Sevilla (H) Pre-season Friendly

edprice1984

As the last pre-season game I'm expecting to see what MoPe thinks is his best line up set out to play in his chosen formation and style (whatever that is) rather than lots of changes and players shoe horned into odd positions to get game time. Hopefully this game will give us more of an idea what to expect in the opening weeks of the season.

As the last pre-season game I'm expecting to see what MoPe thinks is his best line up set out to play in his chosen formation and style (whatever that is) rather than lots of changes and players shoe horned into odd positions to get game time. Hopefully this game will give us more of an idea what to expect in the opening weeks of the season.

Maybe he's a disciple of the school of rotation. It's the only way to get through a demanding season.

I predict a meltdown of epic proportions after the game

you said we will win easily. so expecting an easy win for us.

no probs

to be fair, Could not care if we lose, the performance, shape and patterns of play are more important

you said we will win easily. so expecting an easy win for us.

no probs

to be fair, Could not care if we lose, the performance, shape and patterns of play are more important

For the Swansea game, not this one. No idea how we'll do against Sevilla. Probably lose I imagine.

I can see a draw for this game, probably 1-1. As long as the team play as a cohesive unit and I start to see the signs of this pressing game that everyone was going on about prior to MP signing then I will be happy. Fully expecting a fairly mediocre season this year but hopefully we can start to click towards the end of August when some new signings come in.

I predict a meltdown of epic proportions after the game

And people saying it's just a friendly.

The reality is this is our last practice game and will give us a clear idea of how we intend to play next season. What the style is, tempo, tactics and so on. Personally couldn't care about the result. What matters is we play as a team, work hard, show some exciting football that will give supporters a bit of belief that last season's shower of **** was just a blip.

The reality is this is our last practice game and will give us a clear idea of how we intend to play next season. What the style is, tempo, tactics and so on. Personally couldn't care about the result. What matters is we play as a team, work hard, show some exciting football that will give supporters a bit of belief that last season's shower of **** was just a blip.

The problem with that is, as yet, we've done nothing to address the issues in the squad, from last season, this summer so I'm not to sure why people expect this season to be overly different to last.

The reality is this is our last practice game and will give us a clear idea of how we intend to play next season. What the style is, tempo, tactics and so on. Personally couldn't care about the result. What matters is we play as a team, work hard, show some exciting football

We already did that for 5 minutes at the start of the last game against Augsburg (and for about half of last season).

We already did that for 5 minutes at the start of the last game against Augsburg (and for about half of last season).

I haven't seen any of our pre season games, only read the reports. The manager said everything was wrong and we played more like individuals etc. That's why I said play as a team. I don't recall us playing exciting football at the start of last season. Didn't we only beat Swansea, Burnley and West Ham in our first 13 games?

I can see a draw for this game, probably 1-1. As long as the team play as a cohesive unit and I start to see the signs of this pressing game that everyone was going on about prior to MP signing then I will be happy. Fully expecting a fairly mediocre season this year but hopefully we can start to click towards the end of August when some new signings come in.

Ignoring what people have said (as they've not a clue) I haven't actually read anything from anyone who's analysed MP's teams' playing style over a period of time who has said he is like Pochettino in that regard. Certainly in all the friendlies I've seen there has been no evidence of it and there should be by now. As someone else said, Pochettino had it in place pretty quickly and he joined in mid season. I find myself agreeing with those who aren't too fussed if we lose to what will be a decent team as long as we look as though we're going to be one as well. I doubt we'll be as bad as Wednesday as MP, while he didn't say much, was quite damning in his view of what he'd seen.

As an aside I consider that Targett being given a new deal (and he's hardly played and is unlikely to be poached by anyone - and he's a Saints fan and still has to convince anyone he's good enough as a defender in this league - ) is an indicator that while we're not skint we won't spend any or much cash and that is likely to continue until KL is bought out. I am aware that someone has said we're after Ings and Barkley, but does anyone see us paying even close to the amount he's quoted to be valued at given we got a comparable player (possibly) in Boufal for half of that?

I haven't seen any of our pre season games, only read the reports. The manager said everything was wrong and we played more like individuals etc. That's why I said play as a team. I don't recall us playing exciting football at the start of last season. Didn't we only beat Swansea, Burnley and West Ham in our first 13 games?

That is a definite hangover from last year, pretty sure it was in one of the games at the start of the run where we decided not to score at home, The crowd had just started getting restless towards what we were being served up on the pitch, I turned to my mate and said "blimey this lot are playing like they met for the first time in the dressing room today!".

Makes you wonder if the thought process is I am on the stepping stone, do my thing and someone will be along to get me in the summer to dosh me up regardless.

The problem with that is, as yet, we've done nothing to address the issues in the squad, from last season, this summer so I'm not to sure why people expect this season to be overly different to last.

Actually, there were times when we played excellent football last season. So we know the team is good enough. We had the choice of changing the team or changing the manager. We chose the latter. Let's see what he can get out of this squad in competitive games first.

Actually, there were times when we played excellent football last season. So we know the team is good enough. We had the choice of changing the team or changing the manager. We chose the latter. Let's see what he can get out of this squad in competitive games first.

Were they mutually exclusive then? The team / squad needs strengthening and quality adding. That's as clear as day.

If you thought last season was exciting, you'd hyperventilate at a theme park,

Ignoring what people have said (as they've not a clue) I haven't actually read anything from anyone who's analysed MP's teams' playing style over a period of time who has said he is like Pochettino in that regard. Certainly in all the friendlies I've seen there has been no evidence of it and there should be by now. As someone else said, Pochettino had it in place pretty quickly and he joined in mid season. I find myself agreeing with those who aren't too fussed if we lose to what will be a decent team as long as we look as though we're going to be one as well. I doubt we'll be as bad as Wednesday as MP, while he didn't say much, was quite damning in his view of what he'd seen.

As an aside I consider that Targett being given a new deal (and he's hardly played and is unlikely to be poached by anyone - and he's a Saints fan and still has to convince anyone he's good enough as a defender in this league - ) is an indicator that while we're not skint we won't spend any or much cash and that is likely to continue until KL is bought out. I am aware that someone has said we're after Ings and Barkley, but does anyone see us paying even close to the amount he's quoted to be valued at given we got a comparable player (possibly) in Boufal for half of that?

Targett has been given a new contract because he is playing well. He has benefitted from Bertrand's late return and then getting injured and he has played the best football we have seen from him. While there may remain questions about his defensive abilities he has been particularly good going forward.

When we have Bertrand as first choice and then two up and coming young players as back up you can hardly expect us to be spending any money to strengthen in that position, especially bearing in mind the lack of spare places that we have in our squad.

As for Ings and Barkley I have heard no credible rumours suggesting we are about to buy those two and I would be gutted if we wasted the small scope we have to develop our squad in bringing them in rather than a defensive/box-to-box midfielder and central defender. If we are to buy any attacking players they need to be better than what we already have and we only have the potential scope for one of them if we are to strengthen in those other two positions - and only if we are to omit two or three of our current squad players (eg Gazzaniga, Gardos and maybe one other e.g. Gallagher).

Sent from my Fusion5 using Tapatalk

Come on Grapefruit. Everyone agrees that was a huge highlight. Just like everyone should be able to agree that too many of the other games were a big snoozefest. This is aguing for the sake of arguing.

I agree, the league wasn't the most exciting, but last season had its exciting moments. 6 European games and a superb League Cup run. Neither ended the way we wanted it to but they were exciting, no?

I agree, the league wasn't the most exciting, but last season had its exciting moments. 6 European games and a superb League Cup run. Neither ended the way we wanted it to but they were exciting, no?

beer sheva at home was edge of the seat stuff, granted

We only had 6 European games because Koeman achieved that for us the season before, it wasn't anything Puel achieved. I keep seeing this written by people ''Puel did a great job, got us further in Europe than before''. But that was only because Koeman got us 6th. Puel did as much as he could to **** up the group, and given it was a year when Inter were ****, it was a shambolic effort to not even get 2nd. The away games at Ber Sheva and Sparta were the thing of nightmares, and then you have the home game which was the most obvious ''let's not lose what we have' tactic ever.