Saints v Saint-Étienne

Pamplemousse

Clasie was playing but you probably didn't notice because he didn't do much. The St-Etienne players found it very easy to brush him aside so he hardly touched the ball.

Regarding the rest of our players' performances, the level of negativity on here is ridiculous. They played well and showed good levels of skill and fitness for a pre-season game against stronger oppostion than they faced in the previous 2 games. I expect they'll do well against Augsburg and Sevilla too.

That was eventually a good pre-season performance against reasonably strong opposition. Still about match fitness and giving all players that could feature game time. We've stepped it up and the manager addressed formation issues second half. Sevilla will be a test next Saturday depending on what side they send out at St Mary's as they also play Everton the following day. And they're playing 2 games in 2 days in the Emirates Tournament this weekend including facing Arsenal, so will be interesting to see how get on in that one. La Liga kicks-off a week later than the PL.

I seem to be alone on this forum in thinking the Matty Targett has the makings of a good player. Like most youngsters he needs a run in the side (difficult with the England left back ahead of him) and again like most youngsters he has made some howlers but this part of the learning process. His weak point seems to be his crossing - but there was nothing wrong with that yesterday.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Exhibit no.1.

If only he would feck off to Arsenal like he's threatened to do for several years.

Great tactic mate ainnit when you're too thick to have your own opinion to try to be a smart Rrse with other people's? Must make you feel proper superior.

People still get so fussed about friendlies. It's just fitness and experimenting with players and formations. Clearly you haven't seen us play really well in friendlies then start the season utterly ****e again. It makes little difference, we'll only know how we're set after a few premier league games.

Shouldn't be surprised but people demanding an overhaul and major investment...really? We have plenty of options for once. It's down to MP to find a decent team out of it. Austin, Long, Gallagher, Gabbiadini, Boufal, Tadic, Redmond and JWP are all vying for 3 or 4 positions in the team. That's great competition, personally I'm excited to see what we can do. Personally I think JWP has improved enough to need to start most games, and playing 2 strikers doesn't work for us anyway. So Gabbiadini over Austin just for the movement.

For me at the moment it's Redmond-Boufal-JWP behind Gabbiadini but all depends on how Tadic, Redmond and Boufal perform really as all can go missing.

Targett played well in the friendly. Not sure why so many don't rate him. Wouldn't be starting him but he's good back up, and if we switch to 343 he's decent as a wing back with Bertrand in the back 3. That's a nice option to have.

That's true but it can also be a useful indicator about how we are going to play. Positive signs that the manager changed things around in the second half and seemingly it worked.

I seem to be alone on this forum in thinking the Matty Targett has the makings of a good player. Like most youngsters he needs a run in the side (difficult with the England left back ahead of him) and again like most youngsters he has made some howlers but this part of the learning process. His weak point seems to be his crossing - but there was nothing wrong with that yesterday.

No you aren't alone :)

No, you are not, he delivers a good cross but needs to improve defensively. At the moment, if anyone runs at him with pace he gets rekt.

That's true but it can also be a useful indicator about how we are going to play. Positive signs that the manager changed things around in the second half and seemingly it worked.

Very much so. We haven't quite resembled the mini spurs I was expecting from the chatter that accompanied MoPes arrival (though that might take time) with a very high press game. If anything we don't look to be playing massively different to last season yesterday all three goals came from crossing out wide, plenty of nice passing at times to keep the ball (including backwards) the main difference just seems to be players being more clinical in front of goal.

I'm with you too.

No you're not

No you're not

Agree, he has plenty of class, and will make a decent PL player. He'll never be the quickest, but if he can keep developing his positional sense, he won't get into too many problems.

And remember he put in a perfect cross for Shane in the win over Watford.

Targett is technically good. He just lacks that yard of pace you need in the PL (same as JWP).

Playing as wing back with defensive cover he did well but playing in a back four against a winger with any speed he has really struggled defensively which is why people aren't sure about him.

PL is an unforgiving place to learn and IMO he could have done with a season playing every week in the Championship but he might be beyond that now.

Interesting to see if we keep Bertrand, Targett and McQueen in the first team squad.

We just need that quality defensive midfielder ....that should be top of our shopping list

We have one, Harrison Reed. He has the pace needed to compliment Romeu. As he has gone out on loan I hope we have someone in the pipeline?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

It was either my imagination or my stream that needed refreshing, but I thought Tadic was very quiet on Saturday especially second half.

Be interesting to see how he fairs with the new boss. Last season Puel painted himself into a corner with Dusan, by blowing sunshine up his backside (bit like Redmond - the new Henry) saying he wanted to build the team round him, which made Tadic think he was instantly Billy Big whatsits, then when he didn't put in the performances getting the hump at being subbed, having a moan making the manger keep him on the pitch when just about everyone in the ground except Puel could see he was the player to be changed.

Pretty sure we would all like to see the Tadic when he first turned up at SMS this season, and not the Tadic who repeatedly lost the ball cheaply and blaming everyone else on the pitch for doing so that we had last season.

I agree and that's why Davis played well there in the past. I'm not going to overextrapolate from a few mins in a friendly against a side that was making changes and had an eye on next week and coronate him just yet as the next no.10.

Perhaps JWP can play there, though to date, managers have viewed him either as a deep-lying CM where he can keep possession and set a tempo or a RM where he can use his right foot and whip crosses in. As you say a no.10 requires JWP to be a goal threat and incisive on the ball - things we've not really seen as yet. But who knows...

Davis did indeed play there, and always looked pretty dangerous when we broke away with pace. The problem is he is hopeless at picking out a final pass. So many chances broke down due to this. He isn't the man for the job. Has to be Tadic or Boufal needs to be coached around letting the ball go at the right time.

I have always said he will be a good plyer for us. Yes he lacks pace but I don't think that has always been a problem. He hs been up against some pretty quick and decent attackers in his time. My only issue s that he doesn't seem hard enough and is a it of a girl when he gets a knock

I have always said he will be a good plyer for us. Yes he lacks pace but I don't think that has always been a problem. He hs been up against some pretty quick and decent attackers in his time. My only issue s that he doesn't seem hard enough and is a it of a girl when he gets a knock

Targett has amazing delivery into the box but he cannot play at left back. Better as an option at the left of the three behind the lone striker. Especially if Austin is playing.

Wonder why we didn't see Redmond???

Nathan told us afterwards that he tore his hamstring against Poland in U21s, and then still came off bench v Germany and made it worse. He had a session on the pitch with fitness coach after the game and hopes he might be able to play next week.

Davis did indeed play there, and always looked pretty dangerous when we broke away with pace. The problem is he is hopeless at picking out a final pass. So many chances broke down due to this. He isn't the man for the job. Has to be Tadic or Boufal needs to be coached around letting the ball go at the right time.

Couldn't disagree more. That's was one of his main qualities in said position in seasons past. Great pass-composure and link play for an AM. His issue, and perhaps his only issue, is his chronic inability in front of goal.

Nathan told us afterwards that he tore his hamstring against Poland in U21s, and then still came off bench v Germany and made it worse. He had a session on the pitch with fitness coach after the game and hopes he might be able to play next week.

Wheelies without a helmet on a wet track possibly not a good idea for multimillion pound footballers with hamstring injuries...?

fit=scale

Couldn't disagree more. That's was one of his main qualities in said position in seasons past. Great pass-composure and link play for an AM. His issue, and perhaps his only issue, is his chronic inability in front of goal.

Why does he have so few assists then (JWP has the same number of assists in less than 1/3 of the minutes and there aren't many on here claiming that he's an outstanding prospect at AM)?

Don't get me wrong, he's capable of playing good attacking passes, but he's just too negative to do it most of the time and prefers to hand on responsibility elsewhere (usually either the CB or overlapping FB). In his ability to trot around and cautiously shepherd possession, he's unmatched in our squad. In his ability to do things that actually influence games rather than appease a rather undemanding section of our fanbase, he's always been lacking and even in that respect, his performances have dipped alarmingly over the last season and a half.

Why does he have so few assists then (JWP has the same number of assists in less than 1/3 of the minutes and there aren't many on here claiming that he's an outstanding prospect at AM)?

If there was a metric for the pass before the assist you would see why. His corners are not great and that is the source of most of JWP's assists (together with his free kicks). But his strength is so often the pass that leads indirectly to the goal. Of course not many assists because we were so pathetic at actually scoring last season. The reliance by some people on the "number of assists" statistic in deciding whether a player is good or not is one of those things that highlights the ignorance of some modern day football fans. Don't get me wrong, we could do better than Davis, he is coming to the end of his career and we need to replace him, but at the moment he is still the best we have.

Wheelies without a helmet on a wet track possibly not a good idea for multimillion pound footballers with hamstring injuries...?

fit=scale

Three words. Kevin Keegan. Superstars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there was a metric for the pass before the assist you would see why. His corners are not great and that is the source of most of JWP's assists (together with his free kicks). But his strength is so often the pass that leads indirectly to the goal. Of course not many assists because we were so pathetic at actually scoring last season. The reliance by some people on the "number of assists" statistic in deciding whether a player is good or not is one of those things that highlights the ignorance of some modern day football fans. Don't get me wrong, we could do better than Davis, he is coming to the end of his career and we need to replace him, but at the moment he is still the best we have.

I suspect you'd find for Davis that most of his pass-before-the-passes have been slow, deliberate shuffles of the ball out to a fullback who actually puts in all the craft and technique leading to a goal.

Really, what this whole argument seems to boil down to is that I've been saying he's sh*t and we could do better for two years, and everyone else seems to be saying he's an underappreciated hero and we could do better. Which is it? Can we do better, or is he the most underappreciated midfielder in the league? If you'd just started out by saying 'yeah, he's average but we haven't got anyone better at the moment' I'd have agreed with you from the very beginning and we could've saved ourselves some time...

I suspect you'd find for Davis that most of his pass-before-the-passes have been slow, deliberate shuffles of the ball out to a fullback who actually puts in all the craft and technique leading to a goal.

Really, what this whole argument seems to boil down to is that I've been saying he's sh*t and we could do better for two years, and everyone else seems to be saying he's an underappreciated hero and we could do better. Which is it? Can we do better, or is he the most underappreciated midfielder in the league? If you'd just started out by saying 'yeah, he's average but we haven't got anyone better at the moment' I'd have agreed with you from the very beginning and we could've saved ourselves some time...

You obviously haven't been watching the same games as me. Yes, he sometimes plays the simple ball out to the wing, or back to retain possession. But he's equally involved in short sharp passing and regularly finds the ball inside the full back to get a player to the bye-line for a cross.

Amongst a contingent of fans, there's a popular but inaccurate view that he is (as you say), slow and ponderous. He isn't. He may slow the game down but he can read the game well and pick a pass. The understanding between him and JWP is a significant factor when we are playing well.

He's a key link in the midfield, working hard and giving the more creative players opportunities. IMO, when he's not on the field, we are never as cohesive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk