Saints v Saint-Étienne

Pamplemousse

Good in the secomd half once Austin went off and JWP came on.

JWP such a conundrum. Can't play in the deeper lying two, but also not an ideal no10 - but made a big difference today with a goal and assist so you want to pick him somewhere.

IMO we still lack pace in the side, especially in central midfield - need a signing there certainly.

Otherwise think we have to pick one from Austin or Gabbi (later for me) as we aren't dominant enough to play with two strikers unless we went much more direct which we won't, and Austin not so mobile.

Wonder if Gallagher will go out on loan again? Not been hugely involved yet in pre season and he won't develop with 5min sub appearances and U23 football.

Significant period in the second half when Austin went off and we suddenly started playing further up the pitch with more tempo.

Too many subs to worry about the last 15 minutes, but the period from Austin going off until that point was much more like it

Yep, Austin and Gabbi don't seem to be the answer, if that was the intention.

What we'd do for a real no.10. Whether JWP can play there and how much defensive work that player is expected to do are open questions. On attacking ability alone, you'd think Boufal or Tadic would be a better choice.

well it seemed Austin was playing in the 10 position rather than leading the line which is odd. I guess the manager was trying to get everyone minutes on the pitch rather than some sort of tactical experiment.

yep, it seemed a little odd how Austin was tactically playing. Last match MP had Long playing there too, but not today. Maybe next match try Gabbi? I think MP is just experimenting. In general I thought Boufal, Pied, JWP, Targett, and Yoshida all looked good.

Things we learnt from today's match :

a) Never play in French graveyards.

b) Romeu looks silly with hair.

c) Taylor is a great goalkeeping prospect.

d) Substitutions changed the game.

e) We are everybody's favourite to be relegated.

f) People do not renew ST's based on 45 mins of a meaningless match..

g) You can find a few t0ssers on Saintsweb match threads.

h) Matty Targett is the new MLT.

Apart from that, it was a run-of-the-mill pre-season friendly !

Have a nice evening :)

The proverbial game of two halves.

Stuperman Taylor proving that with training - and only training - for ten years or so, you too could possibly improve fractionally. Or at least give the impression of improvement, as everyone's memory of your previous level of ability will have faded with the passing decade...

St. Etienne deserved a goal or two - we were far from watertight, and too easy to get through when the midfield was just Romeu and Davis (which still doesn't work).

So, who's next to try out in the 10? Austin looked horrible. Boufal and Tadic haven't convinced there. Davis has been underwhelming a over the years. Ward-Prowse did a decent job when he came on. Is it Redmond's turn next?

They're not a bad side..our squad was better than theirs.

Sainte Etienne was a decent test for us, also 8th in their top division, although arguably the PL is stronger down at that level. I was interested to read that they have the best results historically of any French club, but their glory days are well behind them now (a bit like Liverpool :lol:)

I think MP is just experimenting. In general I thought Boufal, Pied, JWP, Targett, and Yoshida all looked good.

Yep. I'd add Austin in there too, and he seemed a lot sharper than last year. But experimenting in a pre-season friendly - yhe horror of it.. Perhaps you should point this out to a few of the commenters on this thread?

The proverbial game of two halves.

Stuperman Taylor proving that with training - and only training - for ten years or so, you too could possibly improve fractionally. Or at least give the impression of improvement, as everyone's memory of your previous level of ability will have faded with the passing decade...

St. Etienne deserved a goal or two - we were far from watertight, and too easy to get through when the midfield was just Romeu and Davis (which still doesn't work).

So, who's next to try out in the 10? Austin looked horrible. Boufal and Tadic haven't convinced there. Davis has been underwhelming a over the years. Ward-Prowse did a decent job when he came on. Is it Redmond's turn next?

We tried the Boufal, Tadic and Redmond experiment last season against Hull IIRC and it looked horrible. Unless we're going to bring in a quality DCM to partner Romeu, it will probably be 2 of those 3, with Redmond's pace giving him an edge (as we don't have alot of pace). Davis used to play the 10 role in the Poch days to good effect as he could drop deeper and defend when necessary. Maybe it's JWP turn, though it seems an area where we could improve.

Edited by shurlock

We tried the Boufal, Tadic and Redmond experiment last season against Hull IIRC and it looked horrible. Unless we're going to bring in a quality DCM to partner Romeu, it will probably be 2 of those 3, with Redmond's pace giving him an edge (as we don't have alot of pace). Davis used to play the 10 role in the Poch days to good effect as he could drop deeper and defend when necessary. Maybe it's JWP turn, though it seems an area where we could improve.

Attacking midfield three should probably be JWP + any two of Tadic, Boufal & Redmond depending on form and fitness, with the likes of Sims waiting their turn on the bench. DM pair must be Romeu + either Clasie or Hojberg - the make do and mend approach of trying to fit Davis in there just because he's vice captain surely can't last another season.

JwP playing in the 10 position..is this his year to stand out?
It's an unpopular view, but I stand by my opinion that he is crucial to this team. Not spectacular, but he is often the link that lets others express themselves. If he can show a bit more aggression both in pressing and in getting into scoring positions, he'll be the automatic choice at 10.

Before long, he's going to be the player we're trying to hang on to.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On attacking ability alone, you'd think Boufal or Tadic would be a better choice.

But it's not just attacking flair. It's the ability to link play, play the incisive pass, keep possession and do the simple thing when necessary, and be a goal threat.

In most of those, JWP is now the best option, and he'll grow in the role.

But it's not just attacking flair. It's the ability to link play, play the incisive pass, keep possession and do the simple thing when necessary, and be a goal threat.

His goal today was a cleaner finish than we're used to seeing from him. Usually goes for the side-foot waft, but there was a bit more in-step behind this one.

I agree and that's why Davis played well there in the past. I'm not going to overextrapolate from a few mins in a friendly against a side that was making changes and had an eye on next week and coronate him just yet as the next no.10.

Perhaps JWP can play there, though to date, managers have viewed him either as a deep-lying CM where he can keep possession and set a tempo or a RM where he can use his right foot and whip crosses in. As you say a no.10 requires JWP to be a goal threat and incisive on the ball - things we've not really seen as yet. But who knows...

The most important thing to come out of today was the pre-season knee-jerk warmup. Great practice ahead of the season opener for people to base their entire opinion of the club and everyone in it on a poor throw in, and to make it very clear that they had already told everyone something would happen long before it happened, with added emphasis on being right more than anyone else.

Hopefully the forum will stick with this lineup for the season, although there is probably a hilarious line to be had about Liverpool's forum pinching our best posters!!1!11!11!!1!

That was an excellent performance against decent opposition. I thought nearly all of our players had good games, especially Targett, Ward-Prowse, Stephens, Pied and Davis, who seems to be unpopular on here but who for me is and unsung hero, a bit like Marsden used to be. I'm looking forward to the Augsburg and Sevilla games.

In reality we were slightly less of a shambles than ASSE and the score line flattered us. Some of our passing and ball control was beyond woeful and at no stage did we look like taking control and putting our stamp on the match. Not many positives to be taken from this and a lot needs to improve in the Tuesday and Saturday kick-abouts to give us any confidence about the new season. In fairness 'though it is unreasonable to expect a novice manager new to the PL to have achieved a miracle overnight especially as he has not yet even met all of his players..

In reality we were slightly less of a shambles than ASSE and the score line flattered us. Some of our passing and ball control was beyond woeful and at no stage did we look like taking control and putting our stamp on the match. Not many positives to be taken from this and a lot needs to improve in the Tuesday and Saturday kick-abouts to give us any confidence about the new season. In fairness 'though it is unreasonable to expect a novice manager new to the PL to have achieved a miracle overnight especially as he has not yet even met all of his players..
Or, after a poor first half, Saints began to look far more coherent and threatening, showing encouraging progression through the warm-up games.

Playing for a new manager in a new style, but beginning to look good, especially with VVD, Cedric and Redmond still missing.

1st Southampton/Spurs

2nd Spurs/Southampton

It's going to happen

We're both going to sign as little as 2-3 young players each, rely on youth products for squad back up and rotation

Break the mould and both challenge for the title. :lol: :smug:

It was streamed live on the Saints Facebook page, so the video is there to watch at any time.

Ah, cheers!

I gave in and just watched the highlights instead...impressed with Ward-Prowses goal, that's the kind of late run into the box first time finishing we've been crying out for from him from the start! I still have faith he'll develop into a goalscoring midfielder.

Edited by Saint_clark

No...based on the money saving,squad depleting,lack of quality and foresight it seems, to change the downward spiral.

We are going backwards....not even standing still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice you haven't posted this at 0-0, anything to add post game or have you just gained some perspective?

The most important thing to come out of today was the pre-season knee-jerk warmup. Great practice ahead of the season opener for people to base their entire opinion of the club and everyone in it on a poor throw in, and to make it very clear that they had already told everyone something would happen long before it happened, with added emphasis on being right more than anyone else.

Hopefully the forum will stick with this lineup for the season, although there is probably a hilarious line to be had about Liverpool's forum pinching our best posters!!1!11!11!!1!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Exhibit no.1.

If only he would feck off to Arsenal like he's threatened to do for several years.

That was an excellent performance against decent opposition. I thought nearly all of our players had good games, especially Targett, Ward-Prowse, Stephens, Pied and Davis, who seems to be unpopular on here but who for me is and unsung hero, a bit like Marsden used to be. I'm looking forward to the Augsburg and Sevilla games.

Blimey Nordic, you want to be careful, these players of whom you speak, these names spoken will be viewed in some quarters on these here pages as heresy.

Take care my friend. :?

Things we learnt from today's match :

a) Never play in French graveyards.

b) Romeu looks silly with hair.

c) Taylor is a great goalkeeping prospect.

d) Substitutions changed the game.

e) We are everybody's favourite to be relegated.

f) People do not renew ST's based on 45 mins of a meaningless match..

g) You can find a few t0ssers on Saintsweb match threads.

h) Matty Targett is the new MLT.

Apart from that, it was a run-of-the-mill pre-season friendly !

Have a nice evening :)

We really do have some special fans on here. Lol.

Goodness. I know it's only preseason but you'd have thought the players would have at pretended they're professional footballers. What an horrific performance from both sides, amateurish at best. The positive to take from the game is we are slightly less s**t than ASSE, and the negatives are well, everything else. Swansea will be licking their lips.

Is Clasie injured? Or just not liked by the manager yet?

Clasie was playing but you probably didn't notice because he didn't do much. The St-Etienne players found it very easy to brush him aside so he hardly touched the ball.

Regarding the rest of our players' performances, the level of negativity on here is ridiculous. They played well and showed good levels of skill and fitness for a pre-season game against stronger oppostion than they faced in the previous 2 games. I expect they'll do well against Augsburg and Sevilla too.

Clasie was playing but you probably didn't notice because he didn't do much. The St-Etienne players found it very easy to brush him aside so he hardly touched the ball.

Regarding the rest of our players' performances, the level of negativity on here is ridiculous. They played well and showed good levels of skill and fitness for a pre-season game against stronger oppostion than they faced in the previous 2 games. I expect they'll do well against Augsburg and Sevilla too.

The level of negativity is to be expected. Some represent a long footballing tradition of being negative because they believe by expressing what 'others can't see' elevates them, some are life's malcontents and some are forum characters committed to their role.

Goodness. I know it's only preseason but you'd have thought the players would have at pretended they're professional footballers. What an horrific performance from both sides, amateurish at best. The positive to take from the game is we are slightly less s**t than ASSE, and the negatives are well, everything else. Swansea will be licking their lips.

https://thejack.army/threads/29-jul-2017-birmingham-city-v-swansea-city.13963/page-4

Not really, similar bunch of negative forumer's on there by looks of things......