute them.

I thought we picked up as the game went on and there was some good interplay at times over the far side. Boufal looks sharp, and they've struggled to contain him, and so does Austin for that matter. We are pressing more, although occasionally a disconnect between midfield and attack and a bit of casualness in defence to begin with. Shame about Gabbi's chance, but it was on target and saved. We're getting quite a number of corners and it would be good to see JWP on the exploit them more.

As ever with pre-season friendlies it's difficult to come to any firm conclusion, but the opposition is decent - their no 7 is pretty skilful for a lump. As it's now after 6 I feel a verre de vin is in order. A bientot.

Saints improved a little after a slow start. Seemed a long time before they recorded their first shot on target (I think Gabbiadini's was the first). Boufal looks classy but still looking to take on the man and running into a wall instead of passing.

It's worth pointing out that St-Etienne are a decent side. They made it out of their Europa group last year, I think. Still, overall an underwhelming pre-season game for Saints so far. I find myself wishing for midfield reinforcements.

Absolute crap.

Christ this squad needs an overhaul.

My Dad,(72).....almost didn't bother renewing this season....but he did.....he's going to wish he hadn't bothered.

3 generations of us go to St Mary's....unless there is a marked change in strategy ahead....we will struggle to bother to travel the distance anymore.

I've got to keep my young son interested though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I playing into the oppositions hands drinking Beaujolais Villages instead of a Good English Ale?

I've gone for a neutral Fiano Salento, although might go on to a northern red if Gabbi scores and I decide to cook something appropriate, although a bit of Stilton would be a good excuse..