Prediction for this season

whelk

I'm fairly casual about this season, we've had another crap summer with unrest and seemingly no direction... But I think we have a good manager. If only the board could deliver another year of sexual transfers like Koeman's first year.

We'll come top 8!

P.S. - If we win the league, I am counting that as top 8 :D

Finish between 7th and 9th. Decent football, good season from vvd who goes to barca at the end of the season. Top scorer will be Gabbi on 15+, Boufal and Jwp will get 10 each. Romeu will be pots. Tadic sold in Jan after a strop and at least one surprising player bought.

We will get more points than last season but quite possibly a lower position so most of the bedwetters should be transformed to happy-clappers !

VVD will kindly consent to grace us with his presence for one more year and play his heart out (bless!), Stephens will kick on.. We will sign 2 more unknown young players, one of whom will become an instant starlet and Liverpool will show an interest !

However, to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no idea how we will get on this season but what I do know is that I will support my club through thick and thin as I have done now for over 47 years !!

Some will never see past a league position. Amazed how many think 8th on 46 points and barely any goals is the same as 8th on 60 points. Difference being seeing a lot more victories, happier weekends, more goals and entertainment, more optimism moving forward, a manager keeping his job, players fulfilling potential, youngsters improving.

But you just know we'll come 8th again and we'll have endless threads saying 'well we need to sack him then'.

Personally I can't see beyond league position, seeing as that's how a season is judged. If we finish 2nd with more points than Leicester got for winning it, will you claim that's a better achievement? We were 8th best last season, end of.

If we come 8th again, the manager would have done a f ucking good job. So why on earth would anyone want to sack him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I predict we'll do better at penalties

Stephens won't become the Bobby Moore esque CB many believe

JWP will have a couple of good games, and then flatter to deceive

Yoshida will make at least 1 mistake a game amongst some decent performances

We will be better to watch

We will score more goals but concede more

Our home form will improve

We'll finish between 8th-12th

Lose to someone rubbish in a cup

Lose away at Huddersfield

Be rubbish from November to February

A pretty Saints sort of season really.

Another top ten finish would be pleasing, and I expect an improvement in points not least because MP has a better hand to play than poor Claude did, with no European football and three teams that finished above us without the extra challenge of European football returning to Europe this year.

I think the key to us this season is keeping the front players fit. Am less concerned about the defence as we have a good second string back line compared to our competitors. But early injuries to Austin and Gabby would hit us hard. That is why I would still like to bring in another striker.

I can see Liverpool and Everton struggling to compete on both domestic and European fronts, wouldn't be surprised to see us finish above either or both of them. Spurs also have made no signings and the Wembley factor could play a part.

I think it's shaping up to be an interesting one.

Although League position is what people tend to judge by, I'd rather see more points as a sign of improvement. League position also depends on the results of other teams, over which we have no control. We could easily have ended lower than 8th with last season's 46 points if other sides near us hadn't slipped up. I do think we will do better than last season so I'm going to predict that we'll get around 60 points.

I would, in this specific case. 14 extra points means a lot of better results. 8th or 11th give us the same nothing. I'd rather be entertained.

I doubt it is possible to finish 11th with 60 points the arithmetic seems wrong to me

If we get 60 points it is likely that we will be higher in the table than last season

Well my first prediction will be that I will not have even the merest thought about leaving my seat before the final whistle this season, as I did last season (thinking about it - not actually doing it that is). Which was a first in 40 years of going down the Saints.

PEH and Boufal to relax and show us what they can really do.

Tadic to continue to drive us up the wall instead of just shooting, and insisting on taking any penalties that come our way.

Romeu to serve 2 suspensions for 5 & 10 bookings before the amnesty dates.

impressive wins against the "top 6".

Klopp to continue being frustrated at not winning against us.

The usual numpties on here proclaiming that the likes of JWP, Stephens, Targett, McQueen, Gallagher, are not Premier League players, and never will be, because they aren't 30ish, don't have glamourous clubs on their CVs, exotic names, and we haven't piddled millions away on buying them.

And because of better performances on the pitch than last season, the whole stadium will be singing along to the "We are Southampton" song by Christmas. :D

I doubt it is possible to finish 11th with 60 points the arithmetic seems wrong to me

If we get 60 points it is likely that we will be higher in the table than last season

You could win the league with 40pts.

Of course by scoring the only goal of the season against Liverpool who would then be relegated if the other team drew all their matches

Would we be celebrating or would we be saying we've gone backwards?

Sky/BT will make a number of changes to the Christmas schedule so our already tough festive fixture list means we have to play 7 games in 3 days.

I don't think we'll be that different to last season, but will be slightly easier to judge our chances in games due to less rotation and the availability - hopefully! - of our two main goal threats. I'm going with 50 points, 10th. Which will displease just about everybody.

If we keep VVD and sign a CM , I'd raise my expectations significantly. Sell VVD and only sign a replacement and I think we'll spend a fair bit of the season languishing in the lower half, with a few anxious looks in the rear view mirror.

We will finish 6th, 7th or 8th, competing with Liverpool and Everton for those 3 places; we will be about ten points better than the team in ninth which will be West Ham or Palace. Liverpool will struggle defensively resulting in calls for them to meet whatever demands Saints have to get Van Dijk.

We will benefit from playing a more pressing game with Hojbjerg particularly thriving from playing that way, though Boufal will not and will continue to struggle.

Bournemouth will suffer some key injuries which will see them struggling against relegation alongside Burnley, Watford, Brighton and Huddersfield.

Jack Stephens will establish himself alongside Virgil who will knuckle down and produce even better performances than last season, while Tadic will return to his best and improve on that to become our star performer.

Sent from my Fusion5 using Tapatalk

I predict a similar league position - 8th most likely, but with an increased points tally. We will play more attractive football and score more goals (provided Gabbi and Charlie stay fit). Another cup run, preferably in the FA Cup, will follow and we will continue to be the number one club on the South Coast.

Outside of Saints:

City to win the league

Chelsea (2nd); Man Utd (3rd); Arsenal (4th)

Liverpool and Spurs to fight over 5th and 6th - Everton 7th

Relegated: Huddersfield; Brighton and Bournemouth

Pompey to just escape relegation from League 1

However, to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no idea how we will get on this season but what I do know is that I will support my club through thick and thin as I have done now for over 47 years !!

Lightweight! Credibility only comes with 50 years. Mind, that extra experience hasn't helped me come to any greater idea of how we'll get on!

And because of better performances on the pitch than last season, the whole stadium will be singing along to the "We are Southampton" song by Christmas. :D

Nooooh. I'm going to try and get Woolston Ferry or Farmer's Boy* going..

* Marching tune of the old Hampshire Regiment.

9th and a good run in both cups

it's going to be a tough season with other sides upgrading, however we look like going into this with a more positive manager, a proper striker and a stronger defence (i.e. full season of VVD with an improved Jack Stephens, a more confident Maya and the new boy).

Clubs around us seem to be investing in their squads whilst we seem happy with what we have. Without Vvd or a significant replacement I think 12-14th is realistic. I don't really understand why we aren't strengthening in areas that are in need of better players that we can all see. I can only assume it's due to the potential sale of the club

This my prediction.

Top 4

Man city

Man united

Arsenal

Chelsea

Saints - 12th

Relegated

Burnley

Brighton

Huddersfield

FA Cup - Man City

League Cup - Chelsea

Reckon Bournemouth is continue to impress

First manager to be sacked or resign - Mark Hughes

Anyone watching tonight might believe a relegation battle may be on the cards. Reality check for Les and the director dream team

It's possible. The warning signs were there for all to see last season.

I was hoping we would have a strong transfer window, obviously there is still time but it's disappointing that with just over a week to go until the season kicks off we've signed a 4th choice CB, who could potentially end up being 3rd choice when VvD goes.

We are desperate for a CM that is similar to Schneiderlin to partner Romeu. Davis, Hoj and Clasie are far too lightweight there.

With relegation now confirmed it's time to stop worrying about this coming season and start seriously planning for a promotion push next. It's going to be a long slog in the Championship we cannot afford to waste anymore time not planning for it. Talk of upcoming Premier League games is futile now, they're effectively friendly matches.