Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

And that's the key phrase. West Ham are not, in reality, a bigger club than us. Only in their own imaginations. If he does well for us, he may get a move to a Champions League club next season. But if he goes to West Ham, he will be just a squad player on huge money.

We shouldn't underestimate the draw of London and a decent manager

I only see him moving if we specifically need the money for another couple of players. (I say a couple because we'd need to replace him as well).

As Garrett said above, I don't really see WHU having the cash after their recent splurge.

Of course West Ham have plenty of cash - they've got their massive (basically) free public funded stadium boosting their matchday incomes. Dont even need to pay for the extra police to keep their basic fans in order.

And that's the key phrase. West Ham are not, in reality, a bigger club than us. Only in their own imaginations. If he does well for us, he may get a move to a Champions League club next season. But if he goes to West Ham, he will be just a squad player on huge money.

Much that it pains me to say so but West Ham are a significantly bigger club than us by more or less every measure

With regard to Lemina, on his day he looks a top class player.

Unfortunately these days are not consistent and he sometimes slips below average and falls into the 'luxury' category.

I thought he was more suited playing further forward but that personal assessment is for another day

I would be disappointed to see him go but if the money was good and we could replace him adequately then no biggie.

Much that it pains me to say so but West Ham are a significantly bigger club than us by more or less every measure

With regard to Lemina, on his day he looks a top class player.

Unfortunately these days are not consistent and he sometimes slips below average and falls into the 'luxury' category.

I thought he was more suited playing further forward but that personal assessment is for another day

I would be disappointed to see him go but if the money was good and we could replace him adequately then no biggie.

I don't see why. We've finished above them in 5 of the last 7 seasons and they were only narrowly in front in the other 2.

They chuck their money around recklessly, giving the illusion of being bigger than they are but in reality they haven't picked up better players than us, or achieved more success. They've had one cup final in nearly 40 years.

If you had the choice now you'd probably pick West Ham...richer, bigger club, bigger stadium, more potential short term, building something with a decent manager and not afraid to spend some money, but surely they wouldn't be able to afford him just by FFP.

1. They would only care if they're getting more money.

2. 'Bigger club' is ambiguous and completely meaningless these days. Brighton are signing better players than Leeds, Forest, Wednesday and Villa.

3. Bigger stadium - SJP is bigger than Stamford Bridge. Do you think anyone gives a sh*t?

4. No idea what short term potential they have which we don't. We're both coming off the back of a very poor season.

5. We've spent money to try and improve too.

I don't see why. We've finished above them in 5 of the last 7 seasons and they were only narrowly in front in the other 2.

They chuck their money around recklessly, giving the illusion of being bigger than they are but in reality they haven't picked up better players than us, or achieved more success. They've had one cup final in nearly 40 years.

They won the World Cup and they've got a "way". Fact!

If you had the choice now you'd probably pick West Ham...richer, bigger club, bigger stadium, more potential short term, building something with a decent manager and not afraid to spend some money, but surely they wouldn't be able to afford him just by FFP.

and the chance to be attacked by your own fans in a completely unpoliced stadium if you have a couple of bad results on the trot … lovely.

Unfortunately the days when we were the best of the rest - outside of the big six - and big ambitions and ambitious owners and directors are long gone.

Lets not forget we finished 4th from bottom last season and that wasn't just by accident or bad luck - a lot of bad decisions on player recruitment, player contracts and manages have got us here - and its probably a fair reflection of where we are right now.

West Ham have a much bigger stadium, a slightly bigger support, the London draw, probably a slightly higher revenue - but most importantly much more ambitious owners with money who are willing too spend it.

As do Everton and Leicester. Right now they are all 'bigger clubs' than us if players want to play in Europe or win something.

I don't mind selling Lemina if we can get good money for him, create some space on the wage bill and replace him with someone with a bit more commitment on the pitch. I'd take Loftus-Cheek on loan. I have a feeling we were expecting him to go this summer which is why we were supposedly interested in players like Uribe. Maybe we will take another look at Stefano Sturaro.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if we announce Armstrong is his replacement- and forget quietl about replacing Boufal - that has Reed and Saints written all over it.

We sold them our captain, would not surprise me if we sold them our best player too

In terms of current appeal WHU probably win, we are a "small club" don't forget.

You can’t watch too many Saints games is you think he is our best player. Crikey...

'Bigger club' is just playground nonsense IMO, it is meaningless in modern football.

It's wages you pay, what league you play in (+ Europe) and whether you might things.

Hence why we signed a main starting centre back from BMG, who finished 9th last season, were in the Champs league the year before and play in front of 50k every week.

Premier League draw + more money in wages + TV money to pay big fees as if they are nothing.

Ajax are one of the most successful clubs of all time, are famous across the world, play Champs League pretty much every season but I am pretty sure we could buy any of their players if we wanted because -

1. £20 million or whatever is huge income for them.

2. We can pay a player like £60 - 70k a week and they can't

3. Players want to play in the PL, largely because of 2 and because they might, if they play well get a move to a Chelsea/Utd/City etc. and earn £150k a week.

That is the reality of modern football, especially PL football these days. Big fanbases and famous history means very little, just look at Leeds or Forest.

If Lemina was to go to West Ham it is because they would pay him over a £100k a week and we wouldn't.

You can’t watch too many Saints games is you think he is our best player. Crikey...

He probably put in the best two individual performances from any Southampton player last season (Palace A & West Brom A).

Of course two swallows don't make a summer, but it at least demonstrates some ability and potential.

Doubt we would sell Lemina now because there is no logic. When on form he makes a huge, huge difference to the team as has attributes none of our other midfielders have.

If we sell, we would be massively harming ourselves and needing to sign a replica player which would cost a lot.

Besides, if he has a more consistent season than last year when he was still settling in, he will be worth double next summer.

Who would you nominate just now?

Top 3 players at SFC just now?

That’s tough question

Bertrand McCarthy and lemina are probably the 3 players I would look to take from saints if I was managing another team in the prem (excluding the top 6)

That’s tough question

Bertrand McCarthy and lemina are probably the 3 players I would look to take from saints if I was managing another team in the prem (excluding the top 6)

Bertrand and Lemina the stand outs for me just now.

I like McCarthy but won't get carried away just yet. Seen alot of keepers look decent when the goal is being peppered.

David Marshall, Júlio César, Guzan and even Mannone looked v good in struggling sides

I like McCarthy but won't get carried away just yet. Seen alot of keepers look decent when the goal is being peppered.

David Marshall, Júlio César, Guzan and even Mannone looked v good in struggling sides

True dat.

I prefer this version of you.

Fair comment but like I said it’s tough question. Number 3 if not mcarthy then who? Probably sums up how bang average our squad is right now. Obvs the new guys are to new to really judge.

I guess we need Hughes to coach some of them into top players again.

To look at it from the other way around, Forster looked good when we had a solid back four...

It's the defence, specifically the centre backs, that are the issue.

To look at it from the other way around, Forster looked good when we had a solid back four...

It's the defence, specifically the centre backs, that are the issue.

Cedric is not the man I'd want defending a back post header either, and our midfield is too slow and lightweight. We don't keep the ball or offer enough threat to put teams on the back foot. In short, the whole team creates defensive issues that a keeper can't always cover.

:lol:

How are they supposed to "look good" if they are not saving any shots.... dear oh dear you are an idiot.

Mess

There is literally no reason we would sell Lemina, unless offered something like £50m.

We have already made close to £100m from sales in the last 12 months (Jay, VVD, Tadic) or so, not like we need the cash.

£25m offer from West ham apparently...
Unless we had a deal lined up for, say, Loftus-Cheek for a similar amount, what would be the point in even considering that?

Not sure £25m gets you a decent Championship midfielder today.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Went to the Dijon game today. Lemina wasn’t even sitting with the rest of the subs. On his own, chatting on the sidelines by the dressing room. I’d be absolutely shocked if he plays for the club again based on what I saw today. First time post (*waves*), but not a wind up so be gentle please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to the Dijon game today. Lemina wasn’t even sitting with the rest of the subs. On his own, chatting on the sidelines by the dressing room. I’d be absolutely shocked if he plays for the club again based on what I saw today. First time post (*waves*), but not a wind up so be gentle please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not doubting that, obviously Saints haven't been what he signed up for i.e a team challenging for Europe but i.) He has been very inconsistent and ii.) He wasn't a sub today so why would he sit with them?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice