Prediction for this season

whelk

May be something similar out there but what is your prediction for this season? Not talking league position necessarily.

Mine is that Boufal is going to have an absolute storming season.

Got the same feeling, I think there is a lot of expectation on him because he had such a stop start season last year. Games will help him, but think this manager will get way more out of him than Puel.

Cedric to be one of the best RB's in the league, but us to leak a few goals while we score a few more. No doubt we'll still have a couple of result at hoome where we have about 70% of the ball, hammer the oppo for 80 mins, then get suckerpunched at the end 0-1...!

We won't get relegated, we won't go into administration. Everything else is a plus. (From the Dalek line of thought!)

My (more positive) predictions: Gabbiadini will become the most sought after striker in the Premier League next summer, Stephens will get rave reports and the media will tip him for England, VVD will be sold by the end of the window but not to Liverpool and (non-Saints) Everton will struggle for goals.

We'll also get at least a second season out of Pellegrino.:scared:

In 10 months time, lots of posters will be saying we need to upgrade our midfield, because it is too slow and predictable. Unless something exciting happens before the window shuts and we sign a first team ready DM and AM who are better than we have got.

We need to get out of the traps on the front foot and get up and around the top 6 by November. If we are struggling then, we really will struggle with a run of tougher games to come in November and December.

Fraser Forster to have a much better season, if we keep VVD. If we don't, our defence is going to be much weaker then last season and I think FF will lack confidence in who is in front of him. Stephens and Yoshida are not good enough to be first choice CB pairing if VVD does go.

So, we will hopefully be quicker getting the ball forward, stop farting about with possession for the sake of it, and get the midfield up and supporting the forward(s) whoever they are.

If we start well, I can see us being around and about 8th again.

Poor start, and the goals don't flow at home again, 14th.

Need to take both cups seriously, and play to win with strong line ups. No ****ing about with second string sides in either cup thank you. It's all we realistically have a sniff of doing well in after all !!

Reckon we can finish top half, probably no higher than 8th though potential to go higher if other teams falter (of which at least 1 'big' team normally under performs).

Performances both individually and as a team to hopefully improve. The likes of Forster, Davis, Long and Boufal should all be expected to contribute more this season than they did last and if Austin and Gabbi can stay injury free we should have enough in the way of goals. Think this could be the season JWP makes good on his potential and nails down a starting place too. Also think a lot depends on how the new manager does which at the moment is the big x-factor for me.

Cup runs would be good but are dependent on us taking them seriously - both the club and the players. No reason we can't emulate last season and perhaps even go one step further...

Really what i'd like to see most is us fostering a good team spirit again - that above all is what I think helped push us so high in previous seasons, whether it was us wanting to prove ourselves as Prem standard after coming back up, to proving all the naysayers wrong when they said we'd be in trouble after losing our best players and managers it was that sense of togetherness that kept pushing us on. That seems to have eroded away under Puel and we need to get that spark back. Hopefully Pellegrino can foster that type of spirit within the team.

9th place finish, but of course people will complain and we fire MP

Stephens becomes a top back & Forster has a great season

Boufal will be more under control, and we will see less of him going "full boufal" (I love that saying, whoever said it).

Unlike last season, we will score a representative # of goals for our 9th position

6th + good cup run

Boufal, Hojberg, Cedric, Gabbadini, VVD, Stephens and Romeu to have stormers

One key player to come in

Half full man me :)

Which one of the top 6 do you realistically think we could finish above? I guess Arsenal is the weakest but we finished 23 points from 6th last season and I can't really see how we are going to get much nearer this season.

A European place earned, whether from league position (I think 5th, most likely) or cup run.

Hojbjerg, Romeu & JWP to have magnificent seasons. Hoj in particular finds his shooting boots.

Barca buy Cedric: he becomes the first £100m defender.

Media lose interest in VvD.

Stephens becomes the new media darling doing a 'Sutton' & converting from centre back to striker due to early-season injuries to Austin, Gabbiadini & Long.

Boufal wins PL Goal of the Season for a 'full Boufal' run & shot-from-nowhere against Liverpool.

MP2 brings excitement & goals back to St Mary's.

I return from cloud-cuckoo land. :lol:

Well, some of it may come true...?

Without further transfers in I'll be a bit worried, we've added no one to the first team that finished last season so dismally. And it finished really dismally, sorry to remind everyone.

A lot hinges on keeping VVD as this allows the midfield a bit more freedom to venture forward.

Yes, I know it'll be Boufal's and Hojbjerg and Redmond's second season and they should be better, I bloody hope so.

We won't get to a cup final & we won't finish higher than 9th, but people will still claim it was a better season than under Claude.

Negatives : JWP will flatter to deceive, Charlie Austin will get injured. Personally, I think Gabbi may struggle for goals. Forster will be an average lump & Shane long will run around a lot and miss chance after chance.

Positives: Better football, Stephens will be player of the season. Davo will be consistent & play week in week out, OR will be even better than last season, he'll create more. I've got a gut feeling that Matt Targett will do well & Tadic will be more consistent. PEH to have a good year as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephens becomes the new media darling doing a 'Sutton' & converting from centre back to striker due to early-season injuries to Austin, Gabbiadini & Long.

Love it! (although I'm going to call it a "Warhurst" because it sounds slightly more dramatic ;) )

Forster to have an improved season and criticsm of him will die down.

Gabbi top scorer on 15, Charlie with 10

Boufal shows talent but still doesn't deliver

Good season for JWP. JS promising but gets found out more playing in a more attacking team.

8-12th

Which one of the top 6 do you realistically think we could finish above? I guess Arsenal is the weakest but we finished 23 points from 6th last season and I can't really see how we are going to get much nearer this season.

I think Liverpool actually aren't as good as they think they are and will be affected by European competition. On the other hand we won't have Europe. We were weaker than our combined talents last year but this year will be the opposite.

We won't get to a cup final & we won't finish higher than 9th, but people will still claim it was a better season than under Claude.

Negatives : JWP will flatter to deceive, Charlie Austin will get injured. Personally, I think Gabbi may struggle for goals. Forster will be an average lump & Shane long will run around a lot and miss chance after chance.

Positives: Better football, Stephens will be player of the season. Davo will be consistent & play week in week out, OR will be even better than last season, he'll create more. I've got a gut feeling that Matt Targett will do well & Tadic will be more consistent. PEH to have a good year as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't you contradicting yourself? "people will claim it was a better season than under Claude" - "Positives: Better football" surely thats what we want to see isn't it?

So you agree under Puel it was cr8p? :-)

Don't see how we will do any worse than last year, between injuries and fixture congestion (and only getting Gabbi in January), almost everything that could go wrong did. Plus we are the second youngest squad in the league, so we should see an improvement in many of the younger players. We bottomed out last year, won't finish any lower than 8th and will easily break 50 points.

As it currently stands:

A solid start until November where we will struggle until the end of Jan. Pick up a few wins in Feb and March to all but confirm safety and then have an awful end to the season. Finish anywhere between 15th - 8th (I would guess 11th)

Stephens struggles and people realise he's not the messiah as some are making out and we regret not buying a CB to play with VVD.

JWP shows glimpses of class, but continues to struggle with the pace of the PL and still doesn't find his best position.

Yoshida continues to make at least 1 glaring mistake a game.

If we bring in a couple of players (CB & DM), as I expect us to, and keep VVD:

Still struggle from November - Jan (as we do every season), but look better overall and finish comfortably 8th (possibly 7th if Everton don't adapt to the EL).

Front 3/4 look outstanding as they have a solid bank of 6 (4 defenders, 2 DM's) behind them giving them freedom to cause havoc (think Lallana, Jay-Rod, Lambert under Poch), we're very fluid in the final 3rd and it's entertaining and enjoyable to watch us again.

People saying 5th-7th are bonkers right? 8th-10th would be good for me based on current squad as it is, that league position and some improvement in the overall playing style will do me for the year. One thing to keep in mind is that we really benefited last year from a very weak "middle pack" in the league which is evidenced between the gap in points between us and Everton who were one spot above us in the table, and then comparing that to the gap between us and the bottom half of the league.

That, and I think the top 7 have really gotten a lot stronger already with their playing squads and I feel we will be playing catch up unless MP gets us really firing on all cylinders. Not really one to be pessimistic, just trying to keep some realism and I'd be very happy to be wrong and us finish a lot higher than I've stated above.

MaPe gone by Xmas, Les Reed comes in and steadies the ship as caretaker manager -in the process, laying to rest the ghost of all those Santa ClueLes jibes. Having convinced Thomas Tuchel to join in the January window, Les resumes his role as DoF and goes on to collect another mid-season net spend champion award after selling Shane Long to West Ham for a club record £40m.

We finish the season no higher than 8th.

#inleswetrust

Edited by shurlock

Virgil will pull his ponytail away from Klopps groin and get on with playing for us (especially as they'll f**k the CL up and not qualify next season).

We'll sign 2 more cracking players and finish 5th or 6th.

All players, with possibly the exception of JWP, will forever be self serving c***s...