The 2017-18 Pundits pre-season League Prediction Thread

doddisalegend

So with the new season rapidly approaching the next couple of weeks will see the media full of the annual Premier league prediction articles. I thought it might be good to have a thread to share how the pundits think we will do this season so we can all disagree or agree and look back and laugh at (hopefully) at the end of the season.

So to get the ball rolling First up is Old saggy chops in the Sun today and he isn't hopeful for saints.

Arsenal Top seven

Bournemouth Safe

Brighton relegation fight

Burnley relegation fight

Chelsea Title challengers

Crystal Palace Safe

Everton Top six

Liverpool Top six

Leicester Top half

Huddersfield relegation fight

Man City Champions

Man Utd Top four

Newcastle Relegation fight

Southampton Relegation fight

Stoke city Mid table

Swansea Safe

Spurs Top four

West ham Top half

West Brom Top half

Watford Relegation fight

I guess if anyone will know what a relegation fodder saints team looks like it would be good old 'Arry....

And await the 'can't keep selling your best players' cliche ******** from all the tabloids. Will rely on only Jacob Steinberg giving a decent appraisal of our chances. Not so much Robbie Savage, Ray Parlour etc.

With two home games to start, we need to get the can't score at home albatross off our backs. Need to pick up decent points early on as we have easier (on paper fixtures) start poorly, we could be in for a long slog of a season.

Start well, score some goals, we could (and if we are half decent, should) be top six by November - because of our easier start.

So, Saints - 10th.

Champs - Man City

Relegation

Watford (worst team on form end of last season)

Huddersfield

Brighton

So with the new season rapidly approaching the next couple of weeks will see the media full of the annual Premier league prediction articles. I thought it might be good to have a thread to share how the pundits think we will do this season so we can all disagree or agree and look back and laugh at (hopefully) at the end of the season.

So to get the ball rolling First up is Old saggy chops in the Sun today and he isn't hopeful for saints.

Arsenal Top seven

Bournemouth Safe

Brighton relegation fight

Burnley relegation fight

Chelsea Title challengers

Crystal Palace Safe

Everton Top six

Liverpool Top six

Leicester Top half

Huddersfield relegation fight

Man City Champions

Man Utd Top four

Newcastle Relegation fight

Southampton Relegation fight

Stoke city Mid table

Swansea Safe

Spurs Top four

West ham Top half

West Brom Top half

Watford Relegation fight

I guess if anyone will know what a relegation fodder saints team looks like it would be good old 'Arry....

So actually - his prediction is.

1. Man City

2. Chelsea

3/4. Man Utd

3/4. Spurs

5/6. Liverpool

5/6. Everton

7. Arsenal

8/9/10. Leicester

8/9/10. West Ham

8/9/10. West Brom

11. Stoke

12/13/14. Bournemouth

12/13/14. Crystal Palace

12/13/14. Swansea

15/16/17/18/19/20. Brighton

15/16/17/18/19/20. Burnley

15/16/17/18/19/20. Huddersfield

15/16/17/18/19/20. Newcastle

15/16/17/18/19/20. Southampton

15/16/17/18/19/20. Watford

Predictions are largely pointless until the end of the transfer window.

The VVD outcome (either way) will make a huge difference for us and the starting XI we have for most of the season.

Likewise situations at other sides. That said, it would be a brave pundit to predict top half for us based on our signings and those of teams who were only just behind us lasr season i.e West Ham, Bournemouth. At this stage those sides have significantly improved their starting XI, whereas we haven't.

Stoke - mid table.... nope 'Arry, thats a relegation fight right there.

Swansea - safe... what the hell is this man talking about?!?!

By default, he also has Arsenal as 7th, whilst tottenham are guaranteed top 4 apparently.

The bloke is clueless.

Who gives a stuff about Saggy's opinions ?

Anyway, what do pundits know ? Here are 3 examples of predictions for last season....

Phil McNulty (BBC);

1 Man City

2 Man Utd

3 Chelsea

4 Arsenal

5 Spurs

6 Liverpool

7 West Ham

8 Leicester

9 Everton

10 Stoke

11 Palace

12 Saints

13 Sunderland

14 WBA

15 Swansea

16 Bournemouth

17 Middlesborough

18 Watford

19 Burnley

20 Hull

Robbie Savage;

1 Man Utd

2 Man City

3 Liverpool

4 Chelsea

5 Spurs

6 Arsenal

7 Leicester

8 West Ham

9 Everton

10 Stoke

11 Palace

12 Saints

13 Watford

14 Sunderland

15 Bournemouth

16 WBA

17 Burnley

18 Swansea

19 Middlesborough

20 Hull

Paul Merson;

1 Chelsea

2 Man City

3 Man Utd

4 Arsenal

5 Liverpool

6 Spurs

7 West Ham

8 Everton

9 Saints

10 Stoke

11 Leicester

12 Palace

13 Middlesborough

14 Sunderland

15 Swansea

16 Watford

17 WBA

18 Bournemouth

19 Hull

20 Burnley

getting the excuses out early..........

"At the end of last season I thought I am going to build a team that is going to get promoted this year.

"And I still believe I will, nothing has changed.

"But I do need to get some people in otherwise it's impossible. "

Harry likes a deal so it makes sense, plus there are clubs there that he'll obviously have a bias over like West Ham and Bournemouth, he probably thinks West Ham's scatter gun approach to signings will pay off. I'm doubtful, there is more to a football team than just buying loads of players, even Football Manager knows that.

That will really annoy the dippers. Suggesting Coutinho should leave and VVD shouldn't join them, how dare he do such a thing, how disrespectful.

BBC McNulty has 14th.

Premier League 2017-18: Phil McNulty predicts who will finish where

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40816204

'There will come a time when they cannot pull off this trick of succeeding surrounded by such turbulence'. What one sulky CB?

I know we are all biased but I do think he is pretty poor and never gives any real insight or angles for a chief football correspondent. Bland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the generally consensuses seems to be safely mired in mid- table (apart from 'Arry) for the season which I guess most fans probably expect as well.

I can't recall anyone ever predicting us finishing higher than we have since championship. Personally only think Leicester will improve significantly. No fear of West Ham and Bournemouth. WBA definitely not. Palace bit unknown with FDB.

BBC McNulty has 14th.

Premier League 2017-18: Phil McNulty predicts who will finish where

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40816204

'There will come a time when they cannot pull off this trick of succeeding surrounded by such turbulence'. What one sulky CB?

I know we are all biased but I do think he is pretty poor and never gives any real insight or angles for a chief football correspondent. Bland.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's dreadful, and I have no idea why the BBC needs a 'chief football correspondent'. He adds absolutely nothing.

I hope he doesn't read the comments section, it doesn't make for nice reading if you're Phil!

Edited by Pamplemousse

He's dreadful, and I have no idea why the BBC needs a 'chief football correspondent'. He adds absolutely nothing.

I hope he doesn't read the comments section, it doesn't make for nice reading if you're Phil!

Ever article he produces on the BBC he gets deservedly gets panned in the comments :lol:

He's back everyone's favourite BBC pundit with his weekly match predictions starting off with a saints win no less

Southampton v Swansea

Both of these teams have players who obviously want to leave - Saints defender Virgil van Dijk and Swansea midfielder Sigurdsson.

I think they will both get the moves they want and neither of them are likely to play - why risk them when they are probably not fully fit?

In their absence, I am going for a Southampton win, but I still think Swansea will have a decent season under Paul Clement.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Cram's prediction: 2-0

Foster's prediction: 0-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40745588

Love Barney Ronay, he never takes the game 'too' seriously, he comes over as a dispassionate and somewhat cynical observer but deep down you know he is just as invested as all the rest of us. If you want an easy-reading, fun, holiday book his 'Manager' is a great read.

Love Barney Ronay, he never takes the game 'too' seriously, he comes over as a dispassionate and somewhat cynical observer but deep down you know he is just as invested as all the rest of us. If you want an easy-reading, fun, holiday book his 'Manager' is a great read.

Indeed - 'Neymar harpooned with a cash-gun'

His Andy Carroll ref to a horse being thrown from a castle just one of many funny lines.

Didn't know he'd written a book so cheers

Some brilliant bits here.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4777518/Premier-League-predictions-team-reporters.html

Oliver Holt: Which teams will be relegated? Huddersfield, Newcastle, Southampton. Think the curse of Ashley will strike Newcastle again. He needed to back Rafa Benitez properly this summer and so far, he hasn't.

There seems to be a huge love in for Marco Silva, and also one (albeit not so large) for Frank de Boer.

Some brilliant bits here.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4777518/Premier-League-predictions-team-reporters.html

Oliver Holt: Which teams will be relegated? Huddersfield, Newcastle, Southampton. Think the curse of Ashley will strike Newcastle again. He needed to back Rafa Benitez properly this summer and so far, he hasn't.

There seems to be a huge love in for Marco Silva, and also one (albeit not so large) for Frank de Boer.

I prefer Nick Harris's assessment

• 9 months later...