Saints 0 FC Augsburg 4 - Match Thread

eurosaint

I gave up going to friendlies a few years ago. There seems to be no correlation between friendly results and subsequent league results and performances are often, like this one, a mishmash of several substitutions from which I find it difficult to draw any firm conclusions. For instance we won our previous match 3-0 and lost this one 4-0, with quite similar performances.

The way I see it, after that performance a lucky 0-0 draw at home to Swansea is a bonus. So it's a win win. Always look on the bright side of life, give a little whistle. At least we're not skates. Is it crap or carp?

I gave up going to friendlies a few years ago. There seems to be no correlation between friendly results and subsequent league results and performances are often, like this one, a mishmash of several substitutions from which I find it difficult to draw any firm conclusions. For instance we won our previous match 3-0 and lost this one 4-0, with quite similar performances.

For me it highlights how average our squad is. Let's not kid ourselves, we played Augsburg not a top European team.

A lot of the bad pre season's in the past were at least partly blooming in new players. Koeman almost built a new first team because the board sold all of ours. The way I see it is from the beginning of last season we've lost our 2 first choice centre backs and an attacking bench player in jrod without replacing.

tbh I would like us to try a 343 formation, he used it at his previous club and Chelsea and Spurs played very well when they used it and I wouldn't be surprised if a few more clubs start using that formation. That will allow us to offload a few of our defensive midfielders ( which we have far to many of ) and get in a good box-box type. After last season we needed new blood and a new style/formation, we are still that team from last season who looked lost.

For me it highlights how average our squad is. Let's not kid ourselves, we played Augsburg not a top European team.

You may be right but that's a conclusion that could be drawn from last season's performances since the squad is largely the same. I personally wouldn't know what to make of tonight's performance.

Just back from the game ....what the hell was that?

We were good for the first 3 minutes, had a goal attempt .... then just recycled the ball for 85 minutes, completely outplayed by our visitors, then only starting trying again with 2 mins left.

Those who played well .... none

Those who were poor ...everyone

A championship side would have beaten us tonight.

17th says Dalek! We'll be lucky to get that.

Its only a pre season game, but getting stuffed at home does give indications of where we are at and what we have. It's a long season, plenty of time for the side to come together, but unless Hoj comes good we still have a huge gaping hole in the most important area of the pitch for another season. The club needs to stop simply seeing gaps in a 25 man squad and start seeing where players are not up to the very high standards we have set in recent years.

Edited by Chez

What a totally inept performance. One of the most boringly frustrating matches I've seen in a long time. This was supposed to be a bargain buy one, get one free arrangement, but even if this was the free game, we have been overcharged. Play like this on Saturday and we will be regally spanked by Seville.

I'm concerned that Pellegrino hasn't done enough research into last season's matches, or he would have been able to have more idea of what combinations of players gel together and which don't. Earlier there was a makeshift look to the back four, which was exposed enough to ship two goals. Stephens and Yoshida are more solid from their understanding of each other's game, but separate them and you have the appearance of two strangers at the moment. The midfield had some muscle to it with Romeu and Hojbjerg, but lacked the guile that Tadic or Boufal could bring. Having taken off both Romeu and Hojbjerg in the second half we totally lacked muscle and size with Clasie and Davis, replacing the bulldogs with a pair of terriers.

Yes, Pellegrino has to experiment in pre-season to work out his best options, but this performance will have probably left him with more questions than answers. I don't think that there were more than a couple of players who earned praise for their efforts this evening. Oh, and Forster was woeful, although the defence in front of him didn't help. We need a lump in midfield like Wanyama and either Virgil or his equivalent as the defensive rock.

I'm not massively worried about this, as the team that started wont be the one that starts vs Swansea. However, having watched every game last season, i still maintain that the players let Puel down big time, and then used him as the scapegoat. Our team is simply overrated and we have far too many average players in midfield, which is unfortunately the heartbeat of the team. MoPe has a HUGE job on his hands to get this team playing as a team. Things have not been helped by VVD, who has shown the club a complete lack of respect and given the new manager a headache right away. He's completely disrupted pre season plans and IMO distracted our board from more important issues, like signing players. If we don't bring in a few gems, you have to seriously question recruitment and LR. V grateful for what they have brought the club but this really is make or break for them. Anything less than 8th place and they should walk. MoPe has asked for 3 new signings, and the board need to deliver on them, and quickly. The take over hasn't helped in that regard. They wanted to steady the ship and sell, but what they got was something completely different. A team that is standing still, which in this league, means going backwards.

Top after first three games. You heard it here first!

Any ideas LeG on the positions of the three new players that Mp would like to strengthen?

Wasn't that bothered about the first half, the game was even and we should have been ahead.

However the second half was diabolical. Simply put, the shape and the way we pressed was terrible and we looked too scared to put in a tackle.

Two goals from set pieces (one was second phase) and two from NO closing down in our own half!

A few things to take from this, without Romeu, neither Clasie or Holberg look like they will be anything more than average. And I used to like Hol, but he's simply an average player who lets games pass him by. He may be young but he's not technically gifted enough or confident enough.

JWP was our best player, he gambled and was on the end of things, unlucky not to score.

Pied was shocking, some tackles but he's awful at closing down space.

Austin/Gabbi - both didn't get a touch most of the time.

Bedanek - NOT ready or close to ready.

McQueen - bang average, always will be.

Redmond, one nice shot but simply looking for a move you can tell.

I'll say this, the VVD situation has spread to our better players, the likes of Redmond/Tadic/Bertrand are all itching to move you can tell and the whole situation is toxic. I'm beyond caring where he goes, but simply put we need 11 men and a squad that fights even in friendlies. Not one that couldn't give a crap what the result is.

When fans turn up in the rain to watch you - put some effort in at least.

We need that £60m from the sale of VVD to reinvest in the squad, we're fine on strikers, but badly need new blood at CB/CM, and I hope we can get rid of Clasie and unless Hol improves dramatically he's a goner too.

My issue with Saints now is that we have no match winners anymore and with our team being so average in most positions other than Tadic/Gabbi/Austin/Romeu/Bertrand - Then we are far too light.

Hard to argue with any of that.

A lot of the bad pre season's in the past were at least partly blooming in new players. Koeman almost built a new first team because the board sold all of ours. The way I see it is from the beginning of last season we've lost our 2 first choice centre backs and an attacking bench player in jrod without replacing.

Maybe we should get Tim Flowers back on the coaching staff to help with that? Craig Gardner CDAJFU in that department?

Difficult to read much into that, looked like we were trying a few things out and giving chances to some fringe players.

There was the odd flash of decent stuff, but hopefully we'll see a much better performance on Saturday with what you'd expect to be pretty close to our first choice team.

Mate he was terrible. That finish from the cross was awful.

Sorry I have to take issue with that, from my seat in the ground the excellent cross from Targett had the trajectory and pace to be headed, which JWP was ready and set to do, then the ball height just died. His feet were too far forward to kick, the only thing that he was going to head that in with was his old chap.......... I don't think I know any gentleman who would willingly boldly thrust his Wedding Vegetables in the direction of a relatively solid object moving at pace towards that particular department, unless it was going to save his life: possibly score a goal in a friendly game?

Terrible! Ali bloody Dia was terrible

We finished 8 points above relegation last year and have got weaker as a squad.

The board are playing a massive gamble that the problem last year was purely down to the manager...

And it's no coincidence that the remaining figure is Eric Black....which I maintain has more of a say in training,tactics and team selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having watched last night and several videos of pre season Saints in your. Apart from anything else - and there are lots is issues; the players look far too comfortable and 'relaxed'

The pace and movement is too slow and the aggression is rather errrr pink!

They deserve a rocket up their ass and double training until an improvement is seen.

As for FF the fact we still evidently have no alternative to him is criminal, his 'coach' (what the hell does he do all day) should be given his cards, it's a joke that he is still getting away with FFs performances.

Sorry bit of a moan but really, we are just coasting to mediocrity....

Might be a good thing that we got a hiding in this friendly.

We seem to have spent the summer drifting outside of the managerial appointment.

That's the only positive I can take. Sometimes it can be good to lose a few in pre-season to stop any complacency, underline signings needed and show which players cope under pressure.

I think it was the Poortlivet season where we smashed several weak teams in pre-season then, when the real event started, fell to pieces.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Puel did wonders with the squad. After watching a re run of the EFL cup final where we were superb. The difference a goal scorer made to us. We have a change of manager who has to try and do as well as the last man, not a hope in my opinion.The spine of our team is poor and sadly it is going to be a tough season.

Unil we find some midfielders who can add goals to the tem to take the pressure off the forwards we are in the mire

Wasn't that bothered about the first half, the game was even and we should have been ahead.

However the second half was diabolical. Simply put, the shape and the way we pressed was terrible and we looked too scared to put in a tackle.

Two goals from set pieces (one was second phase) and two from NO closing down in our own half!

A few things to take from this, without Romeu, neither Clasie or Holberg look like they will be anything more than average. And I used to like Hol, but he's simply an average player who lets games pass him by. He may be young but he's not technically gifted enough or confident enough.

JWP was our best player, he gambled and was on the end of things, unlucky not to score.

Pied was shocking, some tackles but he's awful at closing down space.

Austin/Gabbi - both didn't get a touch most of the time.

Bedanek - NOT ready or close to ready.

McQueen - bang average, always will be.

Redmond, one nice shot but simply looking for a move you can tell.

I'll say this, the VVD situation has spread to our better players, the likes of Redmond/Tadic/Bertrand are all itching to move you can tell and the whole situation is toxic. I'm beyond caring where he goes, but simply put we need 11 men and a squad that fights even in friendlies. Not one that couldn't give a crap what the result is.

When fans turn up in the rain to watch you - put some effort in at least.

We need that £60m from the sale of VVD to reinvest in the squad, we're fine on strikers, but badly need new blood at CB/CM, and I hope we can get rid of Clasie and unless Hol improves dramatically he's a goner too.

My issue with Saints now is that we have no match winners anymore and with our team being so average in most positions other than Tadic/Gabbi/Austin/Romeu/Bertrand - Then we are far too light.

Great post, couldnt agree more - think if we struggle first few games things could get quite bad quite quickly. no team spirit, no leaders, no new blood to freshen it up ...

I watched about 5-10min online, including their first goal.

Even in that short amount of time, we gave the ball away loads. I am guessing it didn't improve much!

I'm not really sure how I feel going into this season. I still feel the board will deliver the goods and add a few more new faces before the transfer window shuts, I don't think we are a million miles away from having a good squad to be fair.

Obviously the VVD situation could do with being sorted sooner rather than later, I don't expect to see him playing for us again but equally I don't see him leaving for anything less than a huge fee. So in the end he may have to swallow his pride and get on with it.

Puel did wonders with the squad. After watching a re run of the EFL cup final where we were superb. The difference a goal scorer made to us. We have a change of manager who has to try and do as well as the last man, not a hope in my opinion.The spine of our team is poor and sadly it is going to be a tough season.

Unil we find some midfielders who can add goals to the tem to take the pressure off the forwards we are in the mire

Beginning to dawn on you is it, that a manager can only do so much with what he has available.

What has happened to Hoj? I'll not forget his debut when he came on and changed the game. Since then his pass completion must be about 5%! Seems odd that someone seemingly so talented can lose the ability to do the basics.

If he was really that good Bayern wouldn't have sold him to us for 11 million or whatever it was. You get what you pay for.

If he was really that good Bayern wouldn't have sold him to us for 11 million or whatever it was. You get what you pay for.

Not really in the weird world of transfers fees crap players can go for high fees and good ones can be bargains. We could all list lots of players who seem over priced or under priced.

Would like to see Clasie given an extended run in the team - don't think he was given much of a chance with Puel

I'd actually like to see Clasie tried in a more advanced role (with 2 big DM's behind him), not sure if it'd work, but it's not working in a deeper role currently. Thinking Steve Davis under Poch type role.

Best thing that could have happened - will have shattered complacency. Reed has done the right things on VVD but wrong if it has taken the eye of the ball of incoming players that MP has requested. Sounds like we need to bring someone in to help Les with transfers and get the 3 players MP wants over the line before the Swansea game. VVD is a sideshow - we need a CB anyway, DMC and AMC - that was the case in May and still is now. VVD can sort himself out - he and his agent made this mess - and compete for a place when fit.

Bednarak clearly needs a loan to Championship or League 1. PEH may benefit from a short loan as well to restore confidence and midfield needs a shake up to play the way MP wants.

What has happened to Hoj? I'll not forget his debut when he came on and changed the game. Since then his pass completion must be about 5%! Seems odd that someone seemingly so talented can lose the ability to do the basics.

Honestly I think for a young man he is trying too hard, he started well dropped out then seemed to lose his way a little, thought he was a bit more controlled with Romeu alongside him. At the end of last season you could see he was beating himself up when he made another silly mistake, think he is the kind of player who needs a steady run in the team to build himself up. Unfortunately Premier League football does not allow too much charity so he isn't getting a chance to do that, so in an effort to get picked again he is probably over thinking everything instead of relaxing.............. That said we are quite charitable with Tadic and his "I must beat everyone on the pitch at least twice before I take a shot, and gesticulate at everyone on the pitch and the seagulls over head when he loses the ball yet again".

Wasn't a big fan of Puel but I think it's starting to dawn on many that it's the average quality we have at midfield and CB which condemns Saints to a continuing decline, unless something is done in the transfer market pronto! Another thing which seems obvious to me, the people who think JWP is going to morph into a star "10" or wide right player are going to be disappointed - likewise our midfield, bar Romeu, is awful and will be cut apart by the leading Prem teams. I know the VVD situation is a distraction and a hurdle for Les and co. but there has been so much time previously to put midfield and CB right in the wake of the exits of Morgan, Vic, Mane, Fonte etc.