Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

84% pass rate in his first premier league game and people on here are moaning about his passing. That number is on a par with Romeu's accuracy last season. We're a difficult forum to please.

if his passes were 5 yards

he was very average yesterday. which is understandable

Thought him and Romeu provided a solid base. Doesn't take long to see the potential of a player. They may be 'loose' but their positioning and runs gives you insight in to their mindset straight away. We need to give them both games together, which will allow our attackers to play with more freedom

Solid game, timing of tackles was very good, good distribution and looking to pass forward as well as carry the ball into the space in front.

Presumably only got 65 minutes due to a lack of match fitness.

That and the massive gash from that shocking Noble tackle.

Interesting that Lemina was actually deeper than Romeu most of the time. I had thought it would be the other way around but it did allow us to make use of Romeu's forward passing which was excellent.

Lemina looked powerful and competitive which is what we were lacking. On the ball he reminded me a bit of Wanyama, you just want him to keep it simple rather than try 40 yard passes.

How did he do yesterday guys?

He was pretty good, he did run out of steam a little though. We switched him and Davis in the 2nd half, so Lemina played part of the attacking 3 and he was quite a presence up there. He is a lot quicker than I thought he was to be honest. It doesn't usually take too long to tell if you have a 'player', he looks like the business to me.

He was pretty good, he did run out of steam a little though. We switched him and Davis in the 2nd half, so Lemina played part of the attacking 3 and he was quite a presence up there. He is a lot quicker than I thought he was to be honest. It doesn't usually take too long to tell if you have a 'player', he looks like the business to me.

Thought he looked good further forward- brings us something different to our other players. Would like to see him start there v Watford.

Interesting that Lemina was actually deeper than Romeu most of the time. I had thought it would be the other way around but it did allow us to make use of Romeu's forward passing which was excellent.

Lemina looked powerful and competitive which is what we were lacking. On the ball he reminded me a bit of Wanyama, you just want him to keep it simple rather than try 40 yard passes.

There was a moment yesterday when he picked it up about 15 yards into our half, looked out diagonally to Bertrand and thought about a raking pass before knocking it short. I'm sure he's capable but, like Schneiderlin, picks his moments. I liked that.

This.

Partnerships need time to develop.

Stick him and Rom in together going forward

This.

Partnerships need time to develop.

Stick him and Rom in together going forward

I thought very impressive. Clearly very technically capable in line with our expectations and a worker. Took up some great positions that didn't get a pass. Was sat in block M with Town supporters (that's what happens when you live in Yorkshire) and there was footwork that was sublime and recognised as such by the home supporters, great to see him here.

Lemina was quite impressive. He is the midfielder we have lacked since losing Wanyama and Morgan - and importantly, along with Gabbiadini, Bertrand, Romeu and possibly Hoedt and Boufal represents a bit of quality quality in a squad which is light on in that area.

Thought he looked like a poor mans Pogba. Able to play deep, covering behind and at the sides, also not too bad upfront - a physical presence, can put in a tackle and pick out a pass.

Seems to be an intelligent player and quite nicely fits the missing gap in midfield we had before.

Hopefully the fact he'll partner Romeu gives Davis more freedom further up the pitch.

• 9 months later...

I think of all the players who might be sold, he comes pretty close to the top. Played like he didn't want to be here for long stretches. Think he's billy big boots. Hope he knuckles down, though, obvs

If we can keep Lemina and Gabbiadini, and actually play them regularly and to their strengths, I think we will have a very good season next season. They were all badly mismanaged by Pellegrino. I'd say the same for Boufal but I think he's already burned his bridges with Hughes.

Agree though, that even with an average first season behind him, he's still one of the jewels in the squad.

He's clearly a talented player, but he's a youtube player if I've ever seen one...! Needs to impact himself more when things aren't going too well, there seems to be certain weaknesses in his game that really show through in a struggling side. In reality, with his ability, he should have stood out like a sore thumb last year (and to be fair, he did in a few games).

Absolutely world class player. The amount of times in that video where he wins the ball back and players just bounce off of him. Absoulte beast my favourite player Mario :)

Agree - top player. He's easily had more good games than bad this season. Although he's had a few 'whoops' moments high up the pitch that have cost us, but on the whole I agree with you and I think we'll do well to hold on to him for any length of time. Great player.

He is a class act when he wants to be, however his attitude can be questioned. That performance against Chelsea at Wembley is one of the poorest by effort that I've seen anyone have in a Saints shirt, his effort was pathetic.

However, if we can get him on side and playing well and regularly and he gets a bit more luck with injuries, then we have a brilliant player.

Personally he'd be my 1st name on the sheet, a real general and potentially a big star in the prem. Wasn't his fault he (like all the players) had to labor under a total idiot of a manager last season.

Now we've got a competent guy at the helm I expect big things from Mario and I don't think he'll disappoint. Just hope the club can keep hold of him.

A reenergised Romeu + Lemina is a tasty central mid pairing to me.

Now we've got a competent guy at the helm I expect big things from Mario and I don't think he'll disappoint.

Agree. I rather suspect Lemina's 'off form' moments and perceived poor attitude at times was more down to him being hacked off with the manager and his tactics rather than it being his natural disposition. Yes, I know that the players are professionals and should act professionally at all times, but they are also human and playing for a manager who frustrates the hell out of you (if indeed that's what happened) is going to grind you down sooner or later. Lemina strikes me as a Hughes kinda player (and visa versa) so here's hoping we keep him and see a rejuvenated player next season.

According to FrenchFootballNews Lemina is in informal discussions with Napoli.

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2018/exclusive-napoli-in-talks-for-southampton-midfielder-mario-lemina/

Exclusive | Napoli in talks for Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina

Serie A side Napoli are in discussions with agents over the possible signing of Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina, according to sources contacted by Get French Football News.

The 24-year-old moved to the Saints last summer, but was promised a very different project to what the club ended up experiencing: a full-on relegation battle.

At this stage, formal negotiations are yet to begin between clubs.

Personally he'd be my 1st name on the sheet, a real general and potentially a big star in the prem. Wasn't his fault he (like all the players) had to labor under a total idiot of a manager last season.

Now we've got a competent guy at the helm I expect big things from Mario and I don't think he'll disappoint. Just hope the club can keep hold of him.

A reenergised Romeu + Lemina is a tasty central mid pairing to me.

Indeed.

I think the general conscientious is the Mario didn't have the best season but his Youtube video for 2017/18 looks amazing. I personally still have hi hopes for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGM2PgaNko

I'm like him alot, though you're reminded how risky some of his decisionmaking was. Some of those turns in tight spaces came off looking brilliant, though they could have easily backfired (as they did on several occasions leading directly to goals).

Crikey, his agents are busy today. City linked with him if they can't get Jorginho deal over the line (which I assume they will do). If they were offering £40m for Jorginho... Would anyone take that for Mario?

@SunMartinB: Talks ongoing over Jorginho but #Mcfc say no second bid gone in yet.

@SunMartinB: #Mcfc have eyes on real Madrid’s Kovacic and Lemina of Southampton if they can’t strike a deal for Jorginho.

@hirstclass: Mcfc looking to sign either Real Madrid’s Mateo Kovacic or Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina in case Jorginho deal doesn’t go through. Sounds like there’s a bit of an impasse re the Jorginho deal. City have offered £40m for Jorginho but Napoli want nearer £60m.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice