Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

If that doesn't sum up where we are(and the direction we are going) then what does?

Max of three of those make our best XI.

Only one good, young British player. Too many obvious squad fillers.

Out of interest, last 10 sales for a fee are:

Jay Rod

Mane

Pelle

Wanyama

Fonte

Juanmi

Schneiderlin

Clyne

Cork

(Then all the Meltdown summer exits)

Bednarek

Hassen

Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

Gabbiadini and Redmond are the only relatively successful signings. Boufal and Hojbjerg have it all to prove this season, and seemingly some potential to succeed, but I wouldn't hold your breath. From everything I've seen of Hojbjerg, he's a turkey.

What's most depressing is that, according to the books, we've pretty much reinvested all the monies we've received for substantially better players on this shower of crushing mediocrity.

What a waste.

If there was anyone else at the club with power who actually knew anything about football, Les would've been made to walk the plank (and take Ross Wilson with him) when he declared that we had the best midfield options in the league.

We have Romeu and Davis as the only two who can consistently hold their own at this level. And that's being generous.

Don't really need to do an unfair comparison to make it worse than it is now do we.

Jay Rod - not replaced/Gallacher

Mane - Redmond and Boufal

Pelle - Austin/Gabbi

Wanyama - Holberg?

Fonte - Not replaced/Stephens

Juanmi - Do we even need to replace him?/Sims

Schneiderlin - Romeu

Clyne - Cedric/Pied

Cork - Clasie

Isn't that a fairer way of doing it? Not saying its better, but the players have pretty much been replaced apart from this Year's departures. Whether or not they are of the same quality, is another question, but anybody who thought a like for like replacement for Mane would come to Southampton...well, go get your head tested. We help the players progress...Its kinda our entire business model...

That's pretty depressing reading in all honesty.

Not really because you are not looking at events on the same timeline. Had we been ablate look back at our reactions when the last ten players sold were first signed nobody had heard of any of them. WE turned them into saleable assets and there's every chance we might do so again with our latest lot.

There is now unfortunately no way we can do a meaningful comparison between the value of the ten newest signings and those who have been sold when they were our newest signings (or academy products).

So yes, it is easy to say "Oh my gosh!" but let's wait and look back in 5 years time.

Bednarek

Hassen

Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

If that doesn't sum up where we are(and the direction we are going) then what does?

Jay Rod

Mane

Pelle

Wanyama

Fonte

Juanmi

Schneiderlin

Clyne

Cork

A fair comparison would be the last ten signings for a transfer with the last 10 sales for a fee. That would add VVD to the incoming list. Also, didn't we get a fee for McCarthy and Turnbull.

Bednarek

Hassen

Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

The only regular from that list is Gabby and even now he has stopped scoring.

Redmond is hit and miss,

as for the rest it's laughable.

Staggering how we have sold so many regulars that played and lifted the team.

Gabbiadini and Redmond are the only relatively successful signings. Boufal and Hojbjerg have it all to prove this season, and seemingly some potential to succeed, but I wouldn't hold your breath. From everything I've seen of Hojbjerg, he's a turkey.

What's most depressing is that, according to the books, we've pretty much reinvested all the monies we've received for substantially better players on this shower of crushing mediocrity.

What a waste.

If there was anyone else at the club with power who actually knew anything about football, Les would've been made to walk the plank (and take Ross Wilson with him) when he declared that we had the best midfield options in the league.

We have Romeu and Davis as the only two who can consistently hold their own at this level. And that's being generous.

Regardless of whether Les has done a good job or not (which looking at the transfers since a well know manager or over ambitious chairman was in charge haven't been that strong), he is absolutely untouchable as a vice chairman now. He's basically accountable to himself. We will see how the next couple of weeks go before the end of the transfer window but the self belief of the club may well be well ahead of the reality of the quality in the playing squad. As well as Ralph, I bet some of the board haven't even been watching football properly for longer than a few years. They obviously listen to Ralph but forget that many of us have been watching top level for decades and know that the squad isn't at the level that they want to tell us it is.

Bednarek

Hassen

Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

Seems a pretty irrelevant way of listing them.

There are 4 free transfers there, several players were specifically signed as cover, some very short term cover, not sure why you would criticise the club for that. Every club does that, Man City signed Richard Wright and he never played a game.

Then Pied and Bednarek have had zero chance to do anything, Bednarek looks like cover and Pied got a bad injury within weeks of signing (but again was FREE) . So we are actually down to what 4 players on your list that at a stretch are SUPPOSED to be first teamers, Redmond was very good, as was Gabbi from the half a season we got to see. Hojberg and Boufal were inconsistent but are clearly talented, and it's just ONE season for two young players in their first season in the country and the league. Not to mention Boufal started the season injured and picked up another half way through.

So we signed 4 fairly young, talented players, none of whom have had more than one season (two barely had half), two were good and two were inconsistent. OMG sack all the coaches how terrible.

Our last 9 meaningful signings, i.e players that were clearly signed to challenge for the first team spots. -

Gabiadini

Boufal

Hojberg

Redmond

Van Dijk

Clasie

Romeu

Cedric

Austin

Hardly bad now is it. Austin scoring 1 in 2, Romeu our most consistent player last year, Cedric wanted by Juve, £75 million rated VVD, Redmond who was raved about last year by the pundits and got in the England squad, Gabbi who came in and scored for fun. Leaving Clasie as a bit underwhelming (but hardly a bad signing) and then two young guys who were inconsistent, one who had a season blighted by injury. 6 successes out of 9, and no obvious terrible signings.

But of course we can come up with retarded ways of criticising the club over nothing. Seriously I do not get some people, why not be up front with your obvious club bashing agenda and that you are clearly being disingenuous to feed that agenda. Listing free transfers and loans FFS, could you get more stupid.

Edited by tajjuk

Bednarek

Hassen

Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

Jay Rod

Mane

Pelle

Wanyama

Fonte

Juanmi

Schneiderlin

Clyne

Cork

Cheers Leslie ;)

And yet, the acolytes still lap it up.

We have replaced nailed on starters like Fonte, Schneiderlin, Mane etc with players who aren't good enough to be auto picks, hence more games for the likes of Yoshida who was previously our 3rd CB and is currently our 1st.

Too many squad fillers (partly like Caceres due to bad sucession planning) and not enough signings who immediately lift the first XI, like Gabbiadini did.

A couple of years ago our best midfield 3 was Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis.

That is miles ahead of what we have now. Partly because signings like Clasie and Hojbjerg haven't been good enough to replace those players in the team every week.

Yoshida has always been a third choice centre back yet now is our first choice of those available. Why did we sign Bednarek who is clearly one for the future rather than someone earmarked to play every week?

I said it last season, and I will say it again. I think there should be quite a lot of pressure on Ross Wilson. Since he's take over from Mitchell, our last couple of windows have been weak (that's putting it politely). Admittedly some of the signings the club have bought in haven't 'hit the ground running' as they would have liked, but I feel as if the club have taken a huge step backwards over the last couple of years, in terms of scouting and being able to bring in quality.

Take Jan Bednarek as an example - He's just another depth signing. Yes, I know we sign players for the future, but we should have focused on bringing in a proven centre back such as Wesley Hoedt, who'd instantly add quality and competition to our squad.

It's not just about the individual quality of a given player...its laos about their ability and suitability to fit into what appears to be a VERY inflexible system of play. Fact is the team is not performing as a unit as effectively as the season we came up into the Prem IMO.

Disagree. You may as well include academy players who get a contract then. If we sign up 10 of them a season, our recent signings list looks poor. If we sign up none, it looks stronger.

I meant that if we sign 10 bad players who take roster spots it matters in a bad way.

Bednarek

Hassen

Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

Jay Rod

Mane

Pelle

Wanyama

Fonte

Juanmi

Schneiderlin

Clyne

Cork

Damning.

It's a depressing list, but also a deceptive one.

If we now sign ten players for £1 each, does that matter?

The point is that in footballing terms, we are signing bargain basement players, purely in the hope that they'll do well and we can flog them on. The club are taking the fans for a ride - our ambition is purely to make money. Full Stop.

The point is that in footballing terms, we are signing bargain basement players, purely in the hope that they'll do well and we can flog them on. The club are taking the fans for a ride - our ambition is purely to make money. Full Stop.

It's more likely to stop losing money rather than make it. Kat has made it clear she no longer feels she can fund the Club to move it forwards hence the search for an investor / new owner. In the meantime we are treading water and it's a very dangerous game as those around us invest to strengthen their teams and squads. I actually think the sale of VvD would be good in that respect as we will - hopefully - see a portion (I highly doubt it will be the full fee) reinvested into the squad. It is clearly much needed. Few would disagree with that I'm sure.

FTFY

Last 10 Squad Signings of any type (including Loans):

Bednarek

Hassen

Caceres

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

McCarthy

Pied

Taylor

Last 10 Squad Departures of any type (Including ALL Loans would make it ridiculous so just included players who I saw as part of the "first team squad" on matchdays):

Rodriguez

Isgrove

Martina

Reed

Caceres

Hassen

Fonte

McCarthy

Gaston Ramirez

Pellé

-------------

Last 10 Signings for more than £5m:

Bednarek

Gabbiadini

Boufal

Hojbjerg

Redmond

van Dijk

Romeu

Clasie

Bertrand

Mané

Last 10 Sales for more than £5m:

Jay Rod

Mane

Pelle

Wanyama

Fonte

Schneiderlin

Clyne

Chambers

Best get used to it as it's as it has always been and always will be and a bunch of entitled millennials having a hissy fit ain't going to change it.

Oh **** right off you patronising cnt. People want to see their team do well. Everyone in the country wants to see their team do well.

The millenials (I'm 26 btw) began most of their match-going experience with mates in their teenage years with Saints right in the **** so believe me, we know that it could be worse - and we don't need a ****ing lecture from our own about how apparently in your day you loved nothing more than watching Saints play in front of three men and a dog on Bitterne Park and we're lucky to even be in the football league and somehow we're supposed to balance cheering for our team to win with literally not caring whatsoever if the good players who are going to make our team more likely to win are sold.

Old ****s who paid for their season ticket off a paper round calling the youngsters entitled :lol:

We have replaced nailed on starters like Fonte, Schneiderlin, Mane etc with players who aren't good enough to be auto picks, hence more games for the likes of Yoshida who was previously our 3rd CB and is currently our 1st.

Too many squad fillers (partly like Caceres due to bad sucession planning) and not enough signings who immediately lift the first XI, like Gabbiadini did.

A couple of years ago our best midfield 3 was Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Davis.

That is miles ahead of what we have now. Partly because signings like Clasie and Hojbjerg haven't been good enough to replace those players in the team every week.

Yoshida has always been a third choice centre back yet now is our first choice of those available. Why did we sign Bednarek who is clearly one for the future rather than someone earmarked to play every week?

What do all of these fantastic players have in common? None of them wanted to stay and play for Saints.

Slightly concerning thing for me is that we're criticizing signings of the likes of Clasie Hojbjerg, also Boufal to an extent and this summer (as of now) we haven't even signed that sort of player.

The three above all came into the first team reckoning and played a good number of games with sporadic success - Bednarek may not even make the matchday squad that often, and he's all we've done right now

Oh **** right off you patronising cnt. People want to see their team do well. Everyone in the country wants to see their team do well.

The millenials (I'm 26 btw) began most of their match-going experience with mates in their teenage years with Saints right in the **** so believe me, we know that it could be worse - and we don't need a ****ing lecture from our own about how apparently in your day you loved nothing more than watching Saints play in front of three men and a dog on Bitterne Park and we're lucky to even be in the football league and somehow we're supposed to balance cheering for our team to win with literally not caring whatsoever if the good players who are going to make our team more likely to win are sold.

Old ****s who paid for their season ticket off a paper round calling the youngsters entitled :lol:[/quote

Of course everyone likes to see our team doing well and in the nearly 60 years I have been supporting the team the last few years has been the best it has been Twice in Europe Top 8 Finishes and a Cup Final.

So whats your complaint do you really think the club can buy top class players and top class wages and more to the point do top class players really want to play for Southampton.

Through out Europe the Top Clubs from the large cities with large populations and a history of footballing success we are a small city with little success.

I have enjoyed following Southampton from the 1950s I have seen great players and seen great games I am happy to continue to support them but am fed up with people who just whinge and moan about everything if the team do not win most games we are doing much better than I thought possible when I was a young lad never dreaming that the best day of my life when we won the Cup in 1976 and that we would get to Div 1 in 1966

Football is a completion with other teams trying to beat us so it is not surprising that sometimes we lose more than we win and I look forward to another season and when we lose I will be ****ed off but that is football which is a funny old game

Slightly concerning thing for me is that we're criticizing signings of the likes of Clasie Hojbjerg, also Boufal to an extent and this summer (as of now) we haven't even signed that sort of player.

The three above all came into the first team reckoning and played a good number of games with sporadic success - Bednarek may not even make the matchday squad that often, and he's all we've done right now

Imagine he'll be on the bench for the first three games at least. Even if VVD does stay he hasn't played a competitive game since January and training separately for the first team squad who knows what his current fitness situation is. Rather worryingly were currently an injury away from a Stephens and Bednarek CB pairing.

Imagine he'll be on the bench for the first three games at least. Even if VVD does stay he hasn't played a competitive game since January and training separately for the first team squad who knows what his current fitness situation is. Rather worryingly were currently an injury away from a Stephens and Bednarek CB pairing.

Fair (and terrifying) point, but you know what I mean - Bednarek doesn't come with anywhere near the level of hope/excitement I felt when we signed likes of Boufal and Hoj. OK, they haven't worked out so well so far, but you knew they came with a rep as a really promising young talent. Bednarek hardly has that does he.

just plain weird how we have known since January that we absolutely needed a starting quality CB.....let alone the DM issue.

something is clearly going on at the club

just plain weird how we have known since January that we absolutely needed a starting quality CB.....let alone the DM issue.

something is clearly going on at the club

Yeah, they are trying to sell/ get investors. I think that is pretty clear and not some great mystery/ conspiracy.

Weird initial list which just underlines how sensible we are with transfers.

Hassen and Caceres: short term solutions for injury crises at reserve keeper and centre back, otherwise young players who already have first team experience and look like they have an upside, (McCarthy, Boufal, Hojbjerg, Pied), a keeper to fill the reserves' bench because you don't want to have to keep three top keepers happy (Taylor), and a couple of genuinely good hit-the-ground-running regular starters in Redmond and Gabbiadini.

Not to mention that our season basically only had one important game left when the last transfer window closed, so why rush to pay big money to achieve nothing (and we STILL finished as high as we were likely to come Jan 31).

I don't see the problem, unless someone's expecting us to shunt £150m on Pogba or something, in which case they're the problem.

Edited by The9

Yeah, they are trying to sell/ get investors. I think that is pretty clear and not some great mystery/ conspiracy.

Well if they are struggling to sell now, good luck when we are up to our arse in a relegation scrap. the clubs value will drop like a stone if it looks like we are going down, especially with all these players on nice big 5 year contracts.

Well if they are struggling to sell now, good luck when we are up to our arse in a relegation scrap. the clubs value will drop like a stone if it looks like we are going down, especially with all these players on nice big 5 year contracts.
It's ok Fat Sam will see us stay up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The fact is that every club has hit and miss signings. At least most of our still have potential. Moreover, the Prem is challenging and only a few players excel in it. Every club has the same issues. My concern is that the lack of depth in the squad makes it hard to drop players who are not on top form. I hope one or two of the home grown players really establish themselves this season to sort this out.