Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

Early part of the season he looked and was the best player on the pitch for us. Then confidence got knocked, suffered a few niggly injuries and he got dragged down with the rest of the squad. Was brilliant when I went to watch the WBA league game away; obviously talented - with a decent manager (Sparky) I think we will see the best of him next season. Next summer we might have a job to retain him.

Agree. He looks so good on the ball, just needs confidence and some decent coaching.

His performance away at Palace was one of the most eye-catchingly brilliant individual performances I've ever seen by a Saints player. If Hughes thinks he can harness that for even half of his appearances, we should not consider selling at (almost) any price.

I do, however, have concerns about his mental aptitude. Went completely missing in just about every key game in the run-in. I hope this is just due to lack of experience though.

I still think he's not going to be with us at the start of the season. Just didn't look like he thought he was our standard to me. Bit billy big boots. Hope I'm wrong and he stays and becomes one of our stars, but suspect all this transfer news is predicated on another big player leaving and fee coming in. Him or Bertrand.

No evidence to support this. We need to keep star players. Our standard was too poor last year because we sell players. I am sure he will buy into the managers vision. Personally, I doubt many clubs would pay good money for a team member of a failed team like we were last season. The England manager was right to reward our flops with not picking them for that reason.

His performance away at Palace was one of the most eye-catchingly brilliant individual performances I've ever seen by a Saints player. If Hughes thinks he can harness that for even half of his appearances, we should not consider selling at (almost) any price.

I do, however, have concerns about his mental aptitude. Went completely missing in just about every key game in the run-in. I hope this is just due to lack of experience though.

My mate who supports Palace still goes on about how good he was that day. OK, Palace were at a particularly low ebb then but he completely ran the game.

I'd definitely keep him.

Some conversations on here are too dumb for words but honestly guys stop and think a while, Lemina is a class player and if the New Saints stay in the top third of the table this season you will find out just how good this lad will become. Talk of selling or "getting rid" is 'crap-speil' pure and simple!

As K Billy said, if someone wants to truple what we paid, when he's barely had half a season here (in between injuries and loss of confidence), snap their hand off, reinvest in a couple of positions (strong DM and express winger) with a bit left to offset Carrillo/Forster disasters.

Bertrand would be a far bigger loss - poor for much if last season but picked up when Hughes arrived and the buffoon had gone. Tried and tested at the level and this league.

Man City may be keeping longer term tabs - fine, suits us, means he has to be a million times better and fitter next season.

Excellent post

Sky news “I’m told they [City] want him”...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/989568/Man-City-transfer-news-Sky-Sports-Southampton

Manchester Evening News: City are not pursuing another holding midfielder after losing out on Jorginho. “The Blues have also been very interested in Southampton's Mario Lemina, but they have misgivings as to whether he is the right man for them.”...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-transfers-jorginho-alternative-14914749

His performance v West Brom away was one of the most commanding performances I have seen from anyone wearing a Saints shirt. He dominant and controlled the game from start to finish and capped the performance with a goal. If Hughes finds a way of getting Lemina to play like that game more regularly we’ll be selling him for big bucks. He’s got it in him.

His performance v West Brom away was one of the most commanding performances I have seen from anyone wearing a Saints shirt. He dominant and controlled the game from start to finish and capped the performance with a goal. If Hughes finds a way of getting Lemina to play like that game more regularly we’ll be selling him for big bucks. He’s got it in him.

Yep, he definitely has.

I don't know what it is with this forum; there's so many people who flippantly dismiss players who've shown a bit of promise in a poor team - it's like they're automatically guilty by association.

Lemina has played for Juventus and done so with considerable aplomb. He's not pulled out of the bag here, yet, but as a footballer he's got something. He's not a Carillo, where there are no redeemable features or a JWP, who is painstakingly average irrespective of the team quality.

He's got something, as have many of our players who so many on here want to sell or would quite hpapily do away with; Reed, Gallagher, Yoshida etc. It remains to be seen whether they can do it consistently but who knows and given the opportunity, I reckon many will be pleasantly surprised.

Yet we have this weird w4nkfest when we do sign someone with many people telling everyone else that they're great players (Gunn, Vestergaard etc)... how many of those people have actually watched these players on a consistent basis to make that judgement?

Now on here I'm reading Schneiderlin is a load of pump too... absolute rubbish. He's still a cut above what we've got and clearly has not meshed with his new club(s). Strange forum.

Sky news “I’m told they [City] want him”...

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/989568/Man-City-transfer-news-Sky-Sports-Southampton

Manchester Evening News: City are not pursuing another holding midfielder after losing out on Jorginho. “The Blues have also been very interested in Southampton's Mario Lemina, but they have misgivings as to whether he is the right man for them.”...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-transfers-jorginho-alternative-14914749

City's scouting staff have got the same opinion as most of us. Very good player. When he wants to be.

I didn't see that game (in full at least), but I thought the same about the Palace away game, and yet apparently vs WBA he was even better!

Switching from Serie A to the PL has always been tough, quite different leagues, different tempo, different playing culture etc.

Also away attendances in the Serie A are crap and very few teams sell out their grounds. Crystal Palace finished 14th last year with around 26k average attendance, that would be enough for the 7th best watched team in Serie A and Palace were restricted by their ground size.

Aside Spurs using Wembley, every other PL club last year had at least 90% attendance by capacity, whereas the Serie A is just 62% with around half the Serie A teams only filling about half their grounds.

So playing here would be a new experience for him all round often in front of packed stadiums, not to mention moving to a new country where you don't speak the language.

Give the lad a chance to adjust, I reckon he'll be better this year with more experience in the league, being more settled, speaking more English etc. and obviously with a different manager.

He has the tools to be brilliant though

Hell yes. At his best last season he was superb. At his worst he disappeared in games and on the odd high profile occasion he got caught in possession leading directly to goals. He should not take all the blame for that. He was not helped by team mates offering nothing. I'm excited to see what he does this season. Hopefully consistently brilliant which will have the top six swarming. Edited by Chez

Sometimes a pl;ayer might get caught with the ball simply because his less skilled team mates are in hiding and not showing for him.

I know that he can look blinkered at times by not passing to an open team mate but more often than not nobody was showing and the team morale was at a lower ebb than seen since the season we dropped to League div 1

Sometimes a pl;ayer might get caught with the ball simply because his less skilled team mates are in hiding and not showing for him.

I know that he can look blinkered at times by not passing to an open team mate but more often than not nobody was showing and the team morale was at a lower ebb than seen since the season we dropped to League div 1

Agreed. He had some poor games, which he must hold his hand up to, but the massive lack of talent in front of him (in the final third) and had him holding the ball far too long waiting for them to show for him.

Have we ever sold a player after one season?

My thoughts are we will see a great improvement from him but next season we will struggle to hold on to him as we always do.

Yes. Lovren for one. Probably not what you meant, but Juanmi, Delgado, and others I’m sure

we could always tell them to do one

the only time we did this as far as i can remember was with VVD. and look how that turned out (okay, okay, record fee etc etc, but hey, a lot of disruption)

the only time we did this as far as i can remember was with VVD. and look how that turned out (okay, okay, record fee etc etc, but hey, a lot of disruption)

Schniderlin - threw a paddy “a great journey destroyed in one hour” then got on with it and had a very good season.

Wanyama - threw a strop, when told he wasn’t going or the official line was he was ill so missed the game in Denmark. Had an average season, got sent off three times so missed nearly a third of the season suspended

So mixed results. Although given Lemina seems to be the type to down tools if he doesn’t like something it may cause more harm than good keeping him.

He'll stay, have a good season with us and leave next summer.

That's my gut feeling.

Agreed. He wont go this season. I think other teams will be a bit like our fan base - see the talent, but also aware that he has good and bad games. I think they'd need to see more consistency before they put in a large bid. And they'd need to, because I suspect our management can see that he is a real talent and with a decent season will be worth £50-60m. Also, it feels too late in the day, unless of course there have been extensive VVD type discussions and video presentations going on all summer.

Not entirely sure how they can still have the cash required for him, but....

(Maybe take Antonio plus £25m)

OBIANG OUT, LEMINA IN?

West Ham and Sampdoria in advanced talks over the sale of Pedro Obiang for around €10m (£8.9m).

Obiang has a contract at West Ham until 2022 and the club will leave the final decision with him if and when a fee is agreed.

Obiang joined West Ham from Sampdoria in 2015, and if he does leave, we are told the club are looking at Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina as a potential replacement.

Edited by SuperSAINT

Not sure he would even go to West Ham unless they offered him a big pay rise.

Plus we'd want £30 million plus I reckon

And that's the key phrase. West Ham are not, in reality, a bigger club than us. Only in their own imaginations. If he does well for us, he may get a move to a Champions League club next season. But if he goes to West Ham, he will be just a squad player on huge money.

And that's the key phrase. West Ham are not, in reality, a bigger club than us. Only in their own imaginations. If he does well for us, he may get a move to a Champions League club next season. But if he goes to West Ham, he will be just a squad player on huge money.

I only see him moving if we specifically need the money for another couple of players. (I say a couple because we'd need to replace him as well).

As Garrett said above, I don't really see WHU having the cash after their recent splurge.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice