Matt Targett,new 5 year deal...

saint lard

He's looked decent in the pre-season games that I watched. He set up two goals against St. Etienne.

(n.b. I missed Wednesday night's match).

he was turd on Wednesday night (he wasn't alone mind) the highlight was watching him have a 10 yard head start on the opposition winger and still somehow arrive second to the ball..

Slag off players for being disloyal. Slag off players for being loyal. Gotta love this place.

Yes super loyal signing a new long term and assumingly better paid contract. We can all praise his loyalty if Liverpool coming calling next season and Mat publicly proclaims he'd rather stay at saints.

Seriously, some of you w4nkers should consider giving up supporting Saints.

Exactly what I was thinking, whatever happens there always seems to be a 'slagging off ' session !

If Targett continues to improve then his value accrues with it and when tied to a longer term contract, we can benefit should he move on...

Not exactly rocket science !

Some news is better than no news but I'd rather see our issues addressed than a massive contract being given to a squad/back up player. Don't see MT being anything more than a steady back up left back for our profile of club. He's about as good as Pied but gets a better rep from fans as he supports Saints and didn't follow an unpopular manager into the club.

Exactly what I was thinking, whatever happens there always seems to be a 'slagging off ' session !

If Targett continues to improve then his value accrues with it and when tied to a longer term contract, we can benefit should he move on...

Not exactly rocket science !

Some just love to moan. Me? I'm pleased with this announcement

If it happens and anyone thinks saint lard is ITK, this Tweet pre-dated the thread...

TEAMtalk@TEAMtalkEXCLUSIVE: @SouthamptonFC are set to give Matt Targett a new five-year deal and set to be announced today. #saintsfc

It's happened....I didn't get if from your link you freak.....

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-08-04/matt-targett-new-deal-southampton-announcement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What instead of Redmond or McQueen....

Targett played best when RK used him as the left wing back in a 3-5-2. If we played that system again with Bertrand at CB then he'd be decent enough. He hasn't got the defensive solidity or the pace to play as a traditional left back in a flat back four or as a traditional left winger (as you say there's certainly no chance he'd be picked ahead of Redmond or Tadic). He's a solid back up defender at the moment and, without a sudden change in attributes (i.e. gaining an extra yard of pace), I personally can't see him being more than that at this level. Glad we've protected our investment but not quite sure why he's worth such a long deal on, presumably, significantly increased wages.

Targett played best when RK used him as the left wing back in a 3-5-2. If we played that system again with Bertrand at CB then he'd be decent enough. He hasn't got the defensive solidity or the pace to play as a traditional left back in a flat back four or as a traditional left winger (as you say there's certainly no chance he'd be picked ahead of Redmond or Tadic). He's a solid back up defender at the moment and, without a sudden change in attributes (i.e. gaining an extra yard of pace), I personally can't see him being more than that at this level. Glad we've protected our investment but not quite sure why he's worth such a long deal on, presumably, significantly increased wages.

Worth pointing out that Targett is two years younger than Jack Stephens and minus three long term loan deals to get experience.

I think despite what all the football manager playing experts know on here, people actually at the coal face of the game know he is better than most folks assume he is. It's whether in the next 5 years he can develop to a level that football people foresaw in him many years ago. Someone I know with personal knowledge of the game from being in the game, with no affiliation to Saints said who's the left back blonde lad in your academy, I could only think of Luke Shaw as he was our starlet at the time. "No not him, he's rubbish! Tall lad a bit gangly still needs to grow into his body" Matt Targett? "Yup he's the one - just watch him and give him time". At the time I don't think Matt had played a first team game.

Personally regardless of his comments I have never had worries when Matt is on the pitch, he is nowhere near as bad as some winkles on here like to make out.

I'm sure I remember hearing when Shaw came thru that there was another young left back (Targett) technically better than him but not as physically ready ? If im right Shaw still has only 1 or 2 assists and 0 goals to his name at United and had similar stats with us ? Anyway good luck to the lad Maya next up ? Then Les will trot out the we spent our money tieing down our best players line again !

I think despite what all the football manager playing experts know on here, people actually at the coal face of the game know he is better than most folks assume he is. It's whether in the next 5 years he can develop to a level that football people foresaw in him many years ago. Someone I know with personal knowledge of the game from being in the game, with no affiliation to Saints said who's the left back blonde lad in your academy, I could only think of Luke Shaw as he was our starlet at the time. "No not him, he's rubbish! Tall lad a bit gangly still needs to grow into his body" Matt Targett? "Yup he's the one - just watch him and give him time". At the time I don't think Matt had played a first team game.

Personally regardless of his comments I have never had worries when Matt is on the pitch, he is nowhere near as bad as some winkles on here like to make out.

This bit makes an other opinions your friend has rather suspect....

I'm sure I remember hearing when Shaw came thru that there was another young left back (Targett) technically better than him but not as physically ready ? If im right Shaw still has only 1 or 2 assists and 0 goals to his name at United and had similar stats with us ? Anyway good luck to the lad Maya next up ? Then Les will trot out the we spent our money tieing down our best players line again !

yes but full backs are expected to do that little thing called defending. I can't believe anyone would try to suggest Targett is better or even close to Luke Shaw.

You've said this before and I queried either what your mate thought of him now or who your mate was (as in was he a scout or the like, not his name as I wouldn't know him); I can't remember which and recollect receiving no answer from you. I think he shows no fluidity on the ball, his first touch is cumbersome, he's very slow, some of the body shapes he makes when he tackles and throws out a leg at right angles are almost distressing, he can't (mostly) dribble - I did see him cleverly knock it past a player once but that wasn't really a dribble even though it was a nice touch, he's very one-footed, he plays too many safe balls, is poor defensively and doesn't have that great a cross as he still seems mostly to 'spoon' it somewhat; and even when he was with the under 21s he struck me as very pedestrian. Unlike (pre-injury) Sims from a few years back. My question is do we see him as England's next left back (as Shaw might be and Bertrand, along with Rose, is)? So far, no. And I think for a team that continues to espouse its 'ambition', that is the minimum calibre of player we must have playing for us as the league is full of internationals of varying standards.

You've said this before and I queried either what your mate thought of him now or who your mate was (as in was he a scout or the like, not his name as I wouldn't know him); I can't remember which and recollect receiving no answer from you. I think he shows no fluidity on the ball, his first touch is cumbersome, he's very slow, some of the body shapes he makes when he tackles and throws out a leg at right angles are almost distressing, he can't (mostly) dribble - I did see him cleverly knock it past a player once but that wasn't really a dribble even though it was a nice touch, he's very one-footed, he plays too many safe balls, is poor defensively and doesn't have that great a cross as he still seems mostly to 'spoon' it somewhat; and even when he was with the under 21s he struck me as very pedestrian. Unlike (pre-injury) Sims from a few years back. My question is do we see him as England's next left back (as Shaw might be and Bertrand, along with Rose, is)? So far, no. And I think for a team that continues to espouse its 'ambition', that is the minimum calibre of player we must have playing for us as the league is full of internationals of varying standards.

And yet, somehow, he plays Premier League and International under 21 football. Makes you wonder what professionals see for n the lad that a punter like you can't, doesn't it?

I like the way we try to bring through our own players. Whilst we've undoubtedly brought through some quality in recent years, are the likes of Targett, Seager and Stephens really good enough? We still need a couple of quality signings to finish top half again. It's been very quiet so far, hoping Les has a VVD replacement and DM lined up at the very least.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

And yet, somehow, he plays Premier League and International under 21 football. Makes you wonder what professionals see for n the lad that a punter like you can't, doesn't it?

Thing is, he doesn't play PL very regularly does he? He doesn't get a sniff unless Bertrand is injured. It's one thing to be a cover player in the PL and quite another to be a consistent starter. So far, MT hasn't shown himself as anything other than cover. Despite what the "experts" say on here he is nowhere near a regular starter for us and if, god forbid, we sold Bertrand we would buy a replacement.

Really? I think he'd be first choice in quite a few Prem teams

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Not anyone in the top half. He is, at the moment, a Championship starter quality left back so if you mean teams like Hudds, Brighton or Newcastle then yes I could see him starting for them along with the rest of the relegation candidates.

Thing is, he doesn't play PL very regularly does he? He doesn't get a sniff unless Bertrand is injured. It's one thing to be a cover player in the PL and quite another to be a consistent starter. So far, MT hasn't shown himself as anything other than cover. Despite what the "experts" say on here he is nowhere near a regular starter for us and if, god forbid, we sold Bertrand we would buy a replacement.

Well, he currently is exactly that, cover. What else are you expecting from a 21yo who has the current England LB in front of him in the pecking order? He'll have the opportunity to develop.

The expectations of some on here are pretty ridiculous. Where do you suggest we go to unearth world class LB cover who would be prepared to slug it out with Bertrand.