Saints 0 FC Augsburg 4 - Match Thread

eurosaint

I've seen loads of videos during the pre season and our attacking players are hitting the back of the net quite frequently.

Then you start watching some pre season friendlies and the standards of our goalkeeper before you realise it's them who make our very own look good in training.

5 year contract ha ha.

Not great TBF, but this result means as much as the 3-0 away to St Etienne !

Saturday will be far more telling in terms of the best first 11, selected tactics and performance !

I've seen cr@p pre-seasons many times which did not result in bad seasons so keep the faith !

It might be a pre season friendly and the result is meaningless but **** me there were some serious concerns with that midfield and defence.

Reminded me of pre season a few years back when that centre half we had on loan from Reading - Bennett was it - played and we lost 4-1 at home the week before the season started.

Still it's ok cos Stephens and Yoshida together will sort it out apparently.

Some of you clowns need to grow a pair. Pre season is all about getting match fit, results are secondary. I can't remember how any pre seasons have gone & ive been watching since 1969. I'm sure there's a few sad sacks that'll know, but ffs, nobody cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of you clowns need to grow a pair. Pre season is all about getting match fit, results are secondary. I can't remember how any pre seasons have gone & ive been watching since 1969. I'm sure there's a few sad sacks that'll know, but ffs, nobody cares.

I'm not sure our coach will be thinking "at least they are fitter" after that.

On the basis of that, Forster still looks worryingly slow, Bednarek isn't anywhere near good enough, Pied ok, Yosh and Stephens too early in the air, Hojbjerg lightweight and error prone, DM without Romeu is a disaster area. Long isn't a winger. Austin too static.

Let's hope we're saving it for Saturday. This is depressing: Puel's lack of creativity without his reasonably strong defence.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This is accurate. The reality is that even the best manager can't turn a squad that is filled with average players into a decent side. MP has tried to open us up and make us more attacking but the problem is that a) our attacking players aren't good enough to create and take chances and b) playing a more expansive style our weak CB and DM (poor Romeu) areas are horribly exposed.

This has got to be the worst/most complacent pre season I can remember. I thought last year was bad but at least we brought a few players. This summer our business has been dreadful and even if we address the problem areas now we've left it very late. My concern is that the club hierarchy genuinely believe we've got a quality squad when clearly it is desperately lacking in some areas.

Tonight and Saturday should have been about fine adjustments and getting the team used to playing the manager wants , so I was surprised with tonight's starting eleven , very experimental at this point ???
If it was a final audition for Bednarek, he failed.

I hope Saturday's team is something like

Forster (as no alternative)

Cedric/Pied Yoshida Stephens Bertrand

Romeu Davis

Tadic JWP Boufal

Gabbiadini

Wasn't that bothered about the first half, the game was even and we should have been ahead.

However the second half was diabolical. Simply put, the shape and the way we pressed was terrible and we looked too scared to put in a tackle.

Two goals from set pieces (one was second phase) and two from NO closing down in our own half!

A few things to take from this, without Romeu, neither Clasie or Holberg look like they will be anything more than average. And I used to like Hol, but he's simply an average player who lets games pass him by. He may be young but he's not technically gifted enough or confident enough.

JWP was our best player, he gambled and was on the end of things, unlucky not to score.

Pied was shocking, some tackles but he's awful at closing down space.

Austin/Gabbi - both didn't get a touch most of the time.

Bedanek - NOT ready or close to ready.

McQueen - bang average, always will be.

Redmond, one nice shot but simply looking for a move you can tell.

I'll say this, the VVD situation has spread to our better players, the likes of Redmond/Tadic/Bertrand are all itching to move you can tell and the whole situation is toxic. I'm beyond caring where he goes, but simply put we need 11 men and a squad that fights even in friendlies. Not one that couldn't give a crap what the result is.

When fans turn up in the rain to watch you - put some effort in at least.

We need that £60m from the sale of VVD to reinvest in the squad, we're fine on strikers, but badly need new blood at CB/CM, and I hope we can get rid of Clasie and unless Hol improves dramatically he's a goner too.

My issue with Saints now is that we have no match winners anymore and with our team being so average in most positions other than Tadic/Gabbi/Austin/Romeu/Bertrand - Then we are far too light.

This is accurate. The reality is that even the best manager can't turn a squad that is filled with average players into a decent side. MP has tried to open us up and make us more attacking but the problem is that a) our attacking players aren't good enough to create and take chances and b) playing a more expansive style our weak CB and DM (poor Romeu) areas are horribly exposed.

This has got to be the worst/most complacent pre season I can remember. I thought last year was bad but at least we brought a few players. This summer our business has been dreadful and even if we address the problem areas now we've left it very late. My concern is that the club hierarchy genuinely believe we've got a quality squad when clearly it is desperately lacking in some areas.

I presume that you are a very young man ?

Why bother signing Badnerak - carbon copy of Gardos.

Exactly what I thought (except he might actually be worse).

What did you make of the tactics and formation/structure, especially second half? My description at times would be 'headless under 8s meet grown up team'. You can see why VvD wants better players signed. It's interesting how decent, but not great defenders find it quite easy to nullify Tadic and Boufal, that showed against ASSE too, even though we won.

It was nice to see Yoshida play some decent through balls and not so nice to see we actually have created very little for the centre forward, whoever that might be.

Saturday will be interesting.

The kit looks good; anyone think Keegan would fancy a run out in it?

Nothing to really suggest anything has changed from last season, and why have we not added,are the board playing a dangerous game where they expected us to be sold by now so were hoping the new owners would add funds?

I am always optimistic but to go into this season looking the same way as last feels with with dread at what might happen if we do not come good

That needs to be a blip - players looked unfit and not bothered. Didn't look like scoring and defensively weak, plus lightweight all over the park. If that is our standard even buying messi won't help. Let's see what they do vs Seville but can't see how anyone saw any positives in any of that.

Brilliant result for Saints. The perfect result to show we need signings, and still with a month to sign them. Better now than getting smashed by Huddersfield on the 27th August when it's too late to do much about it! :lol: #positivity

Wasn't that bothered about the first half, the game was even and we should have been ahead.

However the second half was diabolical. Simply put, the shape and the way we pressed was terrible and we looked too scared to put in a tackle.

Two goals from set pieces (one was second phase) and two from NO closing down in our own half!

A few things to take from this, without Romeu, neither Clasie or Holberg look like they will be anything more than average. And I used to like Hol, but he's simply an average player who lets games pass him by. He may be young but he's not technically gifted enough or confident enough.

JWP was our best player, he gambled and was on the end of things, unlucky not to score.

Pied was shocking, some tackles but he's awful at closing down space.

Austin/Gabbi - both didn't get a touch most of the time.

Bedanek - NOT ready or close to ready.

McQueen - bang average, always will be.

Redmond, one nice shot but simply looking for a move you can tell.

I'll say this, the VVD situation has spread to our better players, the likes of Redmond/Tadic/Bertrand are all itching to move you can tell and the whole situation is toxic. I'm beyond caring where he goes, but simply put we need 11 men and a squad that fights even in friendlies. Not one that couldn't give a crap what the result is.

When fans turn up in the rain to watch you - put some effort in at least.

We need that £60m from the sale of VVD to reinvest in the squad, we're fine on strikers, but badly need new blood at CB/CM, and I hope we can get rid of Clasie and unless Hol improves dramatically he's a goner too.

My issue with Saints now is that we have no match winners anymore and with our team being so average in most positions other than Tadic/Gabbi/Austin/Romeu/Bertrand - Then we are far too light.

I pretty much agree with all of this, unfortunately.

Romeu Davis

Tadic JWP Boufal

Gabbiadini

Jwp was ****ing dreadful.

It might be a pre season friendly and the result is meaningless but **** me there were some serious concerns with that midfield and defence.

Reminded me of pre season a few years back when that centre half we had on loan from Reading - Bennett was it - played and we lost 4-1 at home the week before the season started.

That wasn't pre-season.

It was the opening game of the 07/08 season and Palace thumped us 4-1. We followed that up 2 days later by losing 2-1 at Peterborough in the League Cup.

Well that was terrible.

Highlighted weakness which, for me, is a lack of physical presence down the spine of the team.

Without VVD, which we have to plan for, we need a big imposing centre back and a big imposing DM.

Sell VVD (and one of Clasie or Hojbjerg), bring in Hoedt and break the bank and bring in Danilo Pereira.

Imagine this line up:

Forster

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand

Romeu Pereira

Redmond JwP Tadic

Gabbiadini

Brilliant result for Saints. The perfect result to show we need signings, and still with a month to sign them. Better now than getting smashed by Huddersfield on the 27th August when it's too late to do much about it! [emoji38] #positivity
I won't be surprised if we lose to Uddersfield on the 27th since we'll be tired after playing them the day before! [emoji6]

Well that was terrible.

Highlighted weakness which, for me, is a lack of physical presence down the spine of the team.

Without VVD, which we have to plan for, we need a big imposing centre back and a big imposing DM.

Sell VVD (and one of Clasie or Hojbjerg), bring in Hoedt and break the bank and bring in Danilo Pereira.

Imagine this line up:

Forster

Romeu Pereira

Redmond JwP Tadic

Gabbiadini

Can we have Carvalho, please?

I agree but the frustrations stem from last seasons weaknesses that haven't been addressed. We ended the season poorly and no matter who the manager is it's going to be a struggle with virtually the same squad. But it could all be different on the 1st day if the season.

I am a little baffled by the midfield play today. My only conclusion is that MP was trying another formation/tactic, since that is what preseason is for. I know we play better than that. I dont think you can make much judgement about the defenders or forward play today because the center field was so bad.

Well that was terrible.

Imagine this line up:

Forster

Romeu Pereira

Redmond JwP Tadic

Gabbiadini

I dont like to imagine any formation that has Forster as our last line of defence.

The annoying thing is that we are only about 3 players away from a really impressive starting 11. The lack of investment in the first 11 over the last couple of years has been ridiculous. Yoshida, Pied, Targett, McQueen, PEH, Clasie, and Long should be nowhere near the staring 11.

Got to hope it's just pre season stuff and take heart from the fact that even Bayern Munich can lose 0-4 at home pre season. I'm sure they will still win the Bundesliga and we will finish in the top half.

Yes results can be brushed under the carpet ( at your peril ) however the performance, playing style, tactics and organisation were absolutely woeful. What on earth we have been working on in training I dread to think !

When the player receiving the ball instantly has no one from his team with 20 yards of him literally all the time you have a huge problem. You can say 'it's just a friendly' but if it ain't all right on the night don't be surprised.

Complacency will potentially make things worse...

Bury your head in the sand if you like but that was seriously awful .....

Romeu Davis

Tadic JWP Boufal

Gabbiadini

Final audition, blimey. 4 pre-season games was it and written off already?

We have such a lack of mobility and strength in central midfield, everyone has been able to see it for ages, it is amazing that the club don't seem to. We just chase shadows in this area of the pitch and are so easy to bypass. It is also why we can't execute an effective press and probably why Puel didn't bother trying.