New Captain

SKD

Who should it be for the coming season? Even in the unlikely event that he stays, VvD should be stripped of this, due to his actions.

Steve Davis would be the obvious choice, but at his age, will he play week in week out? best keeping him Club / off field captain, or whatever his title is.

Yoshida is in with a chance, but the same could be said about him RE game time.

Personally, I'd go for Romeu - first name on the team sheet at the moment, and really led by example last year.

JWP is bound to be captain in due course, first of us, later of England but maybe Yoshida should come first, he was captain in the warm up on Wednesday I think but there were so many substitutions it was difficult to tell.

Yoshida. Contract expires in 2018, where is the new one?

The club and fans can't moan about players not showing loyalty if we're not prepared to do the same for a player who a) has been here a long time, b) doesn't kick up a fuss, c) is popular with the other players and d) stepped up excellently last season. Not to mention that he'd probably be worth £10m if we did sell him (if his contract wasn't expiring).

IMO, a captain has to be:

Professional

A regular starter, every week ideally

A leader on and off of the pitch

A role model to other players and to fans

Able to represent the brand commercially (e.g. marketing and promo work)

In a position on the field where they can influence things (why I rarely like GK's as captains)

Therefore, only Romeu and Bertrand fit the bill for me. If I had to pick, I'd pick Romeu.

Our captain should be one of our best players . Prowse , Yoshida and Romeu shouldnt be considered . Bertrand could but how long will he stick around ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Are you suggesting Romeu is not one of our best players? You are are`nt you? :mcinnes:

I was right in saying you are utterly clueless :smug:

JWP for me every day, he seems to be the only first team starter i feel wont jump ship as soon as a bigger club comes in and he has been here for years and years, be good for the club too to have a youth product as captain and even more so one who loves the club.

Davis - good candidate but he wont be around much longer, need to think longer term.

Romeu - again why not, think he'll be great, but he dont love the club and probs wont be here for long either.

Bertrand although he would be great for the role and is 27 so can wear the band for a while, does he want to stay at the club long term? i hope so, but for me, its got to be JWP as he could well be here for another 10 + years and he is getting better and better every season.

JWP for me every day, he seems to be the only first team starter i feel wont jump ship as soon as a bigger club comes in and he has been here for years and years, be good for the club too to have a youth product as captain and even more so one who loves the club.

Davis - good candidate but he wont be around much longer, need to think longer term.

Romeu - again why not, think he'll be great, but he dont love the club and probs wont be here for long either.

Bertrand although he would be great for the role and is 27 so can wear the band for a while, does he want to stay at the club long term? i hope so, but for me, its got to be JWP as he could well be here for another 10 + years and he is getting better and better every season.

If JWP develops into anything close to a top player, do you honestly think he'd stay with us?

Surely you'd want someone who is going to be the first name on the team sheet or likely to play every game, otherwise you'd just give it to Davis. JWP isn't the first name on the team sheet and if we sign a new CM, wouldn't get into the team.

Romeu would be the obvious choice, JWP in with a shout if he becomes a regular starter - almost guaranteed to be a future captain. Yoshida a possible candidate too.

My dark horse pick would be Tadic - has a few seasons under his belt now and the extra responsibility may bring out the best of him on the pitch. Certainly seems vocal enough anyway with his team mates :lol:

So was Kelvin before him. Seems a fairly meaningless title. They just get to organise the end-of-season party and attend social functions on behalf of the club.

Romeu for me.

Club captain is very much the "milk monitor" of a football club. No-one respects it.

Are you suggesting Romeu is not one of our best players? You are are`nt you? :mcinnes:

I was right in saying you are utterly clueless :smug:

The role that Romeu plays is high risk and he therefore picks up lots of yellows. No point having a captain who is always banned is it .

Don't let that stop you throwing your petty insults though [emoji4]

The role that Romeu plays is high risk and he therefore picks up lots of yellows. No point having a captain who is always banned is it .

Always banned..the only player with more league appearances than Romeu last season was Forster.

Every game where Davis or VVD didn't recently start Maya has been given thd armband so I would figure him. Pretty sure I saw Charlie Austin pass it on the other evening when he was subbed in the second half.

So that sticks a real left field one in there.

I wouldn't be opposed to Yoshida as captain. Comes across a real nice guy with a genuine sense of team player.

Always banned..the only player with more league appearances than Romeu last season was Forster.

Kermit... Kermit.... its not an insult its a fact... if you think that Romeu is always banned you did not watch much last season but i guess that explains the utterly clueless tag...

I wouldn't be opposed to Yoshida as captain. Comes across a real nice guy with a genuine sense of team player.

I'd still hope to find someone to upgrade him!

Sell Gardos, let Bednarek play in the U23s, and with VVD on 'strike', we'd then only have Stephens and Yoshida.

I was more pointing to the risk of being banned but I concede the point . Romeu doesn't strike me as a natural leader though .

Kermit... Kermit.... its not an insult its a fact... if you think that Romeu is always banned you did not watch much last season but i guess that explains the utterly clueless tag...
Were you not banned last season for constantly insulting and demeaning other posters ? You really have not learned have you .

You think he will play less this season? If his fit Romeu is the first name on the team sheet.....even more so if we aren't going to bringing in any more quality midfielders.

No, I do not think he will play less this season. Nor do I think our best players will get dropped from the squad what so ever after being very good in the previous game