Sevilla (H) Pre-season Friendly

edprice1984

Just back from the game. We ranged from decent to terrible in the first half, often times both in the same minute. Looked caught in two minds half the time going forward. Better in the second, more intent.

Some flickers of good stuff though, encouraging moments and second goal was well taken. Just not sure there is a defined 'style' there yet.

I know its hardly news, but we really need to strengthen the centre mid, looked very flat and unimaginative.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Well having been to the last two friendly games I think the football is going to much the same as last season.

I thought we were going to be a more pressing side under MoPe but apart from little spells we aren't really doing that ( Sevilla on the other hand pressed very well as a unit especially against our back 4). If the last couple of games

are anything to go by it looks like we are going to sit deep and try and play on the counter quite a bit.

When we do go more proactive in attack it is very similar to last season in that we mainly aim to get it out wide and cross in the box though like last season we aren't, as yet, getting enough bodies in the box.

Positives from today were Cedric, Romeu, Gabbi and Stephens who all looked pretty sharp.

I thought the CB looked decent enough in his cameo.

Well having been to the last two friendly games I think the football is going to much the same as last season.

I thought we were going to be a more pressing side under MoPe but apart from little spells we aren't really doing that ( Sevilla on the other hand pressed very well as a unit especially against our back 4). If the last couple of games

are anything to go by it looks like we are going to sit deep and try and play on the counter quite a bit.

When we do go more proactive in attack it is very similar to last season in that we mainly aim to get it out wide and cross in the box though like last season we aren't, as yet, getting enough bodies in the box.

Positives from today were Cedric, Romeu, Gabbi and Stephens who all looked pretty sharp.

I disagree. Personally I think we look absolutely opposite to last season. Lousy in defence but reliable upfront.

A very much better performance from us this afternoon, but when I saw the starting line-up, I thought that our chances ought to be improved. This was arguably pretty close to our best starting eleven and is what MP ought to have done on Wednesday. With our strongest defence, we kept it tight at the back, had a relatively strong midfield and with Redmond and Gabbiadini, some threat up front. Also with Bertrand and Cedric playing, there was scope for some pace out wide, with some prospect of good balls into the box.

We matched them pretty well in the first half and there wasn't much between the two teams. Although the match wasn't very exciting, particularly in the second half, we looked quite comfortable throughout and Forster was hardly tested at all, thank God. I fretted a bit after losing half of our defence to Yoshida coming off presumably because an injury and a tactical change I guess when Cedric came off for the youngster, Flannigan, but they held firm, contrasting to the abject surrender on Wednesday. Part of this could be down to retaining Romeu to add muscle in midfield with Davis.

Whilst it was difficult to praise any player performance on Wednesday, today several looked a lot better. MOTM in my opinion was Stephens, with Cedric, Bertand, Romeu, Gabbiadini, Redmond and Davis also putting in good shifts.

Seville are very good opposition finishing fourth in the top Spanish division last season, but I don't know enough about them to assess the strength of the team they fielded today. But in their last match they beat Arsenal. It would be nice to think that MP was still experimenting more broadly on Wednesday and had more of an idea of his best team today, which if so, bodes a little better for next Saturday's opening match of the season. We still need additional options at CB and defensive midfield, but there is time enough to arrange that. Mind you, we might still have Virgil available at CB on 1st September or soon after.

That was better than Wednesday a bit more joined up.......... Nearly forgot what to do when we scored! :p

Heard probably the the stupidest comment ever at a football match, gob$ho1te behind not been to many games, ball comes to Yoshida "ah Maya Yoshida always good for a mistake whenever I have seen him play" 2 seconds later ball gets under his feet makes a bit of a hash "see that's what I mean accident prone everytime he touches the ball" oh that's not it though, second half Maya and a Sevilla player meet at speed, for a friendly it was a bit of a meaty coming together.

Maya is down obviously hurt the magic sponge boys come on....... From behind matey pipes up "good lets hope he is injured and out for a couple of months..." WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs JBS thought for moment that she was going to have to sit on me to stop me letting rip!!!!

Absolutely stunning!!

Edited by John Boy Saint

Much improved and a few excellent individual performances Romeu of course, Stephens and the new lad Flannagan at right back looks a real find. Cedric bang on his game form the get-go and few sub-par although Redmond more or less made sure he wouldn't be starting next week! Once Boufal settled in as sub and git over his contretemps with Romeu he looked a real threat. Defensive organisation looked much better but they do sit quite deep so any mistake (and there were one or two) will give Forster little chance. I'd love to see Steve Davis playing the advanced AMF role (he's much better than JWP) and a new DMF to help Romeu and we could be in for a season.

Yep, still only a friendly but looks good preparation for next week, on this showing we can get a result.

I trust you saw the second goal coming from Davis pressing?

Much improved SNIP

Yes, I think I broadly agree with you, and thought maybe Redmond was showing his lateness in starting pre-season. My prediction that he'd be off for Bouffal was an easy enough one to make.

I'd seen Flannigan on the bench midweek, but didn't think he'd play - more along for the experience, but like all the kids we throw in he didn't look overawed, has a fine turn of pace and some good tackling, and a well hit shot the keeper saved.

Tadic was frustrating again with a free kick and from Bouffal's driven corner straight to his feet. That was an interesting and surprising move and should help keep the opposition on their toes.

I trust you saw the second goal coming from Davis pressing?

As I said there was some pressing but it is sporadic and not as a unit. Sevilla pressed much better than us. The second goal was also helped as Sevilla were down to 10 men as one player was getting treatment off pitch.

Just back from the game. We ranged from decent to terrible in the first half, often times both in the same minute. Looked caught in two minds half the time going forward. Better in the second, more intent.

Some flickers of good stuff though, encouraging moments and second goal was well taken. Just not sure there is a defined 'style' there yet.

I know its hardly news, but we really need to strengthen the centre mid, looked very flat and unimaginative.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Yes very much this but I have got to add Stephens at times today reminded me of Beckenbauer in his pomp.

I seem to recall a thread from Koeman's first pre-season that asked the question "Where are the goals going to come from?", we won 8-0 about 4 weeks later. I wouldn't read too much into pre-season games, good or bad, personally.

Yes very much this but I have got to add Stephens at times today reminded me of Beckenbauer in his pomp.

Seriously ? We have jumped from Mark Wright to Beckenbaueresque in three days ?

Hope we can hold on to him until the close of the transfer window cos give him two more weeks he will be the best player the world has ever seen :lol: :smug:

Seriously ? We have jumped from Mark Wright to Beckenbaueresque in three days ?

Hope we can hold on to him until the close of the transfer window cos give him two more weeks he will be the best player the world has ever seen :lol: :smug:

Although it makes a change to hear one of our players being bugged up instead of run down on here!

He could have been a good buy from Stoke a few year ago...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-nzonzi/profil/spieler/73734

... but I suppose at the time we had Wanyama.

Oh, and did Redmond do anything worthwhile this afternoon? He seemed invisible (and not in a good hard working Steven Davis kind of fashion), and in a weird way I'd rather start Boufal to see if he steps up.

I disagree. Personally I think we look absolutely opposite to last season. Lousy in defence but reliable upfront.

Edit: read it wrong.

I think having vvd back up to speed can fix that lousy defence

Edited by nta786

Stephens is fully deserving of a starting position this season, it's who'll partner him that'll be the problem. He's very, very good and will only get better with games.

Cedric and Bertrand looked good, as did Gabbi.

We press slightly more than last year but still very little forward movement off the ball.

We really do lack height and pace.

Some very encouraging build up and pressing play, although I still think we're a bit light at the back. If Yoshi is out next weekend we really will have a problem. Need another CB IMO, two if Virgil leaves.

A few other thoughts:

Gabbi playing one up front is definitely the way forward. He brings so much movement to our build up play and was a real nuisance making diagonal runs off the last man, something Austin lacks.

Stephens had a good game.

Tadic and Davis looked good too.

Flannigan got forward well in his brief cameo, even got a shot away at one point.

Can't remember anything from Long other than being offside.

Can see why we bought Bednarek, good physical attributes and hair. Not a PL player yet though IMO.

Some very encouraging build up and pressing play, although I still think we're a bit light at the back. If Yoshi is out next weekend we really will have a problem. Need another CB IMO, two if Virgil leaves.

A few other thoughts:

Gabbi playing one up front is definitely the way forward. He brings so much movement to our build up play and was a real nuisance making diagonal runs off the last man, something Austin lacks.

Stephens had a good game.

Tadic and Davis looked good too.

Flannigan got forward well in his brief cameo, even got a shot away at one point.

Can't remember anything from Long other than being offside.

Can see why we bought Bednarek, good physical attributes and hair. Not a PL player yet though IMO.

I thought he looked decent in his short appearance today one oops moment when he mis-controlled a ball but generally solid obviously he'd be tested a lot more in a proper competitive game..

Observations from today:

JS is a class act. Top draw. Love to see him driving forward as well.

Ward-Prowse is just not up to it. He comes accross as a really likable lad and obviously works hard but I really don't rate him at all; beaten to absolutely everything today (I know, he got an assist with the corner etc.).

Boufal created more in the time he was on than Redmond (although Boufal looks disinterested in defending most of the time) again, flashes of his ability, I really hope he gets a run in the team and comes good.

Flanagan (SP?) looked really assured.

We need another central midfielder (lad from Juve??)

We need a top class centre back next to JS.

Cedric outstanding in the first half.

As I said there was some pressing but it is sporadic and not as a unit. Sevilla pressed much better than us. The second goal was also helped as Sevilla were down to 10 men as one player was getting treatment off pitch.

I think that Sevilla had something to do with our sporadic pressing. They are a slick, fast passing side and we did well to break them up, sporadically, true, but effectively. And it is the first time that we have played our near best team. So credit to the team for keeping a confident Sevilla team at bay in the first half. I came away hopeful that if Mauricio can install better consistency than the team achieved last season then we will have a decent season ahead.

Pretty pleased with today's performance.

We did seem to press high up the pitch with our attacking players, but my impression was that we dropped as deep as normal when the ball was in our half.

Cedric outstanding. Stephens, Romeu and Davis very good. The new Flannigan kid looks promising. Redmond had a poor game. Surprised we didn't see any of Austin or Hojberg.

Reading the 'Bleacher report' on MP in the programme yesterday the author talked about how his teams try to reduce space between the lines when defending so that opposition is channeled into cul-de-sacs and the threat dies out which I certainly saw evidence of yesterday. The same report mentions that his teams press high but not all the time, which again as others have said was a feature yesterday. Clearly, implementing his ideas and techniques fully will take MP time but yesterday's performance gave me a very positive feeling about what is to come. Worth reading the extended interview with MP too if you have the programme; he is certainly a very humble man who wants to challenge himself as much as others. I also liked the references to 'imagination' particularly when MP mentioned what Benitez did for Liverpool in the Champions League final to turn a 3-0 half time deficit into an eventual win. Again, I think we have somebody who is going to be tactically adept, meticulous in his preparation and who won't be afraid to change things if he needs to. Bodes well.

Reading the 'Bleacher report' on MP in the programme yesterday the author talked about how his teams try to reduce space between the lines when defending so that opposition is channeled into cul-de-sacs and the threat dies out which I certainly saw evidence of yesterday. The same report mentions that his teams press high but not all the time, which again as others have said was a feature yesterday. Clearly, implementing his ideas and techniques fully will take MP time but yesterday's performance gave me a very positive feeling about what is to come. Worth reading the extended interview with MP too if you have the programme; he is certainly a very humble man who wants to challenge himself as much as others. I also liked the references to 'imagination' particularly when MP mentioned what Benitez did for Liverpool in the Champions League final to turn a 3-0 half time deficit into an eventual win. Again, I think we have somebody who is going to be tactically adept, meticulous in his preparation and who won't be afraid to change things if he needs to. Bodes well.

0d94b35e2b7dd434d59d6001b7527854.jpg2eacba865e18f8ec4cbe3b190f66863d.jpge9461de014d1bc7ab7b1a3ac532d5504.jpg

afac4e3fd489a7041488f866d7476261.jpg

I think yesterday we saw how we will play against the better teams this season: defend deep and in numbers; short passes between players to work the ball out of defence; attack as a team, midfielders getting forward to support the attackers.

I was impressed with:

Gabbi (great movement and ability to see and take a shot from anywhere - had one good effort, from distance, saved and decent goal)

Stephens (looked very assured, especially with carrying the ball out of defense)

Cedric (great to see him in the side)

Jake Flannigan (looked very assured and brought a good save from their 'keeper with a cracking shot)

and, my MoM

Davis (seemed to be everywhere, winning tackles, getting attacks started, and a lovely assist for Gabbi's goal)

It was also interesting for the brief time after Long came on and Gabbi was playing just behind him. I thought that was when we looked our best going forward.

For the most part the match was far from scintillating, but the team did the job.

I think yesterday we saw how we will play against the better teams this season: defend deep and in numbers; short passes between players to work the ball out of defence; attack as a team, midfielders getting forward to support the attackers.

I was impressed with:

Gabbi (great movement and ability to see and take a shot from anywhere - had one good effort, from distance, saved and decent goal)

Stephens (looked very assured, especially with carrying the ball out of defense)

Cedric (great to see him in the side)

Jake Flannigan (looked very assured and brought a good save from their 'keeper with a cracking shot)

and, my MoM

Davis (seemed to be everywhere, winning tackles, getting attacks started, and a lovely assist for Gabbi's goal)

It was also interesting for the brief time after Long came on and Gabbi was playing just behind him. I thought that was when we looked our best going forward.

For the most part the match was far from scintillating, but the team did the job.

I would have said that wasn't happening very often most of our counter attacks seemed to stall because of a lack of support and like last season a lot of our crosses where ending up in a opposition area full of defenders and to few saints players.

Good example of "aftertiming" in today's game imo - "lovely to see such a confident one touch finish from Gabbi" seems to be the general feeling whereas if the keeper had shut his legs it would have been "an absolute sitter and he hits it STRAIGHT at the keeper - worrying!".

He could have been a good buy from Stoke a few year ago...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/steven-nzonzi/profil/spieler/73734

... but I suppose at the time we had Wanyama.

Oh, and did Redmond do anything worthwhile this afternoon? He seemed invisible (and not in a good hard working Steven Davis kind of fashion), and in a weird way I'd rather start Boufal to see if he steps up.

Redmond was pretty poor, for a friendly getting too heated shoving Sevilla players out of the way, then he had a moment where he wound himself right up and went hunting the man with the ball you could see him getting madder and madder think the Sevilla players could see this too so saved him and sent the ball away, if the game had meaning think one of them might have taken the hit and waved cheerio as he headed off for an early shower. He does seemto get a little narky and a bit gobby at times very quickly.

But something that he showed last season, he goes looking at the imaginary butterflies, he did it last year a couple of times where the ball went spinning up in the air off an oppo player looking like it has gone out when it's hit the ground it is still in by the touch line, but he has already given up on it and is walking away in his lassez faire style not even looking at the ball he is the closest, his team mates were screaming at him the fans in the stands were screaming at him he just looked at his team mates and goes "what?" happened twice last year where he just gave up on watching the ball. Yesterday Fraser takes a free kick in our half, he can see Redmond in acres of space in front of the Northam and for once sends a pin point pass up to him, what's Redmond doing, back to the game looking at all the pretty people in the Northam and the wonderful butterflies fluttering amongst them, ball bounces he wakes up too late out for a goal kick. Fraser (probably impressed at a straight kick for once), when Redmond eventually looks at Fraser, and gets the message what were you doing it was right at you in space, to which Redmond goes "who me, why what have I done, it's not my fault!". Iron that little trait out of him and he will improve, but think he has the mentality to think because someone has told him he is the next Henry he already is. Unfortunately he isn't intelligent enough to be the next Henry. But harsh I know because he without doubt has ability but doesn't get all the dots joined up, if he did he would be a frightening player.

One observation from yesterday when Boufal came on, ok it wasnt a long stint, he looked much more defensively minded when he needed to track back and help out last season he seemed a bit reluctant in that duty.

Good example of "aftertiming" in today's game imo - "lovely to see such a confident one touch finish from Gabbi" seems to be the general feeling whereas if the keeper had shut his legs it would have been "an absolute sitter and he hits it STRAIGHT at the keeper - worrying!".

Who's to say he wouldn't have put it somewhere else if the 'keeper had shut his legs though?

There was one game last season where I was impressed/surprised at Boufal's defensive work, think it may have been Liverpool away? He was shutting people down, tracking back etc. I think he's capable of it, but probably had a tendency to switch off/give up immediately after he's lost the ball.

Yes, I think I broadly agree with you, and thought maybe Redmond was showing his lateness in starting pre-season. My prediction that he'd be off for Bouffal was an easy enough one to make.

I'd seen Flannigan on the bench midweek, but didn't think he'd play - more along for the experience, but like all the kids we throw in he didn't look overawed, has a fine turn of pace and some good tackling, and a well hit shot the keeper saved.

Tadic was frustrating again with a free kick and from Bouffal's driven corner straight to his feet. That was an interesting and surprising move and should help keep the opposition on their toes.

Yes he was to a certain extent but he takes quite a bit of flak quite unfairly especially in the stadium. There are factions in the crowd who never see any good in a player once they've got him in their sights. Poor old Maya is another and of course everyone's bête noir Forster. Let's face it these guys are not match fit yet either physically or mentally, it's a fast game and needs 100% concentration and that must be hard to get going after a long summer break. Even a stalwart like Ryan Bertrand made a few howlers yesterday and poor old James just couldn't get anything right apart from the odd corner.

Observations from today:

JS is a class act. Top draw. Love to see him driving forward as well.

Ward-Prowse is just not up to it. He comes accross as a really likable lad and obviously works hard but I really don't rate him at all; beaten to absolutely everything today (I know, he got an assist with the corner etc.).

Boufal created more in the time he was on than Redmond (although Boufal looks disinterested in defending most of the time) again, flashes of his ability, I really hope he gets a run in the team and comes good.

Flanagan (SP?) looked really assured.

We need another central midfielder (lad from Juve??)

We need a top class centre back next to JS.

Cedric outstanding in the first half.

It took Boufal about 10 minutes to even touch the ball.....

It's been an erratic pre-season but a 2-0 victory obver Sevilla is one of the best pre-season results in Saints' modern history (although a 0-4 defeat to Augsburg was one of the worst).

The whole team was led superbly by our new captain, Steven Davis, who really was outstanding, as were Jack Stephens and Romeu. Unforunately, Shane Long looked as ineffective as he did last season and Redmond was even worse. Overall though, an encouraging performance. Pellegrino seems to have realized very quickly that we have to stay back for much if the game to cover our weak defence, and attack on the break. Puel only realized the first part of that. He has also realized that we need another defensive midfielder to partner Romeu, who runs himself into the ground every game but undrstandably flags in the final 20 minutes. I only hope that Ross Wilson is capable of finding a good one.