Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

Sure, Lemina is a bit flashy, but the comparison with a violent nutter like Osvaldo is way off.

The Osvaldo comparison was based on his application and ego. I'm not sure anyone has suggested he's a nutter.

I find it hard to believe anyone would doubt his skill and ability, he's got bags of it. He's pocketed Pogba every time he's faced him, and only one of them looked like a £90mil midfielder and he wasn't wearing a United shirt. He's had some absolutely superb games where he's looked a class above us. But clearly, mentality and desire is a big issue and as a result it doesn't look like we'll ever get anything more out of him. Real shame, but don't think we could've done much more.

The Osvaldo comparison was based on his application and ego. I'm not sure anyone has suggested he's a nutter.

Of course, because the most salient fact about Osvaldo's time here was his egotism. Got it. Lemina had some great games for us and some shoddy ones, and overall didn't play enough because of constant injury. I can't help but conclude that a lot of the opprobrium aimed at him has more to do with non-footballing factors.

If unforgivably bad games were the main criteria, the guardians of moral sensibility on this forum would already have torn Shane Long limb from limb.

I find it hard to believe anyone would doubt his skill and ability, he's got bags of it. He's pocketed Pogba every time he's faced him, and only one of them looked like a £90mil midfielder and he wasn't wearing a United shirt. He's had some absolutely superb games where he's looked a class above us. But clearly, mentality and desire is a big issue and as a result it doesn't look like we'll ever get anything more out of him. Real shame, but don't think we could've done much more.

Yeah 100% agree with that. You can't deny his technical ability, he's got it all.

But as you said, his desire and application to professional football is why he has never made it and probably why he won't ever make it. He may say differently when he looks in his bank, but I still think a player with his talent should have achieved more in his career. A bit of a wasted career really.

Of course, because the most salient fact about Osvaldo's time here was his egotism. Got it. Lemina had some great games for us and some shoddy ones, and overall didn't play enough because of constant injury. I can't help but conclude that a lot of the opprobrium aimed at him has more to do with non-footballing factors.

If unforgivably bad games were the main criteria, the guardians of moral sensibility on this forum would already have torn Shane Long limb from limb.

I think you misunderstand. Osvaldo was a nutter. Lemina isn't. Both are/were talented and had moments of brilliance, but both lacked application and are/were ego driven.

It's funny how many assumptions people can make from Instagram photos.

I guess a picture DOES tell a thousand words.

Behave. You only have to see the bloke on the pitch to see that he has all the talent in the world but more often than not can't be arsed. Whether that is down to ego or something else is another matter, but his "look at me" insta is all about ego.

Behave. You only have to see the bloke on the pitch to see that he has all the talent in the world but more often than not can't be arsed. Whether that is down to ego or something else is another matter, but his "look at me" insta is all about ego.

No difference between Lemina and Ings Instagram. Maybe Ings has more shirtless selfies.

If his Instagram helps you justify your agenda against him then great. But his Instagram is no more indulgent than Ings or tons of other football players

No difference between Lemina and Ings Instagram. Maybe Ings has more shirtless selfies.

If his Instagram helps you justify your agenda against him then great. But his Instagram is no more indulgent than Ings or tons of other football players

"Agenda". Behave. If you ever got to a saints game pal you'd have seen a player who made little or no effort more often than not. My opinion on him is based primarily on that, and the obvious fact that he's wasting a huge talent. Do you disagree with that also?

The insta thing is very much secondary, but the fact that he comes across as an ego driven helmet doesn't improve my opinion of him.

According to Transfermrkt, he cost us £15.53m. IIRC it was a 4 year contract, so he has 18 months left. I'd take €8m, as not looking to make a profit, just shift on a signing that hasn't worked out.

Can also include other clauses if they do well and a decent sell on percent when he inevitably leaves.

• 2 weeks later...
talksport reporting again that we're in talks with Galatasaray over a permanent cut price deal.

Can't believe we're willing to take such a loss on him, still think he's worth at least £15m.

Is that Alex Crook "south coast football expert"

Cut our losses and get shot of him

Agreed. He has rarely looked interested while he's been with us. Shame as there's a brilliant player in there.

Yep, when he wanted to be he was excellent, but two great games a season isn't enough i'm afraid. Sadly it seems he's another one more interested in being a celebrity than a footballer.

After this season might he repent and make it worth another try?

His performance in the fa cup semi against Chelsea will live long in the memory. I've never seen any player look so disinterested in such a big game.

Ability wise he was a great signing, but attitude wise he was a shocker. Sadly I can't see any chance of him fulfilling his potential here or anywhere and I'd take the most cash available this summer to get him off the books.

His performance in the fa cup semi against Chelsea will live long in the memory. I've never seen any player look so disinterested in such a big game.

Ability wise he was a great signing, but attitude wise he was a shocker. Sadly I can't see any chance of him fulfilling his potential here or anywhere and I'd take the most cash available this summer to get him off the books.

This.

Could be great but can’t be bothered to apply himself and get his head down.

This.

It's incredible that at 26 he's played more times for us than any other club, yet he seemed to miss more games than he played for us. He's only played more than 25 games in a season once, for us in his first season here. Could be a brilliant player if he wanted to be but i'd fully expect him to carry on with his 20 games a season average until his early 30s still thinking he's far better than the clubs he plays for.

Agreed. He has rarely looked interested while he's been with us. Shame as there's a brilliant player in there.

Absolute rubbish. A cold, hailing home game at St Mary‘s against Liverpool a few winters back he was the one motivated player on the pitch, chasing down players, hustling players off the ball. He was motivated and interested where the rest of our players didn’t have a leader amongst them and were noticeably lack lustre. I appreciate the club reported Lemina had a seeming attitude problem or some falling out they don’t want to divulge but the times I saw him play, no issues were evident he was not motivated. In fact, It’s crazy he is being loaned out when he is the type of player we are crying out for and we are desperately short in midfield. Furthermore, many times, Lemina has stood out as being more motivated and committed than most. Unusual of you to be towing the club party line Egg.

Lemina on his day is one of the best midfielders we've had in years. Thing is, his attitude means we've only seen that a couple of times. We need him off the wage bill now and unfortunately other clubs know it so won't offer much.

I'll be happy to see the back of him tbh, which is a shame.

Lemina on his day is one of the best midfielders we've had in years. Thing is, his attitude means we've only seen that a couple of times. We need him off the wage bill now and unfortunately other clubs know it so won't offer much.

I'll be happy to see the back of him tbh, which is a shame.

Agreed. I remember the pundits singing his praises as the best player on the pitch at the start of the season when he first arrived.

Absolute rubbish. A cold, hailing home game at St Mary‘s against Liverpool a few winters back he was the one motivated player on the pitch, chasing down players, hustling players off the ball. He was motivated and interested where the rest of our players didn’t have a leader amongst them and were noticeably lack lustre. I appreciate the club reported Lemina had a seeming attitude problem or some falling out they don’t want to divulge but the times I saw him play, no issues were evident he was not motivated. In fact, It’s crazy he is being loaned out when he is the type of player we are crying out for and we are desperately short in midfield. Furthermore, many times, Lemina has stood out as being more motivated and committed than most. Unusual of you to be towing the club party line Egg.

Of all the opinions against Lemina you choose to focus on mine, but you're a lone voice mate. If you saw him regularly, and particularly in that semi final, you'd agree with the concensus. It's all about opinions, but I never thought I'd see anyone trying to argue that Lemina consistently showed passion and commitment in a saints shirt.

WBA away/Palace away amongst some others he has looked world class, almost comparable to Pogba.

Unfortunately though this was probably about 1 every 6/7 games on average.

I really do rate him and still think he could have helped reach higher heights especially with the formation we are playing now.

However it is clear he values his social media equally, if not more, than the ability he has been blessed with.

I’d take £12-£15m now than another loan move

Of all the opinions against Lemina you choose to focus on mine, but you're a lone voice mate. If you saw him regularly, and particularly in that semi final, you'd agree with the concensus. It's all about opinions, but I never thought I'd see anyone trying to argue that Lemina consistently showed passion and commitment in a saints shirt.
Egg has some ridiculous opinions but he's 100% right here.

Egg has some ridiculous opinions but he's 100% right here.

Hypo, quit following me with your pathetic trolling. Feel free to pm me with any opinion you have of me and I'll be happy to explain what a helmet you clearly are.

After this season might he repent and make it worth another try?

Don't think his ego would let him "repent", how may chances do you give him ? I think he should be filed along with Osvaldo as an expensive egotistical flop.

This.

This sums it up for me. Clearly the "black box" did it's homework on attitude when bringing him in, or did Les switch that particular filter off.

However it is clear he values his social media equally, if not more, than the ability he has been blessed with.

I’d take £12-£15m now than another loan move

Think the club would be delighted at taking £12-15m for him too, but can't see anyone offering that for him.

I concur he wasn’t always the most committed and went off the boil but there were times when he was a leading player in the squad and I distinctly remember it from the Liverpool game so I’m just correcting you. I don’t care about consensus. I know what I saw.

Have no idea how he is doing but whoscored seems to have him getting decent ratings for Galatasaray. They also seem to be in what looks like a 6 team battle for the title, so hopefully if they finish in Champions league places and hes done well we might be able to get a decent fee off them.

Can't see him coming back, just not committed enough I don't think for Ralph's liking. The Turkish league is probably good for him, he can probably play at like 70-80% and still be good in that league in most games and he'll get some appearances in the Europe league or Champs league to placate his giant ego.

It's incredible that at 26 he's played more times for us than any other club, yet he seemed to miss more games than he played for us. He's only played more than 25 games in a season once, for us in his first season here. Could be a brilliant player if he wanted to be but i'd fully expect him to carry on with his 20 games a season average until his early 30s still thinking he's far better than the clubs he plays for.

Didn’t realise that. If he had JWPs work ethic he would be a fantastic player but he hasn’t. I hope in years to come he doesn’t think what might have been. I don’t know why but those that waste a talent really bug me.

Hypo, quit following me with your pathetic trolling. Feel free to pm me with any opinion you have of me and I'll be happy to explain what a helmet you clearly are.

To be fair, I think some of your opinions are odd and I never thought I'd read a strong defence of the current board / Gao for what they haven't achieved yet here we are. You aren't the only culprit.

On this forum we have a strong cross section of people (strangely) defend this abysmal owner compared to, perhaps, other cross sections of the fan base. But that's ok...I guess. Base this uncharacteristic club cheer leading (or barbed comments and a resentment tone against a dissenting voice) that predominates this forum on whatever suspicions you may have (very different to TUI, most Southampton pub goers and long serving fans) but I won't speculate, opinions vary. That's the idea of a message forum.

Lemina is undoubtedly talented but, seemingly, has an attitude symptomatic of many a modern day football millionaire. Able to put in half the effort yet still get handsomely rewarded. Seems crazy when he could put in the effort for the talent he undoubtedly has and possibly double his salary and build for the future but he clearly hasn't the foresight or will to do so.

Very talented, with a mental block. Will never reach his potential as he's clearly content half ass-ing it. He had dreams of Utd and ended up in Turkey.

We're not going to get our money back on him, so take the cut price and move on. I'm sure I saw a stat where he's only played about 38 games out of nearly 80? Him being on our books is stopping us having a good player who will actually play for us and give us more options. Time to move on from this one.

Don't think I could ever forgive him for the way he casually strolled around in the FA Cup Semi Final V Chelsea.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Said already - 10 minutes to put on a replacement pair of football boots at Wolves, can be slotted in alongside that - anyone still holding a candle for this guy................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice